4.0 out of 5 stars Fast router, updated interface, read the manual
Published 10 months ago by Modern Blue Argonaut

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in attached drive.
Published 29 days ago by Rita Erickson

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast router, updated interface, read the manual, September 26, 2013
This review is from: BUFFALO AirStation Extreme AC 1750 Gigabit Simultaneous Dual Band Wireless Router (WZR-1750DHP) (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This router has a nice updated interface using tiles rather than a tree menu. Two things I liked most about this router is the ability to set individual controls for each device/computer and also schedule Internet time through the router rather than a desktop software program. I am able to turn off Internet access in my house at midnight, and turn it back on at 6:30 am. That keeps my kids from going on xbox all night. Also, I can block adult material from my daughters computer but allow unrestricted access on the rest. The speeds are very good and all devices connect and work properly whether upstairs or downstairs as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a winner!, September 14, 2013
Ok I feel really excited but this thing rocks. I wanted to extend from my wireless N to AC and I believe I made the right choice for the price/quality/speed/functionalities.

I got 2 of them off the Egg as I got some gift cards around so I ended up paying $150 for both.

First things first, I updated the firmware from 2.03 to 2.09 in order to have the latest. No issues there.

I set up one as a AP, the other one as a Wireless/Ethernet bridge. You just have to do the selection behind the router using the switch.

If you're using the AP mode, you'll access it using the 192.168.11.1 IP. If you are using the Bridge mode, the IP becomes 192.168.11.100.

These two routers basically are about 35 feet apart. The AP is connected to a switch on the second floor, the bridge connected to another switch on the first floor.

I set up the bridge to use 5GHz AC mode and I was good to go.

Beware though. I tried first the connection on a computer which had only a 10/100Mb Ethernet card and I was getting 9.6MB/s... this is normal. You need Gigabit Ethernet to see the difference.

As soon as I used the Gigabit Ethernet on another computer, speed went to 40MB/s with an average of 35MB/s. Not bad at all!

So why this router rather than another one?
1) it has a dual 800MHz CPU so it is fast
7) I get the same Internet speed than directly connected to the cable modem
8) 3 years warranty
9) USB 3.0 and 2.0
10)IPV6 compliant

Of course I got them a couple days ago so take that as my preliminary review.

So far so good, really pleased. When DD-WRT will be polished and working properly, I may end-up switching to it bit for now I don't have the need to upgrade.

Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast speeds, what more could you ask for, September 4, 2013
I bought the AC1750 to function as an access point replacing two Linksys E1200s that were not getting the job done. I have been a loyal Linksys customer for a while but have grown tired of sub-par support and, what I feel to be sub-par products lately. So, I tried out the Buffalo after reading some positive reviews of the product in some main stream publications. Other reviewers here are right when they say the setup is a little tricky, but I have only Linksys to compare this to so for me it felt different but not impossible. I have it configured as an access point, allowing another Verizon supplied modem/router to be the DHCP server. In total, it took me about 20 minutes to set it up. I am no pro, but after struggling so much with the Linksys routers I replaced, I have become quite quick at setting this configuration.

My first speed test, using a ethernet cable, returned 83Mb/s down and about 38Mb/s up. This is virtually no loss as I pay for 75/35 service and will get the same 83/38 plugged into the main Verizon router. The 5Ghz wireless gave me the same results as the wired, 83/38. When switching to the 2.4Ghz I did slow down a bit to about 40/25, but still not bad.

Overall, I am very pleased with the speed of this access point so far and would recommend this to anybody looking to upgrade their network.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Router, Poor NAS, September 30, 2013
Joel Schopp (Austin, TXStates) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The actual wireless router functionality of this is outstanding. It is fast, reliable, and generally works well. It is a bit of a pain to set up, but once it is set up it works absolutely great.

