5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
Published on November 9, 2010 by Daniel Shea

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't fire your editor just yet, Jeremy
I understand that Jeremy Robinson posted this unpublished, unedited novel for sale on the Kindle as an experiment, but it really isn't in shape to be sold. There is a reason why authors work with editors--they help strengthen the work. Then again, I'm biased; I'm an editor.

Published on April 12, 2010 by Susan Tunis

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't fire your editor just yet, Jeremy, April 12, 2010
This review is from: BENEATH - A Novel (Kindle Edition)

Ultimately, I give this novel three stars, because my frustration with sloppy story-telling, ridiculous science, and unforgivable typographic errors was balanced by Robinson's pulpy inventiveness and a sense of fun. This novel was completely ridiculous, but I just can't deny that I had a good time reading it. And it was a quick read, so I'm being generous. (BTW, Kindle readers--it's a REALLY quick read, as the novel stops at the 84% mark. The rest of the file is filled with promotional excerpts of other novels.)

The story opens with a team of researchers in the Arctic. A meteorite hunter witnesses a meteorite's fall to the ice. He and his colleagues find the rock, but close contact with this object spells disaster. In the worst way imaginable, we may just have found proof of life on other planets--or moons as the case may be. The meteorite fell from Europa, one of Jupiter's moons.

On the other side of the planet, Kathy Connelly and her colleagues are about to finally fulfill a goal years in the making. They're about to engage their innovative ice drilling technology to reach liquid water deep under the Antarctic ice. It'll be the discovery of a lifetime! But at the penultimate moment the organization that funds their research calls them back.

And as suddenly as that, this team of researchers is on a crash training course for a space mission. Forget finding liquid water in Antarctica, they're going to drill for water on Europa. Absolutely no one is prepared for what they will discover there.

Yes, this is the stuff of pulp fiction. Really, ridiculous is the best description. And stupid. Seriously, these are the most absurd and unbelievable scientists ever written. But if you come at it with the right frame of mind, you'll keep turning the pages. Just don't expect a realistic or especially coherent story. Just have a laugh and some outlandish fluffy fun.

UPDATE 4/6/2011: Please see author Jeremy Robinson's helpful response in the comments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, November 9, 2010
This review is from: BENEATH - A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book with the understanding that it was self published because Jeremy Robinson couldn't get a publisher since the book is science fiction. What a shame. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. There were many twists and turns that I didn't expect and it was very well paced. I judge a book on some pretty simple criteria: 1. Was it fun to read? 2. Did I like the characters? A resounding yes to both.

I highly recommend this book to any fiction fan. Although it is classified as Sci-Fi, it is really more of a thriller in a setting other than Earth. The entire time I was reading I had a picture of what this would look like as a movie. Very well done.

4.0 out of 5 stars BENEATH by Jeremy Robinson, February 2, 2010
This review is from: BENEATH - A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Every now and again I'll stumble across an author that will completely shake up my world of reading. Jeremy Robinson is one of them. His writing is among the ranks of authors like Stuart Woods and Douglas Preston. He's a master at writing, with each page playing out like a movie in your head.

Pulse (A Chess Team Adventure) was an incredibly fun and entertaining read, so when I was given an advanced opportunity to read BENEATH I jumped at it. Three words can describe what I thought of BENEATH: Scary as hell! What a crazy story. A metorite crashes on earth, lending credence that perhaps we're not alone in this universe. After an incredible elevator ride into space (based on fact mind you) a research team is off to discover life on another planet, life that exists beneath a hellish-surface that has remained untouched by man since creation. What follows is a mass of insanity that'll have you talking and thinking long after you've turned the last page.

BENEATH is a science fiction thriller with a twist of fear that will leave you holding your breath and a MUST HAVE for any fiction-lover's library.

