5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Clear Dialogue. VERY IMPRESSIVE!
Published on February 17, 2011 by Phelan Dancer

2.0 out of 5 stars I've Learned My Lesson Well
Guys please understand that I'm into high-end home theater - so take this review from that perspective.
I like the directivity of horns for surround sound home theater and BIC peaked my interest by offering large 8" woofers and neodymium horns. Even dual bi-amping terminals! So i took a chance and ordered one knowing that sometime reviews can be misleading...
Published 17 months ago by NotaSecondTime

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Clear Dialogue. VERY IMPRESSIVE!, February 17, 2011
This review is from: BIC Acoustech PL-28II Center Speaker - Black (Electronics)
2/21/11 Edit of my original 2/17 review. My edit from 2/19 (testing against Klipsch RC-62) is on the bottom: I've added pics I took today of my FH6-LCR, Martin Logan Encore TF, and BIC PL-28 all stacked on top of each other in the pics section. This is for size and looks comparison. I have already given away the Polk CS1 and the Klipsch Synergy C1 so I was not able to add them to the pics. I kept the 3 best sounding centers. I only need two of the three so my brother is going to be getting one nice center soon.

I had to give my friend his Klipsch RC-62 II back after a couple hours of use a couple days ago. It just occurred to me that I should have taken pics. The Klipsch is almost 3 times as deep as the BIC PL-28 but that provides plenty of room for the sound to resonate. By the way, he was very disappointed that his center cost him $500 +, 3 times as much as mine (BIC cost $177). He has his Klipsch listed for sale on Craigslist now and said he is buying a BIC PL-28 once the Klipsch is sold.

Nothing against Klipsch, if the RC-62 was the same price as the PL-28, I may have actually bought the Klipsch. I don't think one sounded better than the other but forgive me for being ridiculous, Klipsch is Klipsch (as long as it's not Klipsch Synergy). I may have bought the PL-28, due to the depth it is much easier to place than the Klipsch. I should have tested these with music. I hear Klipsch sounds better playing music.

I'm surprised BIC even compares to Klipsch. I wonder who is designing at BIC that they are able to produce this level of performance. Don't forget, sound is subjective. What sounds good to my friend and I may not sound good to you.

Oh, and make sure you have a way to tune this, even if your receiver cannot. Find a way (external source) because this speaker sounded fantastic when it wasn't tuned, then kicked the s*!t out of my other speakers when tuned. I tuned the others for a fair comparison and it was BIC all the way. It's versatile and can sound however you want it to.

2/17/11 Original Review Below:

I've had this plugged in for 1 hour and all I can say is wow. This is the first time I have ever been impressed with a speaker on day 1. Usually I hate a speaker, think it sounds terrible, am disappointed, and then start to like it as it breaks in.

I literally unplugged a BIC FH6-LCR center, plugged this speaker in, unpaused the show I was watching and this speaker was around 50% louder at the same volume. "Loud" isn't necessarily a positive way to describe a speaker but I'm trying to explain how efficient this speaker is.

It is driven by a Yamaha V-365 ($129 Discontinued Model) 100 Watts/channel. This speaker is so efficient it could probably be driven to incredible levels with a 75 watt/channel receiver.

I'm only using this for movies.

Dialogue is loud and crystal clear, even at very low volumes. It sounds like the people are in your living room. I can periodically hear people breathe between sentences in movies due to the clarity. The horn tweeter has fantastic dynamic range. It's extremely powerful. I'm liking the horn tweeters much more than the dome tweeters now. This depends on your personal preference though.

It's bright, but not overly bright. The highs are not sharp or harsh at all. I can't get over the clarity. BIC really makes good products (at least from the two speakers I've experienced so far). Why does BIC hide in the shadows.

This is already BY FAR THE BEST center I've ever owned. I'm comparing to the below speakers. I'm not listing in any particular order of preference.
1. Polk CS1
2. Martin Logan Encore TF - Was my previous favorite but this one slowly came to tie my FH6-LCR.
3. BIC FH6-LCR
4. Klipsch Synergy C1
I was going to buy the Klipsch RC-62 out of curiosity but my curiosity is gone after listening to this center. I'm not sure how another speaker could sound better. I've auditioned many centers at the store and the BIC sounds better than all. It's overpowering so I'm going to need to adjust the center separately.

