4.0 out of 5 stars Immediate Results, But Read the Label
Published 22 months ago by Mark

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Dangerous
I was a big fan of this stuff for at least 3 years. I started my senior year of high school and continued through most of college. The stuff works. I have never had a better stimulant. You could be dead tired and take a scoop or two of this and be ready to lift.
Published on October 5, 2012 by adam3290

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Dangerous, October 5, 2012
This review is from: BSN N.O.-Xplode 2.0 Extreme Pre-Training Performance Igniter 2.48 lbs, Fruit Punch (Grocery)
The pumps are what makes this stuff great to use. INCREDIBLE pumps. After an intense set of bicep curls I thought my skin was going to tear. It will make you look huge your entire workout. The creatine in it also makes you look bigger after a while.

Then I had a routine blood test because of an illness.....

High liver enzymes. The doctor expressed concerns about my high liver enzymes and asked about my diet. I mentioned I take a pre workout but he didnt seem too concerned with it. He retested me a few weeks later and was perplexed. His concern made me concerned, so I began to examine my lifestyle. I figured the only thing out of the norm was my protein supplementation and my pre-workout supplementation. After a quick internet search I came across similar concerns. I decided to check Amazon reviews and found the others with similar problems. I stopped taking this supplement immediately. About a month later I figured it was out of my system and set up an appointment for a blood test. Sure enough, it was normal.

Since there is NO regulation from the FDA on these products, it is up to the consumer to educate themselves on what they are ingesting. DO NOT TAKE THIS PRODUCT. Does it work? Yes. Does it do what it says it will? Yes. Does it damage your liver? YES. That isn't a trade-off I am willing to take. I know of many high school and college kids that abuse the hell out of this stuff and I would imagine they will have unpleasant consequences down the road.

I would suggest taking a pre workout without a bunch of crap in it. Amino Energy from Optimum Nutrition is a solid choice. You won't have as much energy or as nice of pumps, but you also won't be slowly killing yourself.

BE A SMART CONSUMER. This needs to be pulled from the market.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous!!!!, January 9, 2008
Amazon Customer "Judsonls" (Cumberland, RI United States) - See all my reviews
Do not use this product. Though it provided me with energy for my nightly workouts, after using it for 3 months my Liver Enzymes were through the roof. The danger of elevated LFTs for long term liver disease and permanent damage is great. If I hadn't gone for my routine physical I would not have discovered the elevation of the enzymes. As soon as I stopped the supplement, the enzymes reverted back to normal withnin a few weeks however. Lucky for that! This product should not be on the market. Period! Research it on the internet. You will find similar stories to my own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Immediate Results, But Read the Label, April 3, 2013
So, let me preface this review by saying that i've been using this product off and on since 2008 and i'm well aware of its benefits, its side effects and the warnings that are attributed to it. If you plan to use this product and are new to the world of supplements, do yourself a favor and ask yourself the question, "Am I really going to be doing the high intensity routines that this product is designed for?" I don't mean running a mile or two. I mean heavy weight training circuits that require multiple sets with mid-high reps at a high weight or heavy cardio exercise that involve very long distance/interval training/ or plyometrics. This is meant to give you a pre-workout pump, A strong burst of energy and "focus". The second and most important question you need to ask is, "Did I read all of the warning labels that are on the container and am I in a state where I can take a stimulant and not suffer major drawbacks?" If you don't know the answer to the second question, do as the packaging and the company suggests and consult your family physician before taking it. I did and I don't have any known physical conditions. It's safe, its smart and you shouldn't brush off warning labels.

Pros:
+It does exactly what it advertises. You get a very nice muscle pump (you'll notice it right away), you get a HUGE burst of energy coming from the large shot of caffeine thats in a serving, and you'll notice that you have a bit more endurance during your routine (I said a bit more, not a lot. It's not a miracle supplement, you still have to push yourself).
+Very long shelf life. The recommended usage is 12 weeks of use, but you'll have this product much longer than that. So it'll last you though the 12 weeks and the recovery time were you let your bodies tolerance to the supplement wear off.
+Taste. I've had some other GNC brands that taste like your drinking sawdust. This stuff tastes very tart, and if its your first time you mayyyyy not enjoy it, but it still tastes good. Don't get Grape or "orange" though, they are horrid.
+Very reasonable serving. One scoop, little bit of water, drink quick, all done. Other pre-workout supplements i've taken have had a 11oz requirement of water, and it still tasted nasty.
+Doesn't last that long in your system, if you follow the label closely.

Cons:
-First time, you'll feel very jittery.This stuff has a LOT of caffeine in it, so you're first time may not be a very pleasant experience. DO NOT take the full scoop. Follow the directions, take 1/2 to 1/4 a scoop and build a tolerance before taking a full scoop.
-Taking more than the recommended amount isn't pleasant. Just like above, lots of caffeine, so more than recommended can make you feel very jittery.
-Taste. This is a plus & minus. The taste is good, but its also very tart. So, bottoms up and drink fast.
-Before week 12, you'll notice the effects not lasting as long/harder to gain. Because your body will build a tolerance to this supplement you'll notice that nearing week 12, you just don't get the same results and will have to up the dosage.

