Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on August 13, 2012
I just put the big green on her maiden voyage on our carpet that was incredibly dirty. We have two dogs and haven't had the carpet cleaned for over 8 months. I got tired of shelling out $250+ to cleaners just to see the same stains come back in a month or so. I know, I know, it was originally caused from the Ch*mdry technique using a circular floor cleaner that drives the stain deep into the carpet. But I digress. The carpet was filthy. I reserved the whole day to clean it up with the Big Green. Here is my experience:

1 - I like how easy it is to remove the fluid containers and set it up. My only minor gripe would be that clean water container does not lay flat so you have to hold it up and level with both hands...a bit awkward but very minor.

2 - Turned that puppy on and followed the directions on the manual and the youtube videos. I started out in an area right by some hanging curtains that I had pulled up a bit to allow for the cleaner to get to the edge. I didn't see any soap and water getting sucked up so I turned it off and disassembled and reassembled the fluid containers. It started to suck the water up so I was good to go. The water/soap that it sucked up looked like mud. I then got right next to the bed and the frame gently knocked against the fluid containers and the suction stopped again. I then checked out the troubleshooting section and it said that the red float in the dirty water container (top)could be knocked down by jarring the machine...aha, so that was the cause. Once you know it's an easy fix. Turn the machine off, then back on and you're good to go. Without that knowledge you'd think that it was very temperamental. Just be careful about running into anything.

3 - It's a bit loud so I wore the ear protectors that I use for blowing the patio. It was fine then.

4 - One bin full of water/detergent was enough for several rooms. It really does go pretty far.

5 - It does not clean to the very edge of the machine so It's hard to get close to the edge of the carpet. Maybe if you use the upholstery cleaner hose? which I didn't.

6 - By the time I got to the last room, my living room which was by far the dirtiest I started to notice that every time I finished the first up and back pass where you pressed the water flow it would drip from the back and leave several very dirty spots. This was frustrating because I had to then go back over that spot and it would drip behind that. Finally, upon inspection of the bottom I saw that the wheels had grooves in them that the fuzz from the carpet would get trapped in and act as a dirty water sponge and deposit a row of spots from all the dirt. So, be sure to keep the wheels clean and cleared of fuzz.

7 - The result was very impressive. It wasn't showroom clean but it was WAY better than it was, even after professional cleaning. The next day I went over the heavier soiled areas again and substantially improved the results. Like I said, our carpets were REALLY dirty.

8 - Oh, I should also mention that I initially used the Bissell Allergen formula of cleaner to avoid chemicals and fragrances. It worked very well. The next day on the do-over I used the industrial strength one that came with the machine and it kicked butt and took names with no weird lingering smell.

9 - Drying time was longer than most claims and it was a hot day in the Bay Area. It really took overnight for some areas. That was okay because it wasn't bad walking on it for it just felt a bit damp.

10 - All in all, it was a very satisfying cleaning experience. It truly was a cathartic experience. It took about 3 hours to do the whole house. Once you get used to the little idiosyncrasies it's pretty easy and quick. It wasn't too heavy - though it is a bit of a struggle to lift up steps or stairs.

11 - Sever the professional cleaner umbilical cord with this Big Green bad boy. ;-)
on August 12, 2015
Ok I don't write reviews. I've been using this machine to clean carpets at restaurants for about 2 years now. I could tell you how good they clean but I'll just post pictures. This machine is built like a tank, never had one fail , I own 4 by the way. I couldn't be happier and would like to thank bissell and Amazon for a great product.
review image review image review image review image review image
on December 17, 2013
Purchased this on a lightning deal after almost purchasing it a month earlier. I was wooed by all of the 5 star reviews. I've been using the Big Green machine for several weeks now and have cleaned all but two rooms in my two story home 2800 sqft home. I'm amazed how great of a job it does. I've used professional cleaning services in the past 1-2 times yearly and this easily does as good of a job if not better. I've uploaded a video. Also, check out the picture I uploaded as well.

