4.0 out of 5 stars Quick change at its best
Great design by Stanley so you don't have to take it apart to change blades. The little storage area for blades is neat too.
Published on March 4, 2002 by K. Yee

2.0 out of 5 stars VERY difficult to figure out
Customer Video Review     Length:: 4:55 Mins
Published on May 9, 2010 by C. Pearson

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick change at its best, March 4, 2002
K. Yee "kenyee" (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BOSTITCH 10-499 Quick-Change Utility Knife with Retractable Blade and Twine Cutter, Silver (Tools & Home Improvement)
The blade change isn't totally intuitive so it would help if they put something like this on their packaging: "Push down black retractable blade button and push all the way forward past the detent so the button stays pushed down. Then push in the silver side button and pull blade out."
Only reason I gave it 4 stars is that I used it to cut some ceiling tile and rubbed off a big section of paint on the handle near the blade; they should have nickel or chrome plated that section instead of painting it.

2.0 out of 5 stars VERY difficult to figure out, May 9, 2010
C. Pearson (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
Length:: 4:55 Mins

I am so glad to see other reviewers had problems figuring out how to change the blades. It has literally taken me 30 minutes to get the blade in, and I really thought I had just somehow gotten a broken one. Now that the blade is in, I don't have any idea how I got it there. Very frustrating as "using a knife" didn't bring to mind ideas of spending half an hour getting it ready before I could even start. Come on Stanley, put some directions on this thing. If you've got some time to figure out this Indiana Jones-esque device, go ahead and save a couple dollars. Otherwise, spend a few bucks more and get something easier to use.

edit as of 4/4/2011 - I put a video on here because I finally had time to make putting the blade in a project on its own. The quality isn't that great, but it's solid information and gives you a realistic idea of what changing blades is like. Once that blade is in, I have no complaints.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great knife, November 30, 2003
This is a very nice knife.
As was mentioned it is sometimes difficult to change the blade, you need to make sure push the blade ALL the way out and then press the blade release button. The spare blade holder is nice and big, I have about 5-6 blades there. The string cutter doesn't seem to work all that well, so I ususaly just use ther enitre blade to cut string.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Knife --- Frustrating --- Then Simple, July 29, 2012
Robert Chadwick "robbchadwick" (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
For such a simple procedure this was one of the most frustrating things I have EVER had to learn in my life. If manufacturers would devote just 1/10 the effort providing instructions as they do in developing packaging that requires an athlete to open, it would never have been frustrating at all. I consider myself a pretty intelligent individual; but it took me HOURS to learn how to properly install a blade in this sucker. (I had not watched the video at that time; and to be honest, I'm not sure why the guy who produced the video had so much trouble getting it in once he understood the process.) Once I understood what to do, I have taken the blade in and out repeatedly in a few seconds each time; but getting there the first time can be mind boggling. I did somehow get the blade in the first time; but all I had was a little nub of a blade to cut with. Once I understood the process and got the blade out and back in, I had a fully functioning utility knife.

Three steps:
1) Push the slider all the way to the third click and then hold down and push once more until it locks into the down position.
2) THEN ... and only then ... push the yellow rounded button until you see the tiny guide come out a little bit.
3) Carefully insert the blade until you feel it pop into the first position and let go of the little yellow rounded button. That's it. You get three blade positions ... very short, medium and fully extended.

It's a snap once you get the hang of it; and the extra blade storage unit on the bottom is easy to work.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's worth learning how to change a blade!, April 17, 2009
I also had the same problems that most people seem to have changing the blades. Frustrating, frustrating, frustrating! Then my husband showed me how to change the blade without taking the tool apart at all (I should have read the instructions???). This is super easy once you catch on, and the knife works great! I use it at work every day for all kinds of jobs, and I wouldn't go back to a different one.

4.0 out of 5 stars great knife idea, November 25, 2002
T. Stough "Ngai, Wheaton" (Wheaton, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent knife, I have owned more than 20 in my career. (there must be many homeowners who own them now because of my absent mindedness) I would only say there is one knife better than this. It would be the Craftsmen knife of the same design because the Craftsmen is made of aluminum and weighs less and has a sleeker feel. If you can't get to Sears this knife is the next of kin.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid utility knife, September 4, 2000
This is a very good knife, it makes your job a lot easier, you don't have to open the knife to replace the blade, all you have to do is pull the old one out and put the new one in. It is sometimes kind of tricky to do, this is why I'm giving it a four out of five, otherwise a great reliable tool by Stanley.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Knife, July 13, 2001
I have one of these Stanley Sheetrock knives, and I love the thing. It is so much easier to use thatn the old ones you have to take apart, and the really great part is the blade storage area. Granted the clip for the blade storage is prone to break, but usally only if you drop it off a ladder. I've had mine for about nine months now and it still works like a charm. The only real drawback with the knife is that when you are cutting insulation, the little rope cutter will grab the insulation and rip it while you're cutting, but, for my money that's a small price to pay for all the help it is. It would be nice if Stanley would put one on the market that doesn't have that rope cutter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive, good quality, blade exchange and holder work well once you figure them out., July 11, 2014
Length:: 3:36 Mins

This is a very good knife (especially for the price) once you figure out the blade exchange mechanism, which I show how to use. It's inexpensive, yet beefy enough to last a long, long time, and the blade quick change and blade holder features are worth a few extra bucks over a basic box knife. I give it 4/5 because the blade change isn't intuitive, and the instructions could be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Easy to change blade., June 7, 2014
I love this utility knife. It's so easy to access spare blades and so easy to change the blade compared to the old school style that you had to unscrew. Good price. Highly recommend.