5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vaccum with cool upholstery
Published on September 24, 2009 by Venkateswaran Tarakad

2.0 out of 5 stars The honeymoon is over (or "my wife was right")
Let me start by saying that this vacuum starts off like a champ. It's efficient, cleans well, has a plethora of tools, and is the most amazing vacuum cleaner at an amazing price.

Unfortunately, the honeymoon is now over.

Published on July 3, 2010 by Craig Maloney

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vaccum with cool upholstery, September 24, 2009
This review is from: BISSELL Cleanview Helix Upright Vacuum Cleaner, Bagless, 82H1 (Kitchen)
My 3 year old dirtdevil Vacuum cleaner gave up and I headed to the research room on Amazon to consider a replacement. After extensive research I zeroed in on this and Hoover 5507-900. Hoover was more expensive and did not have the tools and upholstery available on this Vacuum. I still had my doubts on Bissell hence I headed to Target to check the Vacuum myself. I was impressed with what I saw and I ordered this on Amazon.

Out of the box this Vacuum was very easy to assemble and quite user friendly. The motor was very powerful and it cleaned the dirt from the carpet with ease. It also had adjustable knob for power variation and had one for bare-floor surfaces. The dirt container was very easy to replace and the extra dusting brush with extension wand made hard to reach places very easy to clean. Whats more this vacuum worked like charm on my Vacuum storage bags. It removed the air out of the bag in 30 seconds flat.

I would definitely recommend this Vacuum cleaner who doesn't want to waste money on Hoover or even worst Dyson and still wants to keep clean.

5.0 out of 5 stars It passed the Black Sofa Test, October 13, 2009
W. A. H. (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
The vacuum just came in. I took it out of the box, and it took all of two minutes to assemble. I ran it over the rugs of my two-bedroom apartment and it picked up everything in its path. I noticed the tank needed to be dumped more than my Hoover Wind Tunnel, but it's a good trade-off, because once the bottom of the Wind Tunnel's tank got full, it just gave up.
What I was really looking to give it--being a pet owner--was the extreme test on my black, cloth, sofa. Unlike other vacuum's that come with a nozzle surrounded by brushes that just seem to push the pet hair around, this comes with a turbo brush, which is like a mini version of the vacuum's main turbo brush. It cleaned off the sofa in minutes and left it spotless.
I know it's new, so as to how it wears, I can't tell you. But, I normally can tell within a few minutes whether I've spent well, or spent bad.
I would say this was money well spent.

2.0 out of 5 stars The honeymoon is over (or "my wife was right"), July 3, 2010

Unfortunately, the honeymoon is now over.

My wife and I decided to replace our bagged vacuum cleaner with a new vacuum cleaner. I was hell-bent on replacing it with something bagless, since that seemed like a more efficient way to clean the house. Plus, I hated changing bags. So, after careful research, I decided this was the vacuum for us. My wife protested, but I was determined.

She was right.

We've owned this vacuum cleaner since September, and in those short few months I have come to completely detest this machine. The problem is that it is fatally flawed in its design to be everything that you would expect this vacuum cleaner to be.

The first few times we used this machine, it was great; it picked up everything without a complaint and was a joy to use. It has a cup that can be easily removed and dispensed. This part of the vacuum works very well.

There is a second cup at the base of the vacuum that is the source of a lot of my complaints about this vacuum. The top cup catches most of the larger items, and some dust, but the bottom cup / filter assembly is really where all of the business-end of this vacuum is done. There are two filters that lead into this cup, which are washable. The problem is these filters catch just about everything that passes through the vacuum, so while the top cup is nice and easy to empty, the bottom cup is far more disgusting to empty. Rest assured that every speck of dust and hair in your house will be neatly compressed onto the filter, and carefully cataloged for later dispersal into just about everywhere when you go to empty this.

The filters are indeed washable, and you can easily take the filters out and rinse them in a convenient sink. Unfortunately, the filters are both a heavy foam and a heavy paper, neither of which is particularly easy to dry. So, when you go to wash the filters, you'll put your vacuum out of commission for at least several days while the filters eventually dry out (and nothing, repeat: nothing will speed this process up.) There are cautions about running the vacuum without these filters, and for good reason, because these filters do the lion's share of the air scrubbing that this vacuum does. Also, the filters need to dry thoroughly, or they'll get a remarkable smell, which will permeate your entire house if you don't let them dry thoroughly. Expect about a week for them to completely dry, or plan on buying another set of filters so you can keep one pair out while the other pair is in the vacuum, and swap when it domes time to clean them.

