5.0 out of 5 stars The Bissell DeepClean is Deep, Clean Bliss....
This is not my first Bissell carpet cleaner. I previously owned one of Bisell's ProHeat 2x models. Like that model, this DeepClean Premier cleans carpet through water extraction. It sprays a water/cleaner solution on the carpet and then extracts the (now dirty) water as you make subsequent passes over the carpet.

I got this unit after my old one stopped...
Published 16 months ago by B. Colonna

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional Water Sucker Brusher
I have had my current carpet for around 8 years. It has been frequently vacuumed, but never deep cleaned. How did the Bissell Premier fair with my neglected fibers?

SETUP

Construction of the 47A2 was simple. Three screws were all it took to have it ready to go, and the instructions made sense.

BUILD

The build quality is what...
Published 12 months ago by Nerd Alert

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bissell DeepClean is Deep, Clean Bliss...., March 4, 2013
This review is from: BISSELL DeepClean Premier Full Sized Carpet Cleaner, 47A2 (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

I got this unit after my old one stopped working. I had it for several years, but used it only once or twice a year in three average/small rooms, so to me it failed prematurely. The sprayer failed, which apparently was a frequent occurrence on the older models. I am hoping this one is better in that regard.

I loved the way the ProHeat cleaned my carpets, and the DeepClean does the same fantastic job.a

The box includes the cleaner (needs minor assembly), and a trial size bottle of Bissell cleaning solution. The cleaner weighs about 24 pounds. Assembly is simply a matter of attaching the handle with two supplied screws, and then attaching part of the electrical cord holder, which is a plastic piece which secures with one screw. The electrical cord is approximately 22 feet long. The cleaner's path is a foot wide. It also includes a small job tool, which Bissell calls the Stain Tool, which is 3 inches wide and mounts on the sprayer/hose, like you might mount a handtool on a vacuum cleaner. The unit has a carrying handle to help lift it when you wish to carry it. The front does not have any sort of cushioned bumper.

The tank on this model is about 25% larger than my old ProHeat. It is a similar tank, combining a bladder for reclaimed, dirty water, and a tank for clean water/solution mixture. Since you have to stop and empty the dirty water when the bladder is full, a bigger tank is better.

The cleaning head is a lot like the one on the ProHeat. It is basically a roller with rows of brushes on it (in this case 10 rows), similar to a vacuum cleaner.

The DeepClean Premier does NOT have an on board heater that you can shut on and off, as did the ProHeat. However, the DeepClean uses Bissell's new Heatwave technology. Sound fancy? Actually it is a cleaver design, where heat generated from the cleaner's motor is channeled to the bottom of the water tank and the brush areas.

Directions are pretty simple. Pre-treat if you have some tough stains. Fill the clean water tank by unlatching the top and adding 5 ounces of cleaner to the bladder tank. If you fill the included measuring cup twice, that's 5 ounces. Fill the tank the rest of the way with hot tap water (NO boiling/microwaved water!). Then reattach the top of the tank, and plug in the cleaner. Turn it on and you are ready to clean!

As you pass over the carpet, you press the trigger to activate the sprayer. This wets the carpet with the cleaning solution. Take your time and do not saturate the carpet. Periodically empty the dirty water from the tank. When you are done cleaning, you should check the tank and remove any debris.

It is recommended that you perform a rinse step on the carpet, passing over the entire carpet with just water in the unit to rinse it and remove any additional dirt or cleaner residue.

I found that the unit cleans just as well as my old ProHeat. You will likely see some color come back into your carpets, and you'll see a lot of dirt come out. I have some light colored carpets which are 10 year or so old, and after I clean with this unit, they look close to new again. You can really see the difference and how dingy your carpets may have become over time. In our house, we vacuum every day, but its not the same as a good water extraction cleaning.

You can add accessories like hand tools and a hard floor cleaner, which is like a rubber squeegee which attaches to the unit.

The warranty on this unit is three years.

I would highly recommend this model. It does an excellent job cleaning carpets, just as well as I have seen by professional cleaners. About the only cleaner I have seen outdo the ProHeat, and now the DeepClean, is Bissell's own Big Green Deep Cleaning Machine, but that costs a lot more than the DeepClean, and frankly unless you are going to be cleaning your carpets by water extraction more than once a month, this one will get the job done very nicely. I would opt for the Big Green model only if you are doing very frequent/heavy duty cleaning, in a huge house with lots of carpets where that machine will help cut time, or if you are cleaning office carpets, etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic carpet cleaner... minor complaints, March 27, 2013
Steve (Richmond, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got my first carpet cleaner less then a year ago, but I've grown quite familiar with them as this is now my third. I got this unit for a second house I own... not a very old house, but it's used for various 'get-togethers' and has off-white carpeting. The carpets have gotten quite dirty and were in desperate need of a good cleaning.

