Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on September 14, 2013
Ok I feel really excited but this thing rocks. I wanted to extend from my wireless N to AC and I believe I made the right choice for the price/quality/speed/functionalities.

I got 2 of them off the Egg as I got some gift cards around so I ended up paying $150 for both.

First things first, I updated the firmware from 2.03 to 2.09 in order to have the latest. No issues there.

I set up one as a AP, the other one as a Wireless/Ethernet bridge. You just have to do the selection behind the router using the switch.

If you're using the AP mode, you'll access it using the 192.168.11.1 IP. If you are using the Bridge mode, the IP becomes 192.168.11.100.

These two routers basically are about 35 feet apart. The AP is connected to a switch on the second floor, the bridge connected to another switch on the first floor.

I set up the bridge to use 5GHz AC mode and I was good to go.

Beware though. I tried first the connection on a computer which had only a 10/100Mb Ethernet card and I was getting 9.6MB/s... this is normal. You need Gigabit Ethernet to see the difference.

As soon as I used the Gigabit Ethernet on another computer, speed went to 40MB/s with an average of 35MB/s. Not bad at all!

So why this router rather than another one?
1) it has a dual 800MHz CPU so it is fast
7) I get the same Internet speed than directly connected to the cable modem
8) 3 years warranty
9) USB 3.0 and 2.0
10)IPV6 compliant

Of course I got them a couple days ago so take that as my preliminary review.

So far so good, really pleased. When DD-WRT will be polished and working properly, I may end-up switching to it bit for now I don't have the need to upgrade.

Enjoy!
review image
33 comments39 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This router has a nice updated interface using tiles rather than a tree menu. Two things I liked most about this router is the ability to set individual controls for each device/computer and also schedule Internet time through the router rather than a desktop software program. I am able to turn off Internet access in my house at midnight, and turn it back on at 6:30 am. That keeps my kids from going on xbox all night. Also, I can block adult material from my daughters computer but allow unrestricted access on the rest. The speeds are very good and all devices connect and work properly whether upstairs or downstairs as well.
11 comment34 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The actual wireless router functionality of this is outstanding. It is fast, reliable, and generally works well. It is a bit of a pain to set up, but once it is set up it works absolutely great.

My complaint is with the ability to attach a usb drive and share it on the network is very poor. First, it only supports drives formatted with FAT32 or XFS. No support for NFTS, HFS+, EXT4, BTRFS, or many other formats you would think would be supported. Since XFS is the only sane choice, even if it is a little uncommon I decided to format the drive with XFS from the router. The format failed. Upgraded the firmware to 2.08, which said it had a bugfix for XFS formatting, still failed. So I drag the drive down to my laptop and format it with XFS there. Now the router recognizes the drive and the drive shows up on the network, but I am unable to connect to it from any computer anywhere using the user I set up. Very much a failure. Later upraded to firmware 2.10 and still doesn't work. As of this writing they are updating firmware quickly and fixing a lot of bugs. This may start to work in a later firmware.

I wish BUFFALO would sell this router with DD-WRT pre-installed like they do some of their other routers. Combine the reliability and ease of DD-WRT with a simple setup wizard and Buffalo could have an outstanding product.

If you own this router I'd suggest checking every couple weeks for new firmware to fix your problems. If you don't own this router I'd wait a month or two for the firmware team to fix enough bugs.
22 comments15 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2013
I bought the AC1750 to function as an access point replacing two Linksys E1200s that were not getting the job done. I have been a loyal Linksys customer for a while but have grown tired of sub-par support and, what I feel to be sub-par products lately. So, I tried out the Buffalo after reading some positive reviews of the product in some main stream publications. Other reviewers here are right when they say the setup is a little tricky, but I have only Linksys to compare this to so for me it felt different but not impossible. I have it configured as an access point, allowing another Verizon supplied modem/router to be the DHCP server. In total, it took me about 20 minutes to set it up. I am no pro, but after struggling so much with the Linksys routers I replaced, I have become quite quick at setting this configuration.

My first speed test, using a ethernet cable, returned 83Mb/s down and about 38Mb/s up. This is virtually no loss as I pay for 75/35 service and will get the same 83/38 plugged into the main Verizon router. The 5Ghz wireless gave me the same results as the wired, 83/38. When switching to the 2.4Ghz I did slow down a bit to about 40/25, but still not bad.

Overall, I am very pleased with the speed of this access point so far and would recommend this to anybody looking to upgrade their network.
33 comments13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I want to temper this review with the fact that the product does work, and despite significantly frustrating configuration it has joined my home network as a useful and functional access point.

But let's start at the beginning.

What you get in the package: router, network cable, power cord, mounting screws, stands, quick start guide. You'll notice that you do not get any sort of product manual or instruction guide beyond the quick start.

