Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Buffalo AirStation HighPower N600 Gigabit Dual Band Open Source DD-WRT Wireless Router (WZR-600DHP)
Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 20, 2013
I've been a big fan of Buffalo, who produces a huge selection of products in Japan, and starting to have a larger presence in the US. I actually bought my first WZR-600DHP in Japan when I just started getting into DD-WRT. Previously all my routers had been Netgear, but with my expanding needs for a more powerful router, the built-in convenience of the DD-WRT in the Buffalo makes this an easy choice.

DD-WRT
If you are unfamiliar with this software, it is an open router interface that can be installed on compatible routers by "flashing" the router's original firmware. DD-WRT opens up powerful functionality of your router to do some pretty amazing things. My personal objective with DD-WRT was to setup a VPN for private web browsing and obtaining access to location specific online media. (Some of you may be aware of the limitations of Netflix and Hulu in certain regions...well, this is your solution to that problem!) Thru a tremendous wealth of information on forums and wiki pages, I was able to build 2 types of VPN server on this router (PPTP and OpenVPN). I am extremely happy with the results! In a way this is a plug for DD-WRT, mostly because Buffalo has embraced this open standard as it's core router engine. Here are several of the features that I found particularly useful:

1. Dynamic DNS: Perodically checks your external (public) IP address and updates various services to keep alive any free dns acounts you may have. I personally use no-ip.org which is free, easy to update and has a nice looking domain name. The one glaring exception is dyndns.com, previously one of the most popular services, which has stopped allowing automatic updates, now making it difficult to use.

2. USB/Network Attached Storage(NAS): You can plug in a USB flash drive or hard drive and make it accessible anywhere on your network. Thru built-in SAMBA support, you can access the device thru windows like a network drive. Very nice feature indeed.

3. USB/Printer Server: Have an old USB printer without ethernet support? You can attach it to the router and make it accessible to all network devices.

4. VPN (PPTP or OpenVPN): THIS is why I got interested in DD-WRT in the first place! You can setup your own personal VPN server with great ease. Since it running on your router, it is ON 24/7 without need for an additional computer. Used in conjunction with Dynamic DNS, you never have to worry about what your external IP address is! I recommend PPTP if you are new to VPNs, it is fast and sufficiently secure (but not 100% impenetrable). If you're an advanced user with some networking understanding you can setup OpenVPN which allows the strongest encryption available, virtually 100% secure. However, OpenVPN takes some work to setup properly. What can you do with VPNs:
a) Make your internet traffic appear to originate from another location.
This is particularly useful for getting around media streaming sites (Netflix, Hulu and one other that rhymes with Bamazon) which do not allow streaming beyond country borders. You can try signing up for Public VPNs to do this, but the streaming sites track down Public sites and block access from them, rendering them useless. You need a Private VPN to get around that. Mine is setup in Japan where I have accounts, and I can stream to anywhere in the world I have internet access. Clearly a handy feature for international travelers who pay for online content!
b) Establish secure connections around company firewalls and public networks.
Does your company block certain websites, forbid certain words in searches? Are you afraid to use public networks at Starbuck for mail and transactions because you don't know who else is sniffing on the network? Once you signin to your VPN, all traffic between your device and your home VPN server is encrypted. That is, network administrators and other rouge users on the network cannot peak into your web browsing. So browse that network with confidence!
c) Use it with any device that supports VPNs.
That includes PCs/Laptops, iPhones/iPads. PPTP is natively supported on Windows 7/8, iOS, MacOS, so setup is a breeze!
d) VoIP?
One area that I would eventually like to explore is the use of VoIP phones which would allow you to connect an iPhone to your home phone so that you can receive home phone calls on your iphone. With VPNs this is possible, but I still have yet to explore. (There are blogs on the internet about setting this up.)

Wireless
Supports 2 bands of Wireless-N traffic. This is extremely useful for load balancing your wireless devices and ensuring the best antenna signal given device placement. Remember that the wireless bandwidth is not limit-less, so this router essentially doubles that bandwidth.

Gigabit
Not much to say about this feature other than it's fast!