First, the instructions are actually exceptional... my wife, who never setup our other two cleaners, found setting this cleaner up to be very easy with the detailed manual. Cleaning with it was easy at the beginning, but halfway though my wife found the unit's weight to be fighting against her... as time went on, she grew increasingly tired and found the cleaner to be more and more cumbersome. I used it for a hallway section and found it to be about as heavy and maneuverable as my current favor cleaner, the Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer, when both are filled with water (the Hoover is lighter when empty, but holds more water). In the end, the Bissell cleaner did a FANTASTIC job on our carpets... they look brand new again.

Emptying and washing out the waste water container was quite easy... something my wife was very happy about after wrestling with this unit for some time. We both had the same single complaint about this unit though: the clean water and shampoo is kept in a bladder inside the waste water container, so when the waste water container begins filling up, you can't tell how much clean water you have left.

Comparing to the Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer, FH50150 ([...]):
Both are roughly the same price (the Hoover is currently a bit cheaper on Amazon).

1) The Hoover uses two tanks... one for clean and one for dirty water, so the levels are very visible. As mentioned, the Bissell uses a bladder within a tank, so it's difficult to see the amount of clean water left. You have to estimate how much is left by how much waste water is in the tank... something that will become more familiar in time. Cleanup is easier with the Bissell, but the Hoover wins here in my opinion.

2) The Hoover keeps the water and shampoo separated and is mixed as you use the cleaner, so you can switch from wash to rinse on the fly... huge advantage here for the Hoover as the bissell's bladder must be emptied and refilled with fresh water in order to rinse your carpet.

3) The Bissell's upholstery attachment has a hose that's slightly longer then the Hoover's (9' vs 8'). The Hoover comes with several attachments for upholstery and stairs, while the Bissell comes with a single 'upholstery/tough stain' tool. Both seem to do an equally impressive job on upholstery, so the advantage here goes to Hoover for the variety of attactments.

4) The Hoover uses five small rotating discs with brushes to clean carpets while the Bissell uses two horizontal spinning cylinders with brushes (similar to a vacuum). I haven't compared them side by side, but just the way the unit feels when cleaning and watching the way the brushes scrub the carpet, I'd give a big advantage to the Bissell's system. The Bissell clearly does a better job getting down in deep into the carpet. The Hoover got our colored carpets very clean, but the Bissell got our off-white carpets spotless and looking brand new.

Currently, the Hoover is at my home where it's used 60% for upholstery and 40% carpets (w/stairs). The Bissell is at a second house where it's used 80% for carpets (no stairs) and 20% for upholstery. I would say it's the perfect matchup... the Hoover has various attachments for use on upholstery and stairs, while the Bissell's strong point is by far its carpet deep-cleaning abilities. If I could only keep one, I would stick with the Hoover due to it's ability to switch between wash and rinse on the fly... that option is just way too convenient to live without. If you plan to clean mostly carpets that need a serious deep-cleaning, I would recommend the Bissell quite highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Save yourself $100 with this effective, compact, fool-proof lightweight model, July 25, 2013
Dr. M. A. Dixon "hyper-observant" (last seen singing in her ocean-view garden) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I enjoy clean carpets and, well, we get them dirty faster than I would like. I've tried many carpet cleaners and this is my favorite one so far.

For me, this one is the most fool-proof while getting the job done which is why I rated it higher than the others (some of which I returned because of not liking them at all). Some of the others are designed in such a way that if you do not connect the tanks exactly the way you it wants, you get no suction so you might be halfway through your job before you realize that it isn't extracting water. Not so with the Bissell DeepClean Premier Upright Deep Cleaner 47A2! First of all you can see the water as it is being extracted from the carpet so you can tell if you are leaving water in the carpet or sucking it back out.

The are very few pieces to assemble and it is fool-proof. It is compact and lightweight as the clean/dirty water is housed in the same space separated by a plastic bladder.

