4.0 out of 5 stars I don't eat on my floors.
Published on April 7, 2011 by kristelbrewis

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad -- more fun than a mop
Published on October 9, 2009 by K. Fortier

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't eat on my floors., April 7, 2011
This review is from: BISSELL Steam Mop Deluxe Hard Floor Cleaner, 31N1 (Kitchen)
I feel the need to write this review because of all the crazy reviews I read while trying to decide if I wanted a steam mop, and which kind. I always seek reviews in a variety of places when I'm considering a new purchase, and this is the ONLY product I have ever been so confused about. The reviews are insane! They seem mostly to be written by people with muddy feet, 6 dogs, and they mop twice a day. Those same people also seem to want to feel comfortable serving dinner directly off the floor. That is NOT me. I keep a tidy home; I have 2 little girls, no pets; I mop when necessary (I'll go 2 or 3 weeks if I can get away with it); and we typically dine at the table.

So, here is my review: The Bissell Deluxe Steam Mop works great. I love that I do not have to deal with dirty mop water and measuring chemicals. The cord seems plenty long enough, and my rooms are large and extra large. It takes a few seconds to warm up, and a few more seconds to get the steam to the mop head...which is perfectly fine with me. It gets my floor lightly wet, less than my traditional mop because I was never patient enough to ring it out thoroughly. If I come across yucky-dried-on-the-floor food, I hold the steam mop over it for a few seconds (no more than 15), run it back and forth a few times over the area, and the floor is clean. I don't hold the steam button down the entire time I clean, but off and on as necessary. The longer you hold it, the more water it uses. So, depending on the type of cleaner you are, and the type of junk on your floor, the water may need to be refilled. My steam mop came with two washable pads that are easy to put on, pull off, and throw in the washing machine. So, basically, in my opinion, the steam mop that I bought at Target (on sale for $89 and their promotion gave me a gift card of $20 with the purchase) a few weeks ago is MUCH better than a traditional mop.

Other things to note:
-Get one with a removable water tank so that it's easy to fill.
-I'm sure all of the Steam Mops work just fine. Unless you expect a miracle, of course. It's just a mop. It's still work. Just find one that suits your tastes and price range.
-My one year old is allergic to milk and peanuts, and that is why I looked into a steam mop. She's also the child guilty of causing carrots, peas, and greenbeans to dry like concrete on the tile floor.
-I would have given the Bissell Deluxe Steam Mop 5 Stars IF it was a robot and all I had to do was push a button. But the mopping robots are too expensive and have horrible reviews. Again, this steam mop works great.
-My home has hardwood floors and ceramic tile floors.
-I like that the steam mop head turns and bends to fit under and around ANYTHING. Impressive.
-I probably could eat off my floors in the few seconds after steam mopping. I still wouldn't. And I don't require that from my mop.

Just a note: I have a iRobot Roomba vacuuming robot. I can't imagine life without it. It does require emptying the bin and cleaning off the rollers after almost every use, but it works AMAZING and saves a ton of time and effort with cleaning. I run it several times a week.

Update 7/31/2014: Mop finally died a few months ago. The light just finally went out. So, I promptly ordered the exact replacement from Amazon and it's worked beautifully too. I have added 1 more little girl, a dog, a Nana, and a college student living with me now and we all love the ease of this steam mop. Also, we've gotten rid of carpet and replaced with hardwoods. I dont use chemicals on hardwoods, but I do use the steam mop with only a quick boost of steam every now and then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Wait, November 11, 2009
After hearing wonderful things about steam mops from my friends, I starting doing research on them. I was anxious to retire my Swiffer which, as a mop, was better than nothing, but it left my dark hardwood floors streaky and I felt like I was just pushing the dirt around on the ceramic tile in my kitchen. I borrowed my neighbor's Shark and after using it one time knew that I wanted a different mop. I was excited to see this new model from Bissell as I had narrowed it down to a Bissell or the Eureka Enviro-Steam. [...] so I decided on the Bissell. The Bissell 31N1 was easy to put together, and includes a hanger so that you can hang your steam mop for storage. I used distilled water since it is supposed to prolong the life of the filter it comes with. The pads are substantial and easy to attach and stay in place while mopping. The unit took a little while to warm up but has an indicator light to tell you when it is ready. In use I saw hot steam pouring out which was great. The floors stayed wet for a while after use, but just like what happens when you mop a floor. I think I was trigger happy so I probably won't hit the steam button as much next time and try to spread the steam around a little bit better. I did dry the hardwoods after I used it as a precaution and that was fine. I was disappointed to see my hardwood floors were still streaking but a neighbor told me that once all of the other floor cleaners come off the floor (after I continue to use my steam mop), the streaks will go away. I hope so. A cleaning person I used sprayed furniture polish on the hardwoods (argh!) so it might be a while. I still think the floors are wonderfully clean and the mop is easy to swivel around and use with the cord being a nice length. I didn't have water leak on the floor like the other reviewer but perhaps that is because I removed the water tank immediately after use - not sure. I think you would be happy with this mop. I clean up after a 2 and 4 year old so life is good now.