Again, this vacuum is great for the first few times you use it, but the filtration design is terrible. I'm seriously thinking of finding another vacuum to replace this vacuum.

Having to replace the vacuum is bad enough. Having to admit that my wife was right all along is worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOLY! are u kidding me? WOW!, February 13, 2010
I love to buy vacuums, even though I almost always end up disappointed. I have had a few of every brand...the last two Hoover windtunnels, <very poor pet hair performance and lose suction immediately> and my very last was a Dirt Devil Reaction, i LOVED it, affordable and kept its suction at 100% no matter what but the motor was dying after only 3 yrs...so I thought i would give this a try.

WOW WOW WOW!

Open the box and snap on the hose and put ONE screw in...thats it...you're done...within 60 seconds I knew it was a keeper by the volume of pet hair it picked up compared to my last....and it was soooo light and easy to maneuver!'

I hate the lame rotating brush hose tools. They never work and I usually throw them away...you know how as soon as they touch your couch cushion they quit moving?? So ready for a laugh I put this on one...stand back because it will rip your fingers off...thats some kickbutt power. It has like a gear/torque wheel so it has like 4 times the speed and it works as good as the full size vacuum at the bottom...I REALLY LOVE THIS VACUUM!

CONS? I wish the cord was longer...its not super short but I like longer...the dirt/waste bucket is kinda messy to dump...but I STILL would buy this again...what amazes me most? I got this at Kohls for $79 on sale and has a 30% coupon, so it was $55... I think I should go get another as a spare!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent value, November 21, 2009
I wanted a second cleaner so that I wouldn't have to lug a machine between floors. This fits the bill as an upright and performs well. The vacuum hose is so short that it's a joke. I tried to use the attachments once and its a waste of time. In addition, dirt was exhausted from the storage port for the hose. Unbelieveable! The handle is nothing but a cheap piece of molded plastic. The electical cord is attached to the middle of the machine, as is the on/off switch. This results in a lot of stooping to turn the cleaner on or off and you must hold the cord, else you will step on it.
The vacuum has 3 filters, two of which can be cleaned with soap and water. After a month the HEPA filter shows no accumulation and will not need replacement for a long time. The filtering system is efficient - there is no evidence that any dirt is returned to the room.
Since everything that is sucked up is visible frequent emptying and filter cleaned is encouraged. A good thing. Bottom line --- works well as an upright. A decent value for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Vacuum Ever, September 16, 2009
I have a carpet and a cat and this vacuum is amazing ive had more expensive but they do not compare to this vacuum. It is a little more bulky then most vacuums out now but i highly recommened this for anyone with pets

1.0 out of 5 stars Dirt is ejected from the base while using attachments!, May 29, 2010
The suction is rather impressive to begin with, but I can only go one or two rooms before having to empty the small dirt container, otherwise suction drops to almost nothing-- and the dirt container isn't even half full yet. The filters and dirt container become inundated after every time I vacuum, adding another 30 minutes to clean those out. I concur with the review that said the outside of the vacuum is completely filthy after every use. I've never had such a high-maintenance vacuum.

Still, I wouldn't have given this vacuum a single star rating just for that. Here's the kicker: dirt is launched from the base of the unit when using the attachment hose! To use the attachments, you have to remove the stretch hose from the unit, but the brushes on the main base continue to spin. Even when I adjust the base to the highest setting, this vacuum still grabs dirt and sends it up through the part of the base where the stretch hose is normally connected. Only without that stretch hose connected, huge amounts of dirt and dust go sailing through the air. Trying to use the attachment hose literally just undid several hours of meticulous cleaning in this room.

When I called customer support, I expected to hear that there was some crucial plug that I was missing which would stop debris from being launched from the vacuum. Nope. I was told I needed to clean the area the vacuum would be sitting on before using the attachments. I told him that this sounded like a serious design flaw, and he only replied that he had nothing to do with the design.

I thought I'd found a deal on a vacuum. Turns out, you really do get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Best Bang per Buck item., March 9, 2010
I got mine half a dozen hours ago. I messed around with it for a couple hours and tested it. Here are my 'startup' results.

