4.0 out of 5 stars Makes the RN46 a siding nailer
Published on September 17, 2008 by C. Skeen Pinnacle Rem

3.0 out of 5 stars Siding job
The adapter can certainly work. It does require some extra monitoring to keep the nails lined up and not blowing out the vinyl siding tabs. For the expense of not buying a gun specifically for siding it was certainly worth it. If you expect to get a lot of siding jobs I would probably get a nail gun specific for the task though.
Published on May 29, 2010 by Remodeler and Craftsman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes the RN46 a siding nailer, September 17, 2008
This review is from: BOSTITCH VSA4 Vinyl Siding Adaptor Kit (Tools & Home Improvement)
This part works well for what its for. It is basically a replacement end for the RN46 that has about 3/16 shaved from the bottom of the tip. This allows you to set the tip of the gun on the locking flange and shoot. The tip also has a protrusion that fits in the slot but we grinded that off because the slots are wide enough to know when you are in them. It is a good addition but the price seems a little high.

3.0 out of 5 stars Siding job, May 29, 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Needed modificaton, but fine after that, October 26, 2012
I understand a lot of the negative comments as I found this adapter to be poorly shaped for siding. The idea was right, but the size and depth / shape of the device makes for far too many missed shots.
I had a conversation with it and my die grinder and was able to get it to be very reliable. I did remove a fair amount of material to get a nice step that fit nicely around the siding locking rib, but there is still plenty of material left, and it does not seem to have compromised its structure at all.
I tested on some scrap siding by nailing it to some scrap wood until I had it right.

Pretty much only missed when I got sloppy after that . With a better notch to fit the siding, all i had to do was place the guide peg in the nail slot of the siding and make sure I held the gun fairly straight.

If you are not prepared to modify this adapter and do some practice shots you may not be happy with the results.

I have done a lot of construction, but I am not a pro at siding, so this was way faster for me compared to using a hammer.
One plus was while on a ladder I could nail with one hand, and do it as far away as I could possibly reach.
As I can only get better at using this, I feel I would stay with using it.

I gave it 4 stars simply because it can be made to work well, as opposed to no other adapter option out there for the dewalt roofing gun that I already owned.

3.0 out of 5 stars There is no replacement for the hammer, September 8, 2008
I bought this adapter to install vinyl siding, what it is made to do. Had to grind rear of tip off to make it fit siding. Shoots about a 70% accuracy in hitting the hole. By the end of the house I was doing we went back to a hammer and nails.

4.0 out of 5 stars siding adapter, June 22, 2008
Very easy to change. No tools required. Works good after a quick couple of practice tries. A little overpriced.

5.0 out of 5 stars must have addition, July 4, 2013
doing siding? you need this adapter. once dialed in, it fires accurately and positions the nail (loosely) in the center of the vinyl slot. quick and accurate. works very well

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great, February 14, 2009
Sided my garage with this attached to my coil roofing gun. It worked pretty good. Takes a couple of times to get used to how and where its going to shoot exactly but after a few tries its a piece of cake.

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT idea, not the best results., September 28, 2014
It's nice to be able to air-nail vinyl siding versus by hand... This adapter has a "pin" on the bottom, to hook into your siding nail slot, so as to guide the nail into the slot. But I think it should have had 2 because the slightest misalignment and you're hitting and cracking the siding with the nail. Plus, the spacing on the tip is just a little too thick and I had to tip the gun down towards the siding a little, or else the nail would hit the thin top strip of plastic over the nail slot and break it. Lastly, I found it hard to keep the nail depth consistent with the depth adjustment on the roofing gun. These are made to sink nails down flush into a shingle, not leave them sticking out just a little. Our siding recommended that the nails NOT be tight, but actually have a little gap so the siding could expand and contract with heat and cold. This sometimes made the gun bury them tight, other times they stuck out a lot.
WHAT I DID was adjust it on the "light" side, thus leaving all the nails stick out too much. I had a helper hook and hold the siding. I would start nailing, then he would let go and hand tap the nails in with a hammer as I led. I still broke a lot of slots and had to hit some areas twice or even three times because of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars I went back to my hammer..., December 22, 2014
This is a great idea in theory. Unfortunately, if you are skilled with a hammer, I think you'll find yourself moving faster when you put down the gun. Getting that nipple aligned in the siding slot is sort of a pain and does not guarantee that the nail will be properly positioned every time. Also, even if you adjust the depth to where you want it, every 6-8th nail will sink to deep or tear the siding slot with the remnant of the wire coil. Factoring in the time to correct each of those 6-8th nails, I am faster with my hammer. I did however use it for corners and starter strip, without issue...

5.0 out of 5 stars exactly right!, October 13, 2014
Jon Daley (Hillsboro, NH, USA) - See all my reviews
The vinyl siding adapter worked great. We practiced a few times with different depths and getting used to how the notch worked, and everything was great.

Other reviewers said they had to machine the notch, but it worked fine as is for me (Certainteed Wood Grain siding).

My contractor hadn't ever heard of this and was suspicious, but after he saw it work, he was convinced.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›