4.0 out of 5 stars Truly a Great Bargain but....
As an audiophile who has had numerous very high end (Meridian, Cello, McIntosh, B&W, Proceed...) components in and out of my systems over the years, I can say wholeheartedly that the F-12 is an outstanding value for the $170-$200 retail price. I bought it for my 13x20x9 budget media room which is currently under construction but have been using it in my 2 channel system...
Published on October 11, 2010 by jchussey

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sub but......
This sub is an incredible value. It performs. It hits hard and will fill a medium room with bass. I have a "lower high end" system. I needed a second sub because my system is in a large room. I didnt want to spend $1k on a second sub, so I figured the bic America sub would suffice and I could tweak it out with the crossover and phase control. It performs very well for...
Published on August 3, 2012 by Mreed

‹ Previous | 1 2 384 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing budget subwoofer, September 1, 2009
This review is from: BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer (Electronics)
I have used this for tv watching, blurays with uncompressed audio, ps3 games, and Flac files.

It is paired with a denon avr590, 2 cerwin-vega re30s, 2 sony ssf-6000s, and a celestion f35c.

As it took longer to arrive, I was running only a 5.0 system for about a week. The difference while running this sub is absolutely amazing. I actually had trouble level matching so that dialogue could be heard clearly without the bass blowing it away, on the other hand... my music gobbled up the bass and I needed to push it to create that "in the club" feeling.

As good as this sub sounds, not too tight and no where near muddy, I cant wait to hear how its matured at about the 200 hour break in point. I simply cannot imagine what I would gain by spending many times more on other subs as this one does everything I need it to and more.

Thanks bic america, for an amazing budget sub.

5.0 out of 5 stars TO BIC OR NOT TO BIC F12 VS PSW 505, February 3, 2012
Ok, here the skinny on both PSW 505 and Bic F12, first and formost the nicest thing about Amazon is that I bought both of the mentioned models. The 505 is no slouch but kept chuffing, it's good but not great, the Bic no chuffing of the speaker, tighter bass and equally good bass response if not better than PSW 505 without the annoying chuffing. Save your money, and read all the reviews, this is an entry level AUDIOPHILE budget subwoofer. My velodyne FSR 12 went out and I was not wanting to spend 1000 again, honestly this is about as good as my old Velodyne, save your money, branding does not always mean it's a better quality and it certainly is not in this case with Polk vs BIC. Best of all buy both and compare and you be the judge, I'm certain you'll agree that the BIC in the end is the better of the two!!

5.0 out of 5 stars loving it, August 3, 2010
im loving this sub. i got it a few weeks ago and its just keeps getting better to my ears. it replaced the sub that came with my sony home theater in a box which served its purpose but i wanted something with a little more power. i shopped around and read reviews on several subs, and the BIC F12 kept catching my attention with its great price and its great reviews so i figured what the heck and ordered it. it came pretty fast with my prime memberships free 2 day shipping. although i was trapped in my house thanks to the delivery guy putting the box directly against my front door making it impossible to open, so i went out the other door and lugged the box into the house. it was packaged very nicely in the box with foam blocks on all the corners. once i hooked it up i threw on some of the bassiest music i had (dubstep) and cranked it up. my walls were shaking and i couldn't have been happier. i soon grew tired of all the bass so i turned the volume knob on the back down to around 4 or 5 which seems to be a very balanced setting for it and the rest of my speakers. i soon realized the sub dwarfed the rest of my stock speakers and replaced them with the BIC FH6-LCR speakers which are fantastic as well. i am now a BIC speaker fan and am very happy with my purchase. and for the price i feel like i made the best choice i could. i know there are better subs out there but probably not at the price i paid, i think $180 when i got it, but with the money i saved with the sub i was able to replace my left right and center speakers.

i would highly recommend this to my friends but i wont because i like having the best home sub outta all my friends and i don't want them to have it to.

one thing i did not notice when i bought this tho is that it also comes with a detachable front grill which i really like so i can watch my sub cone move when i listen to my music loud if i want.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sub, here's how you set it up, February 3, 2012
I'll do the pros and cons thing and then explain how to properly set up this sub for those who don't know.

