Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BONE: Tall Tales
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 7, 2010
Bone: Tall Tales by Jeff Smith with Tom Sniegoski, a companion to the epic Bone saga, was previously published in black-and-white as Stupid-Stupid Rat-tails. This brand-new edition, published by Scholastic Graphix in both hardcover and paperback, features new stories and full-colour art.

Bone: Tall Tales serves as a perfect introduction to the series for new readers, and it's a must-have for long-time Bone fans as well. This fun collection of stories of Casper-looking underdogs is perfectly titled, because each and every funny tale Smiley shares 'round the campfire is a tall one. The glossy full-colour illustrations will reel kids in, and the high-falutin' stories will keep them intrigued. The tale of Bone's birth is especially off-the-wall. My favorite tale is the final story, in which Bone gathers a hodgepodge group of woodland creatures, including an adorable fox, a shy turtle, a very put-upon monkey, and a guardian dragon named Stillman who quickly stole a little piece of my heart, to help him in a fight against the evil rat creatures.

Two thumbs up for Tall Tales, Smith, and Sniegoski!
on November 16, 2010
I am an avid fan of the comic medium and a comic creator myself. I knew very little about Bone, however, until I bought the collected edition. I thought it was wonderful: the crisp,clear art, the humor and the way the story unfolded where top notch. This prequel is an excellent addition giving the reader a further view into the lives and myths of the Bones. Something that is not a big part of the Bone saga. Another plus is that the art is in color. This is not always a good thing as in many comics the color overwhelms the art. Not in this case. Everthing fits together perfectly.

These stories are short, fun and can be enjoyed by people of all ages. For what its worth, I recommend it.
on February 27, 2014
And I love the 'little' Bones. But it was a bit of a let down to hear that the founding father of Boneville had been ...[SPOILER DELETED]

Great art throughout and a fun little Paul Bunyan-esque tale for all ages.
on February 25, 2013
It's just as great as you would expect. I loved every moment of it. I love the coloring and Jeff Smith's art is brilliant as it always is. My book was delivered fast and in perfect condition. I love this book!
on August 25, 2013
My 12 year old grandson, who is autistic, loves this series of books. He sits & reads them from cover to cover which is rare for him to read books. He reads on the computer for the most part but he loves these stories!! Keep up the good work.
on September 8, 2011
This is the prequel book to the Bone series. It was a fun addition to the series. Not as wonderful as the original story, but still fun to read and entertaining.

In this book Smiley Bone tells some younger Bones stories about Big Johnson Bone, the adventurous founder of Boneville. Big Johnson Bone is a bit outrageous and has a lot of crazy tales attributed to his name.

The artwork is consistent with previous Bone books; it's fun and matches the tone of the story well.

The book features little stories about various adventures that Big Johnson was on. We even get to find out how the Rat Creatures lost their tails!

While I enjoyed the sheer outlandishness of some of Big Johnson's tales, I didn't find him to be quite as endearing of a character as our wonderful original Bone trio. Still he was funny and his candidness about his adventures was fun to read about.

Overall this is a fun addition to the Bone series. Just something to tide you over until there is more Bone to read. The tales of Boneville founder Big Johnson Bone are amusing and entertaining. Fans of the series should be pleased with this addition, this book also stands alone well on its own and is appropriate for younger readers as well.
on November 29, 2011
My son read this entire series in 5th grade. It is a great way to get them to read very high quality, glossy covered books. But I would have wanted to know they are made much like comic books, as far as the lay out inside. FYI
on October 9, 2013
The "Bone" series has been a phenomenally popular graphic novel series, a strange but superb combination of Tolkien-esque fantasy and Loony-Tunes-esque slapstick humor. On the one hand, it was a cartoony and fun story about the three Bone cousins and their wildly differing personalities bouncing off each other as they tried to find their way in a strange land. On the other hand, it was also an epic high fantasy with dragons, lost kingdoms, hidden royalty, fierce beasts, and a sinister force known as the Lord of Locusts bent on conquering the world. It was one of the most entertaining graphic novel series I'd read... but sadly, I found myself disappointed in the spinoffs "Rose" and "Quest For the Spark." They didn't hold the same sort of appeal or charm for me.

