BISSELL SpotLifter 2X Portable Deep Carpet Cleaner, 1719
Color Name: AmethystChange
Price:$49.44 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon February 17, 2008
Color Name: AmethystVerified Purchase
I bought the Bissell SpotLifter 2X to replace an older Bissell model that finally wore out after 5 years. We have 3 indoor cats that frequently soil our rugs and carpeting, so a quick and easy carpet cleaner is a must. The old version worked well, but this model works even better.

The suction is much improved, and this model cleans our rugs and carpet much better than its previous version. Battery life is excellent -- we have used this cleaner several times over the past few weeks and still have yet to recharge the battery (the instructions recommend recharging only after the battery runs down to maximize battery life). The cleaning solution is readily available at places like Target and inexpensive. It is easy to empty the collection chamber after cleaning.

If you want a simple, affordable, rechargeable, cordless spot carpet cleaner, this is the one to buy. If the SpotLifter 2X lasts even half as long as the one it replaces it will have been a very good investment. I would not hesitate to buy it again.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 3, 2006
Color Name: Amethyst
First off, I bought this at Target for $40 before I read these reviews. So I am going to comment on the previous reviews.

1. This is not a whole room cleaner like Hoover Steamvac, so don't expect the same thing (but I will make comparisons).

2. Water does spit out of the motor vents WHEN the dirty water container is full (which is less than an inch in this thing). Remember this is for spots!

3. No, there isn't alot of water that comes up from the carpet because there's not alot of soap being sprayed out of the sprayer. And most of it is in bubble form.

4. Yes, the dirty water container does need to be pulled off (and on) at an angle. I have a dustbuster, so I'm used to the "angle" thing.

5. Don't expect suction like a Hoover Steamvac (which is plugged into the wall) from this machine (which is battery operated).

6. I haven't had any problems with the rubber seals on my machine.

7. Sometimes this thing may not pull up ALL the spots. How many products have we all tried to get the most stubborn stain out? My husband and I found $40 is worth trying to get the stains out. And if that doesn't do it, there's always elbow-grease. :)
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2006
Okay, I went to the store to buy another brands spot scrubber...but they had none in stock and this was my option and I was just too rushed to go to another store. I got home and looked this one up to see what others had said before I even opened the box...because at this point I was disappointed in myself for not getting the one that I had researched and had wanted. There were two reviews here, one good and one bad. So I figured I should write a review also. This little thing is great! Its so small and light and NO CORD...to those who are looking for a carpet cleaner...this is not it, its a spot cleaner...get something large...but be warned...it is in your best interest to empty the water from ANY carpet cleaner after using it..large, small, van sized...carpet cleaner waste water gets more rancid than a port-a-potty on the 4th of July in the south...so the changing the water complaint...i just dont get...and any cleaner must be emptied and refilled often...both the waste water and clean water holders came off and back on easily. just read the directions. my only complaint is that the brush itself does not move or go in circles, its just still. But I used it today on my steps after charging it like the directions said...and it worked great. I have a big carpet cleaner...i hate pulling it out for little things and frankly its heavy and an pain to lug up the steps...i have very little carpet left in my house...just the steps, a bedroom and 2 walk in closets...this thing fits my needs perfectly. Its not like your purchasing a 400$ machine...its 40$...and it works great.
on July 25, 2006
Color Name: AmethystVerified Purchase
This one replaced our original spot lifter bought in 2002. The old model was a little smaller and had a little less suction. The new one now is bigger, heavier and has more suction, but it is not better.

First, the unit spits sucked up fluid from the motor air vents apparently sucking cleaning solution through the liquid trap in the canister and into the engine. This does not damage anything, but if you clean up house pet messes, you don't want some of that stuff come shooting out of the air vents, right?

Further, the canister is difficult to attach and you have to get it angled just right to snap into position. Oterhwise it will not go in.

It surprises me that Bissel has gone backwards in functionality of this great tool. The original unit we had was great, functioned great and none of the problems this new unit has. They are also clearly engineering or design flaws that were not present in the older model.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 30, 2007
Color Name: AmethystVerified Purchase
I was leary of buying anything portable that only ran for a few minutes at a time. I had multiple stains in my auto upholstery and figured I would need to make two jobs over two days to get the seats clean. However the Bissell made short work of the stains! It is very easy to manuever and fill. It lifted and cleaned the stains immediately. The Little Green cleaner solution works very efficiently in the Spotlifter. I wish I had bought one of these years ago. It also cleans up a pet stains very well. The Bissell Pet Stain and Odor Remover is the best solution on the market. I would definitely recommend this machine for small jobs and stains. I totally cleaned 4 car seats in less than 15 minutes. I love it!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 1, 2005
Color Name: Amethyst
This spotlifter is a great product! It worked so well at removing stains in my car and on my stairs! It was not only easy to use buy required no assembly and I didn't even have to read the directions! This is a great product to have around the house becuase spills happen all the time at my house with kids and pets! I am really glad I bought this product and would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of buying one!
on May 7, 2007
Color Name: AmethystVerified Purchase
Some of the reviews of this product were not so great, but I can help but wonder if the people who wrote them were trying to shampoo their entire house. I got a new puppy and we all know what happens. This machine was to replace the old one. The hard plastic broke. The machine still worked fine otherwise. This one was even better and more powerful. It has not run out of juice once when I have been using it. (It stays plugged in between uses.) Great for small clean ups!
on March 5, 2006
Verified Purchase
... he or she should not be left alone with any home appliances!!

