4.0 out of 5 stars Better than powerline
I've been using a powerline adapter to get ethernet to my slingbox and other A/V equipment, but powerline is very sensitive to anything and everything. So I started looking for an affordable wireless bridge. Here it is in the WCR-GN.

Published on November 6, 2010 by bqb

3.0 out of 5 stars Loses wi-fi connection with Apple iPhone
It works fine when connecting a laptop or a Nintendo Wii but the Apple iPhone won't keep its wi-fi connection. I've noticed other reviewers have had the same problem.
Published on January 29, 2011 by Garvin Gibbon

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than powerline, November 6, 2010
bqb (Southern CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BUFFALO AirStation N150 Wireless Router - WCR-GN (Personal Computers)

To be clear (since the packaging is not) this unit can be used as a standard access point and firewall, or as a bridge to connect to your existing wireless network and give you five ethernet ports in a remote location--a wireless switch. The box leaves you wondering if this unit is compatible with other brands of access points--it is.

I got the unit, plugged it in and configured it for bridging mode, and it connected to my D-Link DIR-625 wireless network with no problems (using 802.11n). It brings me much better and consistent throughput to my A/V equipment than did my four port powerline unit. In bridging mode the "WAN" ethernet port becomes a fifth switch port.

The web management interface is quirky and unrefined, but it gets the job done. When you make changes that cause the unit to reset, the screen usually says it will take about 20s. It really takes 1-2 minutes to settle down and stabilize, so don't get too impatient. The radio seems to have a more limited range than most, but it's acceptable for my purposes. It is a rather small unit, so can fit just about anywhere.

This unit can also act as a simple access point with a no-frills firewall, but I don't intend to use it that way and haven't tested it. What I did test was streaming my slingbox to my desktop while simultaneously watching an HD YouTube video streaming to my BluRay player. Both were running through the Buffalo in opposite directions. Pretty basic stuff, but I had to make sure it performed given the price. Neither had a hiccup, which is again far better than my old setup.

Lastly, in bridging mode it can also act as a wireless repeater to extend your existing wireless signal, or to add more SSIDs. I don't have a need for this and only tested it briefly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complicated setup, but packs a lot of functionality for the price, September 5, 2011
This device has loads of functionality in a very small footprint. But setting it up can be extremely frustrating!

I've been using it as a wireless bridge for a wired VOIP device for the past few weeks. My wifi network runs off a Linksys router, so I can confirm that the bridge mode does work with non-Buffalo routers. Here is how you set it up:
1. Power up the device with no LAN cables plugged in
2. If you already tried to set it up previously, reset the device first by holding the reset button until the Diag LED is lit. Release the reset button and wait till the Diag light goes off.
3. Connect [1] port of the device to Laptop (turn off wi-fi on the laptop first) using a LAN cable.
4. Open IE and go to 192.168.11.1 (try 192.168.11.100 if that doesn't work). Login with root/(blank password).
5. Click on switch operating mode to bridge. Wait for restart
6. Click on Wireless config. Click on WDS tab.
7. Click check-box to use WDS
8. Enter your existing network's SSID and click search. Enter key and click apply.
9. Unplug the LAN cable from your laptop, wait a few minutes, plug it back in. Try to access the internet.
10. If internet works on your laptop, you should be able to plug your media device to any port on this device for internet access

Pros and cons follow.

Pros:
1. Packs a lot of functionality in a very small size, while also looking good (though I usually prefer black to white)
2. Lowest priced wireless bridge I could find at the time of this writing

Cons:
1. Setup is terrible and the configuration UI is the worst I have seen bar none
2. Unreliable as a bridge for a VOIP (or other 'always on') application. I keep losing uplink momentarily about 10-15 minutes into a conversation and being forced to place the call again. It should work fine for applications such as video streaming or downloading where momentary loss of connectivity does not pose an issue.

In summary, I wouldn't recommend this device as a bridge for internet telephony or gaming. I think it should do fine for streaming audio/video and downloads.

For the price, this is an excellent value even just as a Wireless-N router. The bridge mode is an added bonus. Just be prepared to spend a few frustrating hours setting it up initially.

4.0 out of 5 stars works fine, straightforward setup, October 14, 2011
This router works just fine for me. I see no reason why it wouldn't work for any normal home use, but the configuration interface does require a MODEST amount of tech know-how. If you've ever installed Windows for yourself you'll probably get through this just fine. The main thing is throw away the CD that comes with it, plug in via a cable and just point your browser at 192.168.11.1. Login as "root" with no password, and there's your configuration setup (obviously, set a password first thing). I didn't try the wizard/automatic thing, as the bare config UI is quite sufficient, and surprisingly flexible for such an inexpensive device. It took me less than 5 minutes to setup the wireless network with logging, WPA2 Personal, DHCP reservations and port forwarding -- piece of cake. Our home network these days includes computers running Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows 7, plus a TiVo, an Android phone, and a Blackberry. All are working flawlessly with this router.

