5.0 out of 5 stars The Sony BDP-S1100: Outstanding Value At This Price Level
Published 14 months ago by One-Shot Scot

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work with Amazon Instant Video in HD.
This is a decent Blu-Ray player. It works extremely well with Netflix, Vudu, and a host of other source providers.

That said, it doesn't work with Amazon Instant Video (High Definition). Unfortunately, the system shows you HD content as a default if available for the title you select.

Here's the link to Sony's own knowledge base article stating...
Published 8 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sony BDP-S1100: Outstanding Value At This Price Level, May 19, 2013
This review is from: BDP-S1100 Blu-ray Player, Streaming, Wired (Electronics)
The Sony BDP-S1100 is the best non-3D Blu-ray/DVD player that I have seen, anywhere near its price range. It takes 15 seconds to load Blu-ray disks, which took around 2 minutes to load in one of my earlier Panasonic players. A couple of Blu-ray disks (The King's Speech and Casino) would only load in this Panasonic player if I unplugged the Internet connection. Eventually, a firmware update came along which allowed loading of these titles, but they still loaded very slowly.

The owner's manual that came with the BDP-S1100 lists two Sony models in its title: BDP-S1100/BX110. However, the two models appear to be identical other than their different nomenclature. According to the owner's manual, the only difference between these two models is that the BX110 comes with a "High Speed HDMI Cable."

The Sony BDP-S1100/BX110 is not WiFi capable, nor is it WiFi ready. The only way to connect this player to the Internet is through the use of a LAN cable. When using a LAN cable, this player connects to the Internet quickly and produces fast and accurate streaming content. With Comcast Internet, the player quickly set itself up through the use of its Auto settings.

My previous experience with all-in-one Blu-ray players has found their Internet streaming capabilities lacking. This was not a problem for me because I have a Roku 2 XS for my Netflix and Amazon streaming videos. I assumed that this Sony player would be no exception and that its Internet streaming capabilities would not be good. But I registered the player with Netflix and Amazon just to see if it would actually play streaming video with any degree of accuracy. (By the way, the player has the ability to erase all personal data from its internal memory should ownership of the player ever be transferred.)

To my surprise, this player does an excellent job of streaming both Netflix and Amazon content. No dropouts, no stuttering and no lockups. The Sony streaming video interfaces are slightly different from those of the Roku, but they are very intuitive and easily learned. I couldn't be happier with the performance of this Sony player's streaming video performance.

This Sony player quickly loads both Blu-ray and DVD disks and when the Auto function is used, it plays both Blu-ray and DVD disks in 24p mode. The remote control system is very sensitive and the player responds quickly and accurately to all commands. The player allows faster loading of Blu-ray disks by allowing the BD Internet Connection to be shut off. I have shut off this feature because I have found nearly all BD Internet content to be a complete waste of time. There is also an optional Quick Start Mode which allows Blu-ray disks to load faster.

One of the audio settings of the Sony player was somewhat confusing to me until I did some research. The BD Audio MIX Setting when set to On produces a multi-channel PCM signal only, presumably adding alternate soundtrack information to the main audio program. When this option is set to Off, the primary soundtrack comprised of various audio types, such as Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD and True HD are available. I set this option to Off.

A USB input on the front of the player allows the playback of MP4, MP3, WMV, JPG pictures etc., (those are the only formats that I have tried so far) and the USB device is also used to store BD data in a "buda" file, which the player can delete on demand.

My Pioneer receiver has the ability to correct lip sync problems through the use of an audio delay setting. The Sony player did not need any audio sync correction and the HDMI audio signal arrived at the receiver perfectly synchronized with the video. At least that's my assumption, because the Sony player, Samsung TV and Pioneer receiver may all be working seamlessly together. There could still be lip sync problems with other combinations of playback equipment. However, the player also has the ability to do an Audio/Video sync from 0 to 120 msec and the default setting is 0 msec.

Notes:

There is a coaxial digital audio output jack in the back of the unit -- a feature that is becoming rare in entry-level Blu-ray players. I did not check the digital audio output for possible lip sync issues.

Once the Internet connection was established, the player offered to update its software version to M14.R.0093 and this update was accomplished quickly.

The player generates almost no heat and therefore does not have a cooling fan.