Tips and Concerns
+Drink LOOOOOOOOOOTS of water. You will not flush it out of your system if you drink to much. Actually, I recommend drinking 1~2 glasses before taking it to make sure you're not taking it while dehydrated. While its active in your system, don't just work out and not drink. Thats horribly stupid. Drink, drink, and drink lots of water. If you don't, you'll feel very, very bad because your pretty much starving your body while its in overdrive. If you drink water, you'll feel great during and after you won't notice (hardly) any side effects or drawbacks.
++READ THE LABEL. So many reviews are giving this product a horrible review because they didn't read the damn label. This isn't some recreational cool-aide mix. Its meant for serious athletes and people who want to most from their routines. It is a supplement that has many ingredients and the company does a very good job with posting warnings, recommendations, ingredients and instructions on their container. I recommend asking your doctor if this is right for you, any person who is taking a supplement with this many instructions on it should probably heed the part where it tells them to consult a physician. This isn't a Itunes license agreement, its a supplement that can positively or negatively effect your body. So read, understand and follow the labeling.
+++Don't just switch to another supplement after 12 weeks of taking this one. Fully let your body acclimate to not having the stimulant in your system and then start taking it again after the recommended resting period.

Overall:
This is a great product by BSN and i've been a very big fan of NO-Xplode and Cellmass for years now. They do what they advertise, the cost is very reasonable and I've never had any issues with them. Just remember, this product is a relatively strong stimulant and as such you should research it strongly/consult a physician before putting it in your body.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it!, January 18, 2011
Don't buy this garbage! I took it as prescribed and became dizzy, lightheaded and felt nautious. In addition, there was ZERO energy spike and it just left me feeling sick! What a waste of money and the taste is downright awful! I know people react to products differently and I was exrtemely disappointed!

3.0 out of 5 stars 50/50, August 29, 2011
Up until recently, this was the first and only pre-workout supplement I had taken. After about a year of inactivity on the fitness scene, I began to adopt a more serious perspective on weight lifting. Being a loyalist, N.O. Xplode was my go-to supplement. I'm a slender guy, so lean mass was my main objective. In combination with a high protein diet, I had increased my weight from 145 to 165 within 2 months. N.O. Xplode definitely helped me achieve this gain. Although I was working out modestly (just 5 sets of 10 in curls one day, then pushups on my off-days alternating on a daily basis) the benefits of this product were obvious. My pumps were great and my biceps had noticably increased in size. Despite the effectiveness of this product, I had trouble getting used to one adverse effect: the laxative properties.

I took this product first thing in the morning on non-workout days, and approximately 15 minutes prior to working out. I followed instructions on food intake, but still noticed a significant amount of gastrointestinal discomfort. As mentioned in another review, I would often feel the need to run to the restroom at the most inopportune times, like immediately after ingesting this powder. In addition, one does build a tolerance to this product. I started with 1 1/2 scoops, then had to increase to 2 1/2 eventually.

These areas are where my only complaints lie. It's a great supplement with regards to taste, decent price, and overall good physical results. But the long-term negative side effects inspire one to question whether or not this supplement is worth it.

I am currently in search of a new pre-workout in place of this one. The one I'm currently taking is kind of an off brand that I purchased at GNC. I can't find anything about it online. It works decently, but it's no N.O. Xplode. If anyone has any recommendations on pre-workouts with a minimal diarrhea factor but otherwise similar to N.O. Xplode, I would greatly appreciate them.

Happy Lifting

4.0 out of 5 stars This is an interesting product., December 22, 2007
Caveat: This is NOT a steroid, or a protein shake, or anything like that. The description is somewhat misleading; this product does NOT directly increase your muscle mass. What it does do: Give you energy, so you feel like working out/continuing to work out; Keeps your muscles from getting fatigued as fast, so you're able to do a more rigorous workout; and supplement your system with certain vitamins and minerals conducive to proper blood flow and muscle development (when taken in conjunction with a good workout).

That said, the instructions say not to eat beforehand. I consider that a bad idea. I know it helps absorption, but it also makes your stomach act up after a few hours. You really should not go without a balanced diet when using this. The other thing to keep in mind is that you should drink this roughly an hour before you start working out, to give your system a chance to absorb the stuff. Finally, after your workout is complete, make sure you rehydrate yourself.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous product, NOT recommended!, October 5, 2009
I can not stress this enough, read the label and all ingredients before using a product like this. NO Xplode uses some very dangerously high levels of some ingredients, and lots of ingredients that aren't even needed and may actually stop you from reaching your work out goals.

I used NO Xplode for almost a year, cycling it as suggested (3 months on, 1 month off). From the first time I took it I could feel it doing what it stated it would. At the gym I was very pumped up and found myself not getting tired like I would without it. It helped me stay focused.

