I needed a very compact vac to use mainly in the bathroom to clean up after haircuts. I've been using a cordless model but lacked the power to get the job done to my satisfaction. So, the hunt began for a compact corded model.

Published on April 17, 2011 by Comdet

3.0 out of 5 stars The floor attachment needs a better design
Published on February 4, 2011 by Katie Kate

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for small areas/hard floors; bagged versions also available, April 17, 2011
This review is from: BISSELL Zing Bagless Canister Vacuum, Blue (Kitchen)

I looked at several hand-held units that offered a hose attachment. But, while they would have been fine for counter top work, I would have had to crouch or kneel down to get the floor done. Stick brooms would work fine on the floor, but didn't have the attachments for counter work.

That left a canister. I have several other Bissell products that have worked well, so thought I'd give the Zing a shot. Overall, it's an excellent product considering the price. The suction power is outstanding - I'd put it on a par with my Panasonic cannister vac that cost much, much more. In fact, the suction is a little too good - it will easily suck up hair cutting attachments if you're not careful. Zero complaints in terms of power.

No complaints as well for ease of emptying the canister (simple trap door setup). Also very much appreciate the fact that all the filters (total of 3) are washable, which will greatly extend their life. It has an automatic retracting cord which is an unexpected feature at this price point. Very compact to store, and cute to boot!

The downsides are few, but should be taken into account. First of all, the build quality is not top of the line. The hose in particular is thin and does not give me confidence that it will last a long time. There is no swivel attachment for the hose connector, so it can get kinked. But, the quality is what you would expect at this price, so I won't downgrade the rating for that.

Also no downgrade for the fact that the power button is the same size and color as the cord retract button. There are icons on each, but they are black on black, so almost impossible to see. Not a big problem, but annoying. Should have been corrected during product design.

I did downgrade the rating due to the noise. It's fine when you're using the floor attachments (a very nicely designed tool that allows you to extend or retract a brush). But, put on a small attachment such as the combination crevice tool and brush, and the noise ratchets up to an almost intolerable level due to all that air being sucked through a small opening. It's tolerable if you're in an open space, but in a small room, it's a real problem. I ended up replacing the combo tool supplied with a standard brush that had a larger opening so the noise would be tolerable. A shame, since the combo tool provided is nicely designed, offering the ability to use both a brush and a crevice tool by just swiveling the connector.

The Zing also comes in two more versions, each being bagged. The bagged versions offer a couple of key benefits, such as an extendable wand, a swivel hose connector, and a bit less noise. But, it comes at the price of having to buy bags, which I hate to have to do. There are two versions - model 7100 has a 1.5 liter bag; model 22Q3 has a 2.5 liter bag. Same motor in each, with differences limited to size and the type of attachments that come standard. Curiously, model 7100 is posted only on the US Bissell website; the 22Q3 is posted only on the Canadian site. But both are available in the US. I played around with both of them, and posted a review for each should you want to look at those as options.

One last tip: although I really wanted a bagless model, I also liked the extension wand that came with the bagged version. Bissell sells the wand separately on their website, so you can buy that to replace the wands that come with the bagless model. I found out that the extension wand from Dirt Devil canisters works with the Zing, so I ended up using that (kept the wand after my Dirt Devil died a few months ago).

In conclusion, you have to keep in mind that this is a compact vac for small jobs involving mainly hard floors. It's not something that can tackle a 4,000 square foot house with wall-to-wall carpet. But, as a second vac, or a vac for a small apartment with mainly hard floors, it is a fantastic deal (noise aside).

