4.0 out of 5 stars You wouldn't believe the gunk it got out of my carpet
My carpet is old and due for replacement. While this Bissell carpet cleaner couldn't remove years of wear, it did remove a surprising volume of dirt. At first, I didn't think it was really doing all that much. But once I emptied out the tank, my God, what a filthy carpet I was walking on! The used water was a very dark gray bordering on black. Yuck...
Published on November 28, 2009 by B.Willis

1.0 out of 5 stars Scott D
Published on December 19, 2011 by Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars You wouldn't believe the gunk it got out of my carpet, November 28, 2009
B.Willis (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: BISSELL ProHeat 2X Healthy Home Full Sized Carpet Cleaner, 66Q4 (Kitchen)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My carpet is old and due for replacement. While this Bissell carpet cleaner couldn't remove years of wear, it did remove a surprising volume of dirt. At first, I didn't think it was really doing all that much. But once I emptied out the tank, my God, what a filthy carpet I was walking on! The used water was a very dark gray bordering on black. Yuck!

There's a handy little spinning wheel icon on the base of the unit (aka the flow gauge) that tells you if everything's going according to plan, or if you need to change the water, add cleaning fluid or some other issue. If it's spinning, you're in good shape. When it stops, you need to fill or empty the tank(s).

The cleaner has 4 different "custom clean" settings. I mostly used the "normal clean" setting and then switched to "heavy traffic" for the dirtiest regions. The "Dry Aire" feature sends hot air to your carpet to aid in drying. As I write this, my living room is somewhat humid and the floor is damp. I don't think it will take long to dry though.

A small bottle of Bissell cleaning solution is included. Do yourself a favor and buy a larger bottle before this item arrives. You'll go through it pretty quickly, so probably best to buy a decent sized refill in advance of delivery. Otherwise, you are flat-out going to run out of cleaning fluid before the job is done.

So what's not to like? Well, it's somewhat heavy and bulky. For someone small and weaker, it might be a bit hard to move around. Obviously, it rolls on the carpet fine, so that's not an issue. But it's a big unit and you probably need at least a little bit of muscle (but not too much) to use it properly. The tank filled with water might be a bit heavy for some as well. You carry it like a bucket, but toting around a bucket full of water and bending down to insert and remove the tank isn't a simple thing for someone without a moderate amount of strength.

Assembly was quite easy. You put the top half into the bottom half and secure it with 3 Phillips screws. Nothing too tricky there. The tool rack requires a touch more attention. The illustration was not as clear as I would have liked and it took a bit of head scratching to figure out where a couple of tools sit on the rack. You'll figure it out, but again the illustration could be clearer.

While the top of the hose rack secures with a screw, the bottom does not. I noticed that one other reviewer said that the bottom of the rack (no screw to secure it) would not stay in place. I initially had the same problem. However, I looked at that bottom rack a bit closer and there's a tab that needs to snap in place and if you don't do it just right, it will keep falling off. Play with it and you'll see what I mean. If that bottom hose rack is popping off, you probably haven't installed it correctly. It's not hard, but you need to slide the lower hose rack piece in just right so that it clicks and locks into place. It's not just gravity that's holding it in place, but that's what you'll think if you don't do it right.

The only other problems I had was that my knee and/or the cord kept knocking the hose off of the hose rack and onto the floor. I'm no engineer, but I think it could somehow be secured a bit better. Once, I knocked the hose off and then put it back on the rack. However, the head's trigger was pushed on the stain brush, which I didn't notice. By the time I discovered that the button was pushed, my leg was very wet and the brush had soaked my wallet and remote control. Fortunately, they are fine, but keep an eye on that so you don't spray cleaning fluid where you don't want it. Also, the coiled power cord rests right next to the coiled hose and they interfere with each other. I can't help but think that they could have designed this a bit better.

I went back and forth as to whether to give this unit 4 or 5 stars. If you solely look at whether it does what you expect it to, it's a 5 star item. It cleans your carpet well and gets out a lot of visible dirt. There are a few minor issues, but overall this is a nice carpet cleaner and it cleans very well. However, I knocked that hose off so many times either with my knee or the cord that I have to give it 4 stars.

