4.0 out of 5 stars Easy installation
Published on December 17, 2007 by l0555

1.0 out of 5 stars Found a fix for chirping problems
Most reviewers report random chirping. In my case, I replaced the battery and couldn't get it to stop chirping every minute, until I found this advice elsewhere on the web:

1. Unplug detector from power (or flip circuit breaker)
2. Remove battery
3. Hold down Test button for 20 seconds
4. Replace battery
5. Turn power/breaker back on...
Published on September 5, 2008 by Michael Epstein

1.0 out of 5 stars Found a fix for chirping problems, September 5, 2008
This review is from: BRK Brands 9120B Hardwired Smoke Alarm with Battery Backup, Single Individual from Contractor Pack (Tools & Home Improvement)

1. Unplug detector from power (or flip circuit breaker)
2. Remove battery
3. Hold down Test button for 20 seconds
4. Replace battery
5. Turn power/breaker back on

This stopped mine from chirping every minute. Give it a try on yours.

1.0 out of 5 stars a superb random alarm clock, September 15, 2006
I bought this unit to replace a prior model that was no longer available. It's installed in tandem with other smoke alarms as was its predecessor. It's less than a year old.

Since new, every few random months the unit chirps a random number of times at a random hour of the day - sadly, all but once at dark o'clock, waking up our little tykes. I've replaced backup batteries that test like new on my voltmeter, with new ones that also test positive, to no avail. None of the other units in tandem exhibit a problem. All units, including this one, work as designed when running periodic tests. The unit is neither dirty nor dusty. And I know it works in smokey conditions as my wife occasionally proves by talking on the phone and cooking at the same time.

It's just the kind of thing that makes you want to do something dumb like disable it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy installation, December 17, 2007
l0555 (Conroe, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I replaced all 9 smoke alarms in my house with the BRK2190B in about 20 minutes. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is that the old ones were BRK (about 8 years old) that were starting to give false alarms (naturally at 2 or 3 in the morning). I have had them for a couple of weeks with no issues. The old ones did not indicate which unit had failed and was hard to trouble shoot). I had removed four of the 9 in the last year. All 9 of the new ones worked, and I had no issues. Only time will tell if I made the correct choice, but at least the BRK2190B will show me which unit caused the alarm. I have talked with other people with other alarms, and they all seem to have false alarms, so I am hoping the new ones work better. I admit I have not maintained them according to the manufacturer instructions, but who cleans them every month and test them every week.

1.0 out of 5 stars BRK to KIDDE Replacements, March 16, 2009
Gregory Vandenham (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I was very happy to notice that some Kidde smoke detectors came with a wiring harness adapter that plugs into your current BRK wiring and retrofits them to the Kidde Adapter.

I actually didn't realize that was possible until I went to Home Depot to check it out. Kidde actually made the swap out a no brainer after reading all the bad reviews associated with BRK.

The detectors I went with were Kidde 120 Volt Front Load Battery Smoke Alarm. I also got their CO/Smoke combo alarm that happened to have Voice Announcements to indicate what the problem was beyond the tone. The CO/Smoke Detector didn't have the adapter but it only took 5 minutes to rewire the connection. Our current building code require a CO detector in the home. Kidde detectors are a little more expensive but they all have hush buttons and tell you which detector went off. Their battery replacement doors are also really nice and warranty is 10 years instead of 5. You'll note the BRK detector says replace by on it and that date is always 5 years from manufacture. So Kidde's maybe twice the cost (at ~$15), but they last twice as long.

I have 3 new detectors in total that are working perfectly so far. The reason for the swap out was that my old BRK detectors went faulty on me - They went off for 5 hours while I was at work. My poor house pets were clearly pissed off / shell shocked when I got home. I was not happy and the only way to silence them was to pull all 3 from the hard wire connection and remove their batteries to reset/silence them.

Thanks to all the other Amazon reviewers for saving me from installing BRK again. Your reviews led me to spend the time I needed to get a better product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful alarm system, December 14, 2007
J. Blanch (Salt Lake City) - See all my reviews
I am now up at 3:30 a.m. with my husband as we are disabling the 4th one of these that has gone off, chirping about once every minute. They typically all decide to go off in the middle of the night, waking us up. He climbs up on a ladder and tries to vacuum it out. It still chirps. He puts in a new battery, which according to instructions inside the alarm itself, is the reason for the chirping. It still chirps. At this point, you are screaming every expletive that comes to mind that early in the morning. You then take out the battery and unplug it because that is the only way to make it stop beeping. Yes, this means you have a smoke detector that no longer works. The other review that says this is a defective product is exactly right. Save yourself some money and a great deal of frustration and buy another brand. If representatives of the manufacturers read these reviews and do not fix the problem, they will be liable for punitive damages when homeowners who have disabled these smoke detectors die in a fire.