Ok, PROS: Capable of deep loud bass. You feel like you're in a movie theater.

CONS: During a bass test, I kept hearing something rattling sort of. Slapping almost. I realized when this sub is pushed, the grill actually makes noises. I guess I figured out why it's been marked down so much. The solution is obviously to take the grill off BUT, this was an intense bass test and it will be very rare for the sub to ever be pushed that hard in regular use.

SETUP: Don't worry about the cross over knob on the sub. Set this thing all the way up past 120hz. Volume at about 35% for me was the sweet spot, but that won't be the same for everyone. Also, there's a switch on the back asking if the feed is from a dolby digital receiver or a pro logic one, set it on over to the dolby digital.

Set the back of the sub to 120hz if you're on a dolby digital system using the sub pre out. The crossover of your speakers determines what bass the sub sees during regular audio playback, and the LPF of the LFE should be set to 120hz since the .1 in a dolby system gets information at 120hz and below sent to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Budget Subwoofer, January 29, 2011
I'm building my first budget surround sound system that is not a Home Theater-in-a-Box. I purchased a Denon AVR-1609 7.1-Channel Multi-Zone Home Theater Receiver and a Polk CS1 about a year ago. Added a pair of Polk Monitor-50 speakers for the LEFT & RIGHT channels. I was very happy with how things were coming together. A good subwoofer was the next most important addition. I almost bought the Polk PSW10 after reading the Amazon.com reviews. The ~$100 price tag was tempting. I decided to check out the AVS Forum website to see what audio-philes were saying about the PSW10. Their reviews convinced me that the price was low for a reason. It was hard to get them to recommend a subwoofer under $300.00 but the BIC America F12 and a Dayton subwoofer kept comming up. Many people stating that they could only recommend the BIC America F12 in my price range. I ordered it and have been VERY satisfied. I have it in my basement where the carpeted viewing area is 24 x 24 with walls on three sides (front, right, rear). To the left of the viewing area is another tiled all-purpose space that is almost the same size. I have the volume turned to 4 on the sub and have crossover turned to the max so that the receiver will do the work seting the crossover and sending a higher signal after running the Audassy. Music sounds rich and life-like. Action movies and television shows are more thrilling. You can actually feel them. The moon-launch scene in "Dispicable Me" rattled the ceiling tiles & pictures on the wall. The finish on the subwoofer is not glossy so it looks good with my Polk Monitor-50s & CS1.

I would definately make this purchase again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound Incredible Value, November 18, 2009
This subwoofer sounds fantastic! I use it at about half volume in a 20 x 30 room and it provides plenty of bass. I would not say that its the cleanest tightest bass I have ever heard. But it is not to boomy either. For the money its the best subwoofer Ive heard.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars and comparison to PSW505...., October 26, 2011
Purchased this sub at the same time I purchased a PSW505. Will update with more info but basically ran them the same hours before testing (about 15 on music and movies), watch same 20-30min of exact movie scenes (Inception, Star wars, Matrix reloaded, Dark Knight, did testing "slow, C weight, blabla with meter from my friends father who is "Carver, Paradigm" Audiophile type.

Design: The PSW505 is built a little better and the grill doesnt vibrate when bass is loud like the F12. The F12 is a little higher but the PSW505 seems about 15lbs heavier.

Bottom line, the PSW505 produced a way higher SPL with the same settings than the F12, much higher.
My basement theater room is 25 wide by 40' deep. Placed both subs in same location, 1 foot from intersection of north and west walls. Sony 820 receiver connected subwoofer out, receiver on -3db SW setting volume 32, 40 and 42.

