3,206 Reviews
 (2,000)

1,166 of 1,192 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Win the pet hair battle!
I am a veterinary technician at a small animal clinic. When our central vac system malfunctioned our office manager picked up this machine to use until repairs could be made. I was completely amazed by this light-weight, easy to maneuver vac. Hair, toenail clippings, dirt all gone! We've tried other stick vacs at the clinic and they usually just push the hair and nails...
Published on February 24, 2011 by Freddiecat

1.0 out of 5 stars The first time I've been so misled by so many 4+ stars
Every time I use this vacuum I get all mad and tell myself I need to sit down and write a review on it.

I bought this vacuum on amazon for a Christmas present to myself. I was really stoked on the price and all the great reviews on it. I need a vacuum that is great on hardwood floors and for pets. I have two cats and a dog, and the whole house is hard wood...
Published 13 months ago by LadyQ

5.0 out of 5 stars The only vacuum I've ever loved., November 26, 2011
This review is from: BISSELL PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Corded Vacuum, 81L2A (Same as 81L2T) (Misc.)
I absolutely love this vacuum. Someone else had said they were looking for floors to vacuum after this product and that is how I was. I have two cats, one who sheds heavily so I have cat hair dust bunnies on my floors constantly. I have all wood, stone and ceramic in an older home and had actually given up on vacuums because I hadn't found one that I liked and the dust mop and Swiffer just weren't cutting it. A friend suggested this one and after reading reviews I decided to try it. The price was right, it came quickly, was packaged well and I was in love within two minutes after turning it on! My floors haven't looked this good in ages. It gets corners, picked up all the pet hair and dust and then I just dumped the container and rinsed it out and I have a clean vacuum! It is lightweight and maneuvers well. I had to get used to the way it moved but once I did it was wonderful. They aren't real clear in the instructions about the cord holder and it just takes some firm pressure to get them to move where you can wrap the cord. Thank you for such a great product!

4.0 out of 5 stars best of the bunch, July 28, 2011
After reviewing all hard floor stick vacs, I purchased this one and am not sorry I did. It does what it says it does, sucking up everything in its path without first blowing the dirt away with the exhaust, or scattering it like happens with a rolling brush-type vac, or not having a strong enough suction due to the long extension necessary on canister vacs. It's easy to clean the dirt container & filters (although this is best done with another vac with a hose!). It stands up by itself, is light, portable, works on wood stairs, easier to move around and manage than either an upright or canister vac by far. Complaints about the cord length are dismissable if you purchase an extension cord specifically made for vacuum cleaners (Target), which is supple, stays untangled, is easy to wind up, and fits on this model's cord self-storage system along with the vac's own cord. The reason I gave it only a "4" was because I still needed to use my canister vac with its attachments for sills and underneath dressers, and my upright vac for my carpeted areas. Maybe it's not possible to make a lightweight, easy to use 3-in-1 vac that can do all of these things, or maybe companies make more money if they can sell us the three vac types separately, but it sure would be great if this type of product were available. Until then, this is really a great little vac that does the job of thoroughly cleaning hard floors.

3.0 out of 5 stars Powerful but inconvenient in small spaces., February 28, 2013
We have four small dogs and two cats, and our home is approximately half tile, half carpet. I've gone through quite a few hard floor vacuums over the years, and have yet to find one that's perfect. Last summer we found ourselves fostering six kittens temporarily, in addition to all of our other furry family members, and our little Bissel 3-in1 Vac was no match for the chaos. After two weeks of lugging out the big vacuum multiple times per day to clean up cat litter with the hose attachment, I knew we were in need of a better solution.

Obviously we have a lot of pet hair, but most vacuums can handle this with ease. Where we've always ran into problems is with the heavier stuff, like dog food and cat litter. The Bissell PowerEdge Pet has NO PROBLEM with picking up dog food and cat litter! It's powerful! Its canister is plenty big, the vacuum is lightweight, the cord is long enough for the average-sized room, and it's easy to empty when necessary. The filters are easy to change, the "blower" part is in a decent spot, and I've had zero problems with hair clogging the device. I also love that it can stand on its own, so I never have to balance it against walls.

But, despite all its pros, I absolutely hate this vacuum's shape. I've read other reviews that say it just takes time to get used to the triangular base, but I've vacuumed with this vacuum almost daily for nine months now and I just don't see it happening. Sure, it can pick up anything in its path. But its path is very limited. It's extremely awkward to maneuver around furniture legs or areas with curves. Getting behind toilets is impossible, which makes this vacuum worthless in our bathrooms. To vacuum corners, you have to run the vacuum along each wall separately, which is quite the feat if you have furniture, appliances, or doors along those walls.