CONS
Really don't have much bad to say about this. I've been using 2 of them (one for testing and one for production) for about 4 months now in various configurations with very few issues. However, I will say that the base plate is not particularly sturdy. I ended up mounting it flat on my wall, as the screw holes conveniently lineup to outlet base plate holes! I can't imagine that's co-incidental. I posted a picture of it under customer photos. It seems much sturdier in that configuration, slides up and off the bracket for accessing behind the unit.

Overall, this is a great router that allows users to really make the most of their router by shipping with DD-WRT pre-installed. I highly recommend it!

UPDATE 12/29/2013:
I'm still so pleased with the performance and functionality, I've now bought 4 of these routers to handle multiple sites.

The most helpful critical review seems to have had issues with starting and stopping his wireless connection. He also restarts his router on a daily basis. I wonder if he has a defective router as my router in Japan has been on 24-7 for 6 months without a hitch. His last comment was more than 1 year ago too, so maybe there was an manufacturing improvement (although I use the same firmware version he does.) I use the VPN on it daily, and the only times I go into the administration pages are to copy the settings to my new routers. Honestly, these routers are stable as a rock.

UPDATE 2/21/2014:
Just in case it's not clear from my review, the router is PRE-INSTALLED with DD-WRT. You just have to turn on the option to boot into that configuration. Very simple to use, no messing around with flashing like other routers.

Feel free to leave a comment/question, as I'm happy to respond. Thank you.
review image
2020 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Buffalo's AirStation High-power N600 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router WZR-600DHP replaces the previous generation model WZR-HP-AG300H. Buffalo uses a factory customized DD-WRT firmware on this product and also supports community based DD-WRT which you can tweak to your heart's content.

The pre-installed factory customized DD-WRT firmware is almost like the community developed DD-WRT with some added goodies for simplifying the configuration process which I found very useful. The factory DD-WRT firmware has support for USB/NAS and SAMBA file sharing modules which have the USB `auto-mounting' of attached NTFS drives and sharing the same on your wired and wireless network from this router.

It was several years ago when I first attempted to get Belkin Share Max N300 Wireless N Router to do the same Automatic USB drive mounting and I found it super complex with DD-WRT and I am happy to see that Buffalo's implementation of Core USB drive support for NTFS attached drives is excellent and there is no need to tweak the factory firmware to achieve this feat -very good news!

The SAMBA performance is in par with most other routers that I have come across and works very well with HD videos and photos. The auto mounting feature makes it extremely easy for non-tech savvy users to get access to their USB attached drives connected to the router.

Having dual Wireless Radios (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) in a router these days are very useful indeed, the heavily used 2.4 GHz bands due to multiple routers in your neighborhood could severely cause interference thereby causing packet retries and reduced throughputs. Not to mention interference from Microwave devices, baby monitors and host of other radio frequency interferences from cordless phones etc;

Having said, Buffalo's WZR-600DHP has two Qualcomm Atheros based radios that are capable of driving the two independent Wi-Fi radios with channel widths were seen to be Dynamic (20/40 MHz), Turbo (40 MHz), Full (20 MHz) For tech savvy users let me share with you that `Ath0' is the 2.4GHz radio and `ath1' is the 5GHz radios. If you create a Virtual AP for 2.4GHz or 5GHz radio the VAPs will be labeled `ath0.1' and `ath1.1' respectively.

The Dynamic (20/40 MHz) mode of operation proved the best in my tests which has broader compatibility with various wireless NICs. Set the wireless frequency to `AUTO' and let the router decide which is best in your environment. The 5GHz band's range is pretty good compared to most of the routers with this technology. (Remember in order to use the 5Ghz band you need compatible NIC cards on your Laptop or any other networking devices that connect to this router)

The 5GHz band was not intended to be used in long distances but for short distances (15 feet or less) I found my laptop and other 802.11n devices maintained consistent 300+Mbps link. The dual antennae can be twisted and tuned to achieve the best performance in a given environment. Place the router where you intend to keep it permanently and slightly adjust the antennae till you obtain optimal results. The 2.4 GHz radio has very good range in my single story 1350 SqFt average home and maintains 130Mbps throughout the house - impressive indeed.

PROS
[+] DD-WRT supported Router
[+] Very FAST GUI response
[+] Secure shell access for tech savvy users
[+] Very good range both in 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands
[+] USB & NTFS based Network attached Storage support
[+] Very low power consumption and barely gets warm.