The PSW505 is powerful enough to overpower my BIC LRC (Left right center)Formula speakers. The F12 couldn't do that without going to 3/4 volume and shaking the grill and sounding like it was working 2 hard. The PSW505 at about 5/8 volume shakes my entire north wall, the window, the ceiling and the south wall about 35 feet away from the sub.

F12 did sound a bit better for punch deep bass songs like "murder gram" by LL Cool J, and "eat em up L". On movies F12 sounds nice, but PSW505 sounds like IMAX.

Its like comparing a 50 cal. to a cannon (PSW505). Both will do damage but the PSW505 does the most. Also with the PSW the bass is "thick enough" to where the M16 shots in Inception kinda scares me, with the F12 no.

F12 is good tho' but the Polk, you can play that thing and your walls will submit before the sub.

So anyway the F12 is going back to Amazon tomorrow.

FYI most people who review subs are upgrading from a HTIB (home theater in a box) so they will like the sound of anything, I have a 8" Klipch, sub12 Klipsch, 6.5" klipsch from my 300 HD surround system, some 8" off brand, 2 subs in my living room, 2 fosgate punch classics in my car, etc, etc, so I know what Im talking about when it comes to bass.

One more thing, you can run 2 subs from 2 dif manufactures at the same time, did it with the Polk and F12 and the Polk and one of my Klipsch subs. Just place them in a room perpendicular to each other and also one will have to have phase set to 0 and one to 180.

Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black)

BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer

edit: When I first connecting this sub, I got little bass and port noise, took about 5 days of playing it about 1-2h a day before it started to really "do work" but every day it got better and better with thicker bass at a lower volume.

All in all you can't beat the F12 for a sub that's cost less than $200 now. Its not as "powerful" as the PSW505 but you probably wouldn't notice that if you are in a room you can completely closs off or say 15x15 or smaller. Id take either of them and if I didnt have the PSW I would have kept the F12.

26 Oct 2011 edit:

Ok so here are the SPL readings I took:

with Sony 820 reciever vol at 32 the F12 produced 91.5db the PSW505 94db SPL....SPL w/o a sub on my system at vol. 32 is 65dba. Thats with the subs hooked up exactly the same way but polk just under 1/2 volume crossed over at 90 and F12 just over 1/2 gain crossed over at 90. Location was each sub 2ft from Northwest corner of theater room (25x40)

with polk at 1/2 volume, and vol. 40 on sony receiver Polk hit 101.5 SPL, little over 1/2 (like one dash) hit 105 SPL. F12 same Vol hit 95 SPL both crossed over at 90 htz.

just as a comp, my HD300 6.5 sub at 40 hits 82db SPL.

at vol. 20. the polk hit 92db SPL, the F12 86 db

at vol 30. the polk hit 103 db and F12 98 db (sitting slightly to the left of test done at vol 32 above).

Songs to test: "respect" by Notorious BIG (should here a low to high rumble on each bass hit)

"Murdergram" LL cool J

"Eat-em Up L" LL cool J

"phone numbers" Whiz Khalifa - this song has some fast low bass hits that the F12 got each one clearer than the Polk.

"get em girls" Cam'ron

"booming system" LL cool J - particularly the part where he spell "C O O L I N"

a bunch of random top 40 songs and a few limp biskit songs and the movies above.

So anyway I got this to feel the bass in my chest while watching movies and provide some low end for music. If your only listening to music get the F12, if you want to feel gun shots in movies get the PSW505. I couldnt even imagine using 2 PSW505's!

