on February 15, 2009
After 8 months of regular (several times a month) use, I am satisfied with the cleaner. Here are my observations:

*The cleaning result is similar to the carpet cleaning companies. For me, the machine paid for itself after the second cleaning. Anything and everything that a child could possibly get on the carpet has been on our carpet...multiple times.

*Carpet Wet (based on other reviews): I have seen no difference in how wet/damp the carpet is after using the Bissell compared to the standard carpet cleaning services. I have used a cleaning service that performs a "dry" clean and the results were noticeably poorer. We had them come back because we were frustrated with the cleaning.
With the Bissell, the carpet is damp for about 2-3 hours.
-I also use a pre-cleaner (spray bottle) on stains. This prevents dumping alot of water and cleaning solution from the bissell trying to get out the very visible stains.

*Water/Cleaning Solution Level: You can see the level of the cleaning solution easy enough, but you can not easily tell how much water you have left. This irritated me at first, but after several cleanings, you have a good idea when you need to check the water.

*Cleaning the machine: I clean the Bissell after each use, and it takes about 5 minutes. Everything is easily accessible. There is a lot of fiber/lint to clean out, and sometimes you see these fiber/lint "hairballs" while you are cleaning.

*Problems: I have only had one problem with the Bissell. I turned it on and the motor sounded like it was going to blow. On the bottom of the machine is a compartment with two screws, which I removed. Inside there was a dime stuck in the blades and a penny cut in half. I always pick up and vacuum before I use the Bissell, so I don't know how they got in there. However, after removing them, I haven't had any other issues.

*Stairs: In general, cleaning the stairs is a pain, but the hose attachment works well.

I'm satisfied with the general operation of the cleaner, the results each time, and the quality of the machine. I wouldn't hesitate recommending it based on my experience.
on September 24, 2008
It was interesting to read the experiences of others with this machine. Growing up my mother had an older carpet cleaner, so my main experiences with them had been an older-style one prior to getting this one. However, I tend to be very particular about what I like and am a bit of a perfectionist, so the fact that I am happy with this machine does say something.

First let me say that Bissell has a "low repair rate" according to Consumer Reports. Bissell is much less likely than for instance Hoover to break based on their research.

The machine was very, very easy to assemble. I did it while talking on the phone and it took less than 5 minutes. I only glanced at the instructions once or twice. It was easy to put the cleaning solution and the water into it and after only a few minutes I was ready to go. It is a little heavy, but not bad at all and I was easily able to maneuver it around the house.

I didn't have any problems with it leaving water in the carpet or not sucking the water back up. It did just fine in that area. I did have the clumps of hair that it kept pulling up that I had to keep picking up. I have two dogs and even though I had just vacuumed, apparently my vacuum doesn't get all of it, because this machine certainly does! Its a bit of a pain to have to keep picking it all up, but then again, I'm grateful that it is pulling it up. Someone without as many pets would probably be less likely to have this be as much of an issue.

Once I stopped shampooing and turned it off, it did leak a little bit of water, but not as much as some others are describing. I haven't seen it leak any of the cleaning solution, but I'm going to go ahead and take the cleaning solution container out of the machine so I don't have to worry about that being a problem.

It did a great job getting up spots that I hadn't been able to get up before and got them up very quickly! I was impressed and quite thrilled. There was one spot I had tried 3 or 4 times to get up by hand with Resolve and a few other cleaners, but to no avail. It took less than 5 minutes to get it up with this thing. Just a couple of minutes over an ink spot got that up too! I am quite happy with it and think its a very good buy. I hope this helps!

UPDATE ON SEPT. 6, 2012: I have now had this product for 4 years and it is still working wonderfully. As some others have mentioned, if you leave soap in it, the soap seems to leak out or evaporate or something, but I haven't found that to be a problem. It still works just like it did when I bought it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 8, 2008
I've used the bissell 9200 for over a year now. It does a good job of cleaning. As good, if not better, than any rental machine. The carpets look great.

