4.0 out of 5 stars Fast router, updated interface, read the manual
Published 15 months ago by Modern Blue Argonaut

I really wanted to like this router as it was the perfect balance between size, price, and features. After using it for about 3 months, I could not resolve many of the issues that I've been having with this router.... maybe it was a defective unit or maybe it was just a bad product.

Most, if not all, of my issues have to do with the firmware on this router...
Published 4 months ago by apickyconsumer

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast router, updated interface, read the manual, September 26, 2013
This review is from: BUFFALO AirStation Extreme AC 1750 Gigabit Simultaneous Dual Band Wireless Router (WZR-1750DHP) (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This router has a nice updated interface using tiles rather than a tree menu. Two things I liked most about this router is the ability to set individual controls for each device/computer and also schedule Internet time through the router rather than a desktop software program. I am able to turn off Internet access in my house at midnight, and turn it back on at 6:30 am. That keeps my kids from going on xbox all night. Also, I can block adult material from my daughters computer but allow unrestricted access on the rest. The speeds are very good and all devices connect and work properly whether upstairs or downstairs as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a winner!, September 14, 2013
Ok I feel really excited but this thing rocks. I wanted to extend from my wireless N to AC and I believe I made the right choice for the price/quality/speed/functionalities.

I got 2 of them off the Egg as I got some gift cards around so I ended up paying $150 for both.

First things first, I updated the firmware from 2.03 to 2.09 in order to have the latest. No issues there.

I set up one as a AP, the other one as a Wireless/Ethernet bridge. You just have to do the selection behind the router using the switch.

If you're using the AP mode, you'll access it using the 192.168.11.1 IP. If you are using the Bridge mode, the IP becomes 192.168.11.100.

These two routers basically are about 35 feet apart. The AP is connected to a switch on the second floor, the bridge connected to another switch on the first floor.

I set up the bridge to use 5GHz AC mode and I was good to go.

Beware though. I tried first the connection on a computer which had only a 10/100Mb Ethernet card and I was getting 9.6MB/s... this is normal. You need Gigabit Ethernet to see the difference.

As soon as I used the Gigabit Ethernet on another computer, speed went to 40MB/s with an average of 35MB/s. Not bad at all!

So why this router rather than another one?
1) it has a dual 800MHz CPU so it is fast
7) I get the same Internet speed than directly connected to the cable modem
8) 3 years warranty
9) USB 3.0 and 2.0
10)IPV6 compliant

Of course I got them a couple days ago so take that as my preliminary review.

So far so good, really pleased. When DD-WRT will be polished and working properly, I may end-up switching to it bit for now I don't have the need to upgrade.

Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Router, Poor NAS, September 30, 2013
Joel Schopp (Austin, TXStates) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The actual wireless router functionality of this is outstanding. It is fast, reliable, and generally works well. It is a bit of a pain to set up, but once it is set up it works absolutely great.

My complaint is with the ability to attach a usb drive and share it on the network is very poor. First, it only supports drives formatted with FAT32 or XFS. No support for NFTS, HFS+, EXT4, BTRFS, or many other formats you would think would be supported. Since XFS is the only sane choice, even if it is a little uncommon I decided to format the drive with XFS from the router. The format failed. Upgraded the firmware to 2.08, which said it had a bugfix for XFS formatting, still failed. So I drag the drive down to my laptop and format it with XFS there. Now the router recognizes the drive and the drive shows up on the network, but I am unable to connect to it from any computer anywhere using the user I set up. Very much a failure. Later upraded to firmware 2.10 and still doesn't work. As of this writing they are updating firmware quickly and fixing a lot of bugs. This may start to work in a later firmware.

I wish BUFFALO would sell this router with DD-WRT pre-installed like they do some of their other routers. Combine the reliability and ease of DD-WRT with a simple setup wizard and Buffalo could have an outstanding product.