I think that this Bissell will go a long way towards keeping your carpets looking nice and potentially extending the life of your flooring. I recommend it, despite a few minor issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good cleaning machine, November 1, 2011
I purchased my 2x pro heat about 1 month ago. Prior to this I used a low end Bissell which I thought was good, but with one pass on this new cleaner I was impressed.

I want everyone to know that I recommend this cleaner, it far surpasses my lower end Bissell and the high end Hoover I borrowed from the neighbor.

Reading some of these other reviews I understand the problems with some of the negative reviews.

One person writes that the cleaner left all the water on the floor. There is a red filter/flapper on the dirty water resivour. If you get too much foam in the container there is a flap that closes the intake so that the foam does not get sucked in the cleaner. Go dump the dirty water. Then check that red flapper and make sure it is not stuck to the intake. If it is just tap the container and it will flip back down. If it is sticking then you may be using too much cleaner.

When you finish up make sure you fill the soap container with water and run rinse water over the last part of your carpet. You are asking for trouble if you do not do this. Regardless of what Bissell says, get the soap out of the lines before storing the cleaner.

If the carpet is so dirty that the water is sucking up black. Between cleanings make sure all the moving mechanisms do not have stuff caught up in them. Your asking for a belt to break otherwise.

Do not be a fool and use some home brewed serum for carpet cleaner. Use Bissell carpet cleaner products. This cleaner has a heater on-board so the home brew stuff might cook and create chaos! Never use oxyclean or comporable products, they are desintegrators of plastic. You can use Bissells oxy proucts and I recommend them. This is how I lost my old cleaner. When I was speaking with the salesperson I heard a gasp when I told them of my cleaning serum.

Some people are just not mechanically inclined so they do not think about these simple things. I hope my review allows people to understand some of the bad reviews. There is nothing wrong with this cleaner...and if I ever need to contact their customer service and I get lousy service they will not hear the end of it.

I am a director of customer service for another company.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a professional steam clean, but nice nonetheless, December 14, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had previously owned a Bissell ProHeat back in 2002 and felt that there was a lot of money invested in a cleaner that didn't really show a lot of promise. When I moved across the country, I didn't feel much of a loss when the moving company accidentally "misplaced" the ProHeat. When I saw the newer 66Q4, I wanted to test it out in order to see if Bissell had made any marked improvements over their previous lines, and alas, there's not a whole lot of change.

For around $300, you're paying for a couple of things. First off, you're paying so that you can clean your carpet on your own time; no need to schedule a professional steam cleaning company to do it for you. You're also paying for the clean that comes with "washing" the carpet instead of just vacuuming up the dust and dirt that's accumulated between the fibers. Most professional steam cleaning companies charge around $100-200 for their services (obviously depending on the size of the house/apartment), so there is a lot to be said for just purchasing your own machine and cleaning when you need to. Unfortunately there has yet to be a single-unit device made that can match the power of the multi-thousand dollar units that the pro's use. The ProHeat is no exception to that rule. So the question comes down to: Will the ProHeat work well enough that your calls to the professionals is lessened? The answer is: Yes, however you will still call them on occasion when you want your carpets "really" clean.

If you are new to carpet cleaners, there are some generic things you should know that apply to all carpet cleaners:
- They are heavy and cumbersome, even without the liquid
- They are messy, both to use and to clean up
- They will probably end up smelling (think vacuum funk)
- They take a long time to use (3-4x's as long as a normal vacuum, not including dry time)
- The cleaners are expensive and get used up quickly, and arguably, unneeded

The unit itself worked as well as expected. The dual brushes do a good job of agitating the carpet fibers so that a significant portion of the dirt embedded gets dislodged. After cleaning the area was visually "brighter" than non-cleaned areas. However, unlike professional cleaners which have a huge suction pull behind their steaming process, the ProHeat does not do a good job of reaching into the carpet pad underneath. Therefore the ProHeat will do a good job of cleaning the surface stain, however it will not remove all traces of things like pet urine (after a good cleaning with the ProHeat, the black light will still glow). Using the spot cleaner along with a little bit of enzyme-based pet urine remover formula will help. Also, it should be noted that the brushes themselves are quite stiff, so if you are seeing a lot of carpet fiber ending up in the cleaning liquid, you may want to reconsider using a agitation-based cleaner (hypothetically you should already be seeing the same behavior with your vacuum).

