5.0 out of 5 stars Fan of the Bostitch

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent brad nailer, noisy compressor
Published on June 27, 2010 by MM

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan of the Bostitch, June 19, 2010
JA "handy man" (Irving, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BOSTITCH Factory-Reconditioned U/CPACK1850BN 18-Gauge Brad Nailer and Compressor Combo Kit (Tools & Home Improvement)
Unlike the other reviewers, the unit I received was clearly used (but, not abused). I have shopped for a compressor to use around the house on small projects, and especially for maintaining the air pressure on my car tires. So, when I saw this unit I knew the price was right, and took a chance on it being "Factory-Reconditioned." Glad I did. For the price, it is hard to beat this compressor. ** One caution, the picture of the unit gives one the impression that there is a black rubber 50 foot hose included. Mine arrived with a 25 foot coiled yellow PVC hose. So, just be aware, because you'll need to purchase a better hose if you want to use it for any robust work. ** Otherwise, I'm pleased with the purchase, and even recommended it to a friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed so far, August 17, 2010
This is my first factory reconditioned power tool, but if what I've experienced so far is any indication, it will not be my last. First off the compressor and nailer arrived within the 5 days promised. I've seen some reviews of not being properly packed for shipment. While mine was not packed with bubble wrap or foam peanuts, the box was the proper size and shape to protect it during shipping. The compressor included hose, inflator, fittings, teflon tape and instructions. The nailer arrived in the plastic carry case with oil, box of brads and instruction manual. Basically everything you need to get started.

Appearance: The compressor was in great shape, it was obvious that it was not brand new with a few scratches on the tank paint and a few scuffs here and there. I'm sure the hose and accessories were brand new because they were still in factory wrapping. Some have said that their compressor included a good quality rubber hose, mine sadly did not. I got the 25' PVC hose as listed in the description. It is stiff, and does not coil really well, but will work for me until I need a new one. The nailer appeared to be brand new until I took a close look and spotted a few small scratches on the front.

Quick Test: I decided that I would turn it on and let it run with the tank drain valve open as a breaking in period for around 30 minutes while I assembled the air chuck, uncoiled the hose and installed the QD fittings. It was raining at the time so the compressor was in my garage with the door open. It is pretty loud as many have already stated, I would say it is about as loud as my circular saw, maybe just a little more. I was expecting it to be much louder from all the complaints, but it is as loud as you would expect a compressor of this size to be. If I had to work right next to it for any period I'd want to wear some ear protection. Once I closed the valve and adjusted the regulator to max, it ran for around 3 minutes then cut off. I didn't hear any leaks so I hooked up a blower nozzle I have and held the trigger wide open. After only 7 seconds the compressor kicked back on. I stopped blowing and let it build pressure. After 1 minute it cut off again. So far so good. Next I decided to top off all the car/truck tires. While adding 3-5 psi to each of 8 tires, the compressor had to run twice. I kept airing the tires while the compressor was running and it seemed to keep up. Next I tried out the nailer. I just wanted to make sure it worked so I shot around a dozen 2" brads into stacked pieces of MDF, then pine 2 by 4 and some plywood I had lying around. It drove and countersunk all the nails without any problems.

Projects and use: My first projects using the combo were out of 3/4 plywood. I think I shot around 30 2" brads and another 40 1.25" brads and never missed a beat. If I hold the nailer correctly, the brad is shot and countersunk well into the stock. I didn't need to mess with the depth set adjustment. I shot between 15 and 20 brads before the compressor had to build up pressure again. I've also used the compressor several times for blowing sawdust off power tools and general cleaning (moving dust).

Conclusion: So far I am satisfied with this combo, especially for the great price I got it for plus free shipping. I can't attest to how long it will last of course, but like I said so far so good. The condition of the tools upon arrival was excellent and they seem to be well-built sturdy tools, not cheap or lightweight at all. The original reason I wanted a compressor was just for blowing dust in the shop and airing up tires. The compressor has to run more often than I thought it would have for blowing dust, but if I lower the pressure I can find a happy medium. I guess that is a trade off for having a pancake compressor. I like that I can carry it where I need it and it takes up about the same space as a 5 gallon bucket. The nailer sure is a handy tool that I think I will use a lot if it lasts. I like the fact that the nailer will drive as small as 5/8" or large as 2" brad. Marked down for short power cord and questionable longevity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, June 14, 2010
B. Harris (St. Louis, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This is a very good value, mine arrived in great shape and looked new. However, the release valve does seem to be a weak point in the design as it is plastic and was broken upon arrival. A pair of vice grips solved the problem. Overall a great value. The compressor seems to be high quality and the gun as well. I used it for a small project and both the gun and compressor performed as expected. If it wasn't for the breaking of the release valve, this would have easily gotten 5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent brad nailer, noisy compressor, June 27, 2010
MM (Tiburon, CA) - See all my reviews
I wanted a light compressor for small jobs and bought this combination becaue of the exellent value. I didn't need the brad nailer but gave it a try. It is far better than my old Porter Cable so I now use the Bostich. The compressor works well but it is noisier than my much larger compressor. I was using it indoors and had it sitting on a dropcloth on top of a carpet which should have muffled the sound a bit. Ear plugs are in order for even the most brief of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, May 13, 2010
H. F. Sawatzky (Altona, MB. Canada) - See all my reviews
Just opened up the box and I was impressed. The nailer and compressor both look like new. Plugged the thing in and slid in a sleeve of nails and started looking for something to test the nailer. Works awesome although my workbench now has a row of brads in it. I'll give the compressor a workout next weekend when I shingle my folks roof. Looking forward to it already.

1.0 out of 5 stars CPO packed my item with no care !, June 26, 2010
Robert Mcneil (philadelphia, pa United States) - See all my reviews
My kit came in a box with no packing material at all....NONE ! .... not one peanut, not one piece of foam....NOTHING...it was floating in a box that was too big for it...its arrived destroyed....Looks like the item might be nice, but CPO let me down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome deal, December 14, 2010
I was looking around at air compressors for a long time on Amazon. I came across this compressor after being dissappointed with how expensive the other new compressors were. I took a chance and ordered this one for nearly 50% off of a new one. I have been using this product for over 2 weeks fairly heavly.

I was extremely happy with my purchase. The product came and looked brand new. No scratches, dents or anything to lead me to believe it was pre-owned.

Pros:
- Great value for price
- Easy to operate
- came with thread tape and 25ft heavy duty hose
- brad nailer works awesome and includes brads
- Fairly quiet compared to other air compressors.
- No oil to mess with, just plug in and your good to go
- Handle makes for easy carrying
- Builds pressure quickly

Cons:
- it looks like some others got a 50ft hose
-Power button is made of cheap plastic, I can see this breaking when pulling the knob to turn off.

You won't do better for the price! Such a deal and works awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Condition, March 16, 2010
I just got done using it and it works like a brand new machine. It looks like one too. I did not see any marks on anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Value, February 26, 2011
What an incredible value! I picked up this combo factory-reconditioned item. It arrived several days later, via free shipping. The brad nailer and accessories kits were brand new and the reconditioned compressor looked new, too. It's not nearly as loud as I expected it to be, and works like a champ! Instructions are simple, even for the nailer. I had it up and running in no time reinforcing my fence using the nailer. From another review, I was aware the tubing wouldn't be robust, so I also purchased a 50' Goodyear hose, which was a good call. My only problem was that I wanted to use it immediately for airing up tires and the accessories kit's inflator piece was junk. A bit irritated, I went to Home Depot (HD) to pick up a better attachment for that purpose and got a nice surprise. Next to the air compressor accessories at HD was the same brad nailer that came with my compressor... priced, all by its lonesome, at exactly what I paid for the compressor, nailer, and compressor accessories kit combined. Couldn't be happier!

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned for refund, July 14, 2010
This item was not refurbed satisfactorily - out of the box it ran hot, smelled, and was smokey. Compressor was on more than off. Returned for refund. Purchased new model same day for urgent job and works great. It's a fantastic item, but you take your chances with the refurbished model.