5.0 out of 5 stars CHEAP AND WORKS, July 29, 2010
Well I bought one of these from ABCVACUUM in Austin Tx yesterday for 89.95. I got it today.

I couldn't wait to try it out. Anything that looks this good on TV usually isn't.

First some facts. I'm a guy and I'm 65 and a widower. It's me and the dogs and the linoleum floor in my kitchen is about 50+ years old and the old spoonge wet mop just wasn't cuttin it.

Well, I put this thing together and plugged it in. It doesn't have an on/off switch. You wait for the red light to come on which doesn't take long and then pull the trigger and start mopping.

The first thing I noticed was it was hard to push on the old floor, but since I lift weights I decided this was just a new form of exercise that I could get something out of besides muscle tone. The next thing I noticed was the dirt came off the floor. It didn't take me very long and the kitchen was done and next time it should be even quicker since it's much cleaner now.

If you are slight and weak you're not gonna like this on the kind of floor that I have because it's hard to push around. It may work easier on a wood floor.

Second they give you enough liquid for two uses and then you need to get your own. I have really hard water so I'm skipping the tap water and going with distilled water from the start otherwise I think I would be buying a lot of filtration systems.

I've got a closet full of Dust Devils and other stuff that doesn't work but this thing works good. Now if it will just last.

This review is for the Model 31N1 series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad -- more fun than a mop, October 9, 2009
K. Fortier (Abingdon, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I just purchased the Bissell Steam Mop Deluxe today and couldn't wait to get home to try it out. I vacuumed first, then put it together (pretty easy!). I decided to try out the eucalyptus distilled water that came with it. I was surprised to see that this is the water you use INSTEAD of tap water -- not as an additive. It has a nice but very faint smell, and I really wouldn't waste money buying more when this is gone.

The unit took several minutes to get the water/steam to the mop head for the first time. I think there is only one tiny hole on the bottom of the head where the steam comes out, but after a few pulls of the trigger on the handle, the mop pad gets plenty wet. In fact, I would say that you should only pull the steam trigger when you want more wetness or when you have a particularly tough spot to get off the floor. If you keep the trigger pulled continually for steam, your floors are going to get quite wet.

My floors did get pretty wet anyway -- I will try calling for less steam next time and see if the floors will dry faster that way. I didn't see any streaking while the floors were wet, but after they dried there was a bit. No more than with a mop though. I liked the fact that I knew my floors didn't have any cleaner residue after they were dry but they really didn't feel any different than when I use my old mop.

The thing I like least about this steam mop is that after you're done and you take off the mop pad (nice pads, by the way), you need to stand the mop on a folded towel or something because water continues to slowly leak out of the mop head. You surely don't want to leave the mop standing even for a few minutes on any kind of wood floor or you will have water stains.

When I read back on this review, it sounds like I'm not crazy about this mop. In reality, I'm not sure. I think there is probably a little bit of a learning curve here, and I believe that after I have used it a few more times I will learn how not to get the floor so wet and how to store it quickly without leaving a puddle. As for the specifics of the mop, the cord was plenty long enough for me -- 20 ft. The head swivels but it's not like driving a race car, if you know what I mean. It's not small and maneuverable enough to get all the way behind my toilet. Two mop head pads are included and they are very nice and machine washable. The unit feels sturdy enough to last a long time. With this deluxe unit there is also a "glider" type tray that you can put over the mop pad and "refresh" your carpets or rugs. I don't know how this refreshes anything. It is going to make your rug damp and unless your carpets are already really clean, it seems to me that it will just make it smell. I haven't used this attachment though, so maybe I'm wrong.

