Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Buffalo AirStation Extreme AC1750 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router (WZR-1750DHP)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on September 14, 2013
Ok I feel really excited but this thing rocks. I wanted to extend from my wireless N to AC and I believe I made the right choice for the price/quality/speed/functionalities.

I got 2 of them off the Egg as I got some gift cards around so I ended up paying $150 for both.

First things first, I updated the firmware from 2.03 to 2.09 in order to have the latest. No issues there.

I set up one as a AP, the other one as a Wireless/Ethernet bridge. You just have to do the selection behind the router using the switch.

If you're using the AP mode, you'll access it using the 192.168.11.1 IP. If you are using the Bridge mode, the IP becomes 192.168.11.100.

These two routers basically are about 35 feet apart. The AP is connected to a switch on the second floor, the bridge connected to another switch on the first floor.

I set up the bridge to use 5GHz AC mode and I was good to go.

Beware though. I tried first the connection on a computer which had only a 10/100Mb Ethernet card and I was getting 9.6MB/s... this is normal. You need Gigabit Ethernet to see the difference.

As soon as I used the Gigabit Ethernet on another computer, speed went to 40MB/s with an average of 35MB/s. Not bad at all!

So why this router rather than another one?
1) it has a dual 800MHz CPU so it is fast
7) I get the same Internet speed than directly connected to the cable modem
8) 3 years warranty
9) USB 3.0 and 2.0
10)IPV6 compliant

Of course I got them a couple days ago so take that as my preliminary review.

So far so good, really pleased. When DD-WRT will be polished and working properly, I may end-up switching to it bit for now I don't have the need to upgrade.

Enjoy!
review image
33 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The actual wireless router functionality of this is outstanding. It is fast, reliable, and generally works well. It is a bit of a pain to set up, but once it is set up it works absolutely great.

My complaint is with the ability to attach a usb drive and share it on the network is very poor. First, it only supports drives formatted with FAT32 or XFS. No support for NFTS, HFS+, EXT4, BTRFS, or many other formats you would think would be supported. Since XFS is the only sane choice, even if it is a little uncommon I decided to format the drive with XFS from the router. The format failed. Upgraded the firmware to 2.08, which said it had a bugfix for XFS formatting, still failed. So I drag the drive down to my laptop and format it with XFS there. Now the router recognizes the drive and the drive shows up on the network, but I am unable to connect to it from any computer anywhere using the user I set up. Very much a failure. Later upraded to firmware 2.10 and still doesn't work. As of this writing they are updating firmware quickly and fixing a lot of bugs. This may start to work in a later firmware.

I wish BUFFALO would sell this router with DD-WRT pre-installed like they do some of their other routers. Combine the reliability and ease of DD-WRT with a simple setup wizard and Buffalo could have an outstanding product.

If you own this router I'd suggest checking every couple weeks for new firmware to fix your problems. If you don't own this router I'd wait a month or two for the firmware team to fix enough bugs.
on November 20, 2013
This is a FANTASTIC Router. I have been using a Cisco Linksys E3000 for several years, which was "state-of-the-art" when I first bought it, but this new Buffalo AC1750 is faster, easier to configure and has superior U.S. based tech support. My wireless internet speeds are now almost identical with a wired connection. I purchased it in conjunction with the Buffalo NAS. I was not able to configure the NAS' Cloud feature with the Linksys but it was very easy to do with the AirStation. The price at Amazon made it a no-brainer compared to any other model.
on July 3, 2014
Sadly my Linksys 54G cannot handle the higher speeds that my internet now offers (100mbit fiber connection) and I had to upgrade. I tried some other similar products first, even ones that you could root and install dd-wrt, but those inevitably had stability issues and had to be rebooted multiple times with or without dd-wrt.

Now steps in Buffalo, this has run solidly for 6 months without a reboot needed.

Update:
Now into 9 months of ownership I wanted to add a USB drive for media storage. One issue the Buffalo AirStation has is it cannot mount NTFS partitions, the standard for Windows since the days of XP. The choice is FAT32 for up to 32Gb, then XFS (a linux file system) for drives larger than 32Gb.

My solution was to switch from the Buffalo AirStation firmware to DD-WRT instead, Buffalo informed me that doing this would void the warranty on the device, but since it has ran solid for 8 months I'm not worried. So far two weeks and no trouble, works great with my NTFS partition. The DD-WRT interface can be a little intimidating to people who aren't used to setting up networking equipment, but if you are coming from a Linksys 54G with DD-WRT you should feel right at home.

Another feature that appears to be missing on the Buffalo firmware is SSH access to the device, this greatly decreases it's usefulness for those that like to tinker and roll our own solutions. Again with DD-WRT firmware loaded you now have SSH access to the device.

With both these features you can then create custom scripts to run upon plugging in a device, e.g. starting up Transmission BitTorrent when the device gets mounted, and making sure it mounts to the correct partition, have it read the torrent directory, and start up. Useful if you don't want to run your external drive all the time but want it for the occasional new linux distribution release.
66 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2013
I bought the AC1750 to function as an access point replacing two Linksys E1200s that were not getting the job done. I have been a loyal Linksys customer for a while but have grown tired of sub-par support and, what I feel to be sub-par products lately. So, I tried out the Buffalo after reading some positive reviews of the product in some main stream publications. Other reviewers here are right when they say the setup is a little tricky, but I have only Linksys to compare this to so for me it felt different but not impossible. I have it configured as an access point, allowing another Verizon supplied modem/router to be the DHCP server. In total, it took me about 20 minutes to set it up. I am no pro, but after struggling so much with the Linksys routers I replaced, I have become quite quick at setting this configuration.

