5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for young feminists
Published on August 23, 2006 by Amazonian

2.0 out of 5 stars For those who get off on sanctimonious rage & contempt
I am a woman, and used to like Bitch.
But even I have my limits. After enough years, issue after issue of uncompromising anger and judgement turned even me off.
If you want to know what Bitch is about, go to their website and read one article. It doesn't matter which. Some issue or event will be brought into focus, meticulously dissected with...
Published 12 months ago by Misanthrope

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for young feminists, August 23, 2006
This review is from: BITCHfest: Ten Years of Cultural Criticism from the Pages of Bitch Magazine (Paperback)
What a remarkably smart and satisfying collection of cultural criticism! Whether you're into gender theory, feminist historicism, questions of identity, or simply the deeper consequences of pop cultural phenomena, this book has it all. I studied gender and sexuality in college, and while I love reading more serious philosophers such as Judith Butler, Michel Foucault, and even Freud, sometimes I wish there were something appropriate for beach reading that is as intellectually gratifying. Each article in this anthology runs approximately 5 or 6 pages, and touches upon so many key themes in gender/sexuality studies that it leaves me feeling buzzed! The scope and breadth of the articles truly offer a representative vista of contemporary feminism. If you're looking for something lighter than Lacan but heavier than the NOW (National Organization for Women) newsletter, this is the answer. I would strongly recommend it to men too, since any critical view of women inevitably touches upon the tensions between genders and various sexualities. There are more than a few articles that discuss masculinity and identity, including a few that I got my boyfriend to read, simply because they were *that* good, and he enjoyed them too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Viva la revolucion!, August 8, 2006
Edward Aycock (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Presenting...

"Bitch" magazine - insightful, educational, hilarious - has been exploring "feminist response to pop culture" for the past decade and, at long last, several essays from the magazine have been collected into a book. The advent of "Bitchfest" is a blessing: the earliest issues of "Bitch" are nigh impossible to find anywhere due to the magazine's non-glamorous beginnings at a copy shop in the Bay Area (no glossy, Midtown Manhattan celebrity-laden launch for Bitch -- and we're all the better for it). I'm glad to finally have the opportunity to read some of the earliest essays.

Plus, you also get ...

How cool is it that some of my favorite essays are together at last? From Lori Tharp's well thought out rant on the absence of black characters from contemporary sitcoms to the snarky and oh-so-funny "Ten Things to Hate About JANE" (a dead-on critique of JANE magazine), each essay proves how all-pervasive pop culture has become, and why feminist thought can not afford to ignore it.

Buy now and we'll send you ...

"Bitchfest" also succeeds as a critical history of the feminist movement - one of the most incisive pieces in the book discusses the disconnect that occured when the feminist movement (at various times in its history) refused to single any one person out to be the "spokesperson" (for lack of a better word) for the movement. The result? The media anointed their own person, leading to infighting and yes, even pettiness that showcases the frustrations that can arise while trying to promote an egalitarian movement in a sensationalistic, media-controlled world.

But wait - there's more!

As an added bonus, there are a handful of articles that appear in this book for the very first time, in addition to introductory essays at the beginning of each section. It's nice to know that the editors cared enough to actually give the readers something extra rather than just throwing a handful of pre-published essays into a book and sending it to the printers.

Sure I don't always agree with "Bitchfest" but nobody ever said I had to. This book is wonderful and truly proves how unique and necessary "Bitch" magazine is (and will hopefully continue to be) during these crazy times.

Order yours today, it'll make a great present!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book, December 28, 2006
Disclaimer-I subscribe to Bitch Magazine and have for a number of years. I love it! When I saw this book at the university bookstore, I bought it and savored reading through the book.

What I really like about Bitch Magazine, more so than Bust, is that the articles are more theoretical and erudite. I don't consider them dry, but I am WS educator and view BM as more a cutting edge zine that demonstrates the various feminist strands that exist today in the 3rd Wave, No Wave era of the feminist movement.

Buy this book! Subscribe to the zine for thoughtful, well-written articles about all sorts of issues.