CONS
[-] (SEE EDIT NOV 30, 2012)
[-] The Router's base attachment seems flimsy and falls out too easily

There are no glaring issues seen and the packaging is just perfect for this tiny shinny router which is priced right and performs very well. At this current time there are no firmware updates available for me to try but when the router functions perfectly (except for one issue) why do you really need a firmware update?

Buffalo has delivered an excellent DD-WRT based dual band router and I am very pleased with this router. I am sure it will be a winner. I can surely recommend this to anyone who is looking for a reliable Wireless N dual band router with USB based NTFS attached NAS support.

EDIT: OCT 01, 2012 --- (Loses one star!)
==================

It is close to about a week now I have been using this product and I find that while it still *does* work but at times it does slows speeds down wherein HD streams tends to suffer time to time. I cannot seem to isolate what the issue is.

EDIT NOV 30, 2012 --- Little improvement but still 3 Star product!
==================
BUFFALO silently released a new DD-WRT firmware update for this product and upped the level from v24sp2-19438 to v24sp2-20180. Now the "AOSS" button can be used to turn the Wi-Fi ON/OFF also if you schedule to automatically reboot every day you can now turn the Wi-Fi OFF and turn the Wi-Fi ON demand! (Thank you Buffalo! Firmware developers) (See comments to download the firmware)

Having said, v24sp2-20180 still has issues. I think BUFFALO forgot to tweak the Wi-Fi MultiMedia (WMM) settings as the data rate suffers from time to time especially when watching live TV stream for example.

The "User friendly" firmware has the Movie engine but that firmware is buggy in other ways and does not have other tweak-able features that can be found in DD-WRT firmware.

My good old Belkin Share Max N300 Wireless N Router which used to maintain 300Mbps connection all day all week all month despite using 2.4Ghz bandwidth (150+150 Dual Streams). This router while it does operate in the less congested 5 GHz band but the poor range (less than 15-20 feet) makes it unusable. I do understand the limitations of 5 Ghz band and my expectations are realistic. I just want the connections to be stable for extended periods of time. The 2.4Ghz band works but I cannot sustain anything greater than 130 Mbps in my house and it is useless for HD streaming on my TV. Simply switch on the microwave and my TV video freezes!

The AOSS button which can be used to turn Wi-Fi ON/OFF does not work (I reported this to Buffalo techsupport) I was told that this being a new product no new firmware updates are available as of yet and my request was forwarded to engineering.

With all these issues bothering me I lowered the total rating down and until new firmware updates come out which addresses some of the issues experienced by me and other users of the product this device is going into the box and sitting there till next firmware comes out for testing.

Hence about 3 stars for this product. If you have any questions, please feel free to comment and I will try to answer them to best of my knowledge.

Cheers!
1010 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2013
I find some of the reviews on Amazon misleading. Someone who buys this router is aware that setting up a router is... setting up a router. Buy a MacBook Pro and an Apple Airport if you want it super easy(my primary computer is a Macbook Pro). If you have any idea of how to follow instructions you should be fine with this router. The range of this router is amazing. I live in a 20 story apartment building and reside on the 15th floor. My laptop gets a good signal from this router on the first floor right outside the building. I have no lack of coverage in my 1500 square foot condo and I am running 9+ devices from this router. I was considering a Cisco Linksys yet for the same price it had a limited feature set so I took a chance with Buffalo, a company based in Austin, TX and was not disappointed. As long as you possess good reading comprehension and have the patience and aptitude to follow instructions, you should be just fine.
44 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2013
I just moved from Seattle to Brooklyn a month ago. I never experienced issues with wifi signal back in Seattle. I figure the population is less dense so there's less interference from other networks and the buildings are newer lacking old layers of lead paint or metal infested plaster to block wifi signals.

In Brooklyn, there are easily 20 wifi networks within range of my adapter. Plus, I learned that my apartment walls are filled with plaster and the entire north wall of my apartment is brick. Signal quality with my apartment's existing Belkin router started to degraded heavily only 20 or so feet away from the router.

I tried for weeks to try and improve the signal. Placing the router in different locations in different positions. Experimenting with different channels and settings to no avail.