Would I purchase this vacuum again? Absolutely. I DO use it daily, and it's the only hard floor vacuum I've ever owned that didn't require at least three trips over the laundry room floor to pick up all the cat litter. While fostering the six kittens I mentioned earlier, we had a total of eight cats and four litter boxes. I was vacuuming two to three times a day, and this vacuum had ZERO issues (except for those pesky corners). It picks up dog food just as easily as it did on Day 1. It's made my life easier for sure! BUT, I still have to use a second vacuum for corners and tight spaces, and considering this is the only hard floor vacuum I've ever owned that didn't fit behind a toilet, I consider this a major flaw.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a miracle worker, February 8, 2012
Length:: 0:37 Mins

I couldn't believe that I went a year using a broom and dust pan before I got this vacuum. It's a shame it isn't available on Amazon currently, and I couldn't even find it on here to review it until I googled it. Weird? I bought it as the deal of the day for $30, and I've had it for a couple of months by now. Sweeping with two cats and a dog was a nightmare before I got this vacuum. I love it how it has the plastic guides rather than brushes that hair would get stuck on.

This vacuum does a marvelous job sucking up all the hair and all the gritty dirt that gets tracked in on a daily basis. It will NOT pick up little pebbles, but it does pick up grains the size of kitty litter. It also picks up pieces of dried grass or leaves as long as they are quite small. It doesn't have the strongest suction out there but it gets the job done for me.

If you have any sort of "lip" against a wall or in between rooms, it will not pick up dirt next to it if the vacuum edge goes on top of the lip. You need to make sure the edge of the vacuum is flush against the edge of the lip but not on top of it. (the lips I have in between rooms are from laminate floors)

I will post a video of the time I had to suck up some potting soil. The soil was almost completely dry and I was about to water it (which is how it got tipped over). I would not recommend trying to vacuum up something that is moist or wet.

It is a little strange that they have the outflow of air in the front, but I haven't had any problems with this. It'll blow papers hanging off a table or on a wall, but it's not a big deal. Vacuuming under tables like the dining table or coffee table hasn't been difficult because of this--it doesn't really blow hair or dirt around all that much like some other people have said, and it's so much better than a broom that I'd never complain about something like that anyway. If anything, I've noticed that while vacuuming underneath these things that somehow the suction vs. the blowing makes clumps of hair gravitate TOWARD the vacuum, rather than away from it.

The vacuum is very light-weight, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. It doesn't wear your arm out while using it, but if you stand the vacuum up and the cord behind it gets tugged even the slightest bit, it'll tip over. It's tipped over a few times but hasn't broken or been damaged.
Also, it takes some getting used to with the swivel head and the V shape. When I first got it, I banged it into a lot of furniture legs and walls while trying to vacuum, but neither vacuum, wall, or furniture seem any worse for the wear.

The filter gets coated in dirt and dust pretty quickly, so I clean it fairly often. Usually I just take my husband's soft-bristled hat brush and brush off all the dirt and dust on the outside/foam part and it makes it look almost like new. Only once have I actually rinsed the pieces with water. However, for some reason the instruction manual doesn't tell you that the filter actually attaches/locks into the cap of the filter cup. There's the cup the filter sits in, the lid that goes with it, and then the filter itself. The filter locks into the cap and then you can lock it into the cup. It was a pain to take the filter out and get it all to fit back together nicely before I figured that out. The "separator grill" is easy enough to clean when it gets hair tangled around it. I use it 3-4 times a week and I haven't had any problems with clogging.

The cord could be longer, but I bought a vacuum extension cord since I knew I'd be doing more than one room at a time anyway. And the vacuum is pretty loud too, if that would be a problem for you. I've never used a vacuum that isn't loud though.

