1,578 Reviews
 (1,021)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple, Well-Designed, Easy To Use Timer Switch
With many "Conserve" products, Belkin doesn't necessarily create a brand new concept with their creation, but they excel in design and execution!

I am a fan of their remote-switch "Conserve" power strip, and I love this little gadget too.

Published on August 6, 2010 by P. Colin McGraw

3.0 out of 5 stars At first, I was happy with this purchase... (review updated)
I originally bought three of these, as I knew I wanted at least two right away. I sort of figured another usage would show itself eventually.

Published on August 10, 2011 by Knightwind

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple, Well-Designed, Easy To Use Timer Switch, August 6, 2010

It's essentially just a timer for an outlet, not unlike the existing products you can find on Amazon, but Belkin greatly simplified the controls, and made it so the power timer is on-demand instead of on a schedule.

Unlike the relatively complicated dials of some other timers, the controls on the Belkin Conserve Socket are pretty much idiot proof. There's a switch on the site that lets you choose from one of three time increments (1/2 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours), then a button on top to start the timer. It then shuts itself off when the time elapses. That's it! Easy.

It's perfect for keeping a lamp on while the kids go to sleep, for charging gadgets where you want to reduce phantom draw, and this Christmas, I think I'm going to try it out for attaching my Christmas tree lights (turning the lights on only when we want to for a time).

Overall this is a nice, simple (and inexpensive!) product.

3.0 out of 5 stars At first, I was happy with this purchase... (review updated), August 10, 2011

Anyway, I bought one for my stereo system, as I like to go to sleep with music. Yet, I wanted it to turn off the entire system after so many minutes, as I usually fall asleep pretty quickly. The 30 minute setting was perfect for this, and it performs flawlessly. I really like that the unit has a LED on the same side as the button, so you KNOW when it's on, AND, it's a green LED that turns bright immediately, then drops to a dim glow until the unit turns off. This is wonderful for bedrooms as the light is so low, you don't even notice it.

The other usage I got it for is to turn off my space heater in the winter time, as this unit can handle up to the full 15 amps of pass through current. I tested that, and that also works. I am not sure whether I will use the 30 minute, the 3 or 6 hour setting. See this is for my computer room, and I expect I'll only need it for the first 30 minutes, as my computer does a good job of heating the room after it's on a while.

Update: After only a couple of months, one of the units stopped working as a switch. It now just passes the electricity through, effectively leaving it turned on forever. This makes it worthless when it fails.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, August 11, 2010
jsinai (Palo Alto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This product works as advertised. It is just a relay that kicks off after the set amount of time. I like it because:

* It's dead easy to use
* It draws no power when off
* It is small and nice looking enough that you don't mind leaving it in a power socket
* It's rated for 15 amps, as much as any outlet can deliver, so you don't need to worry about whether you're plugging in something that could burn it out

I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars because I'd like more timeout choices than 1/2 hour, 3 hours and 6 hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simpler and easier to use than a Kill-A-Watt, October 3, 2010
The Belkin Conserve Insight is a very nice piece of hardware and has a number of advantages over the Kill-A-Watt. Firstly, there are three outputs.
1) lbs/CO2 per year (or month)
2) $/year (or month)
3) Watts
Both the CO2 and $ setting can be adjusted to account for the cost and CO2 intensity for your local utility.

Averaging. One very nice feature is that after 45 minutes, the Conserve Insight goes in to averaging mode and displays the projected CO2 and $ per year. This is excellent for appliances that are turned on and off like a laptop or a refrigerator. The Watt display, however does not average. It shows the realtime updates.

Location, Location, Location: The small display for the Conserve Insight is located on the end of a 5 foot long cord. This is much better than the Kill-A-Watt that requires you to crawl on your hands and knees to get a reading. Also, the Conserve Insight is very nicely styled and looks great on a desktop. The Kill-A-Watt is much more utilitarian.

Simple: The Conserve Insight is very simple and easy to use. Personally, I do not have any problem with the Kill-A-Watts ease of use, but I have had trouble explaining it to other people.

Range: The Insight Conserve goes down to a much lower range than the Kill-A-Watt. Whereas the Kill-A-Watt bottoms out at 1 Watt, the Conserve Insight goes down to 0.5 Watts. This is a great help when trying to understand the power usage of wall hanging bricks (AC/DC converters). I am always frustrated with the Kill-A-Watt reading either 0,1, or 2. With the Conserve Insight, I can see the difference between 1.0 and 1.2. Nice.

Limits.
There are a couple of things I do not like.

Jumping Display: The watt reading updates a little to frequently. When reading the power to my laptop it jumps quickly from 30 watts to 40 watts and back again. This makes it impossible to get a sense of average power consumption.

KWH?: There is no KWH measurement. However, this can be back calculated from the $ reading and the $/KWH setting you applied to it.