If you own this router I'd suggest checking every couple weeks for new firmware to fix your problems. If you don't own this router I'd wait a month or two for the firmware team to fix enough bugs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast speeds, what more could you ask for, September 4, 2013
I bought the AC1750 to function as an access point replacing two Linksys E1200s that were not getting the job done. I have been a loyal Linksys customer for a while but have grown tired of sub-par support and, what I feel to be sub-par products lately. So, I tried out the Buffalo after reading some positive reviews of the product in some main stream publications. Other reviewers here are right when they say the setup is a little tricky, but I have only Linksys to compare this to so for me it felt different but not impossible. I have it configured as an access point, allowing another Verizon supplied modem/router to be the DHCP server. In total, it took me about 20 minutes to set it up. I am no pro, but after struggling so much with the Linksys routers I replaced, I have become quite quick at setting this configuration.

My first speed test, using a ethernet cable, returned 83Mb/s down and about 38Mb/s up. This is virtually no loss as I pay for 75/35 service and will get the same 83/38 plugged into the main Verizon router. The 5Ghz wireless gave me the same results as the wired, 83/38. When switching to the 2.4Ghz I did slow down a bit to about 40/25, but still not bad.

Overall, I am very pleased with the speed of this access point so far and would recommend this to anybody looking to upgrade their network.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looked promising, but was a disappointment! If you're having problems with this router, read on!, August 18, 2014
apickyconsumer (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews

Most, if not all, of my issues have to do with the firmware on this router. Wireless range is mediocre, which is understandable as it has no external antenna so I don't have any issues with that.

What I do have issues with are:

1. The internet connection wizard / setup is terrible and doesn't work 100%. I had to go through the setup (manual setup and via the wizard) half a dozen times to get it to connect only to resolve this issue by resetting BOTH the modem and the router and going manually setting up the connection.

2. QOS is useless on here. It doesn't seem to do anything except bog down the router.

3. It can't handle more than a few active devices at once otherwise it just gives up and everything slows to a crawl. Even with one or two devices, wifi speed consistency and signal quality varies dramatically. It's as if the router has its own mood.

4. Hardware seems okay, but it seems like a company like Buffalo has monkeys for their firmware development. Every version that is release "fixes" existing issues but introduces new issues. Buffalo's support forum isn't really helpful either (see 2.22 with QOS limiting bandwidth at 5Mbps as of this writing that wasn't there in the previous version). Can anyone say spaghetti code?

5. Almost every setting update to the router will make it reboot or drop your wifi connection for half a minute or more or longer.

6. You can't log into the admin panel if you forgot to logout in a previous session. The firmware will complain and say that someone else is already logged in. This annoyed me the most, whether it was intentional, an oversight, or a limitation of their implementation. You would have to wait about 5-10 minutes for the old session to expire before you can log back into the admin panel.

So how did I fix all of these issues? I ended swapping it out with another router and everything has been perfect so far, even with all half a dozen devices actively using the internet. My experience with this router had put Buffalotech on my do not buy list for any future products. Don't let the attractive price fool you as paying the extra $50 - $80 premium for a proven router will be worth the extra gray hair you'll get from dealing with this router.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best I've Seen., November 20, 2013
This is a FANTASTIC Router. I have been using a Cisco Linksys E3000 for several years, which was "state-of-the-art" when I first bought it, but this new Buffalo AC1750 is faster, easier to configure and has superior U.S. based tech support. My wireless internet speeds are now almost identical with a wired connection. I purchased it in conjunction with the Buffalo NAS. I was not able to configure the NAS' Cloud feature with the Linksys but it was very easy to do with the AirStation. The price at Amazon made it a no-brainer compared to any other model.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great hardware...firmware needs improvement, October 26, 2013
Buffalo AC 1750 is fantastic router hardware hamstrung by its firmware. As soon as DD-WRT is fully functional on the AC 1750, I'm quite sure it'll be the perfect router. Until that point, it seems to be hating life at my house due to my admittedly complex networking situation (2 long-range outdoor bridges to other houses, each with their own networks, not to mention the 15+ wired and wireless devices at my place).