- Dan.[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it...Movie Material!, October 29, 2010
This review is from: BENEATH - A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I have read most of Jeremy's books and look forward to more like "Beneath". I was glued to it the entire time. Who other than Robinson can make a cucumber creepy...even deadly. I loved it. And for under $3! Why is anyone complaining? Great characters. Great vision. Great work.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Robinson's best, February 16, 2010
This review is from: BENEATH - A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I have read most of Jeremy Robinson's books and liked them all so far. He mixes action with science and the subjects of his stories are always intruiging. Beneath is about alien life from Europa, Jupiter's frozen moon. The moon has oceans under the ice that we have yet to explore. It's the best possibility for life in our solar system since we know there's none on Mars. The pace is fast from the first chapter on. And there's plenty of action throughout. When I heard about this one only being released as an ebook it was frustrating. (Kindles are a bit pricy) Then I found out the ebook can be bought and read on the computer. I usually read a book a week, this one took two sittings. If you are a fan of James Rollins or Preston/Child, I highly reccomend Beneath. Also check out Pulse, the first in Robinson's Chess team series. Instinct, the sequel comes out in April.

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea, but stupidty should die, December 29, 2010
This review is from: BENEATH - A Novel (Kindle Edition)
There were a number of typos/word swaps in it that I could ignore (There/they're/their for instance). And the idea and concept were interesting. But after a while the characters just kept making stupid decision over and over and over again. I'm about 54% thru the book and don't know if I'll finish it. For folks who are supposed to be the best of the best, very clinical, etc, they're a bunch of IDIOTS!!! After a while you kind of just want all of them to die because they're too stupid to live. Ugh.

1.0 out of 5 stars not for those expecting a 'barnes and noble' book, September 13, 2010
T. Vann (Florida Keys) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BENEATH - A Novel (Kindle Edition)
There's a certain minimum I expect from a book before I can deem it readable. Proper spelling and punctuation are part of that. A lack of weird sentence construction helps. This book falls below that right from the get-go; I couldn't get past the first 20 pages.

The plot may have been riveting, the twists mind-blowing, but I'll never know, because the basic mechanics were amateurish enough that I couldn't get past it.

Frankly, if the book had been free or 99 cents, I would've passed on reviewing it. But at $2.84--half of what a real book might cost--I expect at least a half-assed attempt at editing. It's a shame that Robinson put this out against his agent's or editor's judgment, because he's definitely lost a potential reader in me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as Good as Chess Team Novels, January 19, 2011
This review is from: BENEATH - A Novel (Paperback)
**Spoiler Alert** Plot elements may be referenced. Although entertaining, the book was definitely not up to the standards of the Chess Team novels which I thoroughly enjoyed. Previous reviewers have cited the many spelling and grammatical errors. And regarding the plausibility of the plot lines, you don't read a book like this to be too critical of the science; but for goodness sakes, even a grade school kid knows the Scientific Method better than the books' alleged "professional" scientists - you just don't do some things. But the most disagreeable aspect of the book is the blatantly cliched depiction of characters. There really is no single standout protagonist with which to identify - they are all messed up in some way or other. The first character one might think is the hero turns out to be disagreeably lecherous. The obvious female of interest is so psychologically messed up I almost had to stop reading to prevent me catching her anxiety attacks. And she exemplifies the old cliche about Females Who Don't Follow Instruction - she did more to endanger the mission, her colleagues, and extend the end of the book than all the evil elements of the planet simply by not doing what she is told. All in all, I rushed to get to the end of the book, not because I wanted to see what new plot twist would happen, but because I have other books waiting to read that I know I will like better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept, Poor Characters, July 24, 2010
Media1947 "Book Reader" (Mentor, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BENEATH - A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I really liked the concept of this book: possible life on Europa. The science was pretty good as well. Where it went south for me was the character development. The characters were all "professionals" and at the "top" of their respective disciplines and all part of the flight/science crew going to Europa. All is well so far until each basically turned into a juvenile with all types of personal, behavioral and decision making issues that would have been easily screened in the real world. It was like watching children trying to play the role of adults.

I was hoping for more but it just wasn't there. I need more "adultness" in a book, sorry. I gave it a 2 instead of a 1 since the concept was excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story, February 16, 2014
This review is from: BENEATH - A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this, it was interesting and fast-paced. The ending was surprising but excellent. I would definitely recommend it to anyone that likes good writing, stories that are fun, thrilling and surprising and will interesting characters.

BENEATH - A Novel