I have been working out religiously for the past year while on NO Xplode, going nearly every single day. I eventually had to kick up the dosage to 3 scoops to get the same effect as 1 scoop did when I first started. I know this is normal, so it didn't bother me. But after a year, I felt like I was getting the results I expected. I was gaining a lot of muscle mass of course, and saw the weight I could lift getting much higher. But there was fat around my stomach that I just couldn't get rid of. Not a lot, mind you, but enoguh so that my six pack was not visible, and there was still a little grab of fat on my sides. That's when I started looking deeper into the supplements I was taking to try and figure out why.

What I found out shocked me. Maltodextrin. This has no use in this product except being used as filler. In fact, this is the single product responsible for me not being able to lose my extra fat. Look at the label, it is listed under "Other ingredients". It has NO use in this product. It is used as filler and STORES FAT.

The amount of magnesium in this product is unbelieveable. 150mg per scoop. That is 450mg if you use 3 scoops. This is way higher than what a normal adult should intake in A DAY. After taking NO Xplode for about 6 months, I found myself having to run to the bathroom every time I went to the gym, about 15 minutes after I got there. The reason? Magnesium is used by doctors to be a laxative.

Does this product work? Yes. Do I recommend it at all? No way. The maltodextrin and magnesium in the product alone should be enough to keep people away. It can be very dagerous. This review along with the review stating his liver enzymes were through the roof from this product should hopefully be enough warning for people. Oh, and their post workout product, Cellmass, is also packed full of maltodextrin.

So if you are working out like crazy and not getting the results you are expecting, it could be because of the supplements you are taking. There are plenty of alternative supplements out there that do not contain dangerously high levels of ingredients like maltodextrin and magnesium. Make sure you do your research before you purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets you amped for workouts, September 19, 2011
I take this about 30-45 minutes before a workout and can definitely see a surge in energy. This is my second time purchasing. I wouldn't buy anything that doesn't work twice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Observations after 2 years of NX, December 8, 2010
When I originally tried NO Xplode, it took about 3 uses before I felt any difference. But what a difference it was! I had more intense workouts, and more energy to work out longer. That was over 2 years ago and I was compelled enough to write a short review here on Amazon. I recently ordered some more and decided to update my old review.

I have now been using NX for over 2 years and I have a few observations to share.
1) I take 1-2 scoops before workouts only (I don't take the scoop a day as recommended) and the larger 2.25 lb size lasts about 2 months at 3-4 workouts per week. Now I can tell a big negative difference when I forget to take NX.
2) NX includes creatine, which needs to be taken regularly to be effective. Since I only use NX before I work out, I save some $$ by taking creatine separately each day. I substitute the NX for one dose of creatine on workout days. I think the combination of daily creatine and NX pre-workout provides the optimal short-term and long-term effects, while minimizing any unwanted side effects of NX (like those discussed below).
3) This stuff is full of caffiene, so if I take it before late-night workouts I will always have trouble getting to sleep afterwards. Some claim that the caffiene is the effective ingredient. I have taken caffiene pills instead of NX and there is nothing to compare. Like others, I am skeptical of "proprietary blend" but this stuff really works better than any other pre-workout suppliment I have ever found.
4) Both caffiene and creatine will dehydrate you so you need to drink plenty of water while taking either of these suppliments. I get a headache/dizziness about an hour after taking NX if I am not hydrated, and I can almost always get rid of these effects by drinking plenty of water over the following hour. I've heard others with similar complaints, so I wanted to share what works for me.

Lastly, of the flavors I've tried, my favorite is orange followed by lime, fruit punch, and raspberry. I didn't like the Rasberry flavor at all- it tasted like cough syrup.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Don't take it unless you're serious, man.", April 28, 2010
The first time I encountered NO-Xplode was in a GNC when I was looking at all the new supplements that had sprung up while I was busy getting out of shape. I'd read nothing about it, and asked the clerk what it was. He looked me up and down and said, "Don't take it unless you're serious, man." I wasn't serious at that time, so I didn't buy it.
A couple of years later, I had been training diligently for over a year and was looking at a short term membership at a new gym. I was only going to be in town for a month, so the owner gave me two options: $5 a day, or free 30-day membership if I bought more then $30 worth of supplements from their supplies. Option #2 sounded great, and I spotted a jar (tub? container?) of NO-Xplode (fruit punch flavor). "How about this stuff?" I asked. "Don't take it unless you're serious, man," he answered. So I bought it. They were right.
First: pay attention to the timing of the usage, 2 hours after meals and wait for the powder to fully dissolve and settle, it's a little carbonated and ignoring either of these conditions can cause some stomach problems. But it is the best pre-workout supplement I have ever tried, and I keep coming back to it. 3 months on, one off. It's worth the money, I call it my "Popeye Juice." Instant pump, great workouts, added stamina, and by golly, increased strength. I haven't tried the other flavors, but the fruit punch is very tasty, kind of like a sweet-tart. Non-hormonal, creatine enhanced, so drink lots of water while using it. I'm a fan.