There are many kinds of carpet out there and probably the directions are to suit most which say:
1. While pressing the trigger, make one slow forward wet pass and another one back.
2. Release the trigger and make one slow forward and backward pass over the same area. Repeated passes will aid in dry time.
However, I found that it is best for my berber carpet, to do the extraction passes slower than the wet passes. Also, as the water spread, it is best to make 2 extraction passes that cover a wider area than the wet pass. Also, for my cleaner it seems to work best if I work from left to right as the right side doesn't seem to extract as well as the left.

It comes with a sample of cleaner that is enough to fill the tank twice and was enough for me to do the high traffic areas in my great room and one nasty spot on the stairs. The cleaner fragrance is unpleasant when putting into the cleaning tank but does not leave a residue fragrance on the carpets when extracted. The dirty water was practically black and my carpets do look so much nicer.

The place where you put in clean water is a little tricky to get at but I can in my kitchen but not in my bathrooms.

I love this Bissell 47A2; the only thing I wish was different it that the machine base looks pretty grungy after just 2 cleaning tanks even after I tried washing it out in the shower.

I do not know why there is such a huge effectiveness difference between carpet cleaners especially within a brand. I tried the BISSELL DeepClean Deluxe Pet Upright Deep Cleaner, 36Z9 with a MSRP of $100 higher than this 47A2 and found it didn't suction well at all. Save yourself $100 with this effective, compact, fool-proof lightweight model the BISSELL DeepClean Premier Upright Deep Cleaner, 47A2.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but heavy and I wish it had a separate tank for dirty water, July 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My carpet is super clean now. Super duper clean. But, not without a lot of effort.

Let's start with the specs.
The Deep Clean Premier has heat wave technology that keeps the water in the vacuum hot while you take the time to vacuum. This is a great feature because it prevents the water from getting cold. The carpet cleaner has a 1.25 gallon tanks and that helps to take less trips to empty it out. I only had to empty it out twice per room, and that takes into account rinsing.

Assembly.
The assembly process was extremely easy. The instructions were easy to understand and everything just clicked into place.

On to the cleaning.
I vacuumed the rooms with my regular vacuum to get most of the dirt out. I removed all furniture from the other room and filled the bucket. The carpet cleaner comes with an 8oz carpet cleaner detergent. Now, the instructions recommends that you fill the tank with 5oz of liquids. So, the detergent size that comes with the carpet cleaner is enough to only do one room. The Bissell is easy to use but, boy is it heavy! Taking into account the weight of the item, about 25 lbs plus the 10+ lbs from the 1.25 gallon water tank, you are lugging around over 35 pounds, over a few hours. I was exhausted by the end and my arm ached.i realize that this is a carpet cleaner and it will be heavy, but, it is something that needs to be mentioned. I have back ache issues and this was a killer on my back. The should pack icy hot with this item.

Moving the cleaner back and forth was not hard (although heavy over the long period of time I used it). But, it was cumbersome to move it over to the next parallel section of carpet that I wanted to clean.

Another cumbersome issue that I encountered was the tank itself. The Bissell uses a bladder system when're the detergent and water goes in the bladder. As you scoop up used water whilst vacuuming, the water accumulates on the outside of the bladder. Now this is an annoying issue for 2 reasons:

1. You can't see how much clean water with detergent you have left. Whilst you can see all the dirt water accumulating and rising up in the tank, this same water obscures from view the clean water. I only realized I had run out of water when no more water came out of the cleaner. Separate tanks side by side would be preferable.

2. The bladder gets all dirty with the dirty water because the dirty water tank is what holds the clean water bladder. It is a deal breaker? No. But, it makes the entire thing harder to clean. The exterior of the water will never be clean because i can't get around it t clean it.

This is a great cleaner. My carpet looks a bit brighter and I rinsed until the water came out less murky. It definitely works. There are a few things that can be done to better the product. But, overall, this is a great carpet cleaner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best buy ever :D, May 11, 2013
I got this because the carpets in my new apartment are really dirty from the maintenance guys tracking their dirty shoes in and out. Plus there were pet stains on the carpet. This took care of it all and the carpets smell really nice. It was easy to use and was actually quieter than my vacuum cleaner. I just wish the brushes had a little more spin to them

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional Water Sucker Brusher, July 8, 2013

SETUP

BUILD

The build quality is what I would expect for this price range. It does not feel like a commercial unit that will last decades, but the plastic is thick nothing rattles. Deconstructing for cleaning is easy and the process is thought out well.