Pros:
Large reservoirs for both the clean water/ cleaning solution and the dirty water
Leaves the carpet with that professional steam cleaned look
Carpet comes out relatively dry and only takes a ~3 hours to dry (this depends how much you go over the carpet with suction only)
Easy operation, filling and emptying water is easy
Visible results that actually...wait for it...make this fun to use
Good return on investment vs. professional cleaning services

Cons:
It's heavy but it's a carpet cleaner and to be expected. I'm 6'4 240 and it's no a big deal lugging it up stairs with water in it. However, not sure my wife would be able to carry it upstairs.
Short cord

Overall, I give this a 10/10. I've even made a spreadsheet to calculate my return on investment and this will have paid for itself after a couple more uses. Additionally, I was worried about how much cleaning solution this would require. I purchased the BISSELL 2X Professional Deep Cleaning Formula, 48 ounces, 78H63 for $20. I've used about 2/3rds of the solution on 5 rooms, one couch and chair, 2 ottomans, and a hall.

I highly recommend this clean machine if you can swing the upfront cost.
review image
on December 21, 2011
I bought this cleaner because I was sick and tired of buying rug cleaners that would work great for a year or two and then either be very hard to clean (so they lose suction) or start to leak.

I was hesitant to pay the extra cost to get it over convential Hoover or Bissel cleaners, but my wife said, "Spend the extra money, get quality."

I have used this cleaner three times and so far, very happy with purchase.

Came ready to use out of the box (heavy duty box by the way.) Required no putting togehter of parts.

The quality and heavy duty nature of the product is obvious right away. No cheap, thin plastic parts to crack or break on this thing.

I was a little skeptical that it could produce good suction because the way it goes together (tanks load into machine) seemed way to simple (no complicated angling parts and trying to get things to snap in place) and the path the water/cleaner travels through when being sucked up seemed to large and easy to access (which makes cleaning very, very easy).

Because my last Hoover started leaking several years ago, I had not cleaned our carpets for quite a while, so they looked really bad.

I mixed up the solution and went to work.

First observation: So easy to use. No complex buttons, switches to choose from. You turn it on and then either you spray solution by pulling the trigger or you don't.

Second observation: At first I thought, "Okay, here we go, can't be doing a good job of pulling up solution, since it only took a couple of passes till no more solution was being pulled up."

With my old cleaner, it took multiple passes.

Third observation: My wife, who was watching commented, "Wow, its pulling the carpet up off the floor!" (In a good way, not destructive way).

It did such a good job of pulling up the solution, I couldn't believe it. Far superior to my old cleaners or rental cleaners I'd used in the past. Our carpet dried faster than I'd ever seen.

And even though we use Dyson vacuums (also well worth the extra money) and they do a great job of vacumming, it still pulled up loads of pet hair and crud.

My wife and I could not believe the difference in the carpets. Stains we'd had for years came out. I couldn't believe it! I thought those stains were set in and we'd never get them out.

All in all very happy! Solid, sturdy construction. Easy to use. Works great. Carpets cleaned better than ever. Clean up easy. Stores in less space than others because of the fold over handle.

Don't waste money buying and replacing other cleaners. Spend the bucks and get a quality product for sure.

I hate it when my wife is right.
0Comment|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2012
My wife and I decided to purchase a carpet cleaner for our house and our rental house. It didn't take long to decide on the BIG GREEN DEEP CLEANING MACHINE based on as much information as the web would provide.

We have new upgraded carpet in our house from March 2011. Our carpet was just professionally steam cleaned two weeks ago, and my wife will be the first to say that she is a vaccuum freak. I opened the box and went to work. The set up was very easy and I was running in about 15 minutes.

The machine worked well and I didn't think we were getting much out of our clean carpets... at first. I cleaned a space about 8x10 Ft in a highly traveled area. Wow!! I can't believe I paid almost $200 to have a professional steam clean our carpets! The GREEN MACHINE pulled dirty water out of the carpet that was dark grey and black. I also noticed the machine sending hot air into the carpet which made it reasonably dry after a couple cleaning passes. Also, the carpet is now much softer to the touch and it smells great.

