4.0 out of 5 stars 3 FAITHS TALK ON THE COMMON ASPECTS OF GENESIS, October 5, 2010
Harold Wolf "Doc" (Wells, IN United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: BILL MOYERS: GENESIS - A LIVING CONVERSATION (DVD)
A discussion of what is the beginning (Genesis) for Christians, Jews, & Muslims. Viewers are spared from antagonistic dispute between the faiths. A mix of writers, theologians, & artists look at the Biblical book of Genesis from their faith's perspective, acknowledge similarities, and share differences. Ten 56-minute episodes led by Bill Moyers who is to educational talk show what Leno & Letterman are to comedy-talk.

BE REMINDED: This is educational, religious philosophy, and a sophisticated discussion. It is, by reason of the invited participants, a higher level of vocabulary. It is a Wall Street Journal-level of interplay. Moyer pulls together a mix of belief, faith, gender, race & experience for "Genesis: A Living Conversation." The sophisticated discussion result, not debate, is due to participant's openness to hear other perspectives. Viewers will need to do likewise. No definite, final, perfect, answers evolve. Instead, the viewer is inspired and motivated to reinvestigate the topics for their own belief and living use. Refreshing dialogue without judgment. Freedom of speech at work.

Episodes are staged informally, guests dressed somewhat informal. At each episode's end, panel guests are identified with credentials--very impressive--creating the desire to replay each segment for greater absorption. Inviting enough for viewers of Muslim, Jewish, or Christian faith. Past criticism of the lack of radical & aggressive fundamentalist participation may be true, but the goal was obviously meant for educational discussion, not action/violence/aggression. It's also noteworthy, that being originated in 1996, opinions could have changed after 14 years, the fall of the twin towers, world economic crisis, and countries' political leader changes.

After viewing, you will have to ponder and establish what your own position or belief has become or what portions maintained. It will stretch your perceptions. And you will not agree with all views.

All episodes DO HAVE SUBTITLES. A booklet provides additional documentation.
1: In God's Image .......Adam & Eve .....Same panel as #9
7: The Test .....Abraham sacrifice of Isaac
8: Blessed Deception ........Rebekah & twins, Esau & Jacob
9: God Wrestling .......Dreaming Jacob becomes Israel
10: Exile .....Colorful Joseph .....Same panel as #7

There are other good educational Bill Moyers (PBS) DVD sets now available.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enlightening series, July 17, 2012
TwinPeaker (San Francisco CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BILL MOYERS: GENESIS - A LIVING CONVERSATION (DVD)
I have already watched the whole series on Netflix but will likely buy the DVD set.

I am not a Christian or belong to any Judeo-Christian religion and I am not a believer. To me, stories of the Genesis were always those typical stories that most religions have, that did not make a lot of logical sense and seem to have been written in times when society looked nothing like ours. In short, irrelevant, illogical and just plain stupid. I mean talking snakes and a world of 7 billion born off just two people five thousand years ago. Yeah, right!!

By shining a critical light on the stories of Genesis, they became relevant to me and I could even understand some of the historical context that might have given rise to some of the stories. As with all things religion, when it is crammed down people's throat with literal interpretations, it turn people off (whether they admit or not). But when these stories are discussed out of their literal or orthodox interpretations, they take on a new life.

In the end, like any other story, these are works of art and like any work of art, each individual interprets them through their own experiences, understanding and time/place in life. And, if you watch the series, so will you probably derive a different meaning that what I did. I do not think watching the series will turn you into a believer if you are an atheist or an atheist if you are believer. If anything, it will probably strengthen whatever you believe - not by disproving anything - but by increasing your understanding of these stories. If you are an atheist like me, I think you will come away appreciating these stories as works of art that hide a lot of nuance and aren't the bludgeoning tools that preachers use them as to impart their literal/orthodox views.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking conversations, December 12, 2011
This review is from: BILL MOYERS: GENESIS - A LIVING CONVERSATION (DVD)
This video brings to life the book of conversations. Our Bible study group has enjoyed the differing opinions as we are studying the book of Genesis, and the video has broadened our perspectives as well as provoked discussion among our group members.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bill Moyers: Genesis, September 28, 2013
This review is from: BILL MOYERS: GENESIS - A LIVING CONVERSATION (DVD)
Anything involving Bill Moyers is the best ! I have viewed it with friends and it rated 5 star with all.

5.0 out of 5 stars New views of the Old Testament, June 18, 2013
This review is from: BILL MOYERS: GENESIS - A LIVING CONVERSATION (DVD)
This discussion of the Old Testament (Genesis) from the point of view of four different religions was wonderful. Take it in small bites--watch no more than one show a week, because it takes thinking about. Some of the best hours I've spent watching tv and I recommend it highly. A surprise: some of it is screamingly funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genesis, February 10, 2014
Georgia M (SUN CITY, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BILL MOYERS: GENESIS - A LIVING CONVERSATION (DVD)
I enjoy intelligent conversation from different viewpoints. I've only seen the first disc so far but I had seen the whole thing when it was originally on PBS in the '70s or '80s. I like when something makes me think or reconsider an idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking discussion about the first chapter in the Old Testament, December 3, 2013
This review is from: BILL MOYERS: GENESIS - A LIVING CONVERSATION (DVD)
I listen to the conversation between the various writers and theologians, while doing something meditative with my hands, like knitting or doodling. I get a very warm feeling from having these conversations going on in my living room. The thoughts expressed by one and all provoke me into thinking about the topic in each chapter, as I have never done before.

4.0 out of 5 stars Challenging conversations, October 10, 2013
Hank (Levittown, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BILL MOYERS: GENESIS - A LIVING CONVERSATION (DVD)
The Book of Genesis in the Bible contains many stories that Jews and Christians learned in childhood education. But when we return to them as adults, we often find them strange or even repulsive. Bill Moyers convened a variety of scholars to discuss the stories from their varied perspectives. It has been challenging to the small group in my church that is listening, for many questions are raised that have caused us to rethink our normative "faith" perspectives. For instance, can God make a 'mistake'? Might God not know what a human being has done?

At times the discussion on the video is over our heads. The speakers seem at times to prefer to defend their positions rather than move toward a shared understanding. But it has been very beneficial for us to engage this kind of questioning.

BILL MOYERS: GENESIS - A LIVING CONVERSATION
BILL MOYERS: GENESIS - A LIVING CONVERSATION by Bill Moyers: Genesis-A Living Conversation (DVD - 2010)
$79.99 $69.99