I have only used this on ceramic tile floors -- not wood or Pergo type floors. I think it would be too wet for my wood floors, which just have a satin finish.

In conclusion, I don't know if this steam mop it cleans any better than a regular mop, but it's more fun and maybe faster. No emptying buckets of mop water, which is nice! It's a lot to pay for what is essentially not much more than just a wet mop (although the water that makes it wet is hot!), but maybe I'll mop more which will help make it worth the price.

UPDATE: It is now August 2012, and I'm still using my Bissell steam mop. I may not use it as much as some people since I only have my husband and myself at home to dirty things up, but it still works fine. I have wondered the last couple times I mopped if I was getting less steam than I used to. I think so, but it is enough to get the job done, although I still don't think it gets your floors any cleaner than a regular mop. The mop head covers have held up well, and I just throw them in the wash occasionally or else rinse them out by hand just before I use the mop. I think it works best if you dampen the mop head covers first before using them anyway. I never notice water leaking from the mop head when I'm finished anymore. I just remove the cover and stand it up against a wall (on tiled floor) when I'm done until it is fully cool. I also make sure I empty the water reservoir after each use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deluxe vs. Standard: Worth the Cost? Plus My In-Depth Review!, July 16, 2010
So first off, I know you're probably wondering: What's the difference between this "Deluxe" model vs. the "Standard" model (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RPVHZU?tag=a52-20&ie=UTF8), other than color?

===== Deluxe vs. Standard =====

I love the deluxe package because you get some fancy extras that you don't get with the standard model, including: two luxurious reusable/washable "deluxe" pads (which are thicker and less susceptible to wear), the wall hanger, the carpet glider, and some scented water.

My favorite of the two is the carpet glide, which serves as a "carpet refresher" by killing germs that may be hiding in your carpet. The steam may also weigh down any loose dander/hair assuming you hadn't vaccuumed prior to your carpet-refreshing session.

The bottle of eucalyptus-mint fragrance water was also nice. It smells decent, and more importantly, it's approved for use with the steam mop, as it is purified. The water was good for 2 uses. After you use it up, you'll definitely want to use purified water if you choose not to buy any more of Bissel's special water. It makes the water filter last a lot longer, and the instructions state to use only distilled water (which is absolutely pure water).

But understandably, color is a common factor in purchasing one unit over another, and between the two models there appears to be no physical difference beyond color. My only question for Bissell: is it blue or is it gray? Either way, it's an odd color. But I'm not too picky as long as it works great.

===== Effectiveness =====

And as far as function is concerned, indeed it is great. It got out the following stubborn stuff:
* dried tar from over 2 years ago
* dried cat vomit
* sticky popsicle drips
* shoe scuff marks
* pumpkin puree
* everyday stains/spills

I first wanted to get this after seeing it on TV. I had been using a Swiffer Wet Jet, but my floors didn't get clean, just sticky from product build-up. I wanted to be able to clean with just a little bit of water.

===== The Unit Itself =====

Assembling the unit is as easy as two screws. The cord is plenty long, but a bit stiff because it is a grounded plug. The trigger to create steam can be awkward: it can get tiring to be pulling the trigger while moving the mop forward and back. I like to actively steam the whole floor, so I'd prefer a switch instead of a trigger. The steam head is also a bit awkward because of the thickness of it (can't get under the kitchen vent cover), and it's rounded corners can't get into the corners of the room. Bissell makes a big point of their water filter on the ads, but the directions clearly state to use distilled water in the unit.

===== Using the Mop =====

It is ready to use in seconds (after the lengthier first use):
* Plug in the unit
* Fill up the water canister and attach
* Pull the trigger for steam
* Wait 1-2 seconds for it to get to the mop pad
* Voila, you are cleaning with steam!

It's just that easy. I noticed some streaking the first 3 or so times it was used, because the steam was breaking up the product build-up. After that, my floors just got clean.