So when I went into "Tall Tales," I didn't have high hopes for it... but to my surprise it was a fun and entertaining romp, and while not absolutely necessary to the plot of the "Bone" series, it still fits nicely into the mythos of the series.

"Tall Tales" takes place after the events of Bone, with Smiley Bone taking a group of Bone scouts -- and his adopted rat creature Bartleby -- on a camping trip in the forest. Around the campfire he begins to relate stories to them, one about their time with Thorn and Gran'ma Ben, and others regarding Big Johnson Bone, founder of Boneville. Most of the scouts are awed by the stories, but one in particular is skeptical, and swipes Smiley's storyteller hat and goes to bed with it. Whether it's the magic of the hat or the power of Smiley's stories, who can say... but soon the young scout is dreaming up his own epic story about Big Johnson Bone, his wisecracking monkey sidekick, and their encounter with the queen of the rat creatures and her monstrous son.

More of a collection of short stories than anything else, this is a weaker collection than the "Bone" series, but it's still quite a bit better than the "Rose" prequel. For one thing, Jeff Smith returns to do the artwork for this volume (though he only writes one of the stories), and his artwork hits the right balance between cartoony and realistic. There's a real sense of dynamic motion in every image, making the entire book seem to come to life. I could easily see the "Bone" series becoming an animated series someday, with the same clever and fluid art style.

The stories themselves are somewhat hit or miss. The first entry, a tale where Fone and Phoney go to epic lengths to get out of doing the laundry, feels mostly pointless and as the setup to an unsatisfying joke. The second and third stories, centered around Big Johnson Bone, feel like the equivalent of tall tales in the same vein as Paul Bunyan or Pecos Bill, and maintain that same over-the-top feel as these classics. The final story is the strongest, tying into the Bone series as a semi-prequel of sorts, and details Big Johnson's journey into the land of the rat creatures, and an encounter with a small dragon and the fearsome rat creature queen. It's both funny and epic, and though we don't follow the Bone brothers of the previous series, we still have a fun and eclectic band of new characters to get to know and follow. And it does reveal a facet of the rat creatures' culture, and a reasoning behind it.

If you're a fan of the "Bone" series, you'll enjoy this book. It's not a necessary read, but it's a fun one, and it's nice seeing Smiley get the spotlight for once.
on April 3, 2012
I have read the Bone series twice, it is so good. So I got this Bone book, though without high expectations; I know it's not in the series, so there won't be as much excitement. I figure it will still be fun to read.

Well, it isn't. The art work is still gorgeous as always, given that Jeff Smith did it. But the storyline is a disaster. I know that you don't believe me as I say as. If I had read this comment before I read the book, I wouldn't believe this either. I mean, how could Jeff Smith come up with a bad plot? Look at the Bone series! Not possible!

But I examined the book carefully and found out why. The story isn't by Jeff. It's by another guy Tom; only the ark work is by Jeff.

I tried to finish this book 5 times and couldn't. The storyline is too boring! My son, age 13 and a Bone fan, warned me before I started that this book isn't good, but I thought he's just being a weird teenager.

At the end of the book, it is indicated that Jeff is collaborating with Tom on future coming Bone books too. Bad idea, Mr. Jeff! If you want to do a job right, you need to do it yourself. Or at least find competent help.

I can't believe Scholastic, a high quality publisher who does books like Harry Potter, is allowing Tall Tales to appear in the market. Well, I guess stuff happens.

But let me just say that the art work is superb, as always. The drawing is beautiful, and the coloring is amazing! But the plot! Such beautiful art should not be matched to such a boring plot!
on January 26, 2012
The book is quite enjoyable. Written as a collection of short, tall-tale campfire stories, it is easy to sit down and read several chapters at once or just one without losing track of the story line. The art work is great as usual.