This speaker isn't even broken in yet. This will be an amazing edition to my theater room once I put it together. It sounds lovely in the living room now.

It's HUGE, but surprisingly not very deep. The height and width exceeds that of all the speakers I mentioned above. It's not deep at all and has brackets on the back to wall mount.

I will comment on the bass once the woofers break in.

I've always liked name brand speakers so I know I'm getting quality. I thought BIC was an off brand so I always ignored them. I gave the BIC FH6-LCR center a chance (it was cheap enough). It sounded so good I had to see what their high end line sounded like. I was not disappointed at all.

BIC should hire me to do Sales and Marketing because I'm surprised at how unknown BIC is in my circles. This is a very high quality impressive speaker. It looks and sounds like it would cost $500 - $700 and have the generic $1,000 MSRP. The MSRP's are always ridiculously high. Having heard this speaker, I would happily pay $350 for it. I probably wouldn't go higher than that but it's because I'm cheap and I would get one with 6.5" woofers instead if this was $400.

Next will be the BIC PL-89 dual 8" towers. They will replace my Polk Monitor 60's which I love. My Martin Logan Encore TF's will continue to do rear surround. I'll have to sell the extra one I previously used as a center.

I will update this review as this speaker breaks in.

2/19/11 Update:
I just finished auditioning the Klipsch RC-62 II center for a couple hours. I don't think the BIC is better. I also do not think the Klipsch is better. The highs and dialogue sound different on both. At some points the Klipsch sounded a little harsh. You can always fix that by adjusting your receiver.

I would say the dialogue and highs are equal between the BIC and Klipsch. The BIC has a more impressive and warmer mid range and better low end than the Klipsch. I think anyone that listened to both would agree. Of course the BIC has bigger woofers so in theory, low end and mid range should be better. The Klipsch is a much bigger speaker in size and it's ported (BIC is passive) so I was genuinely curious to see if it produced equal or more bass. It does not. Not to take anything from the Klipsch. It sounds amazing and there is a reason Klipsch is so well known and liked.

From listening to both, I think the Klipsch would reproduce music and bass in music (response) better than the BIC. Just a theory as I did not test this.

The BIC is a little more broken in now. The bass is more pronounced. The horn tweeter continues to make me smile and sounds even clearer now. This center sounds more powerful and clear to me than the center channels in the movie theaters. Of course a living room is a much smaller environment. With the volume turned up, dialogue is VERY LOUD CLEAR and overpowering. I do have the center turned all the way up on the receiver. I think you could put this in a movie theater, turn up the volume and hear dialogue clean and clear in the very back row. 8 inch woofers are definitely not big enough to fill a real full size movie theater but would fill a very large home theater quite nicely.

I have not plugged in my Onxyo NR-1007 receiver yet so I have not done any tuning yet. I'm tempted to plug in the Onkyo even though I haven't built my theater yet. Just to see what else this BIC speaker is capable of. I'm extremely impressed by BIC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a center channel worth keeping!!, March 12, 2011
This review is from: BIC Acoustech PL-28II Center Speaker - Black (Electronics)
After trying out numerous center channels over the past few months I have finally found the sound I was looking for with the PL-28. DanCZ's review is spot on as I can only add my experience to the list. Fist of all please take in referance of the footprint (size) that the PL-28 has. Its 10"H x 25 1/2" W x 6" & weighs in at 25lbs. The Pl-28 is well constructed and very attractive looking with the black laquer on the top & bottom, the sound is excellent right out of the box but with a few weeks (break in time) its down right amazing as the mids open up even more I.M.O.. The bass isnt to bad, it plays well with movies as well as music but keep in mind you will still need a good sub woofer to complement any good set up. The PL-28 is not bi-ampable or bi-wiring if you intend to do so but most dont do that anyhow, I just wanted to note that. There are no ports so wall mounting is well excepted if needed as it had two wall mount supports on back... not to mention the unit is only 6" deep so it will fit great under a flat panel tv if desired.