My first speed test, using a ethernet cable, returned 83Mb/s down and about 38Mb/s up. This is virtually no loss as I pay for 75/35 service and will get the same 83/38 plugged into the main Verizon router. The 5Ghz wireless gave me the same results as the wired, 83/38. When switching to the 2.4Ghz I did slow down a bit to about 40/25, but still not bad.

Overall, I am very pleased with the speed of this access point so far and would recommend this to anybody looking to upgrade their network.
on October 2, 2015
I bought this router to replace another router that kept having connection issues. Unfortunately, this router was even worse than our first one. It worked okay at first, but after a while (about a week or maybe two), it started dropping connections like crazy. I do like how it's really easy to set up, and it has a lot of configuration options out of the box.
on October 26, 2015
Didn't work for me. I had to return it. It kept logging out and would require someone to
type in the admin name and password almost everyday.
Also when both 5ghz and 2.4ghz frequencies were on. The 2.4ghz
connection would be substantially slower than my last router which
used that frequency. There's potential here because when it did work
and you are on the 5 ghz frequency, it was fast. But at the end of the
day, I wouldn't recommend this particual product. Also, I technically
received a wzr-1750DHPD instead of a wzr-1750DHP, which I didn't
notice until I tried to download the USB connection software. This
product may be better suited for someone with more networking
experience (though I typically can navigate my way through router
settings, this one just kept giving me problems. I felt it wasn't
worth fooling around with.)
VINE VOICEon August 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I want to temper this review with the fact that the product does work, and despite significantly frustrating configuration it has joined my home network as a useful and functional access point.

But let's start at the beginning.

What you get in the package: router, network cable, power cord, mounting screws, stands, quick start guide. You'll notice that you do not get any sort of product manual or instruction guide beyond the quick start.

For basic configuration where this is the one and only one router in your network, it's an easy and quick installation via the web interface, and like other Buffalo products you just connect to it via wi-fi or hard wire, hit the LAN IP, and follow the instructions. In my configuration, however, it was replacing another device as an access point in another room of the house and connected to the main router.

Immediately I had an issue with having no manual, because there were switches on the back of the device for access point / router, and "wb" that had no explanation on the quick start guide. Consulting the downloadable manual on Buffalo's website revealed that the switch was for access point and wireless bridge, however, there is nothing in the manual about configuration as an access point. I would have thought that a full manual would include the actual use of the product in that mode.

Alas. I was easily able to change the IP address to a different subnet to match my existing network, and then began the web configuration. The interface is incredibly buggy. Randomly the menu selections will change from what they are supposed to be to the word "undefined" and then back again. I noticed this when configuring with both IE and Chrome. It was random and I never figured out what was triggering it, but eventually was able to get the selections to show up correctly.

In the router/AP switch setting, you change between the two by pushing another button. There is no rear-indication that you've done anything except a network light on the front of the device goes on or off, and the router either disconnects the WAN port or reconnects it. I noticed that in both modes the hard wired and wireless connections had full internet access, but when in AP mode I could no longer manage the router via it's LAN IP. It showed up on the network, but would no longer respond to web requests. When I pushed the button and sent it back to router mode it was configurable again. This behaviour does not mimic other routers when put into AP mode, and since there's no manual describing AP on this device, it was all guess work.

In terms of wireless connectivity I did not have an issue setting the SSIDs for both the A and N side, and this product does provide the ability for multiple SSID and guest SSID which can come in handy. It also provides support to configure as a wireless bridge so you can extend the range of your wireless network through relaying (although in my setup, it's hard wired to the main router and acts as an access point vs. relaying the wi-fi signal).

Once I got through the trial and error of getting it setup, the final issue I discovered was that the power switch does not immediately power off the device. This is different from other Buffalo products. When you push power and the switch pops out, the router goes through some type of shutdown process wherein the lights stay on and start flashing for 10-15 seconds before actually turning off. I found an obscure manual entry that said do not unplug the device while the lights are flashing (but that was the extent of the explanation). It appears that they have introduced some sort of shutdown workflow that you need to be aware of if you're planning to pull the power plug.

Overall I find myself disappointed by the lack of clear instruction guide, the cumbersome configuration as an access point, and the very buggy web interface that went "undefined" periodically. As compared to the Buffalo AC1300/N900 I have as the main router, this one was overly complex and unintuitive to setup. Thank goodness it's fast.

3 stars out of 5 for the complexity of configuration and poor quality web interface.
on June 15, 2015
Configuration was easy. I am using this with a DSL modem and I'm typically running 4 devices simultaneously (have total of 27 wifi devices) and guests have not problem hooking up with all kings of gadgets. I most often stream with ROKU, AppleTV, X-Box, plus a variety of phones, tablets and laptops, all working well. Good signal throughout the house, through walls and into back yard, much better than my antique Netgear router. I don't get too technical measuring speeds as far as numbers go, I simply watch some streaming content and if I don't see any buffering delays, I'm happy. Same measure of performance with on-line games using X-Box Live, killed tons of zombies, no worries. One glitch over the first 6 weeks of use, stopped communicating with the DSL modem. Reset and all was good, problem has not reappeared. I would buy again.
on August 4, 2015
I originally bought this to hack it and install DD-WRT. I've since found the stock and updated official Buffalo firmwares to be excellent and support all of the features I have been looking for. 802.11 AC is extremely fast, but its range is limited - this can be made up for by utilizing the 2Ghz 802.11G and N antenna. It supports guest networks if you want, or you can treat your 2Ghz/5Ghz ranges as private and guest. The hardwired gigabit speeds are as fast and reliable as you would expect them to be. With this router, my wireless devices on the 802.11N or AC bands can easily utilize the full 50Mbps of my cable internet connection.