I seem to be listing a lot of negative parts about this vacuum, but they are so small and it's so much better compared to a broom that I completely overlook the few tiny drawbacks. I love this vacuum and I'd buy one again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me win a two month battle with fleas, July 31, 2011
Somehow, my two indoor cats got fleas. The vet said it's because we're in San Francisco and live in a building that was around when Queen Victoria was still alive. I'd disinfected the apartment three times, given the cats four baths (not fun, let me just tell you) and given them a round of advantage and this powder that's supposed to wipe out the fleas. NONE OF THAT WORKED!!! I was seriously considering having an exterminator come in but was told that doesn't really work on fleas. So I decided to buy a new vacuum. Two in fact. This one and the Bissell handheld [...] I gave the cats one more advantage treatment and locked them in the bathroom while I set to work vacuuming with my two vaccum team. I was skeptical about the V-shape working correctly (wasn't I missing all the edges??). But alas, it ran smoothly on the floors and was very easy to maneuver. I used the handheld on the couch and the Poweredge everywhere else. That in combination with the advantage finally cured the flea problem. The vet said fleas can get in the cracks on hardwood...and I'm pretty sure that's what happened. So pleased with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my hardwood floors, July 2, 2011
I have had this for a few months now. LOVE it for my hard wood floors. I have a black lab the seems to shed non stop and also manages to drag in a lot of dirt, grass clippings and any other mess she can manage. Vacuum does a great job of getting all that up. I use it on rugs also. Doesn't do the best job on rugs, and I certainly would not use it in carpeting, but it is not intended for use on those surfaces. It does do an OK job on throw rugs but when I need a thorough job on those, I just bring out my regular vacuum.
The only reason I don't give this product 5 stars is because it is in need of a much longer cord. I am always moving to different outlets but that could always be remedied by using an extension cord.
Great vacuum for the money and certainly does a great job on hard floor surfaces.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what i needed, September 18, 2011
Ok not perfect but I am very happy with it.
Super light weight!
No brushes to clean!
the crazy shape gets corners and around table legs!
You can get under furniture too!
Perfect for dog hair on tile floors!
Priced great!
It does not blow the per hair around- it does what it says.
the only problem is when it's too full with long dog hair it will get sucked into the the filter areas and you'll need somthing to pull it out with. to solve this dump the cup each time you need to switch outlets 1/2 the room for me or maybe dont wait till you floor is so full of dog hair you can build a new dog with it.
So they could have put somthing to preven this from happening but it's $50 bucks and does everything else perfect how much can you complain. Empty the cup often and you will love this thing. it's light enough to even vaccume the dog bed with out straining yourself.
LOVE IT!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Price / Follow Up - not so great, November 28, 2012
My initial review gave 5 stars, but after using just a handful of times, i felt compelled to revise it.

The biggest issue i have is that even after emptying the collection cup and cleaning the filter it is nowhere near as good at picking up the hair as it was for those first 2-3 weeks. This in conjunction with not having a retractable cord, makes the "unique" shape" more awkward and difficult to use each time. It now resides in the basement with all the other things I no longer use and don't know what to do with.

This really is a case of you get what you pay for.
Buyer beware

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This purchase was my latest effort to win the battle against three shedding pets. Is it perfect? No.
That said however, for under $50 (including delivery), it is a lifesaver
In a nutshell, these are probably the things id want to know

Pros
price
Very quick and easy to clean
better for floors - but can work on rugs with a bit more effort
Excellent hair pickup (see photos)
Noise level does not make your own hair stand on end
reasonable weight to carry up and down stairs
clear canister makes progress visible (i.e. how much hair picked up in a very short time)

Cons
not as good on area rugs
shape makes it harder to maneuver around - a little awkward
power cord not retractable, have to wrap it around the back. somewhat of a pain (but then again..remember price).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Hard Floor Vaccuum!, August 23, 2012
Years ago, I went to Consumer Reports to get their ratings on electric broom-like products. I have lots of hard wood and tile floors in my house, and also, two cats! I have to use it daily around here. Anyway, the number one rated vacuum of this kind was this Bissell. The only warning was it takes time to get used to the V-shaped sweeper on it. We bought it and learned to LOVE it! There was no question about which one to buy this time, and we have NOT been disappointed. This new one is just as good, if not better!! And I love that I can start with an empty dust cup, finish and SEE the results of my efforts.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for pet hair and dust, but clogs easily, November 10, 2011
Molly J Elliott (Katy, TX United States) - See all my reviews
At first it did a great job of picking up pet hair and dust, but the tube and filter area clog easily. Part of the problem is you absolutely cannot pick up large items. If I suck up a leaf it gets stuck and the pet hair accumulates behind it in a large mass. Well, that means I have to do a quick sweep before I vacuum which seems like a waste of time. So I'm still looking for the perfect hardwood vac that picks up pet hair AND leaves.