This Sony player has a light that indicates that the player is turned on, but it does not display any disk time or chapter information on the unit. This disk information can be displayed on screen by pressing the "DISPLAY" button on the remote while the disk is playing.

UPDATE 12/08/2013 Regarding Netflix Dolby Digital Plus Audio: In order to receive DD+ sound, you must have a DD+ capable receiver AND make the appropriate Netflix settings in "Your Account" Playback settings. I just ran through the Netflix settings and got these results:

Low (0.3 GB per hour)=PCM Stereo.
Medium (0.7 GB per hour)=Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio.
High (3 GB per hour)=Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT BLU RAY PLAYER, March 23, 2013
This review is from: BDP-S1100 Blu-ray Player, Streaming, Wired (Electronics)
This was easy to install. It plays perfectly and the difference with a regular DVD is apparent. With Blu Ray it is outstanding. I wish it had wi-fi but I use a Roku with perfect results. The unit is small and light and the directions are clear. A great buy at Amazon. You need to buy an HDMI cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a gem for an entry level player, June 8, 2013
This review is from: BDP-S1100 Blu-ray Player, Streaming, Wired (Electronics)
This player is a great entry level player for someone who is looking to buy their first BD player. This player will play pretty much anything you have in your disc library. It will access the internet to use apps like Huluplus, Netflix, Amazon instant, etc... The audio preamp is a nice one for it's price range. I was surprised to hear a major difference between the first BD player I had and this one. Now be aware, on the back of this player there is only an HDMI out, coaxial audio out, and an ethernet input. This unit does not have a fiber optic audio output and it does not have built in wireless internet. I was prepared for this fact and this player works well! Now there is a usb jack on the front of the player but I think it is for playing content only, not for a wireless internet adapter.
The one difficulty I had with this player is getting it to access the internet. Everything set up easily enough, it detected my router and set itself up accordingly, tested and had access to the internet. But it would not access a thing on the internet. I searched forums, I even called support at Sony (he thought the player was defective) to no avail. I finally stumbled onto a forum with a solution for another player that actually worked for mine. When setting up the network, under the internet IP address portion of the setup, I found that I had to set up 2 settings under that heading to make this thing work. This is what I changed:

Primary DNS - 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS - 8.8.4.4

After I changed those 2 settings, the network accessed the internet flawlessly. It took me hours before I found this fix. If you're having the same difficulty, give this solution a shot. Hopefully you find this review and this solution works for you before you spend hours trying everything else. :-)

Buy this player with confidence. I think when you hook it up and start using it, I think you will be impressed.

Btw, I own a Sony Bravia TV and the TV instantly recognized the BD player and set itself up to interact with the player using it's remote and automatically labeled the HDMI port I plugged it into as BD! I thought that was kinda cool.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work with Amazon Instant Video in HD., November 23, 2013
Amazon Customer (Lawrence, Kansas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BDP-S1100 Blu-ray Player, Streaming, Wired (Electronics)

Here's the link to Sony's own knowledge base article stating such: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37566/p/47329%2C47564%2C74091/c/65%2C66/kw/amazon%20video%20buffering

Yes, that link is 7 months old. Which tells me this isn't a priority for Sony. One other thing, the remote has an actual Netflix button on it. Whether or not that has anything to do with this issue, I have no idea.

I bought this specifically for Netflix and Amazon Instant Video playback. As such, this broke the deal for me. If you're wanting this for Blu-Ray playing as well as Netflix, it's great. If you want your Amazon Instant Video in HD? Avoid at all costs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing DVD player for the money, November 1, 2013
This review is from: BDP-S1100 Blu-ray Player, Streaming, Wired (Electronics)
I really like this player. It does a nice job of up-converting regular DVD movies to near HD quality, the software is sensibly written and easy to navigate, and downloading a software update went without a hitch, after being prompted to do so by the player. With all this going for it, Sony has loaded the player up with so many applications like Hulu and Amazon, it's fascinating just to spend 3 hours like my wife and I did just going through all the programs to see what they would do and movies you could get. I opted not to buy the wireless network model, which was about $30 more, because it was simple and convenient just to hook up an Ethernet wire between the player and the Direct TV DVR receiver to connect to the internet, since they were side by side anyway. And this way, you don't encounter those wireless network glitches that happen once in a while. If you are looking to buy a DVD player, I think you will be very, very happy with this model. I know I am!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little BluRay player, June 5, 2013
This review is from: BDP-S1100 Blu-ray Player, Streaming, Wired (Electronics)
I'm happy with the price, I am happy with the shipping, I am happy with the performance. I wanted a quality BluRay player with no frills and a great picture, I got exactly that. I would recommend this to anyone that needs a quality player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ok, I did a lot of research..and it plays Amazon Prime and Netflix, July 6, 2013
This review is from: BDP-S1100 Blu-ray Player, Streaming, Wired (Electronics)
I purchased this model (and a 3100) after a lot of research, lol, standing in Wal-mart in front of models researching amazon reviews.
My main concern was that it played both Amazon Prime and Netflix. It does. Great Sound and picture quality (full HD 1080p).
It does play videos via USB.
Only the 3100 has wi-fi connection, but the media area I purchased this model for, was were the modem was located, and it was less expensive. The 3100 works wonderfully as well.
All and all, I am pleasantly impressed with my purchase. I will purchase more of the 3100's for my parent's home.

