5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable reading, great range of experiences
Each in her own way, the writers in this collection make complex connections -- with their sons and with readers. There's a great range of experiences here for the reader who wants to concentrate on the mother-son relationship rather than on family relationships in general.
Published on January 22, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Great writing but limited perspective
Published on July 14, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Great writing but limited perspective, July 14, 1999
By A Customer
Stevens has gathered a well-written and insightful collection of essays by very talented women. The challenges of raising sons are presented in sometimes poignant, frequently amusing, and generally thought-provoking ways. But I kept wishing for some other perspectives. All of the women whose writings are collected here seem to be on a single page. They're all feminists; few get any child-rearing help or wisdom from the boys' fathers; most seem to have no spiritual foundation (LaMott is an obvious exception). I would have liked to read a more balanced collection of authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable reading, great range of experiences, January 22, 2000
By A Customer
I sometimes cried and more often laughed -- but I also thought about my female friends and their sons, and agreed with what I was reading -- then remembered my mother and sisters and their sons, and argued back -- considered my male friends, and understood more than I had before.
The authors had some great stories to tell, and the quality of the writing fully repaid a second (and for some essays, a third) reading. The author's own very moving contribution was my favorite, but months after reading the book, there are many moments I remember.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, December 3, 1999
By A Customer
I bought Between Mothers and Sons for myself as a Mother's Day gift when my son was 3 months old. I was moved viscerally by the essays contained in this book. Although I do agree with the reviewer from Wisconsin that the collective voice of these essays is limited, I feel that the emotional tumult felt and expressed by these very talented women is universal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful anthology, February 27, 2008
This review is from: BETWEEN MOTHERS AND SONS: Women Writers Talk About Having Sons and Raising Men (Paperback)
I found this anthology wonderfully refreshing, and very validating. It gives affirmation to the intense emotional endeavor of raising a young man, and allows a communal feeling with other mothers on the same journey. The stories are poignantly shared, and are passionately detailed. I recommend this book to any Mother raising a son!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired *me* to start writing again, December 22, 2007
Perhaps this collection resonated more deeply with me than other reviewers because I consider myself a feminist *and* a mother of two spirited sons. My eldest son is only five years old and his nemesis/favorite person in the known universe a mere three and a half, but this rich book struck a chord deep within me that has not been played enough as a busy mother. I couldn't get enough of these esays. I am still hungry for more, so I pick up my pen and write a little bit everyday now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something here for everyone, March 6, 2005
As with many short story / essay collections, it is hard to review the book overall as the individual contributions are uneven.

In this case, almost all are moving and at least some will touch a heartstring (or raw nerve!) in every mother.

Many play the feminist angle, which I felt may be somewhat misplaced in a mother-son relationship.

A couple I'd already read in other collections (e.g. `Toddler'), including one of my personal favourites, Jonathan Bing by Priscilla Leigh MacKinley, about a mother who lost her sight during childbirth and has to adapt to becoming blind and the responsibility of responsibility of caring for a new baby at the same time ... the thought alone makes me shudder, but she writes about it beautifully and it was a joy to read again.

All-in-all, I enjoyed this book and would recommend it.

BETWEEN MOTHERS AND SONS: Women Writers Talk About Having Sons and Raising Men