I now clean the carpets 2-3 times a year rather than once every two years. I can take my time and do it on my schedule rather than the time pressure of a rental machine. It is easy to take care of just those areas that "really" need it.

If one of my cats has an accident (or is trying to make a point), or if something gets spilled, it gets taken care of quickly and easily. At the time I bought it, I also was caring for an elderly, incontinent, family member. I was ever so glad I had the bissell when I needed it after human accidents.

Compared to a comercial carpet cleaner, this machine has already paid for itself, and will generate more savings over the next few years, and probably make the carpets last longer. And it is great to have freshly cleaned carpets on a regular basis.

My only complaint is the small water reservoir. It only holds one gallon, and it usually only lasts about a 9x6 area. That is a lot of refilling. Also there is no warning when the water is empty. This is more of a nuisance than a problem. I've become good at guessing when it needs more water.

Since the shampoo is put into a separate container, it doesn't matter if you either run out of water, or have water left over when you are done. There is no wasted shampoo.

After trying several brands of shampoo, all of which seem to do a good job, I've settled on Woolite Oxy Deep Steam Pet.

I would recommend getting an extended warranty. Normally I never buy an extended warranty. I consider them a waste of good money. When I was researching the proheat 2x on various web sites, a number of people commented on the "flimsy" materials around the water tank and some problems they had. After 6 months the brushes quit working and I had to take the proheat in for repair.

After one year I am very pleased with the Proheat 2x. It is a good product and investment.
on December 31, 2007
I have wanted a carpet cleaner for a long while but something always came up. I was at Big Lots the other day and they had this one for $129.00 (re-manufactured model in box w/90 warranty). I was a bit hesitant after reading some of the reviews here, but yet nothing is perfect so I got one.

Assembly was simple enough and I was off and running in no time. I've been renting this Apartment Home for almost 7 years now and have never had the rugs cleaned. Add to that I do alot of autobody and mechanical work on the side and it makes for some pretty dirty carpets.

Now I've detailed cars and used the fancy pants extractors before and knew this wasn't going to beat a machine costing $1,200.00 or more, but I wasn't expecting it to. It did pull up more dirt and gunk from my carpet than I ever could've thought was in there. I rinsed several times and still didn't get to clear water in some of the heavy traffic areas.

If you set this thing on "high/heavy traffic" it will churn through water like anything. So you'll make more trips to empty and refill. I guess so that's my only dislike is the tank size.

Several times while doing the living room and dining room I left the machine standing (off) while I answered the phone or went to do something else and when I got back I checked for leaks under the machine and there weren't any.

The cleaned then rinsed the carpets and then felt them and they were sorta damp but not soaking wet. In a few hours they were dry to the touch.

Cleanup after the job was done is fairly simple. Rinse out the both the clean water blatter and the recovery tank, I also rinsed out the solution tank as I didn't have anything left in it.

1 screw holds on the suction nozzle on the front. I removed it and snapped that plastic piece off and rinsed it out, then used a garden sprayer on the porch to rinse the bottom off (esp. behind the brushes). Put everything back together and put the thing away.

I'm not sure how long this thing will last but for the price I paid if it cleans the house through the winter it's well worth the price of admission.

I gave it only 4 stars cause everything could stand with some improvement.

Greg
on March 12, 2011
really happy i purchased this carpet cleaner. when i saw the price of the ones you can rent at the grocery store, i figured this would make more sense and pay for itself within 2 years. it does a GREAT job at cleaning carpets!
on April 23, 2011
I bought this cleaner in January of this year it has quit letting the water and cleaner out the machine is clean and free of dirt do not know why it quit would not buy again only thing that works is the suction....
on March 31, 2014
I am not just disappointed in this machine, but in every Bissell carpet cleaner I have ever owned.