5.0 out of 5 stars BIC F12, July 24, 2009
I had a THX certified Cambridge 6.1 system I hooked up through my HTPC before I built my new HT system. That system had a subwoofer that was stated to be 150 watts(8" woofer), this BIC F12 is a monumental leap ahead of it. I previously have owned HTIB set ups as well and I was looking for a notable improvement, which this sub has met and exceeded my expectations. I know there are better but at the $200.00 price mark,I feel it was a steal. I have this sub paired up with the Energy Take Classic 5.0 system ($199.00) and a Denon 790 receiver($440.00)shipped. Satisfied!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous Value, December 28, 2012
JRez (MASON, OH, US) - See all my reviews
Swapped out to a Sony STR-DH520 AV Receiver several months ago (its predecessor had an amp-driven 10" passive set up). So have been searching since to find a powered sub to get the "1" back up on the 5.1 array. Criteria are primarily value driven: capable, quality sound and bang for the buck outweighs dropping $1k+ in search of the exquisite nuances in (mythical) "flat 20hz response." Set a challenging budget of $200, read lots of reviews and settled on this one.

Set up was quick and easy / plug and play. Spent about 6-7 widely diverse musical tracks of experimenting, tweaking and dial in. Then sat back and drank it in. This unit is remarkably good. Frankly, for the money, it's spectacular. (Ya, ya, I hear you audiophiles, tut-tutting "NOTHING that costs $200 could be spectacular, you unrefined commoner...." )

For this 12' x 15' room a 10" version would have probably been plenty. The F12 doesn't have to work hard at all to put the punch in the bottom end of whatever you're listening to at typical levels. And, yes, it's more than capable of "gee, honey, I have no idea why all the garden tools are off their hooks in the garage....that's....weird?"

I find that movie-level settings and music-level settings differ somewhat (your results will vary based on personal taste, ambient room set up, gear, etc.) so I tend to roll off cross over and down volume for music and roll up both for movies. Doing so does require manual intervention by physically transporting my person from the couch to the sub unit 8.5' away and back (I know, 1st world problems, right?). However, to me, that's a feature and not a bug. Tinkering and tailoring the gear to the source material and desired outcome is all part of the experience (even if *gasp* you can't do it ALL with a remote).

Bottom Line: solid, capable unit and, overall, fantastic value. BOOM!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent power to price ratio, August 22, 2011
My kids destroyed the subwoofer I had built as a young lad (it was an old Kenwood receiver with one channel burnt out running a 12" realistic dvc sub in a home-made enclosure... looked like a guitar amp, had $5 in it and used it for 10 years...) Anyway, I really wanted to replace it but didn't have a whole lot of money to spend to do it, but I wanted to get something that would "keep up" with the rest of my system... I spent a couple of weeks chasing good deals on craigslist and got sick of that and decided to look into buying new... having JBL towers I thought it would be nice to have a matching JBL sub but looking at the prices vs the reviews I decided against it. I then thought I would just get a $100 10" polk but checked one out a retail store and wasn't impressed... and what I was really unimpressed with what they had for $200. At a retail store $200 doesn't get you much at all except maybe a flea-market quality 8" something or other... After looking for a while online I found a review website that listed the F12 as their top pick and I started to read reviews on amazon, A/V forums, etc and decided it was the way to go. I wasn't disappointed. So far I've enjoyed Tron, Sucker Punch, and several other action movies and the sound was excellent. I listen to rock, metal, top 20, funk, electronica, dance, etc and it's been more than enough... so much so that it's quite silly, really. Setup was simple, read the instruction manual!!! There is some very good information in there. We have a medium sized living room with 10' ceilings, and I use my system for 50/50 music and movies. while I'm not an audiophile, I think I've got a good handle on what sounds pretty good, and I think it sounds great. If you want to pick the sub to death with details and specific output, etc, read some of the other reviews, however even in those reviews you'll find that the general population is in agreement that if you've got a $200 budget and want a sub, you probably can't do better than this one.

system info:
Receiver: Sony STR-DG500 6.1
Towers: JBL Northridge N-3811
Front Center: Optimus Pro CS-5
Rear Center: JBL Flix1
Rear L&R JBL Flix1
Sub BIC F-12
(no, not the best of the best but it's more than adequate for an average Joe like me)

‹ Previous | 1 2 384 | Next ›