All-in-all, the ProHeat isn't a bad unit, however if you're considering "upgrading" from a previous model, there's not much new here; nor has the core functionality been improved. If you've never owned a carpet cleaner and just need something to do a good carpet shampooing twice a year, this is a good buy (I would consider this a bit too bulky for a day-to-day spot cleaner) and the unit itself works great as long as you understand that it is not on par with a professional steam cleaning service.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm impressed, September 2, 2012
PencilInWin (Baton Rouge, LA) - See all my reviews
##############Spoiler##############
This review is lengthy so here is a summary spoiler and my general recommendations:
SUMMARY:
Based on my experience so far I'd say using the proper chemicals and technique the bissell can do just as good of a job as most professional cleaners if you are willing to put in 2x-3x the amount of time for the same area.
RECOMMENDATIONS:
If you have a large carpeted area (500sqft+) I'd say definitely get a pro.
If you have a few bedrooms or a relatively small area (300sqft or less) and don't mind repetitiveness, some leg work, and giving up the better part of a Saturday then give this tool a go.
#############/Spoiler##############

This is not going to be a complete review of all the product features. However, please consider this a review of the bissell's capabilities and a general carpet cleaning guide to get carpet's really clean with this tool.

MY BACKGROUND:
My dad's company does carpet cleaning professionally and I have worked for him in the past. I am not an expert but I do know a good bit more about carpet cleaning then the average joe.

EXPECTATIONS:
The most important part of carpet cleaning is extraction--getting as much water out of the carpet you are cleaning as you can. So I want this thing to suck.

TECHNIQUE:
I didn't do things by the bissell book. I only used hot water and extraction from the ProHeat, no chemicals in the machine. Before I used the ProHeat I pretreated the carpet with 2 professional cleaning products and began cleaning immediately after I finished spraying down the first room.
I cleaned the carpet in small sections by doing a wet and a dry pass for each section. I repeated this process until the water in the extraction tank was clear and free of foam.
Also, I had all furniture removed from the carpeted areas before starting.

RESULTS!:
I used way to much cleaning product on the pretreatment step. As a result my extracted water was coming clear after 3 wet/dry passes but I was still getting foam. I took 2 additional passes to get a more-or-less foam-less extraction tank.
So 5 passes when using professional equipment could have done the same in 1-2 passes. Keep in mind a professional will saturate the carpet with a lot more water in fewer passes because he has a gas power engined running in a van outside that can extract all that water. In that regard I knew this equipment could not measure up because experience has set reasonable expectations.
However, I wanted to know how clean the carpet got and how dry it was left?
The Answer:
Clean and dry.
The carpet was as dry (or more!) after 5 passes with the bissell then it would be after 1-2 passes with a pro tool (carpet wand/rotovac). With a ceiling fan running it was dry in 12-24 hours which is on par with pro equipment.

Okay Okay, but how clean was the carpet???::
Spotless.
Before cleaning I would say the carpet was a 3-4 on a scale of 1-10 (10 being very clean). Most carpets we did professionally (rated on the same scale) were in the 2-6 range.
The carpet was (by my estimates) 3-4 years old and never cleaned professionally. There were a number of latex paint stains that required spot treatment with a latex paint remover. The whole carpet had a black dingy coat to it either from smoke, paint, or a combination of dirt+grease. There were a couple of pet stains that came out completely without any additional attention.
After 3 passes all of that was gone.

SUMMARY:
Although more time is spent using the bissell, the work is far easier. Keep in mind pro's have to drag hoses in and out of houses, up stairs and all around. Also, professional tools are usually either back breaking to use or very heavy compared to this plastic bissell.