My complaint is with the ability to attach a usb drive and share it on the network is very poor. First, it only supports drives formatted with FAT32 or XFS. No support for NFTS, HFS+, EXT4, BTRFS, or many other formats you would think would be supported. Since XFS is the only sane choice, even if it is a little uncommon I decided to format the drive with XFS from the router. The format failed. Upgraded the firmware to 2.08, which said it had a bugfix for XFS formatting, still failed. So I drag the drive down to my laptop and format it with XFS there. Now the router recognizes the drive and the drive shows up on the network, but I am unable to connect to it from any computer anywhere using the user I set up. Very much a failure. Later upraded to firmware 2.10 and still doesn't work. As of this writing they are updating firmware quickly and fixing a lot of bugs. This may start to work in a later firmware.

I wish BUFFALO would sell this router with DD-WRT pre-installed like they do some of their other routers. Combine the reliability and ease of DD-WRT with a simple setup wizard and Buffalo could have an outstanding product.

If you own this router I'd suggest checking every couple weeks for new firmware to fix your problems. If you don't own this router I'd wait a month or two for the firmware team to fix enough bugs.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in attached drive., June 30, 2014
Rita Erickson (Northbrook, IL United States) - See all my reviews
The attached drive only supports xfs. If you don't know, that's Linux only. Ugh. So if you're a Windows user then you can't put your external drive full of media on this device. You have to format the drive as xfs while on the Buffalo, then re-copy everything over the network. Nor, presumably, would you want to backup to a network share through the Buffalo. If the router dies then you'd have to set up a Linux distro in order to access data on the drive. Who wants to do that!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best I've Seen., November 20, 2013
This is a FANTASTIC Router. I have been using a Cisco Linksys E3000 for several years, which was "state-of-the-art" when I first bought it, but this new Buffalo AC1750 is faster, easier to configure and has superior U.S. based tech support. My wireless internet speeds are now almost identical with a wired connection. I purchased it in conjunction with the Buffalo NAS. I was not able to configure the NAS' Cloud feature with the Linksys but it was very easy to do with the AirStation. The price at Amazon made it a no-brainer compared to any other model.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great hardware...firmware needs improvement, October 26, 2013
Buffalo AC 1750 is fantastic router hardware hamstrung by its firmware. As soon as DD-WRT is fully functional on the AC 1750, I'm quite sure it'll be the perfect router. Until that point, it seems to be hating life at my house due to my admittedly complex networking situation (2 long-range outdoor bridges to other houses, each with their own networks, not to mention the 15+ wired and wireless devices at my place).

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 Failures and going for 3rd Router (under warranty) in 9 Months, June 5, 2014
Bought this router 9 months ago.

First one did not work (right out of the box with security wide open). Spent an hour with Technical Support and they confirmed it is defective. Returned the product to the Retailer and got a new one.
Rating of Technical Support: 4.5 Star

Second one: It worked for 5 months and started dropping the connections once in a while (once in a week). The frequency went up. Once in a day to now the connection doesn't stay for more than a minute (on any computer).

Called Technical Support. He explained, there is nothing he can do. It is the problem with the signal conflict interfered by the house/stuff in the house/other equipment in the house/neighbors stuff blaw.. blaw.. blaw. I have told him, nothing changed in the house and the neighbors are far away (the signals of other routers are one or two). I have forced him to replace. Going for 3rd one. Outage - 2 weeks or more (they only ship after they receive the product). You have to pay shipping.
Rating of Technical support: 2

Summary: I have used Linksys-Cisco and Netgear in the past. The quality of Buffalo is very poor compared to others I have used. Definitely not recommended if some one is expecting reliability. Got to replace it with another reliable product.

3.0 out of 5 stars It works well, May 31, 2014
It's a decent router, but I don't find that the range is any better than my trusty old Linksys WRT54. I still have trouble with the signal in another room, just 25ft away, with the door open. This Buffalo router is much faster though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, May 9, 2014
Other than needing help from a friend that was a tech professional to set it up, it was flawless, I needed to have him turn down the power ( I'm not NASA), and help with encryption settings It has a advanced set up menu and shouldn't be purchased by a noob (new to wireless router set up.) My friend having advanced multiple degrees in computing commented it was a sweet set up. Yes, Travis it is. But only usable after your help.

Rate and Discover Movies