5.0 out of 5 stars Sadly my Linksys 54G cannot handle the higher speeds that ..., July 3, 2014
David Post (Washington State) - See all my reviews
Sadly my Linksys 54G cannot handle the higher speeds that my internet now offers (100mbit fiber connection) and I had to upgrade. I tried some other similar products first, even ones that you could root and install dd-wrt, but those inevitably had stability issues and had to be rebooted multiple times with or without dd-wrt.

Now steps in Buffalo, this has run solidly for 6 months without a reboot needed.

Update:
Now into 9 months of ownership I wanted to add a USB drive for media storage. One issue the Buffalo AirStation has is it cannot mount NTFS partitions, the standard for Windows since the days of XP. The choice is FAT32 for up to 32Gb, then XFS (a linux file system) for drives larger than 32Gb.

My solution was to switch from the Buffalo AirStation firmware to DD-WRT instead, Buffalo informed me that doing this would void the warranty on the device, but since it has ran solid for 8 months I'm not worried. So far two weeks and no trouble, works great with my NTFS partition. The DD-WRT interface can be a little intimidating to people who aren't used to setting up networking equipment, but if you are coming from a Linksys 54G with DD-WRT you should feel right at home.

Another feature that appears to be missing on the Buffalo firmware is SSH access to the device, this greatly decreases it's usefulness for those that like to tinker and roll our own solutions. Again with DD-WRT firmware loaded you now have SSH access to the device.

With both these features you can then create custom scripts to run upon plugging in a device, e.g. starting up Transmission BitTorrent when the device gets mounted, and making sure it mounts to the correct partition, have it read the torrent directory, and start up. Useful if you don't want to run your external drive all the time but want it for the occasional new linux distribution release.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in attached drive., June 30, 2014
Rita Erickson (Northbrook, IL United States) - See all my reviews
The attached drive only supports xfs. If you don't know, that's Linux only. Ugh. So if you're a Windows user then you can't put your external drive full of media on this device. You have to format the drive as xfs while on the Buffalo, then re-copy everything over the network. Nor, presumably, would you want to backup to a network share through the Buffalo. If the router dies then you'd have to set up a Linux distro in order to access data on the drive. Who wants to do that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall, a great router; Ongoing review of my BUFFALO AirStation Extreme AC 1750, October 3, 2014
This will be an ongoing review. I'm going to add more to the review over time. I've had my router now for over a month now.I think one of the most important things I should stress is that reviews are always subjective. And that from reading reviews of computer hardware, why there are usually so many issues with customers using computer hardware they may not have enough experience making advanced configurations, especially in routers.If you don't have a basic understanding of computer networking, and a basic understanding of configuring networking devices (routers, switches, etc), then new networking device will not work as advertised.

First, the price. It was a good price. I was going to get the AC 1200. But when I already placed the order for the AC 1200, I just happened to the see the price for the AC 1750, and it was actually several dollars less. My very first order was for the N600 from Quantum Wireless. But, for some reason the o0rder was not sent, and I had the 2 Day Shipping option, as I needed the router ASAP I got my refund, but I never got ANY answer to why the order was never sent, even when I asked their customer support.

I chose Buffalo because I've read about their routers and I really liked them. I had not decided definitely that my next router was going to be a Buffalo (The AC 1750 is replacing my Linksys E2000 I've had since 2010). But, when I was doing the search, for what I wanted in a new router, the AC 17501 fit what I needed, and the most important..the price much less than comparable Linksys, Belkin and Netgear routers.

I had no problem flashing it to the current DD-WRT version. I thought about using the stock firmware a while before flashing DD-WRT, but I just couldn't wait...*laughing*. So far. I have only 2 "issues". I call them "issues" because they aren't something that would be a problem at all. One issue is that I haven't been able to get my HP 2510 printer and Seagate Backup Plus 2 TB External hard drive to work through the USB ports with DD-WRT installed. I didn't check to see if it would work while the stock firmware was still installed. The Simultaneous Dual Band work great. Now, I can use use my Android tablet on the N band without having to downgrading to a mixed NG band on a lower signal in order for my laptops to connect to the network. Now, I can run my laptops to run on the AC band.