Overall:
Highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a grounded on/off switch, October 24, 2011
This review is from: Belkin Conserve Power Switch (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've wanted one of these for 20 years! Local hardware stores have long offered 2 wire ungrounded plug-in on/off switches, but for some reason never a 3 wire grounded version until now. This one is a nice white color, UL-listed, rated for 15 Amps (1,875 Watts), and its switch is lit in a pleasant green when power is on. As advertised, the switch covers only one outlet of a two position outlet, allowing two to be used together. A reputable brand, well made of good materials, and very affordable. Definitely recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, great implementation, POOR FEATURES, November 10, 2010
spin (Nashville, TN) - See all my reviews
I used to own a Kill-A-Watt, buy spilled water on it so I looked after a replacement.

I got this after reading good reviews. I was warned about the lack of functionality, but thought to myself 'surely, it can't be that bad'. It turns out it IS that bad.

Here's what I did:
After setting up the price per kWh, I plugged my small washing machine in it and ran a load. I could see the real time wattage as it was running through its different stages, and that was great. At the end, it showed me the dollar / year and dollar /month amounts. However, that is meaningless to me. I would like to know how many watts or dollars the machine used during the cycle, and it will NOT show you that. I'd like to know whether it cost me 10 cents or 30 cents to run a load. Same thing with my TV. I'd like to know the price of watching TV for one hour.

Kill-a-Watt was bulkier but offered exact and valuable numbers, not CO2 crap.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 3-Prong Switch That Lights Up, But Switch Orientation Might Not Fit Some, February 27, 2012
This review is from: Belkin Conserve Power Switch (Electronics)
Length:: 5:06 Mins

It is just a 3-prong outlet switch that lights up. The light is the only conserving aspect that reminds you that it is on so you can notice and turn it off. It is subtle enough to not draw attention. It is nice to be able to notice a little green glow in my kitchen at night and remember to turn it off. My Keureg coffee maker draws 6W when off, so this was perfect to be able to turn it off when not in use without wasting 6W. It is much more compact than having to put a whole power strip on the counter. I struggled to find any 3-prong grounded switches. This was the only one I found online or in stores from major retailers.

The orientation that hangs to the right might not fit all situations. It does allow you to fit 2 of them in a single gang outlet. But if you have a 2-gang dual outlet with power on the left and something else on the right (like a light switch) it will not fit. Also the light only faces one direction, to the right and might not face in a noticeable direction. I wish I had the choice to oriented it left or right. You can always pull out a screw driver, turn off your power, and flip the outlet upside down if it were really a problem. But I found another way, I bought a GE 58368 3-Grounded Outlet Adapter, and plugged this into that on the left side and oriented downward. So overall it hangs left and down and isn't affected by the light switch on the right. But I have to rely on the glow off the kitchen tile to see the light.

It really is just a switch with a light. It is constructed well. Only the orientation might not fit all situations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, September 3, 2010
My battery powered drills always need recharging and I was concerned about leaving them on the charger until I needed them. I've heard they could cause a fire if they get too hot. This product allows the tools to be charged but removes the danger. I purchased 4 outlets and also use them for our cell phones. You can keep your chargers plugged in but they do not draw electricity until you turn them on. The best thing is the time can be easily adjusted to 30 min, 3 hours or 6 hours. I am very pleased! The product is made very well, not shoddy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working - cheaply made, August 15, 2012
This is a cheaply made product, not up to the standards of prior Belkin purchases. Much worse is that it quit working after a few weeks. Not worth the hassle of returning. Great idea, poorly executed.

PS - It really needs 8 and 10 hour options to cover the spectrum.

4.0 out of 5 stars Your Own Outlet Monitor, September 23, 2010
I was waiting for this product to be available for long time since I wanted to measure my computer system power consumption.

This product is uniquely convenient because you can put the display at eye level, i has a 5-foot tethered cable, not like the similar priced [[ASIN: B000RGF29Q Kill-a-Watt EZ]] and others which have the display right in the device plugged into the socket, this makes reading or monitoring very hard for most of us who has the wall socket low and usually hard to reach where all the cables are. This was a Deal Breaker for me.

The price is relatively OK to Expensive, Base on the quality and features, I think $20 should be the sweet spot price and would make the majority buy it.

The manufacturer did not say the % accuracy, but based on its reading with nothing plugged in, it reads 0-0.5W, I would guess it has <0.5% accuracy, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Features: It has 3 Buttons.
Button 1: Planet image, reads your CO2 Footprint, forecasts at current usage for 30 Days or 365 Days
Button 2: Dollar Image, reads your $ impact in your electricity bill, forecasts at current usage for 30 days or 365 days.
Button 3: Ray Image, monitors the Watts being consumed at the power socket.

(After 45mins of being plugged in, it will switch to a average mode, which tracks the usage even when computer or else is off, giving you more accurate forecasts)

Features it does NOT come with:

Real time cumulative Watts/$/Co2 consumption. so you have to do your math if you are just testing watt usage over time.
Back-lighted display. Forget using this is very dark room

Will update this review after longer period of use.

I would definitely recommend this product to my friends.

Belkin Conserve Power Switch