Center channels that I had previous tried are : Polk CS20, Bic DV62-CLRs, Klipsh C2, Klipsch Icon and Definitive Tech 2002 (used). The Polk & Bic DV series were ok but sounded a bit muddy or muffled to me at times as some dialog was hard to hear. The Def Tech was a bit cleaner but still seemed to lack something, I'm not sure what it was but it didnt seem the right fit. Thhe Klipsch's that I have tried sounded a bit harsh or "tinny" as I did not like that. I have not herd the Referance line of Klipsch so I cant compare the PL-28 to that, but after reading DanCZ's review it looks like he has a better perspective on that.

I dodnt claim to be an expert in the audio feild nor to I intend to be but I feel that I fall into the vast majority of the croud to what good sounding audio is. Most "experts" would disagree with the set up that I have as far as the main go. The mains ( L&R ) are not horn loaded, I have the AER Pices MK3 bookshelfs as they are 1" dome tweeters with 6 1/2" drivers but to me they blend in well with the PL-28. The PL-28 ( and set up for that matter) is powered by an Onkyo TRX-808 ( excellent receiver by the way) as it has more than enough power to deliever to the center channel, the PL-28 is quite versital as power go's so in fact you dont need alot of power (watts) to push the center to sound great. I have found that playing around with differnet brands of receivers at BestBuy that there is a differance in sound thou. To put it in perspective, when I used the same speaker ( I believe it was the Polk c10 but cant remember at this time) I had tried different brands of av's. The Pioneer and Yamaha seems to be brighter (harsh) than the Onkyo & Denon as they seem to have a bit more warmth to the sound, or at least enough to tell the differance that is... so you may want to take that into concideration as well.

Just as a reminder, not everyone has the same taste in audio so please take my review with a grain of salt per say... with that being said, I believe the Bic Pl-28 is the best center channel for the buck, I could not be any happier.

My set up;
Living room: carpeted 15x25 with an open area to the kitchen behind
TV ( if it matters): LG PS60 plasma
DVD/Bluray; LG BD390
Receiver: Onkyo TRX 808 (Excellent by the way)
Center channel; Bic Pl-28 (Excellent)
Mains: Aer Piceses MK3 bookshelfs ( very good )
Surround(s): Bic DV-52B (not to shabby, esp for the price)
Rear surrounds: Orb audio full range ( a very good surround speaker )
Sub: 2 Bic Acoustic PL-200 (very good!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great center channel speaker, May 18, 2011
John (WILMINGTON, NC, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BIC Acoustech PL-28II Center Speaker - Black (Electronics)
Let me start by saying I'm very selective of center channel speakers. To me, they are the most important speaker of the system as they do most of the work. When I decided some time ago that I wanted to upgrade my Polk center, I set off trialing several centers, including some that were thousands of dollars. With my system, I'm able to keep my existing center in place, and switch to a new center and do a direct comparison. I've never been satisfied until I found the PL-28. I could not believe the difference it made between it and my existing setup. After replaying several movie scenes that are excellent to test centers, I was shocked at sounds I was hearing that I could never hear before. This one is definitely a keeper, and what a great price at $169.

Keep in mind that this is taller, and maybe a little wider than most center channel speakers. I had to make custom adjustments to my shelf unit to get it to fit....but it's so worth it. Glad I read the positive reviews here and at AVSForum before purchasing.....they were all right...this is an amazing speaker!

5.0 out of 5 stars So AMAZING! (Repeat 3x), January 25, 2012
This review is from: BIC Acoustech PL-28II Center Speaker - Black (Electronics)
I am running FH6-LCR's as L and Right, and Bic venturi as wide's (the bookshelf ones), and the smaller 3" driver Venturi as rears......back to this center...

When I first unplugged the FH6 center and plugged this in I wasnt inpressed, it wasnt better, then I re-ran Auddsey calibration on my Onkyno 809 and BAM!!