FUNCTION

The 47A2 has good suction, if not remarkable, and keeps the hot water hot. The brushes work into the carpet moderately well, and with mine a bit too well. It whipped up little wads of carpet fibers that subsequently clogged the cleaner. So, I had to stop it and take it apart multiple times.

Moving the cleaner around is pretty awkward, particularly when changing directions. The wheels could have been designed much better.

There is no clean water tank, so a repeat trip to the sink will need to be made for those who want to do a clean rinse.

CLEANUP

Cleaning the system is fast and easy.

CONCLUSIONS

The Premier does a decent job cleaning carpet, but does not offer exceptional functionality or performance that would make it an easy recommendation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not the best. Leaves the carpet pretty wet., March 25, 2013
D. Pentecost "davoice" (Earth, Milkey Way Galaxy) - See all my reviews
Heads up... The Quick Start guide for the Deep Clean Premier states "Pour 5 ounces of forumla into the heavy duty bladder..." But that's too much! Be sure to read and follow the label instructions, not the quick start guide!

Problem: The Deep Clean Premier comes with Deep Clean 2x formula. The 2x formula specifies 2.5 ounces per gallon (1 measuring cup's worth). The capacity of the Deep Clean Premier is 1.25 gallons. Thus, at most, you need 3.125 ounces of formula. 5 ounces of formula is almost twice too much - and generates a lot of residual suds in both the carpet and a lot of suds in the tank.

I like the double brush roll of the Deep Clean units. They seem to help lift the nap of the carpet better than other options I've used. It seems to clean pretty well and is easy enough to use. The major detraction for me is how wet the carpets are left. I've used the Hoover MaxExtract before. By comparison, the Deep Clean Premier leaves the carpets at least twice as wet as the MaxExtract.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superior use of plastic and gravity, August 16, 2013
This review is for the Bissell model #80R4 and this review is based on two occasions or roughly 4 hrs of operation. So far I like the machine and its results as indicated with four stars. If I get at least three more cleanings from this machine before failure I will again seek this model out for repurchase.

After purchasing so many carpet cleaners through the years I have few delusions regarding home upright cleaners. These are ultimately disposable machines! I regard them as a group as temporary devices useful for (maybe) a half-dozen occasions. Trouble free performance beyond this I consider sheer boasting rights! IMO the trick is to get a machine that is cheap enough that over the life of the cleaner when my time, convenience, labor, and transportation are all lumped together--the purchase cost beats the equivalent number of store rentals and returns.

These days IMO one should not buy based upon a company name or a claimed warranty. These plastic carpet machines are just that: necessarily plastic and mostly meant for carpets more so than for upholstery and never never on bare floors. As a group plastic uprights are subject to loss of vacuum, clogged tubing and clogged check valves, and of course eventual material failure. For me this is all an acceptable trade off even including the eventual discarding of the defunct machine provided in the end my purchase price plus its discard is in total LESS than the equivalent episodes of store rentals and returns or equivalent instances of professional cleanings. For me this is an easy calculation.

All this said Bissell's branded Deep Clean Premier model #80R4 impresses me over others at this price point. The unit is simple in design and operation. By comparison with others I have bought this Chinese-built #80R4 employs gravity to simplify the design, specifically gravity where others I am acquainted with have relied on compression fittings and gaskets. This unit has zero large gaskets. The unit's weight--important for me!--seems a tad more than others I have bought yet its center of mass is borne uniquely over its large wheels (rear) and duel roller brushes (front) with very little felt in the upright portion.

There are few compression fittings to loosen and fail. In fact there are essentially three total parts! This carpet cleaner's assembly is accomplished rigidly (gravity again) with just three customer screws total. There is only one electrical switch! Hot water tub filling is a snap with this one! There is no separate reservoir (and hose and fittings) for detergent. Instead you simply add measured detergent directly to the clean water bladder. Both waste water and cleaning water are housed in its single tank separated by a bladder.

When tank filling and when waste water emptying there is no gasket seal to carefully pry loose. There is no compression fitting to gingerly work apart. Simply two zero-load bearing buckles allow straight up release and with that you're headed for the tub.

In operation it's powerful suction increases carpet drag noticeably but leaves my carpet immediately usable and totally dry overnight.

Weight, cost, simple design and operation, in-home convenience plus clean, near-dry carpets have motivated me to recommend this (yes disposable!) carpet cleaner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Making your carpets look new again, July 17, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This isn't my first Bissell deepclean carpet cleaning hoover/system but I've found that they are excellent systems for making your carpets look brand new.

