4.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the bad reviews...
Published on August 2, 2010 by stilettostarlet

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing
Published on January 17, 2009 by Thomas Walsh

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the bad reviews..., August 2, 2010
This review is from: BISSELL Big Green Complete Home-Cleaning System, 7700 (Kitchen)
I was very hesitant to purchase this vacuum because of the bad reviews. Glad I didn't listen and went for it. This vacuum DOES NOT have a suction problem! I am fairly confident the issue is people don't read and comprehend the user manual. The problem comes down to TWO fill lines on the water tank. The fill line on the front (which is easy to see) is the water line when you must EMPTY the water tank. The real water fill line for normal vacuum operation is on the back of the water tank and is harder to see. The water fill line on the back is about 1-2 gallons less water than the one on the front. I did an experiment and the more full the water tank, the less suction power (makes sense as more water in the tank means it is harder to pull air through the system). When the proper amount of water is used (or even a little less to cheat) this thing has great suction!
Biggest positive:
1- Water filtered vacuum is awesome. This allows for almost zero dust being expelled from the vacuum. No longer do I get "allergy nose" after I vacuum for an hour or so.

As much as I like this product, I can't give it 5 stars.
Drawbacks:
1- The canister is pretty large and heavy. I could not imagine my grandmother using this vacuum.
2- Wish the wand was a little longer or adjustable. I'm 6ft and need to bend a bit.
3- The lid on the water tank doesn't have a latch, if the canister ever flips over you are going to have a mess on your hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE READ THIS!!!!, July 4, 2011
This machine is great for hardwood floors, tile floors, flat carpeting, cleaning upholstery, steam cleaning rugs/carpets and auto interiors....when used correctly! 1)Never rely on "air-driven" turbo-brushes, regardless of the make/model! 2)Read instructions thoroughly and make sure when vacuuming to use the water fill-line in the back of the water filtration container 3)You can remove the HEPA filter in the front of the machine if you like; this will create more air-flow, thus increasing your suction and cleaning ability/power! (the water in the container and the hepa filter in the back of the machine are more than enough filtration!)
4)If you know you will be vacuuming around baby changing table or anywhere body powders are applied, add 3 tablespoons of mineral oil to the water because baby powder/body powder cannot get wet....the oil will "grab" the powder and keep it in the water filtration container! 5)Never use more cleaning solution than directed when doing "wet" cleaning! 6)Even without the turbo brush, this machine will probably pick-up more dirt than regular vacuums because it never loses it's air-flow, which is the true ability to clean/pick-up! 7)You can add a few drops of fragranced oils to the water, this will freshen the air while you clean! 8)When done using machine....rinse/dry and wipe down the water filtration tank with alcohol or vinager before storing! 9)IMPORTANT: IT IS VITAL THAT YOU CHANGE THE WATER WHILE CLEANING WHEN YOU NOTICE THAT THE WATER IS FILTHY, ALSO, YOU WILL MAY NOTICE THAT YOU ARE ABOVE THE WATER FILL-LINE WHEN IT IS FILTHY DUE TO INCREASED MATTER IN THE TANK....THIS REDUCES ITS CLEANING ABILITY, IT ONLY TAKES A COUPLE OF MINUTES TO FLUSH THE FILTHY/DIRTY WATER AND REFILL IT! 10)You can use this machine to clean the air in your home....when finished cleaning, change the water, add some fragranced oil if you like (we like a few drop of eucalyptus.)and run without any attachments on the intake in each room for 10 minutes once a week, this will greatly reduce the amount of dust in your home, reduce allergy symptons and increase indoor air quality!!!! Sometimes before we have company, we like to place the machine in the center of the house with some Lavender fragranced oil and run for 15 minutes....our guest always comment on how nice the air is in our home!:) Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Soooo Glad I Found This Machine, May 31, 2010
P. Sterling (Mesa, Arizona USA) - See all my reviews
I don't know why, but I obsess over my tile floors. I have to have them clean and there can't be streaks, spots or dirty grout. To me, it never seemed like a good idea to throw water on the floor, swich it around until dirty, then let it dry. The floor is still dirty. I knew there had to be a better idea. I searched all the stores, then online. I found this machine almost by accident, I think. And you can only get it online. It's the perfect price point. Thank you Amazon -- and thanks to the people who took the time to provide reviews. I had my machine within a couple days.

The first day I used it I knew I had found what I needed. It was immediately obvious that this machine is superior for cleaning the approximately 1800 square feet of ceramic tile in my house. The grout was cleaner, there were no streaks, no spots and, best of all, the effort I expended to clean it was much less than that stupid mop and bucket.

Not only that, I was able to clean my chairs, two couches, and the carpet in the rest of the house. The dirt that came out of all my furniture made me both feel dirty for living on them but also a lot healthier now that they are so much cleaner. I also cleaned the carpet and other fabric areas in my cars with the same great results.

Now, I've only had this machine for a few weeks so I don't know how it's going to last -- especially since I plan to use it a lot. But it seems well made and sturdy. It's not a professional machine to clean tens of thousands of square feet in heavy use buildings. But I found what I need for my 2,400 sq foot house.