It is "throaty" and full of volume and thickness. The mid-bass is great and it is so efficient my receiver had to set it at -9.5db (versus +1) on the FH6. I adjusted it to -3.0 and its just what I want to hear.

When someone said "sounds like the people are in the room with you" that is true, you can hear people breathing, clicking, everything. It sounds like this speaker has its own amplifier but do not confuse that with loudness or sound pressure.

What it really sounds like is when you take a good microphone and plug it into a PA amp and talk, that's what it sounds like right in your face.

Will update once I watch planet of the Apes this weekend and Lord of the rings 2. Only watched 1h of Underworld last night. Very impressive. Very. Makes you "want" to even listen to the dialog "down time" scenes of movies when there are not explosions or gun fire. The big difference between this and other Bic but non-Acoustech speakers is this sounds great with music also.

I have installed 6 of the BIC 8" inwall speakers (Acoustech, L,R, surrround and 2 in his bar for 2 chan audio) in my uncle's basement and love the bass and sound. Terminator salvation blew the grill off the front, which prompt me to finally pull the trigger on this center.

My theater area is about 40' wide by 20' from projection screen to sofa. Also this would sound great mounted on the wall behind a screen about 3' off the ground. My screen is 106" but not the kind that lets audio pass thru'

***Note Its impossible to screw these terminals with your fingers so I used 2 banana plugs to connect the speaker wire**

Because this speaker has the highest sensitivity in my set up at about 96-98db its best if you are going to manually do any adjusting to do it just under refrence level (ref. level is when the volume reads "0" on absolute recievers or 82 on onkyno recievers when its set to count from 1-100). For instance it is nice and full at 63 but at 72 it overpowers my entire system, wont even think about 82 (ref level) with this beast. I dont want to but I know I'm going to end up getting a pair of PL-89's to go with this and probably moving my bed into the basement and living in my theater room. haha.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!, April 9, 2014
This review is from: BIC Acoustech PL-28II Center Speaker - Black (Electronics)
THIS REPLACED A CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER THAT I BOUGHT WHEN I INITIALLY PUT TOGETHER MY HOME THEATER SYSTEM. THE ORIGINAL CENTER CHANNEL ONLY HAD 5 1/4" WOOFERS(2) AND A 1" TWEETER, AND THE DIALOGUE WAS MINIMAL ON MOVIES AND MUSIC, AND I JUST COULD'NT HEAR IT THAT WELL. ENTER THE PL-28, AND I NOW HAVE CRYSTAL CLEAR DIALOGUE ON MOVIES AND MUSIC, PLUS BASS THAT IS TRULY BEYOND BELIEF. I AM GLAD I PURCHASED THIS CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER, AND THE FIT AND FINISH, BLENDS WELL WITH MY KLIPSCH MAINS AND SURROUNDS BOTH VISUALLY AND AUDIBLY. GET ONE FOR YOURSELF AND YOU'LL SEE WHAT I MEAN!!! ONE LAST NOTE: MAKE SURE TO MEASURE FOR PLACEMENT BEFORE YOU BUY, BECAUSE THIS THING IS HUGE, AND YOU MAY HAVE TO DO SOME REARRANGING PRIOR IT'S ARRIVAL AT YOUR HOME.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best center for the buck, January 23, 2014
This review is from: BIC Acoustech PL-28II Center Speaker - Black (Electronics)
This can handle (rated) 225 watt/channel RMS. That is a lot of power for a center speaker. I hooked a Hafler DH-500 (only one channel) to this and gave it a work out. This amp is rated @ 250 watts/channel continuous and probably clips around 280. The speaker seemed to be fine up to 200 watts peak without distorting or bottoming out the cone movement.