2.0 out of 5 stars An alternative replacement for this smoke alarm, March 30, 2009
C. Caldwell (Mays Landing, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
I took the advice of another reviewer and replaced all of my existing BRK 910B smoke alarms with Kidde-Hardwire Replacement-Model # i2060 (P/N 21007397) smoke alarms. I purchased these from Home Depot for $15.97 each. These alarms comes with adapters for BRK hardwired smoke alarm, that can be quickly connected to the existing BRK hardwired connector in your ceiling or wall. These alarms needs to be replace every 10 years instead of 5 years and they come with a front battery door with a hush button. We replaced all of ours last week and haven't heard a beep from any of them yet! A great replacement alarm that you can purchase from your local Home Depot or online. Thanks to the 3/16/09 reviewer for this advice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, just awful., January 19, 2010
mathew (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have four BRK9120 units in my house, fitted by the builder and wired together.

As others have mentioned, these units will randomly wake you up with low battery alarm sounds, which almost always seem to occur during the middle of the night. Often when you get up to investigate, the alarm stops.

If it doesn't, you have the problem of tracking down which alarm has the low battery, as on an interconnected system they all seem to beep when any of them has a low battery. There's no apparent visual indication of which one has the low battery. The usual process is to replace a battery, wait a couple of minutes to see if the beeping has stopped, go back to bed, get woken up again ten minutes later, replace a different battery, repeat until infuriated.

When you do replace the battery, if you check the one you took out you'll probably find that a battery tester rates it as fine. I've ended up with quite a selection of apparently good 9V batteries that the BRK alarms refuse to use. I've used some of the "bad" 9V batteries in other products, and they still have significant charge.

A bonus feature is that the batteries are fiddly to change during the day; the horizontal pivoting battery holder means that it can take several minutes of pushing and twisting and messing around to get them to go in. Imagine the joy at 3 in the morning while standing on a step ladder.

When the smoke alarm goes off--which it will, because invisible "smoke" from the kitchen at the other end of the house will set it off--there's no off switch. Pulling the battery won't help, because of the AC power. So you have to put up with the ear-piercing shrieking until all the connected alarms decide that the fire has gone. Since you can't see the alleged smoke they're detecting, there's no way to tell which alarm you should be fanning to make them all shut up.

In short, a badly designed product, so infuriating that I'd almost rather risk being burned alive. If I expressed how I truly feel, Amazon would censor my review for swearing. Instead I will simply note that I honestly would not fit a BRK alarm in my house if they gave them away for free. The product is so annoying it has negative value. If you have a relative you hate, fit these smoke alarms in their house.

1.0 out of 5 stars The WORST smoke detector on the market, August 8, 2007
ovlov182 "Melissa" (Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas) - See all my reviews
Blame the electrician that installed it, but I blame BRK First Alert. This is by far the WORST experience I have ever had with a smoke detector or any home electronic device. One week ago, around midnight, I heard the first chirp come from one of two detectors in my hallway (one of at least 6 in my house). I continued to hear the sound, which kept me up until 3 a.m. as I tried to find a 9-volt replacement battery somewhere in the house to no avail. I even attempted shutting off the power because this device is connected to wiring in the ceiling. Nothing worked. I got no sleep that night, and I've had little sleep since. I have replaced the battery four times since last Thursday, I've vacuumed the device (just as the website suggests), and I've pulled the thing out of the ceiling. NOTHING has worked. Today I spoke with one of their representatives on the telephone, who told me that he and his co-workers (how many of them? 10? more?) receive 1-2 calls just like this EVERY DAY. Clearly there is a problem. Unfortunately, this particular device has yet to be recalled, but I don't doubt that like other First Alert products, it will soon be. My next stop is the Attorney General. This is a horrible detector. Buyer beware!

1.0 out of 5 stars Say goodbye to sleep, January 22, 2008
I just got done ripping these things out of my ceiling. That is the last night I will spend with these things going off for 2-3 beeps once or more in the middle of the night. I called BRK and asked them about it and they just said to replace all the batteries and vacuum them out. I did that and it made absolutely no difference. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why they go off. I have also had them go off for a solid block of 5 to 10 minutes at 4am. At that time, they did not behave as they were supposed to with the red LED according to the manual either. I checked the Better Business Bureau site and BRK has an unsatisfactory record with them as well. When I inquired with BRK customer service about the behavior, all they would say is they have been in business a long time. Evidently that means the products don't have to actually work to sell now. So I am incredibly disappointed with the item and the service backing them up. As a side note, when I was discussing the middle of the night problems with a neighbor, he said he had the same problems with his until he switched them all out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Garbage, May 16, 2011
Buster (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
You will be sleeping. Then you'll be dreaming about a little bird chirping occasionally on your windowsill. Then the bird will become annoying. Then you'll be awake and realize that the bird is your BRK 9210B Hardwired Smoke Alarm with Battery Backup. It has woken up your entire family. You will attempt to reset it. It will continue to chirp. You will replace the battery with a fresh one. It will continue to chirp. (The next day you will test the old battery and discover that it's still perfectly good.) You will disconnect the offending smoke alarm and it will continue to chirp until the last bit of power drains from is useless plastic body. You will try to go back to sleep, but will lay awake in bed ...praying that nothing catches fire. The next day you will write one of scores of 1-star Amazon reviews of this piece of garbage.

$23.99 $12.20
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.