I highly recommend this machine if you have a similar situation to mine. Bissell, you could market this machine a little better so more people can benefit from it. But thanks for a great product. You have my endorsement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviews don't do this thing justice, March 26, 2009
I bought this after a Hoover Steamvac died. I tried a Dirt Devil Easy Steamer and hated it. I work in hospitality and am used to canister style steam cleaners. This is about as close to a commercial unit as you are going to get, just without the huge size and high cost. it does a fantastic job. Not sure what is going on with the bad reviews. I have had this for several months now and use it quite often with animals in the house. It works perfectly every time. It has even gotten out stains that I thought were never coming out! I would definatley recommend this carpet cleaner.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Big Green Clean Machine better than ever!, September 12, 2009
We had one of the original Big Green Clean Machines for many, many years and used it regularly - loved it. When ours finally breathed its last, I started shopping for a new one and found that the new incarnation offered way more than the original. I ordered it - it arrived promptly and we immediately started to use it. It is a great machine and does virtually everything - shampooing, vacuuming - does it all. Much better than the old one. Can't go wrong buying this machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent carpet cleaning, poor vacuum, April 4, 2008
Chris Nagele (Philadelphia, PA, USA) - See all my reviews
I was really excited about this because of the multi-function use. At the same time, I was skeptical. Our little dog likes to pee in small places on the carpet, so we needed good carpet cleaner that would deep clean these areas.

The carpet cleaner works very well. Both the large cleaner extension and the handheld spray and suction the water, which most others do not do. It was a decision between this and the Hoover Agility. The Agility does not seem to have a sprayer on the extension hose.

When it comes to the vacuum, it's not that great. The suction is only good enough for area rugs. The carpet extension has a air powered brush that stops working on normal carpet and it only cleans the top surface debris.

So, if you want something for hardwood and deep carpet cleaning this is great. Just don't try to replace a regular vacuum cleaning with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the investment, October 6, 2010
George F. Smith (Lawrenceville, Georgia) - See all my reviews
I still own the original Big Green but needed to retire it because I could only use it with earplugs. Other than that, it has been and still is a real workhorse. Over the past decade I've used it not only to clean carpets but soak up water when the basement was flooding after heavy rains. I have two dogs and a young grandson, plus I work in the yard often and track my share of mud, leaves, grass, etc. into the house. I can't get along without a good deep cleaning system.

Frankly, I was discouraged when I read that Bissell was no longer making the BG. They were abandoning a winner, and I had read reviews of BG Complete that sounded like the company had taken a step backward. One day my former son-in-law came by with his new BG Complete and let me test it. I was immediately sold. Negative reviews to the contrary, it is a major improvement on the original. I purchased my own and have used it often for the last three months or so. I've used it as both a wet and regular vacuum, and it's amazing how much it can pick up, and how easily it does it. I'm talking about carpets that could easily pass for clean. I swear, it pulled enough dog hair out of the bedroom carpet to clothe a new dog. The color of the water I poured out was disgusting but at the same time reassuring. The machine is quiet (for a vacuum) and easy to move around. Everything about it seems well thought out. Everything fits, nothing seems cheap, it doesn't leak, and is easy to clean once you get the procedure down. Unlike the original, you have the option of heating the water, which I appreciate. I can do an entire floor of the house much faster than I could with the old one and not feel nearly as tired. And the new one looks sharp.

Bissell's Big Green Complete is one of my favorite tools. I recommend it highly to people concerned about keeping their floors and carpets clean.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, January 17, 2009
Thomas Walsh (Hernando Beach, Fl) - See all my reviews
Bought this as a gift, because previous Big Green Machine finally died. We loved that machine so of course thought the new version would be just as good and better since the new one can heat the water...WRONG. Out of the box didn't work. Called Bissell thinking they would have me return it for a new one. Wrong again, "take it to service center to be repaired". Brand new and one day later in repair shop. 3 weeks later pick it up with NEW pump, tried it for 15 minutes and the pump quit pumping again. This time returned to Amazon for refund going to find an OLD Big Green Machine and stay away from new and improved Bissell products as well as their "customer service". Terrible terrible for an item that cost almost $300.00. Shame on Bissell!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good deep cleaning.. parts could be better, May 27, 2009
Purchased this for a home with mostly tile, a few area rugs, and dogs that have occasional accidents. The deep cleaning and hardwood floor fuctions are EXCELLENT - best unit I've seen for actually removing pet hair and not spreading it around. Carpet deep cleaner also works amazingly well. As with another review the vacuum is only so-so and I would recommend keeping a small upright on hand for large carpet areas.

My only real MAJOR complaint with this unit is that some of the parts are kind of flimsy. The deep cleaning attachment broke after a few uses, but was cheap to replace - about $15. We also had an issue with one of the hoses springing a leak, but were able to repair it ourselves. Overall, I would recommend this unit, but only to those who are able to take good care of their things - you have to maintain this unit well (empty tank, rinse parts, etc) for it to continue to work well.

5.0 out of 5 stars this machine is great, April 17, 2010
I purchased this machine after my old big greeen machine gave out after 14 years of hard work. This machine works as well as the old one and is half as noisy. I am extremely pleased and noted the changes in design make this machine less bulky to use and the additional features make it more versatile. I look forward to many years of use with my Bissell.

BISSELL Big Green Complete Home-Cleaning System, 7700