But anyway, we had one of these little Bissels now four almost four years and it has been a savior for the carpet in two homes. Now the battery is finally to the point where it won't hold charge and the tank/collector started leaking. I am galdly buying a new one today because if used as intended for small spots, it works great! Important is to lift off any fluid that's on the carpet first, then thoroughly (!) soak the spot with the cleaning fluid and suck it in the machine. DO this twice, for which there is enough fluid in the tank, and your spot will be gone. I love this little machine!! Excellent with kids and pets.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 4, 2007
Color Name: AmethystVerified Purchase
This little cleaner is super if you have a new puppy you are trying to housebreak. The bad things about it are as follows: In order to get the dirty water tank off you have to have a case knife to pry the tank as you push the button. The dirty water tank is a trick....if you are not careful the dirty water will pour out of the tank where you dont think about it coming out...it will pour out and not from the place you are supposed to empty it....so you better be careful when you dump it. Otherwise it is very handy to clean up pee messes, you can suck up the pee and spray the cleaner and suck it up for a cleanup. It is very compact and very handy even with its faults. I would buy again.
on March 16, 2012
Color Name: AmethystVerified Purchase
Bought it because I have an 8 week old puppy, and it's been worth its weight in gold.

The water it pulls up is disgusting and brown, and these carpets are so ancient and dirt-trapping (not to mention they've had a prior dog that soiled inside regularly,) it's taking multiple passes to come clean. But unless you have ancient carpet in a leased house, it does the charm perfectly (we have new carpet in the rooms, and this thing finishes the job in one or two passes tops)

Suction is great, the floor is left with a dampness on par with a real floor cleaner, and its size is compact enough to fill the job described very well. It has murdered old feces stains over a year old from the previous tenant's dog, and the only complaint I have about this is that it leaves spots that were filthy looking cleaner than the rest of the carpet! I'm going to have to eventually do my entire house with this little bugger.

I do somewhat wish it was corded, however, because 7 minutes of time is just not really worth it for a 12 hour charge. I'd prefer to have a little more time to make multiple passes and ensure a good cleaning.

The only cons are it doesn't hold much cleaning fluid at all, and the resevoir is also small. But if all you're doing is making two or three passes over a single spot, it's perfectly adequate.

As for removing the tank, it's quite easy. The button is initially hard to press, but I do like that feeling of "it won't come loose anytime soon." Also, putting it back in is a snap. I don't know how anyone can complain about this. Sure, it doesn't have runway lights and a little man flagging your approach, but just set the bottom lip inside and click it in. It's not rocket science.

Anyone who got it spitting fluid out of the motor fans was grossly overfilling it. The tank has a FILL LINE, and it's a bit bigger than the fluid resevoir (allowing you to pre-treat with fluid outside of the built-in method.) So sure, if you try to refill the storage tank without emptying the dirty water tank, you'll get water spit out. Boo-hoo for people who use appliances improperly.

I'm knocking off a star because I just feel like it would do an even better job if it had the option of a cord, or corded model, as well as cordless. All the other corded models are twice as expensive, too. If it was corded, it could possible integrate a brush, as well. As it stands, the brush has to be removed and used by hand, but it's very easily popped in and off, and stays secure. And somehow it just feels like it could do better on the battery life.

A few usage tips: it does come with fluid, so you aren't REQUIRED to buy some (I bought some pet specific bissel concentrate that works amazingly well) and make sure you pre-treat the area (It says to pre-treat by turning it on and using the spray button, but I find this to be too big a risk on the battery life. I just used the suggested ratios of the machine's cleaning fluid and water in a spray bottle and simply use that first) and give it a very light scrub with the brush to knock soil loose. Then make sure you press the machine into the spot very firmly as you move it across the carpet, if you want the best suction (remember, it doesn't have the bulk of a large room cleaner already, it needs some help from you) I'd also suggest against storing fluid in it. You'll get much better results filling it when you need it with hot water and concentrate. Cold water cleaning is just not as effective.

But overall, If you have kids, or light carpet that stains easily, or pets (even older pets track mud in once in a while) then this little machine makes mincemeat of small jobs that would otherwise take a long time to deal with, without breaking your back.

All in all, if you're on a budget (like me) then this little guy performs valiantly and will save you hours. But if you do have the disposable income, I'd suggest one of the $100-$150 corded spot cleaners, because they will do the job in a little more refined manner. This machine is worth every penny they ask for it, but it is missing just a few small points of refinement that would make it an undisputed champion among household cleaning tools.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations