5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!
Published on June 12, 2006 by Tom

3.0 out of 5 stars Cold blooded
Published on November 3, 2012 by Pole Barn Builder

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, June 12, 2006
Tom "ontrac1" (Flemington, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I had been using an N88RH-2MCN for my metal connector work. As you know, the 2MCN is a standard framing nailer with a locator tip. While it works fine, it's big and heavy and doesn't always fit between joists and in tight places. The MCN150 solves that problem. It's small & light comparable to a 15ga nailer, almost half the weight of the 2MCN and it fits into tight spaces more easily. The MCN150 does not use a locator tip, but rather uses the exposed nail tip to guide you into the hole. I've had it now for about 3 months and ran several thousand nails through it without incident. I would highly recomend this tool if you do frequent metal connector work. Just remember that all metal connectors do not call for 1 1/2" nails. For longer nails, you need another gun. It comes in a nice plastic fitted case.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "I don't know how I lived without it" tool, December 13, 2007
T. Kardas (Avery, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BOSTITCH MCN-150 StrapShot Metal Connector Nailer (Tools & Home Improvement)
I've had the Bostitch MCN-150 for just about a year now. In that time it has paid for itself two or three times over. One house, with lots of straps and hangers and one deck rebuild with a couple hundred joist hangers is all it took. This tool can do in an hour what it would take a person all day to do by hand. And it saves your fingers in the process. Anyone who has tried to set tico nails in tight spaces knows what I mean. I really can't stress the time savings enough. The size of this gun is great, you can get into some amazingly tight spots and because of the innovative tip design, you can shoot at less than ideal angles.

That being said: There are two cons to this tool. It only holds small clips of nails (24, i think) so you are constantly reloading, but even with a clip of 50 you would be reloading often because of the speed that you can shoot. When nailing off long Simpson type straps, you really notice this. The other con is the fact that you can only shoot 1.5" nails. Which is a bummer here in California, where longer nails are often required. But apparently they now have the MCN-250 which addresses both of these issues. I will be ordering one of those also.

I have also used the Hitachi NR65AK, which is good, but I really think the Bostitch is better and for the price of the Hitachi you could order both Bostitch models and still be in the same ballpark.

One last thing. You can use other companies nails in a pinch. The manual stressed using only Bostitch Nails, but I was forced to use Senco at one point. They work OK but jam in the track occasionally due to burs on the nails. But they'll get you through.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cold blooded, November 3, 2012
We run five crews building pole barns across the pacific nortwest. We own 11 Bostitch teko nailers and 5 Hitachi teko nailers. The Bostitch guns are faster but they are useless below 35 degrees. Even with winter oil, air drier, antifreeze, bla bla bla we tried it all. The guns are crap in the cold. But awesome in the summer. At half the price of the Hitachi I still recommend if you don't need ito use in the cold.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tool, December 9, 2008
Small and efficient tool. Will pay for itself after two jobs that have a average number of hangers. One good thing is that Paslode makes nails that work in this gun also, so you don't have to use Bostitch only. It doesn't like the cold though, but overall very satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars great time saver, May 21, 2007
I am very happy with this tool. The nails are expensive and I can only get galvaized ones from Lowes. Generic nails do not fit this tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Bostitch MCN-150 StrapShot Metal Connector Nailer, May 22, 2010
Thomas Fandre (Waukesha, Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
We recently purchased a Bostitch MCN-150 StrapShot Metal Connector nailer to use in constructing a two level treated lumber front porch on one of our rental properties. The MCN-150, driven by a small pancake compressor, is a great time-saving tool for securing Simpson brackets with 1-1/2 inch galvanized bracket nails. We accurately secured 28 eight and ten inch beam and joist brackets in less than ten minutes without smashing any thumbs or fingers and the nailer is small enough to get between 16 inch joists. The nailer allows you to do with one hand what normally takes two hands with a hammer and nail keeping your other hand free to accurately position the brackets. A great addition to our pneumatic and battery powered nailers.

5.0 out of 5 stars This nailer is incredible and highly recommended!!!, November 21, 2014
Incredible tool. Highly recommended it. Time and aggravation saved using this even 1 time is well worth the purchase. Manual nails you would be required to use will make you sick before you're even done manually nailing the first joist hanger. You'll wish you bought this nailer. I used it first time to put on 26 joist hangers each requiring 10 nails each. Accuracy was flawless and the speed was incredible. All 26 hangers and 260 nails were driven in under 30 minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY good gun, July 24, 2011
I'm a full time contractor, and build many'a deck.. I've used other larger TECO guns and have shot thousands upon thousands of teco nails. This MCN-150 is smaller, lighter and just as fast as the larger ones, yet it fits where they don't. It doesn't pack quite as much punch, so sometimes you have to finish setting the nail in really hard wood, but for the price, the convenience of it's size and weight, I'm more than satisfied with it's performance - and with a 7 yr warranty to boot. The only downside, is it doesn't feed generic teco nails all too well, the magazine has a tighter tolerance for the strip to slide freely, so you have to help the feeder along after each shot. All in all, 2 thumbs up!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, November 22, 2010
J. Stephen (Drexel Hill, PA) - See all my reviews
Quality tool. Used it for a couple deck jobs and I must have hung 100+ joist hangers, it made the difference between making and losing money. Payed for itself the first day in speed and effectiveness. I used a swivel air hose connector for the tight areas. Great addition to my air tools.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tools that make a difference, November 8, 2009
Erich "EV" (Western Slope of Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
If you're in a trade long enough you start getting excited when new, well thought out and engineered tools appear. A while back, the JLC reviewed the Bostitch StrapShot metal connector nailer. After reading the review I knew that there would be a job in my future that would be THE job that would be the perfect excuse to purchase this nailer and put it to use.

Oh Baby!! Where have you been all my life! During the age of dinosaurs we used to beat in teco nails with rocks. That was kind of hard on the rocks and our fingers. Then during the middle ages we would beat in those blasted nails with our 24 oz. serrated face framing hammers. Did you ever notice how the holes in the metal connectors were always just a little bit tinier than the loose (not collated) teco nails? If you didn't hit that frickin' nail with just the right amount of blast the hammer would home in on the nearest thumb and index finger - usually yours - and scrape off a nice thick layer of skin.
Then came the last decade of the 20th century. Homo Constructus Almosterectus, evolved to the point where we actually could nail those pesky metal hangers with our pneumatic framing nailers. The only thing you had to worry about was placing the tip of the nailer near the hole the nail was meant to go into. For those who had difficulty achieving this, numerous jokes involving hair were coined.

Along came the Bostitch MCN-150 StrapShot nailer. If there were a Nobel prize for innovative tool development, I would nominate the boys at Bostitch. It fits in tight joist spaces, it actually uses the nail point to locate the point of aim and after 1 week of daily usage, installing many hundreds of Simpson connectors, I can honestly say we had not one misfire.
If you're in the building business and your crews aren't using this nailer chances are they're not making you any money either. The only complaint I have is the local lack of nails for this gun. Until they become available I'll just keep on ordering them up on Amazon.

BOSTITCH MCN-150 StrapShot Metal Connector Nailer