I have owned several Bissell vacuums and was very happy with them, so I thought that a Bissell carpet cleaner would be a safe bet. The first machine that we owned was the Little Green Machine. My mother had one and liked it up to that point, I bought one for my brother and sister-in-law, and purchased one for myself. After only a few uses, we began having spray and suction problems. Later I learned that my mom and brother had the same issues with theirs. When we decided that we needed a new carpet cleaner, we decided to get an upright cleaner so we could regularly clean our carpets. We also have 4 pets and 3 children, so messes are not uncommon, and I liked that this machine offered the handheld for quick cleaning.

However, just after our warranty expired, we began having issues. We had only used it once to clean the carpets in a few rooms and for a few small messes. It became obvious that we were now having the same spray and suction issues that we had with our Little Green. We cleaned it thoroughly after each use and troubleshooted the issues, without much luck. It still sporadically works, but usually takes some major patience and prompting and is very hit or miss. We now can only use the handheld because the upright spray and suction only work about 1 out of 4 times. It has been extremely frustrating. I will never own another Bissell carpet cleaner again!
on April 24, 2013
My wife and I bought the Bissell ProHeat 2x five years ago when we moved into our apartment. The water tank was cracked when we got the machine, so our first attempt at using it left water all over the floor. Since the tank was cracked, we had to use towels to dry the floor... and wait for a new tank to arrive, which was covered by warranty.

After that experience, we didn't have any other problems. In fact, we loved everything about this machine. It's easy to clean, it does a great job on the carpets, and it's easy to fill.

Six months ago the sprayers quit working. I cleaned out the nozzles and they worked again. Then, it happened again the next time we used the machine. And again. And again. Now, no matter how clean the sprayers are, they simply don't spray.

I've done all the troubleshooting I can and it seems that there's a problem a normal person like me can't fix. So, we're left to decide if it's worth trying to get fixed or if we'd be better off buying a new carpet cleaner. Personally, I'm leaning toward a new carpet cleaner because I'm afraid the repair costs are going to be close to the cost of a new machine.

This carpet cleaner has done a decent job for us and it lasted five years. I can't really give it a terrible rating, but these past six months have slightly lowered my opinion of the Bissell ProHeat 2x.
on February 18, 2009
I purchased this product 2 years ago and have regretted that purchase from the beginning. I had to return the original product because it did not work out of the box. I should have taken that as a sign of times to come and not bothered with a replacement. It has always taken 30-60 minutes of "tinkering" with the seal to get this machine to work. Once it is running, it works very well but it's hardly worth the initial frustration. I've wanted to throw it away but my husband keeps lobbying for me to make it work for just a little longer before we spend money on a new one. Recently, my neighbor's 7 month old crawled over to the canister lid that was sitting on the floor and she tipped it over.... and it broke. I could not believe how easily the plastic cracked/broke apart. I ordered a replacement part and it arrived broken - in a box that did not indicate any abuse. I called the company and they shipped another part free of charge... it arrived broken - in a box that did not indicate any abuse. I am now waiting for the company to ship yet another part but I'll be surprised if it arrives intact. Even if it does arrive intact, it is clearly so fragile that it's bound to break again anyway. I would HIGHLY discourage anyone from wasting money on this machine.
on July 27, 2009
Bissell 9200 ProHeat 2X Upright Deep Carpet Cleaner
I have used Hoover's, Kenmore's, and of course the Rug Drs you rent from grocery stores. This is the best carpet cleaner I have ever used. I cleaned 25 year old carpet in a double-wide rental unit. It was matted and filthy to the point you couldn't recognize the original color. I expected some of the dirt to come out, but I didn't expect the results I got! That carpet looked almost new in places. The bad traffic areas came clean and you could actually see the sculpturing and color tones. The last time we cleaned this carpet was two years ago and we used the Rug Dr. The results were OK and livable. Any machine that cleaned carpet in that bad of condition and finished with impressive results is worth writing a review for. I even have a bad back and limited mobility. I had no problems pushing and pulling the machine. It did the work for me. I even cleaned the blackened upholstery on the sofa and chair. I would definitely recommend this machine. I would have liked the cleaning solution tank to be larger to cut down on the number of necessary refills. But that didn't hurt performance.