I then set to work on a couch cushion with the attachment hose. We keep the couch clean. Once again, I was impressed by the amount of dirt in the water - it too was black. The final test was a floor mat from the family truckster/minivan. The mat now looks like new.

Overall, I don't have too much experience with carpet cleaners, but I can tell you that I love this machine and I can't wait to do the entire house and our two vehicle fleet! As long as this performance continues, I would recommend this to anyone.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon November 26, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The thing I loved most: you pull it out of the box, read two short pages of the instruction manual (with great pics), and you're ready to run with it. I had it set up to do the living room rug in 5 minutes, and the rug done in another 5. I had forgotten I had a beige carpet, because after I did half of the rug I could clearly see one side was gray. Two years worth of dirt and stains came out of that rug. I couldn't believe how dirty the water was! It also pulled up all the hairs and fibers that other cleaning machines haven't. What was great too is that the rug was only damp when done, so my 2 year old was playing on it within 4 hours. I didn't even have to move it off the hardwood floor.

Better than that, though, was the job it did on my car upholstery. Truth to tell, it's never been shampooed and it's 5 years old now. The backseat after 2 years of baby abuse was disgusting (see pic!). But I was amazed at how the stuff just came right up. I literally did that side of the back seat of the car plus the babyseat in about 3 minutes. The attachment sprays a nice light spray and the bristles scrub it up nicely. Then you slightly angle it to suck up the water. It looks fabulous!

Also nice is how straightforward it is. The bottom container you fill up and add two capfuls of the Bissel cleaner, and if you're like me and had to carry it down two flights of stairs, it was easy to take the now lighter unit down and the water container separately. Then you put the water container on the base, put the next container on that, and the last, clear part on top. You move one lever, and it's locked closed. There are great carrying handles on it.

The attachment went on easily, you insert two parts and twist them and you're done. I didn't believe it was going to work but it sure did. There is a flow gauge on top and because both the top unit and the attachment have clear parts, you can always see that it's hard at work sucking up all that nasty dirty water.

It's loud but not louder than any other cleaning machine. I could hear my 2 year talking over it. It's definitely bulky, but that also means that it holds a lot and you're not going to be running back for refills partway through. I did both the rug and the entire interior of my car with one container full. I have used other cleaners, including $135 carpet cleaners as well as store rental "professional" cleaners. I don't know if it's because they aren't as good or if it's just the wear and tear, but the pro rental cleaners don't even come close to this unit. It's powerful and works so well that I don't have to scrub the heck out of my upholstery and rugs (ruining them) to get them clean.

Update Aug 2011: still loving my machine. Just did the couch and rugs again as we have a 3 year old and a baby now and they were in bad shape. Dropped the upholstery attachment onto concrete and broke it. Was not looking forward to paying gobs of money, went on the Bissell site, and my replacement part was only six dollars. Sweet!
review image review image review image
on July 22, 2014
The Good:

1. This thing is built solidly! No fears of this breaking down on me, having come from a Hoover Steamvac I'm so happy to see that this thing is built so well, no fear of parts randomly snapping off like they did on the Steamvac after only 1.5 years!

2. It comes in tact, no building. DO remove the little cardboard piece under the front of the unit.

3. The parts for the hand tool twist and lock into place - no weird clips, and you don't have to take the unit apart to use the hand tools - Hooray! Just twist and lock the two pieces into place and you're good to go. I was so surprised I didn't have to empty the tanks as I did with my Hoover.

4. Pulls black water from your carpets. I'm not even joking - the stuff we pulled out of the carpets subsequently clogged the drain in our large garage sink. This pulled up all the old soap and dog waste that had been in the carpet for who knows how long (last tenants had rot weilers who used this ONE corner of the living room it seems). You could literally smell the dog waste being pulled out of the carpet - I'm horrified. Not to mention the smell of soap coming from the carpet - we weren't using any in the machine because we wanted to pull out all of that crap and know what we were getting. Holy Cow!