===== Floors Used On =====

I've used it on four types of floors:
* Seamless linoleum
* Wood-look linoleum planking
* Peel-and-stick vinyl tiles
* Carpet, for occasional refreshing

You may know that linoleum planking and vinyl tiles do not recommend using a mop and bucket because the excess water will cause the seams to lose adhesion, etc. With the steam mop, you can clean your whole floor with just 2-4 cups of water instead of a whole bucket. It also dries in minutes. Your floors will still get wet as this is not a dry steam, but it is still so much less water than a mop and bucket.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, November 29, 2009
1LuckyGurl (Virginia Beach VA) - See all my reviews
Just recently purchased a Bissell 3 in 1 steam mop after much research. I had a Shark steam mop for the last couple of years which I loved but wanted something I didn't have to pump for steam and a sturdier build. Out of the box the Bissell is a beauty and everything I wanted in a steam mop. Very sturdy and well built. The cord seemed a bit heavier than it needed to be for a 1500 watt, same as my Shark. The cord is also two feet shorter than the Shark's 20' cord. I couldn't wait to start! Then disappointment seeped in. The little bit of steam coming from the Bissell didn't seem like it could possibly clean my floors but I have to say it maneuvered nicely and fit under all the cabinets. I started on the hard linoleum floors and then made my way downstairs to the tile floors.
Just like so many of the reviews I had read I noticed the floors were way to wet but went in choosing to ignore what many reviews had complained about. I was willing to wait for floors to dry.
As my floors were drying the streaking and spotting started to appear. Not to noticeable on the linoleum floors but as the tiled floors dried they looked dirtier than before I had mopped them and they didn't feel clean like when I used my Shark. Then the ultimate disappointment. I took the pad off the mop and even though it was soaking wet it wasn't very dirty. As a rule when I'm done mopping the pad is quite dark. Dismayed I got out my Shark and went over the floors again. I noticed that the steam was so much more than the Bissell which in turn left minimal water on the floor and the drying time was 5-7 minutes compared to the 20 plus with the Bissell. Now for the last but most important test. I took the pad off the Shark and yes my floors really had been
dirty. It was all there on the bottom of the Shark pad. I realized then that the Bissell just doesn't put out the steam needed to clean my floors and even though I loved the looks of the Bissell I really need a mop that will clean. I would give the Bissell three stars but only for the build of the mop. If I graded the Bissell on the way it worked there would be no stars because it just doesn't work which in my opinion is rather unfortunate.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it but it could be better, December 19, 2009
This is the second Bissell Steam Mop that I've owned. I did a lot of research so I know the pros and cons of pretty much everything that's out there. I've had 30+ years of cleaning hardwood floors and nothing beats cleaning floors the old fashioned way - with elbow grease and a wring mop. But, I don't like using a wring mop. It's a hassle and now that I've got small kids, I want clean and I want convenience. A steam mop gives me that and it doesn't take up any more space than a regular mop.

The key to getting clean, streak free floors is to change the pad frequently (you'll need to buy extra pads if you have a lot of floor like I do) and lay off the steam button. If you keep the button depressed too much it'll just saturate the pad and you'll just be moving water around. You also need to vacuum the floors before you mop (we do this even when we use a wring mop). The steam mop pad will pick up dust but it won't pick up the gritty stuff. Also, if it's been a while since your floors have been steam cleaned or you used other products on the floors, it will take a while before the residue comes off. We vacuum and steam mop pretty regularly and are very happy with the results. I can always tell when the floors have been mopped. They really feel and look good.

Some of the things I think could be improved are the pads. Next time I need to buy new pads, I plan on just buying some microfiber pads and attaching them to the mop with velcro. It'll be cheaper and I think the results will be just as good. The pads are just okay and for $100 we deserve something better or more of them. (BTW when you wash them, DON'T put any fabric softener or dryer sheets in with them, it'll diminish the absorbancy until you wash it out of the pad). I would like to see an ON/OFF button rather than just plugging it and it's on. A retractable handle would also be nice. It's not reasonable to expect the mop to fit someone who's 6'0" as well as it does someone who's 5'0".

One last tip. In cold weather, we use tap water in the resevoir. In warmer weather, we use the water from the de-humidifier. It is, after all, pretty much the same as distilled water.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bissell Deluxe: where have you been all my life??, August 9, 2010
I'm in love! After a lengthy facebook discussion amongst friends and family I decided to make the switch to a steam mop. I was trying to decide between this and a Shark pocket steam mop. I chose this one because 1) i'd had a bissell carpet cleaner that lasted a long time with fairly heavy use and 2) my friends who'd had the shark said they liked it but it was flimsy and 3) because the ratings were better than average on consumer reports. I have not been disappointed in my choice.

The mop came with two mop head covers that are made from a nice microfiber type of material. Some said they received cheap polyester black and white striped covers, I didn't. But just to be on the safe side I also ordered two replacement covers. If you like to mop daily or more than twice a week, I recommend buying some extra covers. Anyway, the mop was easily assembled. All I had to do was screw in two screws to hold the whole thing together. It came with some scented mop water that I have no tried and a carpet attachment so you can run the steamer over your carpets to freshen (not clean) them up a bit. I have not tried that either, as I already own a Hoover Carpet Steamer.

The water reservoir is easily removed and filled. it is quiet small so I was a bit skeptical but you can clean quite a bit of floor on one fill-up. I used tap water. The unit recommends using distilled water to lengthen the filter life, but I didn't have any. I think the unit heats up quickly, less than 2 minutes and is very easy to use. The low profile mean I could get under my cabinets and the steam comes from holes in the mop head itself so I am actually able to get some steam under the lip of the cabinets. The unit is quiet and the steam does not come billowing out all around it. I am able to mop barefoot and near my children without fear of us being scalded. I think the unit seems pretty sturdy, it is a bit weighty, nothing major but I think heavier than the shark.

As for performance I have been more and more pleased as time has gone on. Like some of the others I did notice that after the first use my floors were duller and there was some VERY minor streaking. The streaking was mostly confined to one area. The dullness has improved with each use and I suspect that both the dullness and streaking are related to sop residue being on the floor from previously mopping. Our floors were not finished properly and I am not sure how that plays into things. They were first finished with a water based stain and then (after complaining to the builder) allegedly sealed with a poly coat. They have always felt a bit tacky. No matter how much cleaning or what I used (different soaps or vinegar) they never felt clean. But, since using the steam mop my floors have never looked or felt so clean. They are visibly cleaner and even my mom commented on how clean they felt. The mop head covers show the dirt the steam mop is picking up and it is significant. I had mopped shortly before receiving the steam mop and then as soon as I got the SM and what a major difference and what a lot of dirt the SM picked up. To check how well the SM did it's job. When I was finished mopping the floors i wet a white towel and rubbed it all over the place. It came up perfectly clean, not a speck of dirt or dust anywhere. I was sold then! The only real draw back is that the cord is not very long. I understand why, this is a small unit so not much room to store a cord. I just unplug and replug as needed. Also, there is not an on/off switch. You plug it in and it is on, unplug and it is off.

Helpful hint: If you have something stuck on that the mop doesnt get up the first time. Go over it a few times without pressing the steam button to kind of scrub it. It helped me.

So in a nutshell:

Pros:
Gets your floors really clean
Heats up quickly
mop heads are washable
NO chemicals (yay!)
Very quiet

Cons:
should use distilled water
cord is not very long

1.0 out of 5 stars I have had two now and both broke, June 23, 2010
I am on my second bissell steam mop. The first one worked for about 6-9 months and then just stopped working. No way to fix it. I would plug it in, and it wouldn't heat up. There is no reset button. so I got a second one because I did like it. The second one lasted about 4 months. the plastic container on the back that holds the water has cracked. So now it is all useless bc the water leaks out everywhere. Also, if you have small children, be careful with this mop. It is NOT sturdy at all and if you leave it unattended in a childs reach, it will topple over on top of the child, and that is what also probably causes the crack in the water container. Even if you don't have kids, be careful of it falling over!
Also, be aware that the water does NOT dry as fast as they claim. I still had to go over my floors with a towel AFTER mopping!

1.0 out of 5 stars Customer Service is HORRIBLE!!!!, January 5, 2010
I bought this product the Day after Thanksgiving and decided it would be a Christmas present to myself. I was so excited to have a steam mop and at a good price! However, I just got it out of the box and went to use it after assembling it. The water started to shoot out the side of the mop!!! Well, I called customer service and they weren't helpful at all. The first person I couldn't even understand. All I could get from them was that there was something clogging it and that I needed to take the mop apart. Well, I turned the duties over to my husband and he called another time and spoke to someone we could understand. They kept going on and on about it being clogged or the filter being dirty. We kept explaining it was a NEW product and had NEVER been used before. Well, he humored them and took the mop apart and it was completely clear. In the end, there was nothing they would do for us. They suggested they would send it in for service. We would have been stuck with the bill for shipping and that seems silly since it was a BRAND NEW MOP!!! I am not pleased with their customer service so I sure hope that you guys don't get a defective mop if you do purchase it. Wish I could say how the product actually worked!

BISSELL Steam Mop Deluxe Hard Floor Cleaner, 31N1