Finally, having great experiences with Buffalo routers in the past, I decided to get the N600.

Unlike other reviews, I found basic setup to be simple. Even easier than many other routers because you don't need to install software from a CD onto your computer. Just plug the router in, login with the default information, go through a setup wizard to set SSID and key, and you're done.

After I completed the basic setup, I was able to use the amazingly flexible DD-WRT firmware included with the router to increase the TX power and make a few other tweaks to improve reception. Those tweaks plus the substantial antennas have solved my Internet woes in my apartment. It's now possible to get a stable Internet connection on the other side of the apartment, 50-60 ft away.

I highly recommend it to users of all levels of experience, particularly if you are in a situation where signal strength is a challenge.
on September 10, 2013
I have used a Linksys WRT54GL since 2007 but it oddly has stopped working on higher than channel 8, and all of my neighbors are on 1-6. I wanted an N router anyway, so I figured this was my excuse. I did my research, decided this was a great choice as it's Buffalo, shipped with ddwrt, has external antennas.

I'll start with the signal first... My old router (WRT54GL) threw a signal out to the back yard strong enough to reliably sit at my picnic table and use my tablet. Not super strong, probably slow, but worked. Very rarely would the signal entirely disappear, and if it did, I could just reposition myself a bit and it'd be fine. The new Buffalo router the signal is very weak in the same spot, and completely unusable. In fact I put the Buffalo in the exact same spot my WRT54GL was (on top of an entertainment center) and put the WRT54GL on my desk (which has the entertainment center between me and the router, with stereo equipment etc) and the WRT54GL STILL covers the back yard better than the new router does. This is all on 2.4ghz, I'm not going to discuss how useless 5ghz is, but that doesn't have anything specific to do with this router. I've tried tweaking the antennas in various positions, directions, etc. Even though they're positionable I have seen nearly zero change in the signal based on their position. I set up my tablet running a wifi analyzer (to see signal strength graphs) and VNC'ed into it and sat in the house and twiddled the antennas while I watched the results. Very little difference in any position, so they're basically omni. The positioning of them is just for looks. I am pondering putting higher gain external antennas on the thing, but modifying the hardware isn't something I really wanted to do.

Software... I left this for last because it's more easily fixed than the poor antennas/output. The shipped ddwrt was a mess. I've used ddwrt on my WRT54GL for years, so I literally set it up exactly the same way as the old router, had a browser tab open in two monitors, different IPs etc of course. The Buffalo kept just falling off the network and I had to reset it to get it back. I'm not sure what I did different finally, but at some point it worked, booted up with the correct config, and was working fine. Wifi, lan etc, working. Great! A few hours later, wifi, lan, still fine.. but could not get into the web server, could not ping it, could not ssh into it etc.. Reboot, all fine again. Few hours later, web etc gone again. I've never seen this happen, and couldn't find anything on google about it, but after some more twiddling I gave up and put openwrt on it and it's been solid and stable since.

If I couldn't have gone with openwrt, this would have probably been shipped back. The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars is the fact that with openwrt it's a great router. The ddwrt they shipped with it is flat-out broken.
on January 11, 2016
Reviewing this almost 3 years after I initially bought it.

I'm a very tech-savvy guy, software engineer for a living. I always ran dd-wrt on the famous wrt54g routers (I had the TM one and a GL one). I also ran it on a cheapo linksys/cisco router that was basically the size of a pancake and about as cheap of a wireless router you could get.

I got this basically for anticipated signal strength increase, the ability to run both 5GHz and 2.4GHz wireless bands, higher bandwidth over 802.11n, and dd-wrt out of the box was also nice - eliminated the need to flash and look up the right firmware, compatible routers, etc.

Anyway 2+ years ago when I bought it, it delivered everything I wanted it to. I got better signal strength across my house, it had the wireless-N, and the 5GHz band which at the very least provides less interference with neighbors.

Still using it today, still works great. I've moved since then and I always tell the cable company to give me a modem only. I do not want their gateway all-in-one units or whatever wireless router they provide - they always have the most atrocious software, horrible performance, etc. They usually lack even basic things like QoS and static dhcp leases.