5. Drying time is super fast. Compared to the hours I had to wait for my carpet and couch to get dry with my old Hoover Steamvac, this thing is a dream. By the time I was finished with the second room and couch, the first room was dry.

6. The tanks are easy to use, no weird holes to pour out of, no debris getting caught in weird crevices that are hard to clean.

7. Folds up nicely and can be probably stored in a linen closet at the bottom if you have adjustable shelves. I store it in the garage.

The "Bad":

1. The unit IS heavy and not very maneuverable, *I* don't consider this a bad thing because I feel like that means that the Green Machine is very well built. It FEELS well built, but some people will consider this a big negative.

2. Yes, you WILL get piles of gross hairy/dirt mounds in your wake. It mentions this in the booklet that comes with the machine. Be happy those dirt piles are on TOP of your carpet and not still in your carpet. Don't freak out, and DO NOT try to pick them up WHILE you're steam cleaning (they are wet and you will only be frustrated). Do all the rooms you're going to do and then go back over your carpet with your vacuum when everything is nice and dry. The Vacuum will pick them right up, it is NOT a big deal.

The Ugly:

1. Seeing the black, gross, dirty, nasty stuff that this thing sucks out of your carpet. Smelling the old soap and stains that you thought you got rid of ages ago as they finally get picked up by this Green Machine. Sorry, I lied to you, the ugly wasn't a negative after all.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Bissell Big Green is a heavy-duty rug shampooer/upholstery cleaner that does its job well. In this video, I show how it works, including tank capacity and noise, and I compare it to my smaller and less expensive Hoover Steam-Vac. UPDATE 12/16/10: Although I still recommend this for those who can afford it and do a lot of this kind of cleaning, I downgraded my rating to four stars because I encountered a couple of problems today, my third time using it. If you pause midway through a job (to answer the phone, say), it leaves drops of dirty water on the carpet, and that area needs to be shampooed again. I have no problems when I continue straight through the job. When I carry this to another location with the tanks full and in place, it drips. (Hoover SteamVac does this as well.) And it leaves a larger puddle than the Hoover does when finishing to a hard floor surface. My recommendation remains: the BigGreen offers better cleaning and heavy-duty construction, while the SteamVac does a good job at a lower price. See the video for details.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann
33 comments|123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2011
My wife and I have tried several different brands and models of carpet cleaners in the the past with varying degrees of results. Recently we had a bad pet stain and rented this item from Lowes. Unfortunately the dog remained ill and rather than pay the rental fee again, we decided to purchase this for ourselves. It has worked better than any other Hoover or Bissell machine we have tried. The way that it is designed, the carpet brush and vacuum have the water directly above them and the water, clean and dirty add downward pressure which seems to help. Of all the different cleaners we tried, this one far exceeds all of them in one area, the suction. This machine seems to have more suction than anything else we have tried. So much so that conservatively speaking our carpet drying time was cut in half. Is it more expensive than other models? Yes. Is it worth it? ABSOLUTELY. So I am unable to deduct any stars for the price.
on January 27, 2012
First off, I've been a Bissell customer for over six years having wall-to-wall carpeting and an aging dog. This is now my forth cleaner where the first lasted over 2 years, the second 18 months, the third 13 months and now this very expensive model lasted only six months when it started gushing water around the upper "water flow value" monitor that spins when you're spraying cleaning solution. Frankly, I'm very upset at the expense and called Bissell customer service to find there is only one authorized repair center in our city, so I had no choice but to take it to them for repair. Upon which I was informed it would be a month at least to get my machine fixed given their backlog. (Same thing happened when I took the model that failed after 13 months in for repair)

Frankly, I don't care that Bissell machines do the best cleaning in my experience, but I can't afford to keep throwing good money down the drain for their products that can't hold up under normal circumstances of quarterly to six month periodic use.

Update: I finally got my unit back after two months with a repaired flow control valve and say that this unit is working like a champ.
2626 comments|174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse