4.0 out of 5 stars Go for the dual brush instead
UPDATE: APRIL 2010: I uploaded some photos of my sweeper. Bissell neglects to show us how the underside of the sweeper looks.

Published on June 9, 2006 by Nothing's Perfect

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless on hardwood floors
Published on December 28, 2005 by A. Lanier

4.0 out of 5 stars Go for the dual brush instead, June 9, 2006
This review is from: BISSELL Sturdy Sweep Sweeper, 2402B (Kitchen)

I have had the sweeper for about 4-5 months. I use the sweeper for picking up bedding (Carefresh) for my guinea pig and his little poos under the futon. I also use it for little scraps that fall on the floor. It does it job and cleans on the surface but obviously will not replace a vacuum as it does not have suction.

QUALITY - 4 STARS: Sturdy except for the handle, the handle is put together by three pieces that you twist together. The brushes are made of thick nylon so they don't rip out easily.

EASE - 4 STARS: Great, since there's no electricity involved, there's no cords to deal with. It's better used for carpet. I do use it on my tile kitchen floor but sounds like it's scraping it and possibly scratching the floor. It does work on bare floors.
The twin dust pans are great because you can roll the sweeper in both directions and the dust will fall in either pan.

CLEANING - 2 STARS: It picks up hair great but gets caught in the rolling brush. There's a detachable comb to use to pick out the hair but I just use my fingers, it's much faster because I can break the hairs loose but a bit gross. I don't mind getting dirty.

EDGE-CLEANING - 0 STARS: You cannot clean the edges with this thing. You'll have to pull out the vacuum. Since the main brush is in the middle, there's a lot of slack that the brush is not picking up dust.

DURABILITY - 4 STARS: This product will probably last for at least 5 years. Maybe by then, they will have another fantastic product for me. (UPDATE: It's April 2010, and the sweeper is still holding on strong).

***PRECAUTION*** Don't be fooled for the five brush system, the four edge-cleaning brushes are worthless. The four edge-brushes do not help in cleaning corners. You should probably INVEST in the DUAL BRUSH system or a good vacuum cleaner with attachments (but not the Duster Buster, I reviewed the Dirt Devil Scorpion, very good).

OVERALL, THE SWEEPER DOES ITS JOB but I would buy this specific product again because it's cheap. I would like to try the dual brush sweeper. I believe that the dual brush sweeper will cover more area than a single brush sweeper but this theory will need to be tested.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for cleaning up in between vacuumings, January 4, 2006
This review is from: BISSELL Sturdy Sweep Sweeper, 2402B (Kitchen)
I bought this sweeper to sweep my basement carpet, which is dark in color and shows every bit of fuzz. It does a reasonable job cleaning, transforming my carpet from "Does she ever vacuum?" to "Oh, she must have vacuumed yesterday". It doesn't get all the fuzz and crumbs, but it does what I'd expect from a sweeper. It is also much lighter than my vacuum, so I'm much more likely to use it.

My three-year-old daughter enjoys using it too. She insists on sweeping her own room (I won't complain).

The main thing I've learned is that, because the handle slides together, it will not consistently support the weight of the sweeper head. This means that if you pick it up or suspend it by the top of the handle, the sweeper will probably fall off, so pick it up near the sweeper. (It stays together fine when actually sweeping.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for college students!, June 1, 2004
This review is from: BISSELL Sturdy Sweep Sweeper, 2402B (Kitchen)
This is an awesome product to have in an apartment! I am a college student and do not particularly enjoy cleaning. But with this BISSELL sweeper, you don't have to plug it in or worry about the sound at all. It's perfect because it works on both carpets and wood floors, so only one unit is needed for both surfaces! Definitely worth buying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Toddlers who are scared of the vacuum!, October 31, 2005
This review is from: BISSELL Sturdy Sweep Sweeper, 2402B (Kitchen)
My son is terrified of the vacuum so I had to purchase this. It is absolutely the best purchase I have made in some time. It picks up finger food with ease, paper in a snap, just about any mess a toddler can make it can handle; A wise purchase at our house. The Swiffer products are harmful to small children and pets, plus you have to refill them, this you do not, just dump and store.

4.0 out of 5 stars Choose your sweeper wisely, May 2, 2005
Jug Band Mama (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BISSELL Sturdy Sweep Sweeper, 2402B (Kitchen)
This sweeper is exactly what one would expect for $24. It does a fairly good job of picking up pieces of things, though isn't a choice option for things like pet hair (unless you really want a workout.) Also, it's best for smoother rug textures.

Why do I own this? My toddler is scared of the vacuum, yet scatters Cheerios liberally across the carpet. This lets me get the worst of the mess while she's awake so less gets ground in. Also, the handle comes in 4 slide-together sections. We're currently using only 2 sections so that my daughter can "help" as the mood hits. So far, so good! I give this 4 stars because, like most things, it works ~slightly~ less well than one might wish.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless on hardwood floors, December 28, 2005
This review is from: BISSELL Sturdy Sweep Sweeper, 2402B (Kitchen)
The other reviews convinced me this product was what I was looking for - quick and easy cleanups in between major vacuuming. I unpacked it as soon as I got it and tried it out on the cracker crumbs on our hardwood floor left from lunch. What it would pick up was only the smallest of crumbs, and even some of those it just brushed around on the floor. I decided to return it immediately. Problem now is getting the handle unassembled to repack.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, January 23, 2005
This review is from: BISSELL Sturdy Sweep Sweeper, 2402B (Kitchen)
I love it because it is easy and quick. My daughter asked how to plug it in. It's funny because we assume you need suction to pick up dirt and debris. The only problem I have is that the metal handle comes apart from time to time. It's weird that they didn't make a little hole and pop out button or something to keep it together. I am going to try to just glue the pieces. I have two toddlers, so there are always cheerios and messes everywhere and it's nice not to worry about plugging it in.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so sturdy - it fell apart, March 8, 2007
This review is from: BISSELL Sturdy Sweep Sweeper, 2402B (Kitchen)
This thing basically self destructed the first week. The handle pieces wouldn't stay together and when I pushed down on the handle to tighten the pieces together the base fell apart. Not worth the money! I was very disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't even use this--------, January 4, 2007
I ordered this sweeper to pick up after my granddaughters without

having to take out the vacuum.

What a mistake!

This is so poorly made. The problem is that the handle does not stay on.

When you push it the handle comes off in your hand. I tried everything to fix it with no luck.

Would not recommend this.

1.0 out of 5 stars bad purchase, July 25, 2010
This review is from: BISSELL Sturdy Sweep Sweeper, 2402B (Kitchen)
I bought that sweeper a month ago, and I can say that it was a very bad purchase. I have a wood floor and the sweeper makes a lot of noise, it is impossible to clean in the edges or corners and its head doesn't turn. I do not recomend ti buy this product, in addition the stick has three parts which separate constantly

BISSELL Sturdy Sweep Sweeper, 2402B