The one big "gotcha" I experienced and my only real complaint is it's only capable of using an 8 character root password. I'm sufficiently paranoid that I usually use passwords at least twice that long, so the first two times I set the password then couldn't log in and had to reset the thing before I thought about password length, and sure enough...

TLDR: for under $30 this router is a real steal. I just wish they'd upgrade the firmware to allow longer root passwords, or I'd have given 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value - If you are a Techie !, July 24, 2011
The software that comes with this will challenge even the most advanced user. This is a long, long way from "Plug & Play" However once set up, it works very well with excellent range. Quite a value when comparing with similar units. I used it to add an "N" band to my home network & extend the previously weak signal to my separate workshop about 50 feet from my house. Went from one to two bars & dropping signal on my Actiontec GT724WGR to a steady 4-5 bars. Pleased as punch at the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Loses wi-fi connection with Apple iPhone, January 29, 2011
Garvin Gibbon (Carmen San Diego) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A nightmare to configure if you value security., October 4, 2012
Kindle Customer (Davenport, IA United States) - See all my reviews
Initially I opened the box with a great deal of elation after having tried other devices to serve as a bridge to connect to a wireless WiMax 4G device. My implementation may be different from what others want to do, but before my review is dismissed I will add the following to keep your interest.

The device is connecting to a wireless router that is located in another area on one end and connecting to a non wireless laser printer via its copper ethernet interface.

Now that you are continuing to read this review I would like to explain my ordeal regarding the hardware and the software with a short and sweet review.

Hardware -
Great design!!!
Excellent implementation!!!

Router/Bridge Software -
Clunky yet functional if you have patience.
No encryption works very well and connects immediately. I found this option/feature worthless.
Does not play well with long encryption keys. I found it works well with 8 ASCII characters using WPA2-PSK AES.

CD Software -
*****Use the provided software initially if you want to configure the device as a bridge. I didn't and I suffered. It's not foolproof but it works seemingly better than the web interface.*****

Conclusion -
Fast/easy configuration using the following steps. (Less than 10 minutes for basic configuration)
Airstation -
Connect power.
Connect Ethernet cable to port 1 and to the PC/Mac
PC/Mac -
Set your network card to 192.168.11.200/24 or 192.168.11.100 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
CD -
Insert and proceed depending on your OS, the version displayed may be different.
Select Cable or ADSL Modem to configure the AirStation as a router.
Select WDS to configure the device as a Wireless bridge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price, easy & fast setup, December 15, 2011
Easy and fast setup! Received the Buffalo N150 Router at 6:30 PM and had it configured and up and running before 6:40 PM! I need / use it as a access point for a device that needs a wired connection at a remote location in our basement. For the price it seems to be a great router/access point that is also easy to setup.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gret little product, October 18, 2011
This is my 3rd router of this type that I am using as a local switch and AP. Works perfectly with my main Buffalo N300 router, though learning how to use these as a bridge took some digging. These are great also if you are on the road and happen to stay at places with wired but no wireless access.

4.0 out of 5 stars Set-up is a beast, but works great, July 16, 2011
To be clear, I consider myself extremely fluent with computers and setting up networks. This was by far the most confusing piece of equipment I've tried to set up. That is partly because I wanted to use this as a bridge and not as a router. The automated set-up utilities were useless. The online configuration screen is, of course, of its own design and not necessarily intuitive. I finally just followed the setup instructions for a manual setup and got it to work.

My application was using this to add a xerox copier/scanner to a wireless network. Once I got the router configured as a bridge, all I had to do was connect my copier to the router with a network cable, and it worked. For the price, this was a much better, more flexible option than running a wire or adding a port in the room would have been. I leave it on 24/7 and in the past month have had no issues with it at all. Hopefully it stays as a "set it and forget it" router.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well, instructions are horrible., April 1, 2011
The reason I purchased this product was because we were moving our entertainment center with all of our media to another wall where I wasn't going to be able to place the cable modem and my existing wireless router. Those stayed where they were. I also have media devices that were wired connections only. So, how was I going to connect these devices without extending CAT 6 cable all over the place? The Buffalo Technology N-Technology Wireless-N150 Router and Access Point WCR-GN (White) was the answer.

The device is very small and fit perfectly in a little space behind the TV where it was unseen and unobstrusive. Perfect. It synced with my existing network, has 4 ethernet plugs for my devices. Perfect. Has some level of encryption. Perfect.

However, it took me nearly and hour to configure the darn thing. Professionally, I'm an network engineer and this thing was so difficult to configure I almost threw it away. I can't imagine the difficulty someone might have who isn't familiar with the lingo. The software is not intuitive and extremely cumbersome. The nice thing is once it's up, I never have to touch it again. And it works like a charm.

BUFFALO AirStation N150 Wireless Router - WCR-GN