5.0 out of 5 stars WRT54GL's older, more mature sibling. It's a good thing!
Published 20 months ago by Iago

3.0 out of 5 stars dd-wrt based wireless router
I am conflicted when it comes to this device.

Published 15 months ago by S. Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars dd-wrt based wireless router, April 4, 2013
This review is from: BUFFALO AirStation HighPower N300 Gigabit Wireless Router WZR-300HP (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am conflicted when it comes to this device.

For many of you familiar with dd-wrt, you can skip down to the next paragraph. For others of you, I will explain dd-wrt. dd-wrt is an open source firmware for routers(i.e. you can get it for free). A couple of years back, many of the routers didn't offer advanced networking features, so many power users started using dd-wrt to better protect their network. I'm not talking about MAC filtering or SSID masking. These are easily hacked and not considered a good precaution anymore. I am talking about port security/firewall settings, NAT, WPA-2/AES(pretty standard now), and other REAL security features. Modern routers have gotten much better at this. But many power users still prefer all that dd-wrt has to offer. I won't go into great detail as to all the dd-wrt features, but you can do a quick google search and ascertain the information. dd-wrt is somewhat complicated for the novice user. It requires a decent bit of knowledge beyond what the average lay person has. If you have a techie friend who can help you set this up, or if you consider yourself tech-savvy and want to learn how to have full-control of your home network, then this device is a good place to start.

That being said, this is not a dual-band router. 802.11ac with 2.4GHz and 5GHz dual-band capabilities is the current standard for power users. These features come with a $200 price tag, so many/most should defer to a 802.11n router with dual-band capability. 802.11n isn't really last gen imho. I consider it current gen. 802.11ac is more future gen. Considering 99.9% of wireless devices currently aren't capable of 802.11ac, 802.11n will give you the most bang for the buck. The additional price of the 802.11ac will buy you future-proofing with very little current-gen benefit. For most people, I would recommend a good 802.11n dual-band router.

So that brings me to the problem I have with this router. I don't see someone who is interested in dd-wrt settling for a single band router on a NEW purchase. Personally, ALL my wireless devices, except my PS3, can handle the 5GHz band. I'm talking tablets, smartphones, TVs, blu-ray players, and printer. Now if you don't have a DLNA set-up and don't do a lot of high-def streaming within your network, then you may not notice a drastic difference. But if you have a media server and stream high-def MKV video files with DTS audio to other devices on your network, then this router will not work for you.

So who is the target audience of such a device? I would say it is a budget-constrained network savvy user who values security over convenience. Or a novice user wanting to expand his networking knowledge. I would consider this device a low-end wireless router with a powerful open-source(free) firmware/operating system pre-installed. I'm not a marketing expert, but I would think this is a small group. Novice users generally want easy setup. Power users generally want more speed. But if you value security above all else but can't afford a faster router, then this is a good router for you. But know in advance, you are buying an outdated product that you will need to replace sooner rather than later.

Full disclosure...I am a networking professional by trade. I tried to write this review for all audiences. I do read your comments. If you have any questions or comments, please post and I will reply. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars WRT54GL's older, more mature sibling. It's a good thing!, November 18, 2012
Iago "trinity" (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Well, where to start. I've been meaning to decommission my old, D-Link DIR-655 router for a while now; it's been running fine for the past 3 years, but as of late, I've been having issues with it - constant disconnects, signal fluctuations, and degraded throughput. It's become a hassle to reboot this thing once every couple of days. I tried numerous other routers to replace D-Link, like Netgear and Linksys, but everyone had their own fare share of issues. I actually ran Netgear for a month, until it committed suicide, and I had to return it. For anyone looking to replace the good trusty WRT54GL with a newer technology router, know it's no small feat. Competition is scarce and mostly it's a hit or miss type of affair. Enter WZR-300HP! Comes preloaded with DD-WRT right out of the box. Performance has been great, much faster than my old D-Link! So my here's my list of pros and cons.

Pros:
* DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (07/09/12) std - build 19438
* Better wireless range and signal strength
* Atheros AR7242 rev 1.1 CPU clocked at 400 MHz
* 64 MB of RAM
* Gigabit LAN: 4 Ports
* Gigabit WAN: 1 Port
* Wall mounting hardware included
* WDS (Thanks to DD-WRT)
* AOSS
* DLNA
* Setup Assistant available for simplified router configuration.

Cons:
* Some features are only available with the original Buffalo firmware.
* Move Engine (QoS) button is useless; does not work under DD-WRT.
* DD-WRT maybe overkill for novice users (Buffalo firmware on CD).
* No auto update for DD-WRT (you'll have to check the site periodically).
* DD-WRT QoS is a bit complex for average user.
* Antenna design is questionable (looks flimsy/cheap plastic).
* Needs to be in a well-ventilated area or may overheat (runs a bit hot).
* Guest wireless? I haven't found a way to configure that yet.

Conclusion:
This is probably the best bang for your buck at the present time. Features, stability, range, and price, all work in favor for this router. I highly recommended.

Update:
NAT Loopback option, under Security Tab DOES NOT WORK.

To enable NAT Loopback, save the following as a FIREWALL script in the COMMANDS section of the router config:

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o br0 -s 192.168.x.0/24 -d 192.168.x.0/24 -j MASQUERADE

Make sure to replace the 'x' in the IP's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent penetration, range, and stability -- even through thick walls, May 18, 2013
After studying many reviews, I went with the Buffalo because it promised good penetration through masonry. I live in an old adobe house, 14-inch thick mud-brick internal walls and 2000 square feet, and most routers give limited results.