After that plug, let me just say that I don't always agree with the essays. Some will definitely leave you with that sense that you want to grab a coffee with a friend and hammer out some of your thoughts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great food for thought., October 5, 2006
Gotta hand it to Bitch:

- All of the articles are well written, if a bit dry at times.

- Even if you don't agree 100% with what the author is saying they usually make some good points and at least make you think.

- Many different views of feminism are offered.

I highly reccomend this along with a subscription to Bitch Magazine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking and very entertaining, January 18, 2007
I had quit writing reviews for books for a long time now. I live in Turkey so I do not get the magazine, but I purchased the book after reading many favourable reviews here on Amazon.com. It turns out that I was missing a lot! This book has great, great articles, some are very original in essence and it keeps you interested. Although I, too, skipped a few of the articles, 90% of them are really good ones, about many different subjects. The articles are sharp, witty and it is good that the subject variety is satisfactory. If I could, I would translate it to Turkish so it can reach more people over here. Great, great stuff, if you are interested in popular culture as well as gender issues, this is the essential reading for you. Can't recommend it enough!

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly refreshing, October 16, 2008
I found this book to be rather eye opening,
really talks about feminism in depth through a series of high-quality articles provided from the "Bitch" magazine.

For everyone interested/passionate about feminism/women's rights
or anyone simply looking for an enjoyable book to read,
this is a must!

5.0 out of 5 stars very smart and satisfying read, December 25, 2011
I bought this book because I've read a couple issues of Bitch Magazine and have been pretty impressed so far. This book is like a "greatest hits," covering a wide range of feminist issues and interesting topics like menstruation, gender identity, feminism in pop culture, sex, relationships, beauty ideals, etc. However no article in here seem like they're re-hashing what we already know about how our society is oppressive. There are lots of interesting essays/articles in here that pose thoughts and theories that I haven't considered before. A nice read for anyone interested in feminism and gender studies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the feminist-lite, May 12, 2009
This is a compilation of articles from Bitch Magazine. It touches on a wide range of topics and while there is a lot of interesting feminist analysis, most of it is at a very easy level to read. I gave a copy to my friend that has feminist tendencies but isn't interested in the higher-level literature and she absolutely devoured the book. This book isn't going to change the feminist landscape but it's a great little way to introduce people to the topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars a fantastic read for men & women, September 4, 2008
As a (middle-aged) male reader, I found this collection to be quite amazing. It seems that all contributors are equally committed to crafting clean, succinct essays with an engaging, yet erudite style. I can actually state that every piece was worth reading. Entertaining, instructive, even delightfully casual, at times, these are short, but thorough, and always interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars One bitch, two bitch red bitch, blue bitch, January 24, 2010
The price of the book alone is worth the stunning introduction by comedienne Margaret Cho. She'll give any woman enough reason to declare with sincerity that she is a bitch without the least bit shame & if she's called it, she'll know to carry it as a banner of pride. Of course, those who are unfamiliar with this magazine may not realize that `bitch' is not used in a way that degrades women or encourages meanness & insensivity towards other people. It's just declared the label that society gives women for standing up for themselves & demanding equal treatment. So, from one bitch to another, this book is for you.

It has topics ranging from the absence of positive African American women on tv to a feminist's take on the use of `guys' to include women. I do not necessarily agree or understand all of the ideas expressed in this collection, but it did cause me to think over what I see on the tv. We like to pretend that popular culture has no inherent value, but as spelled out in the pages of Bitch, we see that our culture's ideals & perceptions of us are portrayed in pop culture for all to see. Why are commercials for domestic cleaning products almost always featuring women? And why are they so happy to be cleaning? I don't mind cleaning or doing the laundry, but I've never been that cheerful about it.

What I love about this book & about Bitch magazine itself is that it tries (& doesn't always succeed) to reach out to us on the fringes who are sitting
there, remote in hand, wondering what the hell has happened. Didn't the feminist movement take place? So, why are females so ashamed to call themselves feminist anyway? Do they want equal treatment or not? Why does tv seem so vanilla when we're in an era that supposedly celebrates diversity? There are plenty of questions left unanswered & reading this, you'll be thinking of your own to add to it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›