For basic configuration where this is the one and only one router in your network, it's an easy and quick installation via the web interface, and like other Buffalo products you just connect to it via wi-fi or hard wire, hit the LAN IP, and follow the instructions. In my configuration, however, it was replacing another device as an access point in another room of the house and connected to the main router.

Immediately I had an issue with having no manual, because there were switches on the back of the device for access point / router, and "wb" that had no explanation on the quick start guide. Consulting the downloadable manual on Buffalo's website revealed that the switch was for access point and wireless bridge, however, there is nothing in the manual about configuration as an access point. I would have thought that a full manual would include the actual use of the product in that mode.

Alas. I was easily able to change the IP address to a different subnet to match my existing network, and then began the web configuration. The interface is incredibly buggy. Randomly the menu selections will change from what they are supposed to be to the word "undefined" and then back again. I noticed this when configuring with both IE and Chrome. It was random and I never figured out what was triggering it, but eventually was able to get the selections to show up correctly.

In the router/AP switch setting, you change between the two by pushing another button. There is no rear-indication that you've done anything except a network light on the front of the device goes on or off, and the router either disconnects the WAN port or reconnects it. I noticed that in both modes the hard wired and wireless connections had full internet access, but when in AP mode I could no longer manage the router via it's LAN IP. It showed up on the network, but would no longer respond to web requests. When I pushed the button and sent it back to router mode it was configurable again. This behaviour does not mimic other routers when put into AP mode, and since there's no manual describing AP on this device, it was all guess work.

In terms of wireless connectivity I did not have an issue setting the SSIDs for both the A and N side, and this product does provide the ability for multiple SSID and guest SSID which can come in handy. It also provides support to configure as a wireless bridge so you can extend the range of your wireless network through relaying (although in my setup, it's hard wired to the main router and acts as an access point vs. relaying the wi-fi signal).

Once I got through the trial and error of getting it setup, the final issue I discovered was that the power switch does not immediately power off the device. This is different from other Buffalo products. When you push power and the switch pops out, the router goes through some type of shutdown process wherein the lights stay on and start flashing for 10-15 seconds before actually turning off. I found an obscure manual entry that said do not unplug the device while the lights are flashing (but that was the extent of the explanation). It appears that they have introduced some sort of shutdown workflow that you need to be aware of if you're planning to pull the power plug.

Overall I find myself disappointed by the lack of clear instruction guide, the cumbersome configuration as an access point, and the very buggy web interface that went "undefined" periodically. As compared to the Buffalo AC1300/N900 I have as the main router, this one was overly complex and unintuitive to setup. Thank goodness it's fast.

3 stars out of 5 for the complexity of configuration and poor quality web interface.
on January 28, 2015
I've gone through 2 of these in less than a year. Yes, it's very fast, but the range is very poor, even after constant fiddling with the channels. The units I had would just drop connection to the internet, even if the client devices had a good connection. Yes, it has a 3 year warranty, but after restocking fees and the RMA shipping price, I would be in the hole more than the price of the new router for another return. Customer service was about what you would expect. "Try resetting to factory settings, if that doesn't work send it back." Yes, I even tried turning it off and back on again. I was using the latest firmware, v.2.24.
on November 20, 2013
This is a FANTASTIC Router. I have been using a Cisco Linksys E3000 for several years, which was "state-of-the-art" when I first bought it, but this new Buffalo AC1750 is faster, easier to configure and has superior U.S. based tech support. My wireless internet speeds are now almost identical with a wired connection. I purchased it in conjunction with the Buffalo NAS. I was not able to configure the NAS' Cloud feature with the Linksys but it was very easy to do with the AirStation. The price at Amazon made it a no-brainer compared to any other model.
on February 28, 2015
I've had this router for 10 months and like all routers I've had so far they start to crap out when using multiple devices. The tech guy I talked to on the phone was absolutely worthless and had cocky attitude I didn't care for. I have 2 pc's, an iPhone, iPod and two hard wired TiVo's. The router was able to see both TiVo's for about 6 months then it started to drop one TiVo. I have to revert to power cycling the router to get it to see the other TiVo. This works for about a day then it drops it again. Same trouble I had with my old linksys. I thought by paying high dollars for this router I could avoid this problem but its just another piece of crap like linksys.
on June 25, 2014
I needed a new dual brand router and this was recommended to me. The speed is very good and the set up is very easy. I has almost no technical skills at all and I was able to do it. It generally works well. It doesn't need rebooting very often. But the range is not what I expected or needed. I placed it in the center of my single level home, and I have almost no signal 2 rooms away (40 feet and 3 walls away). Should have gone with the ASUS RT-AC68U router instead.
on August 23, 2015
Bought this to do DD-WRT, as upgrade to previous Buffalo AG-300H. Played with loaded air-station and it did an upgrade which locked out DD-WRT option for upgrade. US Support was horrible, emails basically un-answered, had to call to get it "escalated" - was told to buy another. Emailed for an RMA which was subsequently ignored. I was a big Buffalo fan until this. Bye-bye buffalo.