CAVEAT(S):
The water will not get nearly hot enough to pull some stains. However, water that is too hot can damage some carpets.
Because the extraction is limited some stains will just not move. This isn't really the bissell's fault though. When some stains (especially red stuff like wine) are allowed to soak into the carpet all the way to the pad, using cleaning equipment can make them more visible by pulling more of the stain up from the pad with the extraction equipment. Even with professional extraction this can be a losing battle in some cases; armed with the bissell think sling shot versus goliath but you don't have any projectiles! IE, if it gets worse with a few passes probably better to replace that area of carpet or just live with it.
I purchased 3 professional cleaning products (1 gallon of each) that combined cost over 100$ and they couldn't be purchase in smaller quantities. The good news is I used way to much and that was 1/10 of a liter of each for a 150 sqft room.
I'm also not sure how durable the bissell will be, but 1 cleaning with it is cheaper then 1 pro cleaning.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
If you have a large carpeted area (500sqft+) I'd say definitely get a pro.

(Sorry, I have not yet used the hand tool to review it.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Scott D, December 19, 2011
We got this carpet cleaner because we have an autistic child and she can get a little bit messy. I wish we had done more research before buying because now I realize just how bad the design of this cleaner is. Instead of having two separate tanks for the clean and dirty water the Bissell has a bladder system in which the clean water is poured inside the bladder and the dirty water is stored in the tank around the bladder.

If germs bother you then your not going to pleased with the disposal process of this unit. It's a pretty disgusting process of pouring out the nasty smelly water that sits around the bladder that the clean water goes in. The bladder design also makes it difficult to clean the tank out when finished. We used the hand tool a lot and it worked pretty well but now the water isn't spraying out and I have to turn the unit off for a few minutes to get it working again.

Finally I just recently noticed that the bristles on the floor cleaner are no longer spinning. We paid over $200 for our machine and for that much money I would have thought it would hold up better than it has. After reading many of these reviews I think I will be looking at another brand in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Felix rates it two paws up!, December 7, 2009
Never pay retail (PUYALLUP, WA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I figured since Felix- my elderly, male, long-haired cat was so integral in the testing of this product he should get some mention in the review. He certainly has provided plenty on which to put the Bissell 66Q4 through its paces. While he finds it to be pretty loud and scary while running, it is does a fine job of giving him a fresh-smelling "clean slate" on which to wreak his havoc :)

Seriously, this is my third Bissell so I have some experience with the evolution of their product. The newer models have a much better designed tank & nozzel system. Since the main suction piece is built on to the tank rather than part of the machine like it used to be, it is easy to rinse out any stuck clumps of CAT HAIR or carpet fuzz. This model brings back the spinning flow gauge (indicates if soap or water has run out) that was dropped from last year's model. The best feature of this one is the "clean shot" which lets you pre-treat stains without having to run around with a squirt bottle. I found this to be quite effective on the many hairball hack sites.

My only complaints are 1. You have to almost stretch the hose to get it to wrap on its rack and be able to snap the tool end into the holder. Another 6-8" of length would allow it to store better. 2. All Bissells seem to produce a dribble of water drops out behind them. Of course you're going to work backwards out of a room but I find I usually have some spatter to clean up behind wherever I stop the machine.

If you have kids or pets, owning your own carpet cleaner is a must. The Bissell 66Q4 Proheat Cleaner is an excellent choice.

***update*** though I clean this thoroughly after each use, I have noticed substantial reduction in suction/water extraction from when it was new. I also get more and more drops of what appears to be dirty water being ejected from the area behind the suction nozzle. --sad--

5.0 out of 5 stars Great home machine, February 15, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This cleaner replaced a Hoover Steam Vac (my 3rd) that had lost suction. First impressions:

It was easy to put together. I didn't need the instructions, but I did need a long Phillips screwdriver. My short-bit rechargeable was too short for some of the 4 screws.

There was good, secure storage for the various attachments, plus a bag for holding them. I don't know what I am supposed to put in the bag, but I suppose it is useful for those that don't want to push around the machine with all of the attachments. Although I never use them, I like to have them on the machine. The bag has an easily removable Bissell tag and once removed it is a nice, but not terribly high quality, mesh bag that will work well for the beach.

I like that there is a heater to increase the water temperature as hot water is supposed to help in cleaning the average carpet, but I also like that it can be shut off for fragile items. The heater will increase your water temperature by 25F degrees, with a max temperature of 190F.

