4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the reviews make it sound - No big issues here
I got the Bella for about $10 on a clearance rack at Macy's - no box, no instructions, but I'd used a professional spinner in school and was pretty sure I could get by. The clerk assured me they had a good return policy and if I had troubles I could easily return it.

Published 12 months ago by Mitchell George

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work
Please save your money. I've used this product twice. The first time I used a new method to make the ice cream harder. On my second attempt I realized the bowl never froze completely. I've had it in my deep freezer for over 24 hours. If the bowl doesn't freeze you'll never have ice cream. I wish I had read the reviews first.
Published 19 months ago by Empressmean

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the reviews make it sound - No big issues here, January 5, 2014
This review is from: BELLA 13716 Ice Cream Maker, 1-Liter, Red (Kitchen)

I was able to find the complete manual online with recipes. I also read pretty much only bad reviews for the machine so I decided to do a test run.

I made chocolate ice cream side by side in the Bella, and with my friend's tried and true Cuisinart model. I made one cooked base, as simple as possible. I went for cooked since this will always yield better (ie. thicker) results than non-cook recipes. I've read a lot of complaints about the time it takes to make a cooked base, but honestly I threw it together while I made breakfast. Just cream, egg yolk, sugar, salt, cocoa.

I gave both freezer bowls about 30 hours each in the freezer together. I saw reviews that said the Bella didn't freeze all the way, but both bowls froze completely solid.
I also followed best-practice guidelines, which I wonder if other uses didn't know/use. I cooked my base to the point where it coated the back of a spoon. This reduction is how ice cream base is always made in high-end restaurants. I cooled in the fridge, and stuck in the freezer a few minutes before I wanted to spin the ice cream. I could see my base was nice and thick when I took it from the fridge.

I spun the base in both machines at the same time. The Cuisinart and Bella were both about as loud. The Cuisinart reached its peak thickness quicker than expected - maybe 12 minutes while the Bella took about 15. I'd say the Cuisinart was just a tick thicker in texture than the Bella, but both were the texture you'd be looking for - a thick soft-serve. It's no secret you have to freeze in a container another 2 hours with any home machine to receive a harder texture. Both bowls left a fairly frozen layer around the edges that I scraped with a spatula and just ate...yum.

I'd give the Cuisinart a 4.5 star rating. I liked everything about it, except that the plastic lid/paddle was difficult to get into place and to remove at the end. But the texture was perfect and everything stayed cold, and spun very quickly. It was also very easy to tell when the ice cream was done.

The Bella I gave only a 4. The texture was a touch softer than the Cuisinart, but this was not enough of a difference to be an issue. It was a bit tougher to tell when to remove the ice cream because the design of the Bella is to spin the paddle (whereas the Cuisinart spins the bowl, paddle stays motionless). The moving paddle on the Bella also changed directions of spin when it met enough resistance. I stuck my spoon in for a taste test and when the paddle hit the spoon it started to rotate the opposite direction. Later, when the ice cream had become quite thick, the paddle started changing directions repeatedly because it couldn't stand up to the thickness anymore. I let the machine keep spinning in this fashion for awhile for sake of the test, but I'm assuming this would be your sign to remove the ice cream.

I'm guessing most of these bad reviews came from people who were pretty unfamiliar with ice cream bases and techniques, and I think they'd get better results by following some of these best practices and reading up on home machines in general. I'll be keeping my $10 steal of a machine for future use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, June 13, 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT work!, July 4, 2013
This review is from: BELLA 13716 Ice Cream Maker, 1-Liter, Red (Kitchen)
This ice cream maker is SO LOUD. It never made any ice cream just a watery milkshake! Save your money. You get what you pay for. Wish my hubby would've checked the reviews before purchasing. Wish I could give it ZERO stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars It does not freeze!, August 22, 2013
This review is from: BELLA 13716 Ice Cream Maker, 1-Liter, Red (Kitchen)
I thought to save some money. I should have known that you only get what you pay for. the recipies tasted good,but didnot freeze not even to a soft soft serve And when I froxe them in the freezer the mis did not have the soft creamy texture of ice cream, but a frozen hard critalized mass that could not be spooned out of the container. i have tried freezing the bowl for 12-24 and 48 hours in the front and back of the freezed. I tried chilling themix in the fridge and frezzer. I got good results when the bowl was froze 48 hours and the mix was semifrozen befor addint to machine. This takes DAYs befor I can have a dish of icecream.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of junk!!, July 30, 2013
This review is from: BELLA 13716 Ice Cream Maker, 1-Liter, Red (Kitchen)
Don't waste your money! I froze the bowl for 24 hours (they recommended 12 hrs.) and it just made the mixture a little slushy...and that was after an hour of stirring! The machine is loud and it was hard to get the lid on and off properly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, August 31, 2013
This review is from: BELLA 13716 Ice Cream Maker, 1-Liter, Red (Kitchen)
Freezing container has been in the freezer for 3 weeks - haven't had a chance to use it - so it SHOULD be frozen. Using COLD ice cream mixture -- has been running, LOUDLY, for over an hour. So far - nothing except a little colder than when i put it on!! SPEND YOUR MONEY ON A KRUP OR CUISINART! Glad this one is just for 2nd home -- going in the garbage.

2.0 out of 5 stars It was ok, May 9, 2013
This review is from: BELLA 13716 Ice Cream Maker, 1-Liter, Red (Kitchen)
I did not like the way the ice cream turned out. It took much longer than the instructions stated for it to work

1.0 out of 5 stars If I could give it a Zero I would, September 24, 2013
Save your money!!!
You'll have better luck making Ice Cream on the stove than with this.
I'll be sure to return it as soon as possible

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed in results, June 9, 2013
This review is from: BELLA 13716 Ice Cream Maker, 1-Liter, Red (Kitchen)
My daughter and I tried this twice, each time it didn't make a soft serve type frozen dessert, each time it only "froze" it to the consistency of a partially melted milk shake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good machine, December 20, 2014
This review is from: BELLA 13716 Ice Cream Maker, 1-Liter, Red (Kitchen)
I got this for a really good price before I found reviews on it. I was worried before using it, but mine works just fine. I threw the bowl in the freezer two days before I actually used it and made sure the ice cream was chilled from the fridge before I put it in the maker and it churned soft serve consistency ice cream. I notice people comment that a lot of ice cream makers are really loud, but I didn't think anything of the noise it made. It didn't seem overly loud to me. This is the only ice cream maker I've ever used, but I can say I'm very happy with its performance.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›