3.0 out of 5 stars The floor attachment needs a better design, February 4, 2011
This review is from: BISSELL Zing Bagless Canister Vacuum, Blue (Kitchen)
I'll start by saying this vacuum is NOT for carpets, period. It doesn't have any kind of beater bar and doesn't glide over carpet at all. I got this to do quick post-toddler dinner clean ups. The vacuum unit itself has a good design and plenty of suction. It is lightweight and would be great to carry around using the hose itself to clean nooks and crannies, but this ability is limited to nooks and crannies since it is blatantly missing a drapery or upholstery attachment. After going across my hardwood floors it sucked up quite a bit of dirt and lint & I didn't think my floors were that dirty. My complaint is that the floor attachment needs to be redesigned, which is too bad because it's primarily why I bought this unit. The part that slides accross the floor is maybe 8 inches wide or so, but really only the middle maybe 2 inches has a hole for suction. The rest of it doesn't, well, suck. There's not even an opening for it. I'm not sure why the thing is even 8 inches wide, it could just be 2 inches or so and accomplish the same task. So, as I attacked piles of crumbs and cheerios with it, only the middle of the pile would be picked up, very frustrating. It is just as loud, if not louder than any other vacuum with a sharper noise than most.

Pros:
Price
Suction
Vacuum unit deisgn
Easy to empty
Picks up a lot
Bagless
Compact design
Lightweight
Retractable cord

Cons:
Noise
Floor attachment
Lack of suction width
Lack of attachments
Not an option for carpet
Only picks up in middle

UPDATE IN RESPONSE TO COMMENTS: While it is true that canister and stick vacs only have the center hole, the problem with this is that it only cleans at that point. I have another vac with similar design that has the same center hole and the chambers that go out to the sides. It cleans the entire width of the head. Thus the problem with this.

Note that in my review I based my review on HARDWOOD FLOOR USE. NOT carpet. I stated that so that anyone who was thinking about it would think about something different. Also, I am not comparing this to an upright. My intentions were correctly placed in my trial of this vacuum. I wanted it for quick clean up, on hardwood floors, after my toddlers ate dinner. My intention was never to compare this to an upright... I have a Kirby for those jobs.

For this reason, I stand by everything I say in my original review. The head does not work well, even compared to similar vacs.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Thing Really Sucks, December 8, 2011
This review is from: BISSELL Zing Bagless Canister Vacuum, Blue (Kitchen)
And I mean that in a good way. Everytime I turn this vacuum on, the cat goes running for its ninth life, otherwise it would get sucked in by this vacuum (being a long-haired cat doesn't help). Seriously, I am really surprised by the amount of suction it has. On smooth floors, there is so much suction I can feel the resistance in pushing the floor attachment because it wants to grip the floor. Now I know why Bissell put a vent on the handle.

Don't understand other posts here commenting on the narrow area of suction on the floor attachment - there is a channel on the bottom of the attachment that goes the full width; it even has small ports on the edges to provide suction along walls. Maybe I got a later model with a redesigned floor attachment. But I will agree with another reviewer that says this unit is better suited for hard floors than carpet due to the lack of a beater bar - but it does work OK on carpet.

Unit rolls along on the floor easily, with the two large wheels (seen in the photo) plus a small pivoting wheel underneath near the front. My previous small canister vac would tip over often when pulling it with the hose - this one doesn't.

