4.0 out of 5 stars Good tool for larger circles
I have been making some round lazy susans and this tool works great for layout. Works well up to 24" diameter circles. It is much prefered to bow type compasses for these larger layouts. Only knock on this tool is that you can get the tip out of line with the pencil since the slide is round. Overall, great tool.
Published 18 months ago by Aubrey D. Duncan

3.0 out of 5 stars Not 16 inches
Published on July 11, 2012 by Eileen Walker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not 16 inches, July 11, 2012
This review is from: BOSTITCH 16-059 Fiberglass Compass (Tools & Home Improvement)
This is a 14 inch compass, or at least that is what I was sent. By pushing it to the limits I am able to draw a 13 inch circle, but just barely. I would have given it 5 stars if the rod had actually been 16 inches. It seems like a good product and a good value for the price. It's just not as long as it says it is, and therefore limiting for what I wanted to do with it. You can draw 12 or 12.5 inch circles with ease with this and without losing stability. Above that is questionable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tool for larger circles, January 9, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, December 24, 2011
Bostitch does it again. I'm an ironworker and professional fabricator. This is a grat product for a very modest price. It is built solid so you don't have to worry about damage to much. The pencil holder allows you to use many other marking utensils instead of just a pencil. All in all a great product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bostitch 16-059 Fiberglass Compass, July 16, 2012
First--rod is not fiberglass it aluminum
Second--rod is not 16 inches. If you need anything larger than a 13 inch radius this will not work. I know the discription says 16".
I will keep it but whats discribed is not what you will get.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tool, July 15, 2013
This is a excellent tool. I love to draw it's extremely difficult to make perfect large 360 degree circles. This tool makes it easy to do so. The pencil can easily be replaced with a pen or marker. This tool would be helpful for woodworkers not just artist. I highly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works just like a normal compass, June 26, 2013
Awesome design, but cheaply produced. The bar is completely round making the clamp (which is cheap plastic) easily rotate around making it hard to use. Tightening the clamp too hard strips the screw out of the plastic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very good quality, June 8, 2013
very cheaply made and looks like it could break at any moment. The smallest circle it can make would be around 5-6 inches so it wasn't as useful as i thought it would be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Need to draw a big circle?, April 24, 2013
I needed to draw a 24" circle. This tool accomplished the task. It will accept different diameter pencils, etc.. Not a heavy duty tool for every day use, but perfect for once in a while use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty decent tool, not exactly fitting the description., March 12, 2013
Tyler Cochran (CORALVILLE, IA, US) - See all my reviews
There aren't any fiberglass parts on this tool, which is actually a good thing in my opinion. The rod portion (which I assumed would be fiberglass) was actually an aluminum tube, which both the other parts can be disconnected from. My favorite feature is the ability to take the rod out and replace it with another length of rod, so I can use this for really any size circle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap crap, December 30, 2013
Amazon Customer (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
Where is the fibreglass? My compass had a 12" length of aluminum tube for a crossbar. The maximum radius would be about 13" and the minimum a shade under 3".

The plastic ends are cheap and look like they would be easily broken. The pin fell out of the point end even as I examined it after un-packaging. Frankly, with a dowel, a nail, a bolt and a wingnut you could probably build a more reliable, long lasting beam compass in five minutes, and it would look better and offer a greater range of radii, as well.

I give it one star because I'm not sure you can give none. And because I imagine I could actually draw a circle with it if I tried. Imagine, because it is highly unlikely I will ever try to use this piece of junk.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›