I have had the Buffalo for several months now and am very pleased with its performance. I now get almost as strong a signal at the back of the house (through multiple thick walls) as I did in the same room as the previous router (a Motorola Surfboard). And as for range, I just tried it at the back of the garden, a distance of over 50 yards, and got 13mbps and smooth NetFlix streaming!

The stability is very laudable too -- we get little power interruptions in storm season, and I typically had to reset the Surfboard anytime there was a power blip. The Buffalo is rock-solid through power downs -- a nice change.

The setup was not quite "plug and play", the directions a bit confusing, but after not-quite-an-hour of fiddling I was able to get it to recognize what I wanted. Set aside a bit of time and patience for the setup.

As far as the technical features it is over-featured for what I need -- all I need to be able to do is set port forwarding for gaming, and that at least is straightforward and the controls responsive.

It works well with the Arris cable modem I got from Comcast -- 25 mbps downloads, not bad for the standard service.

All in all, I am very pleased with this Buffalo router. I admit I had never heard of the company before, but this unit is so powerful and stable that I am now loyal to the brand and would recommend it to anyone who is willing to invest a bit of time to get it set up.

UPDATE (1/6/14)

More than six months of constant use after the review above and I am still very pleased with this router.

Over the holiday we ended up with the router on the same power strip as the Christmas tree, so it got switched off every night. Each time it was powered back up it was active in less than a minute, and there has been no drift on the settings. As mentioned, I have had problems with having to reset other routers after power interruptions.

I am pleased and impressed with the stability of this unit.

UPDATE (03/22/14)

The router has been in service for one year now. Zero problems, and I've never had to reset it. I wish all electronics might be this stable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wireless Access Point, November 5, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my second Buffalo AirStation and I'm very impressed with the price, speed, features and stability of this unit.

Since it comes with DD-WRT already built-in, the access point is very configurable and has many features you can't get with other access points. I used my second AirStation to set up a Bridge that extends my wireless network to other parts of the house and back yard. I could never do that with my old LinkSys routers. I also like the VPN feature for securely accessing my home network while I'm away.

When I was researching routers before buying my first N300, I saw that the Airstation had significantly more RAM and flash memory as well as a higher clock speed from other routers and came with DD-WRT already built in. DD-WRT can be installed on other brands of routers, but knowing it's going to work out of the box is a huge plus for me.

I've had zero problems with either of my AirStation N300 routers and recommend them to my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great single band router, December 27, 2012
I got this for my grandparents, they needed a network router, and this was on sale for $40, for an open source DDWRT router this thing is great, super easy for DDWRT users to setup, range is great and price was nice.

I would consider a higher dual band buffalo DDWRT router for my setup once my cisco 400N craps out.

The NAT did not work out of the box in the version of the firmware this router had, but after some goggling it was an easy command fix. There is a know problem with network translation, which should be addressed in the next few DDWRT releases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Router for Open Source Firmware, December 15, 2012
I bought this router because it came out of the box with DD-WRT which I wanted in order to support some more advanced features like VLANs, DNSMasq, and advanced routing rules. For the price you get features found on enterprise class switches/routers that cost more than 10x this router. My only disappointment is that DD-WRT DOES NOT support port based VLANs on this router which is using an Atheros wireless chip, in only supports VLAN Tagging - which threw me since I assumed it then must support VLANs, which it does via WiFi but not port-based. After some research I decided to move over to OpenWRT which was a very easy upgrade directly from the DD-WRT command line and then I had port-based VLANS and every other feature I could imagine. I could even reassign the functions of the buttons and the many LEDs on the box to support my custom configuration.

With OPenWRT on the router I have been very, VERY impressed with what this little device can do. Its like a whole enterprise class network in a single box!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, December 30, 2013
Scott Dalbey (Park River, ND USA) - See all my reviews
These Buffalo routers are dependable and almost indistructable. The price is great for the products. Range is reasonable compared to other routers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great router!, December 26, 2013
I have two Buffalo routers. I bought this one to be the main router on the second floor with a bridge on the first floor. Speed is fast! DD-WRT is a plus. Setting the router up to be a bridge was easy using Buffalo's YouTube channel, otherwise it may be a little difficult for beginners. My next upgrade will definitely be a Buffalo router!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Router, December 11, 2013
Great machine. I've had a few Buffalo devices. This one is as rock solid as the prior. Great speed, great radio power. Easy to configure. Stays up for months at a time with no issues. Really only gets restarted in extended power outages if they exceed the UPS capacity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid product at this price point for those who don't need a dual band router, December 8, 2013
ES "FlyGuy" (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
Read quite a few reviews before settling in on this model. I did not need any high bandwidth at short distances (everything needing this was a wired connection already) so the 5 Ghz wasn't really going to help me much. Stuck with the 2.4 Ghz on this model. Set up was easy and the interface is super. It comes out of the box set up to run at 130 Mps so you need to reconfigure it to run at 300. Doing this kicks it into dual mode and takes up more channels. In my case, I got worse performance in this mode due to interference on certain channels. Use inSSIDer to see who is transmitting on what channels in your area - if you are able to run the wider channel spread. For me, too many neighbors and adjacent frequencies. Kept getting slow downs. Reset back to 130, settled in between the two pesky competing routers and have been getting good results ever since. It is a solid router and a huge step up from my old Lynksis running G at 56

Rate and Discover Movies