I was surprised that there is a separate container for the cleaning solution. You add the water to one area, soap to another, then set the mix to the dirt level you are dealing with. I like that you don't waste mixed solution or need to keep going over an area until you have used up what you have mixed. This machine came with a 16 oz. bottle of Bissell Multi Allergen cleaner (no pet cleaner, but I did get the lovely mesh beach bag!) The directions specify 5 oz. per gallon of hot water, which is the same as my bottle of Resolve cleaner.

I liked the separate shot of cleaning fluid that comes out the side on request. Great for hitting the spots of unknown origin.

There is also a setting for rinse, which does not add the soap from the separate section. Obviously this would not work if you pre-mixed the soap and water, but it is a feature I really like as I don't like soap residue on my carpets.

The tanks for clean and dirty water are one unit. They don't seem to hold as much as my old Hoover, but I also don't have to worry about the dirty water slopping around when emptying it. I noticed the clean water tank had a few suds in it when I was done, so I think there is a little cross-contamination. The water tank is actually a bladder and it was impossible to empty completely when I was done cleaning.

This did not come with a hard floor attachment, but says one is available from Bissell. My Hoover one never picked up much of the water, so I doubt if I will bother with this Bissell (my Hoover attachment does not fit).

It is easier to move around than the Hoover, partially because it is a little smaller in size and part because there is a habdle on the front that can be used when you want to lift the machine over something (like a rug you don't want to clean).

I appreciated the little spinninbg wheel that told me when I ran out of water or soap. It also clued me in when I put the water unit on incorrectly and so had no suction.

As far as cleaning, which is the big thing, it works about as well as my Hoover did before it started to lose suction. They may not be quite as good as a professional cleaning, but with multiple pets and lots of dirty feet, I don't go without having a carpet cleaner on hand. I think this is a great home machine and I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pay attention to maintenance, October 14, 2012
ham2 (Phoenix, AZ) - See all my reviews
We have the 9300 version, which is similar but sold by Costco. Nice machine, no complaints and good value. However, remember that this thing interacts with and disgests all sorts of things in your carpet. Needs thorough cleaning after EVERY use. I did that religiously, but today found that it no longer sprayed water and solution in the floor area. However, it did work when tested through the hand held tools. I checked out pumps, triggers - you name it - nothing. Finally found a tip online to take off and clean the spray heads, which are located under the water tank. Did the trick. Bissell now suggests that users run hot water through the entire system after using - cleans out the buildup from the cleaning solution. This is not listed as a maintenance item in the manual I have, nor is it listed in the trouble shooting section. However, checking the web, many are having the same problem. The solution is easy. Be informed and don't skip on any maintenance.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME MACHINE!!! Use your OWN cleaner!!, July 5, 2012
LOVE this machine - it really does the job!! It does come with a small bottle of cleaner that lasted me ONE bedroom. I make alot of my cleaners and detergents already and this machine just took over my job of sitting on the floor on my knees cleaning up spills and stains. I have 2 kids under 5, a long hair dog and a cat, so we have messes :-)
Instead of the cleaner, add straight AMONIA or WHITE VINEGAR and it does a MUCH BETTER job!! Any smell goes away once the carpets dry.
Machine is EASY to push and pull and you can just let it sit on a trouble spot for a minute and the brushes work the stain up and out.
Water is easy to dump out and refill. You can easily rince the water tank and it is clear so you can see anything in there you want to rinse out. Cleaner goes in a small tank on the back, easy to pull off, fill up and you're off and running.
I have a Dyson vacuum and I vaccumed really well before cleaning BUT this machine and the brushes worked up gobs of pet hair I didn't even know was there. Two or three times while cleaning the first bedroom I stopped and picked up the gobs of hair it had worked out of my carpet.
This machine is WELL worth the money!

1.0 out of 5 stars Works great, once, October 2, 2012
Our Bissell pro steam rug cleaner worked great, once. After that it plugged up and would not spray.

After seeing many similar complaints online I should have taken it back to the store but the warranty was over and I could not find the receipt. Following online instructions I took it apart and cleared blockages in spray heads and tubing. When I got to the heater I found the true cause of failure. The gray paint inside the heater was flaking off and plugging up the spray system.

I sure hope the Bissell people read this and stop painting the inside of the heater. Then maybe this would be a good product but not now