Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BEARPAW Women's Emma Short Boot,Black,9 M US
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: 9 B(M) US|Color: Black|Change

on November 18, 2013
I'm writing this review only hours after I got these boots, and I am SO excited to try them out outside in the cold weather! I'm in Madison, Wisconsin, and this week is going to stay in the 30's and even dip into the 20's (Fahrenheit!). I will update this review accordingly, and come back in a couple months to write details on durability when it comes to some real winter weather (hello blizzards and -20 degrees!!).

The first thing I noticed out of the box is that they don't have any weird smells, which is great. The outside smell faintly of leather, because that's what they're made of. I looked up the company, and Bearpaw's boots are outside = leather, inside = sheepskin. So if you're thinking about using these in snow like me, we need to waterproof these babies! Luckily I have a spray already to use on them.

The inside of these boots is SO SOFT. If I wore these barefoot (which you can, apparently, but for me - ew! I get sweaty feet), my feet would be in heaven. I tried wearing them with bare legs to see how soft it felt (because against your hands it doesn't feel that soft, it's got kind of a soft, but wooly feel to it) and against my legs it felt so fluffy and silky, so airy!! And warm!! None of the color (I ordered Chocolate) has transferred to my socks/pants. Awesome!

Also, from ALL the pictures I browsed through on the internet, none of them had any good views of the inner lining. I really wanted to judge how thick it was before I ordered, but since I couldn't find any good pictures, I just trusted the reviews saying that they're warm enough for really, really cold winters. And the lining is decently thick - I'd say it's about an inch thick, although over time it might get compressed a little with constant wear. The soles are a different color wool than the rest (it's white instead of chocolate), but still soft and fluffy. It feels like I'm walking on down pillows, mmmm! I put up several pictures of my boots if anyone is interested - of all angles, including the lining! Here is a link to my video of the boot:
[...]

Some of the reviews said that after a month or two the lining starts wearing off and comes off on your clothes... The lining looks pretty well made, so I don't know if that will happen, but I will update this review if it does start coming off. Hopefully not... I am really loving these!

The bottom of the boots is made of really nice, sturdy but flexible rubber and I can see this really holding up for Wisconsin winters! So excited!! It's as thick as my other winter boots, so that's great news.

SIZE:
I read so many reviews about what size to order, and it just got confusing. There were pretty much equal amounts of reviews telling you to order down a size, or order up a size. So I went to the Bearpaw website and they suggested ordering up a size...

I usually wear a 9.5 exact (no size 9, no size 10), so I decided to order a size 10. It makes sense, because there's a layer of fluff that you have to consider when you think about how much space there is for your feet. The size 10 fits me really well. When I first put them on, they seemed a tad bit small, but after walking around in them for a few hours, they're already form-fitting to my feet.

Basically: when you order, think about what your size would be when considering an extra inch of lining around your feet, and also remember that you don't want to order too large, because they do form around your feet after some use (that lining will be squished by your walking!). If you're a half size, order the next whole size like I did. I can't speak for people who have whole sizes because I didn't have that situation, but hopefully a size up won't be too big!

On an interesting side note, I think I remember that the Bearpaw website says you can wear these in any kind of weather - and I think that's just weird? How could you wear these on a hot summer day?? These are real winter boots and your feet would hate you for that, hah!

**** UPDATE ************************ UPDATE ************************* UPDATE ******************************************
January 2, 2014

So good news everyone! Turns out that the fur lining does NOT rub off on your clothes/socks. I think it kind of did like the second or third day I wore it (probably because it was getting broken in), but it wasn't even that much, and after that it has NEVER happened again. The color never has rubbed off on anything, even in the beginning.

So at this point I would DEFINITELY recommend that you DO NOT buy a size up if you can get your exact size. Only order a little up if you have a half size, just because they don't sell half sizes. After breaking them in they really form fit to your feet, so don't freak out if they feel a little tight when you first get them (it's just that the lining hasn't been squished by your feet yet - think of it like getting super fluffy slippers that mold to your feet).

The boot itself is holding up phenomenal, it's so worth the money! The rubber sole looks barely touched or scuffed or worn down at all and I've been wearing them daily since I got these (so mid-November til beginning of January at this point). I used them to walk to class every day (a mile or two) and I have been running and tramping through half a foot of snow with them. Waterproofing them helps them keep dry and also miraculously keeps all traces of salt stains off - they literally look like I just got them like last week, it's amazing.

As for the stitching on the sides - before I bought them I read some reviews saying that the thread has come apart on the stitching on the outside. So far for me, the stitching has been doing really great - I think there were a couple tiny fly aways at first but it's inconsequential to the strength of the stitches (holding up real well) and no more are occurring over time.