Not to mention a lot of companies - like Cox and Time Warner ding you for an extra $8/mo for "WiFI" which nearly costs you $100/year. Tell them to just give you a modem and then grab something like this and you're doing a lot better than what they provide and overcharge for.
on November 21, 2013
LOVE IT! I needed a new router, was told by two friends in IT that I should get one that supports 5 Ghz. I purchased this dual band one and send them both a link. One said "Should be great!" the other responded "Oh no, you didn't buy a Buffalo!" as if it was the worst brand on Earth. Yes, the price was VERY low but I wanted to take a chance. Well, myself and one friend were right. This router setup in less than a couple minutes EASILY and with the included software I was up and running with two networks without a single snag! This unit has been in service for over a month now and the signal is great, both bands are visible to most devices and I could not be more pleased.
on April 10, 2013
I am using 2.4 GHz to reach corners block by walls and floors, and 5 GHz for others. Not that it matters much since my network speed is a blazing 6 Mb/s. I can relate to the comments about difficulty figuring out the interface but as a certified nerd I was able to get things going with the usual amount of hemming and hawing. Here are some notes that are already tainted by a bad memory.

- Left the CD in the box. Where is the challenge in that, and I don't trust 3rd party Windows driver and "helper" software.
- Used the supplied cable to attach a LAN port to my laptop's LAN port. (Doing this isolates the laptop because the router is not on the WAN yet.)
- Changed the user name and password (initial popup, also available on home page.)
- Chose names, SSIDs, and pass phrases for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless APs.
- First gotcha: You must hit the Apply button at the bottom of the screen for the settings to take effect.
- Unplugged the ethernet cable and tested wireless connectivity via 5 GHz.
- Took it upstairs and installed it in parallel with my failing D-Link DGL-4500.
- Confirmed that it can talk to the laptop (in one of those corners) at 5 GHz.
- Configured my Canon MX340 to talk to the 2.4 GHz AP. The Canon is also in a nasty corner.
- From the laptop, used the Canon IJ Network Tool to change the IP from 192.168.11.36 to 192.168.11.70.
- Second gotcha: You "just have to know" about that last step. Maybe it's in the docs somewhere but I am not a patient man. Some routers let you configure the DHCP server to assign permanent leases so things like printers stay put address-wise. This doesn't seem to, but I saw that it starts at address .2 and allows 64 DHCP clients. It should be safe to put things that need static addresses at .70 and higher without messing with the netmask.
- Sketched out Access Policies for things like "Ban Dale", "Ban X-Box", "Ban TV", "Go to Bed" (10pm-midnight), and "I thought I said Go to Bed" (midnight-6am). With shorter names of course, but not changing names to protect the guilty - right Jesse?
- Saw where to poke holes in the firewall for Dale's game servers.
- Adjusted the time zone and added the name of an NTP server so the clock would be right. I waited to do this after the router was up on the WAN; I don't know if it will be happy if you try to set the NTP server before.
- I know the DD-WRT supports inbound VPN but I have not tried to set that up yet. I am hoping that at least THAT is really complicated...
on October 23, 2013
The default version of DD-WRT that comes with this wireless router is okay, however, I was not able to SSH into it. It is a known bug with this particular version of DD-WRT. So, I flashed it to OpenWRT 12.09 ("Attitude Adjustment"), and it works great! I can now SSH into the wireless router and manage it via command line or via the web interface. Just be aware that you cannot flash this wireless router via the DD-WRT web interface because Buffalo has locked it down. Instead I was able to flash the device directly via telnet and running the mtd command.

I have had no disconnects and it has been rock solid the past few weeks without the need to reboot. The range is just as good as my trusty old Linksys54G wireless router. I get good signals upstairs and downstairs throughout my complex.
on December 30, 2015
Let me start off by saying I am not a tech person at all. We just switched from DSL to cable internet. Rather than pay our cable provider $5/mo for a router, I turned to Amazon. I want to thank everyone who left reviews for this router. I purchased it based on them! The cable guy just came out today to install everything. He seemed to have a difficult time getting the IP addresses to match, but I don't think that had anything to do with the router. I know it's just been a few hours, but so far, I really like it. Using the WIFI on my phone is super fast. I'm happy!