The voices seem clear and concise, the horn has a smooth sound that compliments without seeming harsh like some tweeters do. If you have the space for this I would say, go for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars this is the best center in its price, March 23, 2013
This review is from: BIC Acoustech PL-28II Center Speaker - Black (Electronics)
I've read a lot of the previous reviews and there's not much I can add. To the guy that gives this 2 stars, really? You preface your statement by saying that your into high end equipment, So. By any bar this is a very good center channel speaker For some, it might have to much bass for others its to large but regardless this is a very good speaker and when you compare anything even close to it in price you'll find this is an excellent buy. As some have already mentioned you need way less power for sound, when compared to the Klipsch, they do sound different but for the price this is clearly the best buy. These are good enough to be used as your loud speakers in almost any home theater. I think if they sold for three times the price you would see no end to those who would sing there praise but because the price is so low many are hesitant to buy believing what the one naysayer said "you get what you pay for" In this case you get way more than you pay for. I highly recommend these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Competes with top of the line Klipsch, December 21, 2012
This review is from: BIC Acoustech PL-28II Center Speaker - Black (Electronics)
I own the top of the line Klipsch reference speakers from 2 yrs ago (RF 83s and RC64). The RC64 is considered one of the best centers made although I have noticed that unless you crank it way up it feel it is a little rolled off at the top compared to the rf83s and most other Klipsch speakers although with a much richer sound. I just purchased the Acoustech PL28 which although selling for only 20% of the price of the Klipsch is somewhat comparable. When comparing the two I would say the Acoustech has a more open and crisper and less compressed and colored sound especially the top end although the Klipsch has a richer sound and a little clearer in the lower midrange. I've noticed that if I play both simultaneously I get the best sound, having the richness of the Klipsch with almost as much openess and top end clarity of the Acoustech alone. I don't think many will do what I did and combine the two but my main point is that these Acoustech's are in the same league (better in some qualities and worse in others)as my top of the line Klipsch at a fraction of the price. I haven't heard the newer version of the Klipsch, the RC 64-II so I don't know how that compares and I haven't seen any reviews of that speaker.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great choice for a center channel, July 10, 2014
This review is from: BIC Acoustech PL-28II Center Speaker - Black (Electronics)
It's a great center channel speaker. The spread is somewhat focused (my only reason for docking it a star) but better than most dedicated center channels currently on the market. This model does well with dialogue--especially with deeper voices. This unit pairs well with a good set of towers on both sides--creating a rich and full front stage. I feel that the horn does a wonderful job in accurately replicating a wide-range of complex tracks paired with the dual 8" woofers that effectively drive the lower- to mid-range frequencies. BIC did a wonderful job marrying these components together.

5.0 out of 5 stars its much bigger then i thought, July 3, 2014
This review is from: BIC Acoustech PL-28II Center Speaker - Black (Electronics)
I got this speaker in two days after I ordered, it was packaged just right, double boxed. The PL-28II center speaker, I'm using the FH-65B for front left and right because I don't have room for tower speakers and PL-66 for surround.
My set up is powered by my TX-NR 818 and I have plenty of power to drive everything.
I just ran audyssey x32 speaker configuration,Audyssey set the fronts FH-65B speakers at 40Hz my center PL-28II is set at 90Hz , surrounds PL-66 are at 120Hz and wides DV62si at 70Hz highs are Micca in wall speakers that are high above front left and right are almost to the ceiling. They are at 40Hz and the back speakers in the ceiling behind me set at 120Hz and of cource the subs are 120Hz .
Going to leave it like this for a week or so and then run audessy x32 again and see what it settles to after a so called break in.
The speaker sounds great.
I have my TX-NR 818 in listening Mode DTS Neo:X I go back and forth between that and Audyssey DSX. I've been reading about reference level they say to listen at 0db but it much too loud -15 seems to be more or should I say loud enough.

Update
TX-NR
I just moved the speakers around I moved the FH-65s to the wides the PL-66s to front mains and using the DV62si as surrounds and of course the PL-28II AS THE CENTER. The PL-66s match beautifully with the PL-28II and the from three speakers are very amazing, and the sound is incredibly great. My Speaker configuration came in after running audyssey front 100Hz center 90Hz surround 70Hz wide 40Hz high 40Hz surround back 120Hz. So there you have it I'm going to give this a try for a week and run audyssey once again and see what I come up with after a good break in.....

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›