Oh, and it plays Blu-rays and the remote works seamlessly with my Older Sony TV.

1.0 out of 5 stars It ate our DVD, September 1, 2013
This review is from: BDP-S1100 Blu-ray Player, Streaming, Wired (Electronics)
Remember when Sony was the elite brand in electronics? That day is over. Bought this player 3 1/2 months ago and have used it just a few times. This week, after we watched a Harry Potter movie, I hit the eject button on the remote and the display says "Eject key not available." Have tried unplugging, hitting various combinations of buttons, etc. and nothing works. Not only is the player worthless to me now, it won't give up our Harry Potter movie. And of course, we're just outside the warranty period.

5.0 out of 5 stars finally what i want, February 27, 2013
This review is from: BDP-S1100 Blu-ray Player, Streaming, Wired (Electronics)
exactly all i need. 7.1 ,hdmi,ethernet - simple and works great . minor issue is the remote app does not work with this unit at this writing.
but other than that works great. watching judge dredd (2012) with 7.1 AWSOME .VERY HAPPY -GOT RID OF THE SAMSUNG THAT COST > $250 and did less than this one. Sony is on the way back , starting to do things right.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal! No wifi, sure, but that's clearly marked on the box., December 29, 2013
This review is from: BDP-S1100 Blu-ray Player, Streaming, Wired (Electronics)
I picked this up on clearance at Best Buy. For the money, you really can't beat this little player. I have not tested it out with Blu-ray discs yet, as I don't even own any. My reason for purchasing was mainly for streaming services. I have tested it successfully with the following:

Netflix
Hulu Plus
Amazon Prime Instant Video (requires free registration with Sony Essentials--why? I don't know.)
Youtube
NBA League Pass Broadband

There are a lot of options for streaming content with or without the above services. For example, you have the "Sony Entertainment Network (SEN)" content as well as Opera TV Apps. This is nice because new channels/apps will continue to show up in the future, as opposed to on my other old Blue-ray player which just has vudu and Netflix apps and no way to add additional apps/channels.

I laughed when I saw this marked down at Best Buy because I saw the "Requires Wired Ethernet Cable for Streaming Services". I immediately knew why there were so many open box returns that were marked down. People do not stop and read, so I don't feel bad for anyone who negatively reviewed this device due to its lack of wifi--I would suggest taking such reviews with a grain of salt. I don't blame Sony for this, but at the same time, it really does explain why these are marked down.

Personally, I do not have a network jack near my TV, nor do I feel like running a cable across my house, so I used a wireless bridge to provide network connectivity for the Sony BDP-S1100 in my bedroom. To be honest, I only did this because I already owned this wireless bridge. If I did not already own it, I probably would not have bothered purchasing the BDP-S1100 due to lack of wifi. Again, that is not a knock against Sony. It just wouldn't make sense to buy this AND a wireless bridge when you can instead spend a few more bucks on a Blu-ray player that includes wifi.

So...on to the verdict. Do I recommend this?

YES, but only if your TV is located near your cable modem/router so that you can plug an Ethernet cable into the Blu-ray player to provide Internet connectivity (or if you already own a wireless bridge that you can use instead). Also, I would most definitely not pay the full retail price on this. Chances are, it can be found marked down all over the place due to the lack of wifi. I paid $38 for mine. I wouldn't recommend paying more than that.

Thanks for reading!