The first thing you notice about the Bissell is that it's quite heavy, compared to a normal vacuum cleaner. It's not that it's overly big, it's roughly the same size and dimensions as a standard vacuum, but obviously does a different job. It gets even heavier once you fill the water tank, which can take quite a bit of water. The water tank, when full, in fairly heavy just in itself.

The cleaner itself feels and looks like it is made of cheap plastic. This isn't a problem though as it appears to be solid and fairly robust.

As stated before, this isn't my first Bissell and just like my previous one, there was no instructions or user manual inside the packaging. Assembling the Bissell Deepclean system is very easy, consisting of a few bolts, two of which to hold the handle in place, and a couple of attachment holders. Its fairly obvious how to put the cleaning system together and it takes less than 5 minutes to do.

Once together you remove the water holder, fill it with hot water (not boiling) and add some cleaner (you receive a small sample bottle of Bissell cleaner with the product which is good for maybe 4 or 5 uses), plug the cleaner in, re-seat the water container and off you go. It's really that easy. (You can find an online user guide on Bissells' website if you need one although it is very straightforward and chances are you won't need to reference it).

I have 3 cats as pets, One of which suffered an injury recently and for a while she wasn't using the litter box. I have since rectified this obviously and made up a large shallow litter tray which she can use, which sits on a plastic cover to catch overspilled litter etc. however around the edges of this plastic sheeting the carpet is a mess and regularly needs to be cleaned. A standard vacuum cleaner will not do the job. This is as good a place as any to test out the Bissell and to compare it to the previous Bissell that I have.

Operating the cleaner is easy, just like a vacuum except you press a button in the handle to spray your carpet with cleaner on the forward push then release the button for the cleaner to suck back up the water on the backward pull. The Bissell does a fantastic job of sucking the moisture back up out of your carpet. From use with my previous Bissell I have found the best way to clean your carpet is to spray a whole section of your carpet with the cleaning fluid first, this will give the cleaning fluid a bit more time to soak in and do its job, then go back to your starting point and start to suck it back out of your carpet. For heavily or deep stained areas you can simply go over it again with the standard push/spray pull/suck motion.

When you are finished your carpet is slightly damp, but this is the same for any water deepclean carpet cleaner, even industrial ones. The suction mechanism does a good job and your carpet dries out fairly quickly so there is no need to worry about getting mold or ruining the underlying padding with this product. You could quite easily use this to help dry up any bad spills that land on your carpet.

It took about 10-15 minutes to cover an area roughly 12 feet by 10 feet and the cleaner worked beautifully. My carpet looks like brand new again. All the stains gone, ground in dirt gone and the whiteness of the carpet stands out. You can notice the difference almost immediately upon using the cleaner.

One thing I did notice with this model that I didn't with my previous Bissell is that this one I sometimes get little lumps of wet cat hair that it won't suck up and just deposits on the carpet. These are big enough that it's easy to just pick them up however.

Cleaning the Bissell system after use is quite easy to do and fairly straightforward as most of the places that you need to get into to remove sucked up pet hair etc, come apart quite easily for cleaning and simply snap back into place.

The cleaner does however have some minor problems. First the bracket that holds the vacuum hose doesn't fit as well as it should and during use the hose came loose and fell down on a few occasions. My previous Bissell had the same problem and this was one that I hoped they had fixed in this later model as after a while this can get slightly annoying, however its not a major issue. Secondly when cleaning the Bissell after use, there is a very small and tight gap that the water spray comes out of that had some pet hair left stuck in it and this is fairly niggly to get clean. I took a couple of cotton buds, cut off the ends and used the small pipe that remained to clean this part. I initially tried to just rinse it under a tap but found that this didn't remove all the pet hair that had accumulated in this area.

If you want a cleaning system that will make your carpets look like new again then I would highly recommend this Bissell. It does an excellent job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Machine, April 21, 2013
Picked up all stains that were left over from trying to potty train two new dogs. At first I was worried because I accidently ordered the premium instead of the one for pets. After calling the company I found out the only difference is the deep clean pet attachment that you can buy separately. So, before I went and ordered the separate pet part I gave it a try and the results were fantastic. It picked up all the dirt and urine that built up over the winter. I didn't even have to use any pre-treatment.

BISSELL DeepClean Premier Full Sized Carpet Cleaner, 47A2