5.0 out of 5 stars Saved me from a ticket.
I highly recommend this product or one like it (with Dual Camera's, GPS, and Odometer).

Published 19 months ago by PC_Doc76

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for the money
Published 21 months ago by Kevin Mahler

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for the money, April 10, 2013
This review is from: BOOMYOURS 2.7" TFT 270°Rotating Dual Camera Lens HD Car DVR Vehicle Blackbox DVR with G-sensor & GPS Module & SD Slot (Size-A1, Black) (Electronics)
While I agree the manual is horrible! I had to guess on how to set the Timezone. There is a config text file that is created on the memory card when you format it. Then put it in your computer and run the JPlayer app which will create a file called Default_Folder. If you go into that file and add a line [TimeZone]=-4 (for Eastern Daylight Time) your offset may vary, that will set the timezone to Eastern Daylight Time.

The video can only be viewed using the app that comes with the device and shows the x,y,z sensors. You can export the video to an .avi file but the sensor graph does not export the x,y,z sensors or the speed. Those are two big flaws.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved me from a ticket., June 14, 2013

I wrecked on a wet road. I had installed this product in my vehicle earlier in the week, and the cop accused me of speeding and not wearing my seat belt. I showed him the video while I was onsite for the accident and after he saw it, he told me that was the first time he has ever seen anyone with a dashcam (that wasn't a cop). It got me out of some tickets.

Here is the chopped down video on YouTube:

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Car DVR With Many Features At A Great Price!, December 15, 2013
Cons: Feels flimsy, very light weight (cheap plastic), very cheap power cable. Pros: Light weight (doesn't fall from windshield), two cameras, wide field of view, GPS logger with Google Maps, G force sensor, easily accessible Menu with a good selection of video/audio selections.
On to my actual use review: This is the second car camera I purchased in the past few weeks. I bought a mirror type first which turned out to be too large for my sub compact Saturn Coupe. The mirror camera blocked about a third of my useful upper windshield view which was too obtrusive & dangerous. So, I bought this for it's size and features. Very easy to setup once I figured out how to change the language to English (search for a video on YouTube and it is explained there). I have used single camera (front view) and both cameras with GPS on. The loop feature of the camera is definitely needed! Make sure the camera you choose has this feature. Some offered on Amazon & other online vendors do NOT loop the recording so when the card is full you have to delete the files or format the card. I suggest a class 10 32-Gig card. They are very inexpensive now so why not? OK. I mounted this jewel just above and slightly to the right of my rear view mirror. It is out of the way and does not obstruct my view for driving. I routed the cable out of sight and to my lighter plug. After driving for several days I took the ram card out and installed it in my card reader and looked at the videos. You will need a card reader if you want to view the videos on your computer. The camera system software writes a small program file on the RAM card which you have to run to access the videos. The program that comes built in to the camera is very useful with lots of features. The GPS feature is very nice and shows your exact location and speed on a Google Map. Very useful for fighting traffic tickets and of course proving who was at fault in an accident. So if you are one of those "bad" drivers you may NOT want a camera in your vehicle! Some of the files I noticed were "locked" either by me or by a function of the camera (not sure). They can be unlocked easily within the program and then the camera can overwrite the files while loop recording or you can just delete them. I think the G sensor locked those files due to high G force changes while driving. While playing the videos within the program they appear very small. This is very misleading to the quality of the videos! You CAN adjust the video size to make it slightly larger within the program but the video size still appears small. So, if you need to save any videos what you do is export or SAVE them using the included program. When you do this I highly suggest you "Save All" because the program will merge all the files together (for a particular date) and convert them to one AVI file for that date. Use any video player that plays AVI files to play the videos. You will get a very large screen, high quality video with full audio. Once you see how great the quality is you should also notice that when recording with both cameras the video quality is outstanding and covers the road in front of you and the inside of the vehicle very well. I suggest recording with both cameras at all times with GPS and G sensor running. One more suggestion: Once you mount it leave it alone! I don't think the camera and power cable will withstand repeated mounting and dismounting. For the money this is in my opinion the best camera currently available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera!, August 25, 2013
Good price. Set up was no problem. Records forward and backward. It sees everything in front of you and behind you, its awesome! It even gets whats in the car so gentlemen, be careful bopping and singing to "This girl is on fire", yup it will get that too, video and audio, HA! You can mute sound off/on if you so you can sing along or making that secret phone call (wink). Put on your sunglasses, do the MiB thing. Oh yea, don't pick your nose. You can push the center of 5 buttons at the bottom to stop recording anytime and resume recording anytime. If you do nothing, the camera starts when you start the car and stops when you turn off the car.

When you play the SD card in your computer, it has it's own little killer video player, and it neglects nothing. It uses Google maps and shows where you are on the earth "while moving" (birds eye, in map mode) as the recorded video shows the road. It shows date, time, lattitude, longitude, Google map, N,S,E,W compass rose, MPH, yup MPH, or selectively KPH. It catches pretty girl with front camera as she fades along the side of video including you looking in that direction as the rear camera catches rear video then same pretty girls fading away into distance with rear video and you looking up into rearview mirror. Again use sunglasses, MiB mode, do not turn head, do not make facial expressions. Depending of marital/relationship status this could cause demerits at home. Camera is not to be blamed for demerits!!!! Adjust camera as needed to avoid demerits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, July 1, 2013
Despite some of the bad reviews, I thought this product was great. It really didn't take long to figure out how to operate it. The GPS feature worked just fine when I dl'd the videos to my computer and used the supplied software. Videos can easily be saved to your hd including the gps data, but just remember, although you can view the videos without the software provided, to view the video with gps data, you must you the software.
The only thing I didn't like was that all the input buttons are on the bottom of the unit. Until really got used to it, I would press a button by accident when I tried to position the cam.
As for the suction cup? I had no problem attaching it to my windshield or having it come off the windshield. You won't be able to "read" a license plate number on the video but you will have a record of any incident and be able to identify the make, model and color of any vehicle that you want to.
Hey, at this price, who could ask for anything better.