UPDATE: 12/04/2014

Well, it took me a LONG time, but I THINK I've got it ok. The second part of my review has to do with my Internet connection. My review of my Internet connection was only partial because I was expecting a major upgrade during the time I got the router. My ISP, who is also my landline phone provider had been upgrading the underground cabling to fiber optic since the beginning of the year. I think about a month before I got the router(to 2 months at the most) the lines from the road had already been upgraded, so I was already getting a big increase in speed and bandwidth BEFORE I got the Buffalo. After I got the Buffalo, about a month or more later, the phone company came to do the final upgrade with FTTH (Fiber To The House) setup and changing out the gateway router.

Once that was done, everything has been great Everything was great UNTIL, I started having a problem with the IPTV setup. My plan is to move the 2 IPTV connections from the new gateway router to my Cisco SG200-18 Gigabit Smart Switch. I only want to do that since the Switch can handle it, plus have different subnets(subnetworks) to manage everything, so I can try to set up streaming and and forth from my computers to the IPTV set-top boxes. One box would alway loose the IP connection like after a 5-7 days. I had to keep restarting both the gateway router and the Buffalo router to fix the configuration, since the gateway router is running in Bridge Mode and the buffalo is handling the actual computer Internet connection access, and the phone company gateway only handles the IPTV connections. This had been going on for at leat a month Then somehow, it kind of came to me WHY the IPTV connections where dropping.

In the LAB settings section for the gateway router, the main settings are for configuring the DHCP service The DHCP service is what does the IP address management on a modem, switch, router, basically assigning an IP address to any device on the network. In a "simple" setup, there is usually one DHCP server assigning IP addresses., But a typical "not-so-simple" setup can have multiple DHCP servers. With the setup I have, there's one DHCP server on the gateway router for the IPTV access connections, which has one IP address and the DHCP server on the Buffalo router for the main Internet connection access has another IP address. What I was doing was DISABLING the DHCP server on the gateway router, which is a BEC 8920NE Multi-Service Gateway Router, thinking that the Buffalo router was going to handle the DHCP setup for both the main Internet access and the IPTV access. It would happen for a while, the set-top boxes would be picked up by the Buffalo, the set-top boxes would show that they were connected to the network. Then after a few days, it would show that it WAS NOT connected, the IP addresses that were originally assigned from the BEC were changed to IP addresses assigned by the Buffalo. Then, the full channel guide would not show or update as it was supposed to and the Caller ID stopped working through the TV. Well, after it occurred to me in a kind of a-ha moment, during the last reconfigure of the gateway router, I kept the DHCP server enabled setting on.

Well, so far, so good. No changes, no dropped connections. I don't know when I'm going to fully move the IPTV connections to the Cisco switch. I have the instructions for ot, plus the DD-WRT wiki pages for setting IPTV connections through DD-WRT. So far, no problems, no major problems with the Buffalo router. With the main DD-WRT firmware (I have v24-sp8-06/24/2014), you can overclock the router. I change it from 1200 MHZ to 1400 MHz to 1600 MHz, no problems. The only problem, that can be a minor or major problem, depending on how you view it, is that a power surge makes very..very easy to mess up the configuration. I don't really know what fixes it, but after restoring the saved configuration and if that doesnt work, I unplug the Cisco Switch uplink cable from the ETH 1 port of the Buffalo for a few seconds and plug it back in, the network settings either restore or update. Or I have to unplug the uplink cable from the WAN port of the gateway router and the switch uplink cable and the Buffalo router and turn it off. Then, I connect directly to the gateway router,let it configure, then, connect to the Buffalo and configure, then uplink back to the Cisco switch. So far, don't know what of all of that is what is working to restore. But so far, this is my only issue have od concern. Both routers are plugged into a good power suppressor. It's kinda funny to me because my Linksys E2000 that the Buffalo replaced could handle power surges no problem, it would be the old gateway router that would get messed up.

The Buffalo AC1750 is a great router. You just have TO KNOW how to use it. And if you don't have any beyond basic networking knowledge, it's a very hard task of working with it. I WOULD RECOMMEND using the Buffalo-installed DD-WRT firmware to get used to configuring a home/small business router before going to using the full version of DD-WRT.