Great value for the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lightweight vacuum, July 5, 2011
This review is from: BISSELL Zing Bagless Canister Vacuum, Blue (Kitchen)
I am a young bachelor who hates vacuuming and hates schlepping a vacuum up the spiral staircase to the third floor. This little vacuum made both of those activities relatively painless. It is extremely lightweight but still sucks well (in layman's terms) on both carpet and hardwood floors. It also doesn't take up much closet space. The only fault I can find with this vacuum is that there is no place to clip on the one alternate attachment, but it's a very minor issue. I would heartily recommend this vacuum to anyone, but especially to housework-haters like myself, college students, and elderly or petite people looking for a very lightweight, easily portable vacuum.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST VACUUM I HAVE EVER HAD!, January 4, 2012
This review is from: BISSELL Zing Bagless Canister Vacuum, Blue (Kitchen)
I absolutely love this vacuum I bought it based on all the excellent reviews I read and the price & boy am I glad I bought this Bissel Vac it was worth every penny. I have both carpet and hard floor & this little light weight machine sure does the trick! it sucks in a very powerful way my carpet looks new,clean and fluffy. It even got rid of all the cat hair I didn't get to. If you're looking for a light weight bagless vacuum that requires little storage space that gets the job done then THIS IS THE VACUUM FOR YOU!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Stick Vacs, July 30, 2011
This review is from: BISSELL Zing Bagless Canister Vacuum, Blue (Kitchen)
Love the Zing's suction and ease of emptying debris. It's lightweight and easy to manuever. Don't waste your money on stick vacs. This gets the job done. I don't have wall-to-wall carpet, but it sure gets the throw rugs spot free. It could use another attachment and a place to store on vacuum. Overall, highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk--negative 5 stars, fire hazard, February 3, 2013
S. Ishaque (Mount Prospect, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BISSELL Zing Bagless Canister Vacuum, Blue (Kitchen)
I purchased this item on November 21, 2012. Initially I was pleased. The vacuum is light weight, compact, easy to use, had good suction, and was easy to clean. The wand attachments seemed a little flimsy but for this price I wasn't complaining. The vacuum was not used for any heavy duty cleaning. Use was limited to around the house clean up: mostly dust pick up in hall ways. This morning, the vacuum lost suction, it began making a high pitched whine and I thought I smelled something burning. I searched everywhere for a clog but found none. I removed the air inlet filter in the rear and turned the unit on. The whining noise resumed and through the grates of the filter gaurd I could see bright blue and orange sparks coming form the motor. The sparks began shooting through the grate. So I guess it's broken. The amazon return window expired on January 31st 2013 (3 days ago). I am now the proud owner of a dark blue, noise maker / electric sparkler on wheels. Hey at least the cord still retracts!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, January 6, 2012
This review is from: BISSELL Zing Bagless Canister Vacuum, Blue (Kitchen)
I purchased this little vacuum as a suplemental vacuum to my Oreck, which has no attachments to get under cabinets, around baseboards, over drapes, etc.... This little, lightweight vacuum has terrific suction. I use it between vacuums with the Oreck, and I think it is just as good. It is easy to maneuver and carry around, easy to empty. I love it. I have a large home, and I use this little vacuum everywhere. When you look for an effective vacuum, you look for suction and power. This one has both. The tubing might be plastic, but it does not affect performance. I would like to buy one of these for everyone in my family. Good bye, electric brooms. You will not be sorry with this purchase. I have had mine a few months, and it feels pretty sturdy and durable. You can't, in my opinion, get better for the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars This vacuum is really a garbage, August 17, 2013
This review is from: BISSELL Zing Bagless Canister Vacuum, Blue (Kitchen)
I have bought this vacuum nearly 6 month. I have used no more than ten times to have house vacuum. It starts to have burning smell coming out. When I take a look the back door, the fire spark shoots out. This is really not a safe vacuum to use at your house. You need to have a distinguish on the side when you use it. Therefore, if you don't want to burn down your house, your really should consider other type of vacuum.

1.0 out of 5 stars WORST VACUUM I'VE EVER OWNED~DON'T BUY IT!!, February 10, 2012
This review is from: BISSELL Zing Bagless Canister Vacuum, Blue (Kitchen)
I've never written a bad review in my entire life but I need to let people know about this vacuum. From the very first use the noise coming from this thing was horrible and very loud..sent my cat running to hide and my downstairs neighbor complaining! It is very poorly made..the hose and extension wand is cheap thin plastic..it cracked and split the first month of once a week use in a small three room apartment. I had to tape the hose and wand with duct tape to use it. By that time I had already thrown away the box so I couldn't return it. A month later during use I noticed an awful burning smell coming from the motor along with no suction. I was afraid of fire so I unplugged the vacuum and took it to the basement garbage..where it belonged! This vacuum was always maintained properly, emptied and filter cleaned after each use. It lasted less than three months! I should have returned it the minute I turned it on and heard what it sounded like but I didnt want to go through the trouble. I'm surprised a company like Bissell would make such an inferior and unsafe product. I've owned other vacuums during my 30 years as a housewife and mother but this is by far the WORST!! I would give it NO STARS if they let me.

BISSELL Zing Bagless Canister Vacuum, Blue
$72.00
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
Rate and Discover Movies