1.0 out of 5 stars When it works it's great, January 11, 2014
I bought my first one of these about a year ago and it worked so well that I bought 3 more a few months later for my other vehicles.
My original one is still working great but the other three units starting freaking out after a few months. They all have the same issue, They turn on and off rapidly and beep all the time while I'm driving along. They will sometimes just start flashing a blue screen on and off.
If I take it out of the car, let the battery go dead and then put it back in the car it will work for a few days and then go through the same issues.
So, I have one out of four of these that work great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice dash can, February 18, 2013
Works very well so far, I like the GPS option. Download video to your computer and it shows your speed and route, pretty clear video at night, it's extremely dark where I live, no street lights, but works well with just headlights on. Night vision cam for inside vehicle not the greatest but works, overall it's a good dash cam

2.0 out of 5 stars CAUTION!!, May 6, 2013
When you click on "Add to cart" for this product, Amazon will then suggest you should buy the Transcend Class 10 32 GB SDHC card. DONT BE FOOLED - that is a FULL SIZE SD card - this device takes a MICRO SD card instead.

As far as how the device itself works, I wont know until I return the big memory card and get a little one. Yes, stipulated it says micro card needed way down in the text, but isnt the stuff Amazon suggests supposed to be relevant to the purchase you just made..?

------------------

FURTHER FOLLOWUP 3 Dec 2013:

BE VERY careful inserting the SD card; it is very tricky to get it in the slot correctly and very easy to get it inside the case next to the slot and then it is a bitch getting it back out again.

------------------

OK, been using it for a while now. Fairly entertaining toy. As others have already mentioned, "HD" is "BS", its really about 640x480 (each for front and rear). If you want to read license plates, this is not your unit. The only way you'll read license plates with this is if you read-end somebody and submarine under their bumper and their plates are now between you and your own headlights. But having said that, I will keep using it for proof that a light was green or that the guy I ran into ran a stop sign kind of evidence.

You can select it to record front only, rear only and both but it makes no difference to the quality which you choose. You can also DISPLAY front, rear or both (while still RECORDING both) on the built in display. The display shuts off after about 30 seconds but you can turn it back on by pushing the "big" orange button.

It takes some fussing to find a location in a medium sized car where it can see both ways and still not fight with the mirror and sun visors.

The memory card is a bitch to get in and out AND taking it out is the only way to download the videos. Additionally the video is stored on the SDHC in a proprietary format so you have to use their tool to convert it to a conventional format for viewing. It takes about 15 minutes to convert a half hour drive's worth of video.

The buttons are very flimsy and loosely installed. When you go over a bumpy road or lug a manual shift car at low RPM it causes the buttons to vibrate, making a chattering noise which completely obliterates the microphone on the unit. Oh well, my singing isnt that good anyway.

The display is mostly good for verifying that the unit is on or initial setting up the menus, I'd hate to have to try to talk my way out of a ticket by showing it to a cop; If I need traffic law evidence I plan to not mention the unit at all, take it home, download/convert the video and then take THAT to court or email it to the cop as appropriate.

It has a G-sensor built in which marks a video clip for retention so that an important video doesnt get auto-written over, I guess thats a good idea, but on the "medium" setting it thinks switching on the radio while sitting at a traffic light is enough G force to mark a video for protection.

As always the Engrish owners manual is mostly useless, but then what manual isnt these days; heck even the manual for the CAR is mostly 400 pages of "dont operate the car inside the garage", "dont roll the window up while your head is sticking out" and "dont drive underwater without wearing a seat belt" useless rubbish anyway; designed to protect the manufacturer from the lawyers of stupid people. As a society we'd probably all be better off if they DIDN'T warn people not to roll the window up with their head sticking out...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, February 13, 2013
I admit, the initial start up is a little painful because the manual has been poorly translated to English. This makes initial formatting of card and language selection a bit of guesswork.

However, aside from that just insert a 6 speed or above, 4-32gb mini SD card and youre rock and roll. The menus are simple to interface and adjustable while recording.

As far as the product being cheaply built...eh maybe not Sony standard, but it's effective and works. I think it's more of perception based on its simple design.

I've had mine operational for over a month now and not a lick of problems.

1.0 out of 5 stars This product makes no sense, February 25, 2013
I've bought this camera based on its OK review, I made mistake. All 5/4 stars reviewers mentioned good video quality, well I don't know what they are talking about but I can't even read a license plate on a car which is in a few feet from my bumper. Resolution is 640x480 but looks like sensor is so small... This product is just a joke. If you will get into a trouble (save you God from this) on the road it will not help you at all, especially in case of hit-d-run. Think about it. On other hand you get what you paid for. I understand well that I have to pay $300 (and buy a real HD camera) to be able to read all those characters on license plate from car ahead of me. This product is going back, sorry.