PROS:

1. Great suction.
2. One screw assembly.
3. Tested it against a thiry year old Hoover (the original self propelled--but designed to have no attachments, that's why I got this Bissell) It beat the Hoover.
4. Packaged correctly.
5. No louder than my Hoover.
six. Filter system seems to work correct.
7. Didn't cost much ($74).
8. Handle can be lowered back for pushing, then lowered again to get under tables and chairs (wouldn't go under my bed--too thick by three inches).
9. When my test were finish, I found no dust on top of the unit. There was some dust on the left and right side, at the ground level, (probably from the brushes kicking it out). I ran my hand over the top of the main unit and felt and saw nothing at all. Yep, the filters work fine.

CONS:

1. That air-hose fan folds--it comes unextended at 40 inches and extends passed 75 inches. At around 70 inches it will begin to pull the vacuum over on its back. (Tested with the unit turned off).
2. If you attach the upholstery tool to it the hose will NOT stretch out ONE inch without pulling the unit over (too much suction in the hose does this)
3. Most of the unit is black, most of the attachments are black--when you first get this unit it will be hard to see where things go--the instructions don't help much.
4. That one screw (puts the handle to the main unit), screws into the back--not the side as appeared in the instructions. (The pictures are hard to see details).
5. Because of that flexable hose that won't stretch when you attach the upholstry tool--I don't recommend this on stairs at all. (get some used hoses that are 'stiff' and use them when its time to do the stairs--make sure you get one that fits).
six The edger on the side of the vac only gets to one inch of the baseboard.
7. Unit is not selfpropelled.

All in all I like this unit. The short comings didn't add up to loosing one star with me. That upholstery tool is a neat idea. The one reviewer mentioning that it could break you finger is correct--that thing has some pretty high RPMs going for it.

As I said earlier, I tested this up against my 30+ year old Hoover (no tools onboard) self-propelled. I used the Hoover like people do when they are about to steam clean their carpets--real slow! Baby steps. I just did the hallway, it's around 20ft long and 45 inches wide. I sucked all the dust and dirt out of it the mighty Hoover could. Then I went over it with my new Bissell.

I didn't go slow.

I pulled two cups of 'fine' grained dust out of that old carpet. I'd have to say that's a winner right there.

All in all I'd have to say (since some higher end hand held dustbusters cost over $80 bucks) this unit is worth at least what it cost.

FINALLY;

I would keep a close eye out for a better flexable hose to do upholstery and stairs with--something not quiet as flexable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but flawed design, April 24, 2010
This is a good vacuum. Good suction, easy to empty. Works great on floors and carpets.
But, and I'm surprised I haven't seen this in more comments, it spews dust if you want to use the detachable parts. If you want to use the wand or brush, you detach the hose from the bottom part that vacuums the floor. However, once you turn the vacuum on, you get suction in both the hose and the floor-cleaning part. And because the hose is not attached to the bottom, everything that part sucks up is shot back out from the hole in the back, covering the vacuum in dust and dirt. I've been countering that by putting a tissue in the opening, and that seems to block the barrage of dust, but I'm not terribly happy at having to do that. Seems like something that shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

1.0 out of 5 stars One-trick wonder, April 23, 2010
A. King (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
When my vacuum cleaner arrived, I was ecstatic. My Eureka had been broken for several months, and we could not afford to replace it immediately. This Bissell Cleanview picked up more dirt and dust than I ever could have imagined. I had to remove and wash the filters after the very first use because they were caked with grime and dust. They washed up well, and off again I went vacuuming the next day.

As some other reviews have mentioned, it didn't do very well with bare floors, but that didn't bother me (that's what a Swiffer is for)!

I really love the Turbo Brush attachment. They say it's for furniture, but I used it for hard to reach places behind and underneath furniture. The attachments have excellent suction.

My problem is, after less than a month, the brush no longer spins. I was noticing lots of cat hair being left behind, and as it turns out, the brush is not spinning. Maybe it is worn out since it spins even while using the hand-held attachments? I am not sure. I don't think I can return it to Amazon because it is used, so I seem to be stuck with a vacuum cleaner that does not work! This has been a huge disappointment.

It was fun while it lasted, but I need fun to last a little bit longer.