So finally the weather has been getting really cold here (this week we are getting -45 degrees Fahrenheit with the windchill factor and several inches of snow), and I never leave the house without these boots! Actually if I wear them inside the house my feet get too warm. These keep me warm no matter what I'm doing (hiking, walking on frozen lakes, walking through snow and wind). Because of these boots, I actually don't care about the weather outside anymore! I never worry about my toes getting cold, which was a HUGE problem with some of my other boots I've had over the years, because even though the boots were thick and sturdy on the outside (hard rubber or leather), they just didn't keep my toes warm. These are life savers for a Wisconsin girl in Winter!! I don't care about people who say they would never buy them because they look like uggs - I bought these for warmth and boy do they deliver. I have always gone for comfort when it comes to apparel and this is going to be a staple of mine if they don't discontinue these for the next few decades.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
1111 comments| 497 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2011
I just received my Chocolate Bearpaws. After reading some reviews, I was a little nervous about the size. I take a size 8 but in some cuts of shoe or boot I can take an 8.5. I ordered a size 8 and they fit perfectly! My feet were in heaven as soon as I put them on. I truly cannot tell the difference between these and the Uggs. Someone commented that there was no sheepskin fur on the insole where your foot rests. There sure is and it feels great. If I had gone a size up, which for me would have been a 9, it definitely would have been way too big. These fit the same as the Uggs, at least for me. Color was true to pic. I can't see spending a whole lot of extra money when these are just as good. Also, someone said that the other brands are made in Australia and Bearpaws is made in China. You better take a look again. They are ALL made in China. None of them are made in Australia! Some said that the outer skin of the others is sheepskin while Bearpaw if Cow leather. Well, yes, Bearpaw exterior is "Suede", not sheepskin. But "Suede" is more durable, in my opinion. Both are delicate materials. However, again read labels carefully on other known brands. They all say "Leather upper"....."sheepskin lining". None of them say "sheepskin upper" so I don't know. I have a feeling they are all the same. Bearpaw does make a fake suede and fake fur at a much lesser price. These (Emma short) is the real deal. I can't wait to sink my feet in these when the weather gets colder. My friend's "Bearpaws" held up better for her than her more expensive brand. For the money, this can't be beat. And remember, for all suede and sheepskin, you need to waterproof and stainproof them before using them in rain and snow. None of these brands claim to be waterproof or stainproof. They are suede in nature, after all. So you need to be careful. I will update again once I've gotten through the winter with them to let you all know how they held up. I will not be wearing them every day at the exclusion of all other shoes and boots so I plan to enjoy these for many years to come! Stitching and seaming seem to be the same as other brands as well. Can't go wrong for the money! Came quickly. Packaging was great. Got mine directly through Amazon, not third party merchant. Sometimes that can make a difference. When dealing directly with Amazon, I have never had a problem.
99 comments| 615 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2013
Now I am an Ugg boot wearer but when I received these I was impressed. They actually fit better than Uggs! The only difference is the name. So, before you spend 200 dollars on 1 pair you can get 3 or 4 BCs.
on December 10, 2015
I ordered a pair of these as a gift for someone else. She said she wanted a chestnut color, a medium brown. The closest thing to that color was the Chocolate II---or so I thought. The pair that I recieved are a very dark brown color, a lot darker than the color that is displayed online. I was so disappointed. But since it is so close to Christmas, I don't have time to send these back and get a different pair in a lighter color. So I hope my friend likes these...Anyway, if you are considering getting the Chocolate II color, you should know that they will be a lot darker than the color you see here.
review image
on January 5, 2014
I wear a 7.5-8 Women's normally in all of my shoes. Purchased a 8. I wish the toe area had just a little more room but I know if I got the 9 it would be way too big. It isn't too small or too big, guess you can say it's just perfect. Too bad boots don't come in half size though. Love the color.
on February 17, 2016
Theses came in a Bearpaw box with the tag still attach to them. I have to say they are super amazing! They are super warm a little stiff but they are new and eventually stretch a little so no big deal. The photo doesn't do justice to the actual color. They are very shiny in real life. Another thing to mention about these boots they are little tight it must be the style of these boots.
review image review image
on March 5, 2016
Ordered Jan.18 2016 received Jan. 21 2016 2weeks within the first time my daughter wore it started showing signs of peeling on the bottom of 1 of the boot I Ignored it thinking she might've stepped on something following the second time she wore it to school and came home as you can see from the second and last photo of what had happened I should've returned it with the first signs of the peeling which I gratefully ignored and now I'm stuck with a pair boots which is terribly ruined less than 45 days less then 4 x of used! Sadly this is not our first, second, or third pair of bear Bearpaw boots. I believe this pair which I received was stuck in storage for so long with hot conditions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
review image review image review image review image
on January 20, 2014
While I like the boots and they are comfortable, they are not the bright red of the picture. The boots are actually a dark reddish brown and the interior fleece is light beige. The color in the advertised picture is very misleading. Even under bright outdoor sunlight, these boots are not the red in your picture.
on February 1, 2016
This is my second pair of these boots. I have them in grey and now brown. They will feel slightly tight when new but that just means you got the right size. After wearing them a bit they will stretch out and will fit perfectly. They are very warm and cozy and look really nice on. I've had my grey pair for a few years now and they are still in really good shape. I like them better than my Uggs and Emu's and they are much more affordable. These are my favorite boots and I wear them often.
on January 9, 2016
I placed the order for the gold/bronze, two-tone color that I saw the the pic., but once I placed my order, the order detail said I ordered them in choc. suede. Anyway, they sent them in a an all bronze color instead of the two-tone ones I ordered.

The boots RUN SMALL AND THEY FEEL LIKE HEAVY MOON BOOTS! I felt like Neil Armstrong walking on the moon! I couldn't bend my feet while walking around the house. Plus, the ankle/leg opening is TIGHT/NARROW. I haven't had any problems wearing a 12M in any other shoes or boots from any other company. I am returning these ASAP!!

The 1st pic attached is what I saw advertised and the 2nd pic is what I actually received.
review image review image