Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Storm Fire TV Stick Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on September 14, 2013
Ok I feel really excited but this thing rocks. I wanted to extend from my wireless N to AC and I believe I made the right choice for the price/quality/speed/functionalities.

I got 2 of them off the Egg as I got some gift cards around so I ended up paying $150 for both.

First things first, I updated the firmware from 2.03 to 2.09 in order to have the latest. No issues there.

I set up one as a AP, the other one as a Wireless/Ethernet bridge. You just have to do the selection behind the router using the switch.

If you're using the AP mode, you'll access it using the 192.168.11.1 IP. If you are using the Bridge mode, the IP becomes 192.168.11.100.

These two routers basically are about 35 feet apart. The AP is connected to a switch on the second floor, the bridge connected to another switch on the first floor.

I set up the bridge to use 5GHz AC mode and I was good to go.

Beware though. I tried first the connection on a computer which had only a 10/100Mb Ethernet card and I was getting 9.6MB/s... this is normal. You need Gigabit Ethernet to see the difference.

As soon as I used the Gigabit Ethernet on another computer, speed went to 40MB/s with an average of 35MB/s. Not bad at all!

So why this router rather than another one?
1) it has a dual 800MHz CPU so it is fast
7) I get the same Internet speed than directly connected to the cable modem
8) 3 years warranty
9) USB 3.0 and 2.0
10)IPV6 compliant

Of course I got them a couple days ago so take that as my preliminary review.

So far so good, really pleased. When DD-WRT will be polished and working properly, I may end-up switching to it bit for now I don't have the need to upgrade.

Enjoy!
review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This router has a nice updated interface using tiles rather than a tree menu. Two things I liked most about this router is the ability to set individual controls for each device/computer and also schedule Internet time through the router rather than a desktop software program. I am able to turn off Internet access in my house at midnight, and turn it back on at 6:30 am. That keeps my kids from going on xbox all night. Also, I can block adult material from my daughters computer but allow unrestricted access on the rest. The speeds are very good and all devices connect and work properly whether upstairs or downstairs as well.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon September 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The actual wireless router functionality of this is outstanding. It is fast, reliable, and generally works well. It is a bit of a pain to set up, but once it is set up it works absolutely great.

My complaint is with the ability to attach a usb drive and share it on the network is very poor. First, it only supports drives formatted with FAT32 or XFS. No support for NFTS, HFS+, EXT4, BTRFS, or many other formats you would think would be supported. Since XFS is the only sane choice, even if it is a little uncommon I decided to format the drive with XFS from the router. The format failed. Upgraded the firmware to 2.08, which said it had a bugfix for XFS formatting, still failed. So I drag the drive down to my laptop and format it with XFS there. Now the router recognizes the drive and the drive shows up on the network, but I am unable to connect to it from any computer anywhere using the user I set up. Very much a failure. Later upraded to firmware 2.10 and still doesn't work. As of this writing they are updating firmware quickly and fixing a lot of bugs. This may start to work in a later firmware.

I wish BUFFALO would sell this router with DD-WRT pre-installed like they do some of their other routers. Combine the reliability and ease of DD-WRT with a simple setup wizard and Buffalo could have an outstanding product.

If you own this router I'd suggest checking every couple weeks for new firmware to fix your problems. If you don't own this router I'd wait a month or two for the firmware team to fix enough bugs.
on September 4, 2013
I bought the AC1750 to function as an access point replacing two Linksys E1200s that were not getting the job done. I have been a loyal Linksys customer for a while but have grown tired of sub-par support and, what I feel to be sub-par products lately. So, I tried out the Buffalo after reading some positive reviews of the product in some main stream publications. Other reviewers here are right when they say the setup is a little tricky, but I have only Linksys to compare this to so for me it felt different but not impossible. I have it configured as an access point, allowing another Verizon supplied modem/router to be the DHCP server. In total, it took me about 20 minutes to set it up. I am no pro, but after struggling so much with the Linksys routers I replaced, I have become quite quick at setting this configuration.

My first speed test, using a ethernet cable, returned 83Mb/s down and about 38Mb/s up. This is virtually no loss as I pay for 75/35 service and will get the same 83/38 plugged into the main Verizon router. The 5Ghz wireless gave me the same results as the wired, 83/38. When switching to the 2.4Ghz I did slow down a bit to about 40/25, but still not bad.

Overall, I am very pleased with the speed of this access point so far and would recommend this to anybody looking to upgrade their network.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2013
This is a FANTASTIC Router. I have been using a Cisco Linksys E3000 for several years, which was "state-of-the-art" when I first bought it, but this new Buffalo AC1750 is faster, easier to configure and has superior U.S. based tech support. My wireless internet speeds are now almost identical with a wired connection. I purchased it in conjunction with the Buffalo NAS. I was not able to configure the NAS' Cloud feature with the Linksys but it was very easy to do with the AirStation. The price at Amazon made it a no-brainer compared to any other model.
on October 26, 2013
Buffalo AC 1750 is fantastic router hardware hamstrung by its firmware. As soon as DD-WRT is fully functional on the AC 1750, I'm quite sure it'll be the perfect router. Until that point, it seems to be hating life at my house due to my admittedly complex networking situation (2 long-range outdoor bridges to other houses, each with their own networks, not to mention the 15+ wired and wireless devices at my place).
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The BUFFALO WZR-1750DHP AirStation Extreme AC 1750 Gigabit Simultaneous Dual Band Wireless Router is a good value dual band wireless a/b/g/n/ac router. Routers are one of those items that are basically commodities, selling for about $50-$75 once a standard has been in wide use for a year or more. But whenever a standard is updated, or a new one introduced, router manufacturers rush new models to the market at premium prices, even though the real world improvement for the user may be zilch. Or zilch plus one.

All that said, we seem to be living in a golden age of hyper competent, technologically sophisticated, capable, mass produced consumer electronic devices being produced in the zillions from components made by a legion of specialty chip design and manufacturing companies that are dedicated to implementing the newest standards as quickly as possible and shipping the chips off to assemblers to be made into final, usually well designed products for sale at low prices.

The BUFFALO WZR-1750DHP is just that: competent. The differences between it and most other models with a similar feature set are like the difference between 97 and 99. A factual distinction that is largely meaningless in the real world. A review that itemizes all the functions would be like a car review saying "The new Ford has four wheels, they are round and in my test seemed to roll smoothly, although the wheels were 3mm narrower than on a Chevy.".

So, what is there to distinguish the BUFFALO WZR-1750DHP?

For the user it comes down to styling and the firmware interface which, hopefully, the user will have little contact with after setting up the unit in the first place. In the firmware department I am a fan of the Linksys browser based interface. Also the TPLINK browser based user interface is pretty good. The BUFFALO WZR-1750DHP has a firmware browser based setup that is more like that used by DLINK, which is perfectly usable although not my favorite. Like many routers these days it also has a dumbed down setup wizard. But I have to say that I just don't like router setup wizards, and prefer to manually setup a router, so I didn't use it.

As for styling, the BUFFALO WZR-1750DHP uses the vertical firm factor that is popular these days, at least with manufacturers. But unlike some other units the BUFFALO WZR-1750DHP also has an adjustable base that will allow it to also be used in the horizontal which, to me is a more sensible orientation. For me that's a plus.

As to functionality: the BUFFALO WZR-1750DHP has, for the record, exactly the same functionality as just about every other dual band wireless router on the market at the present. The inclusion of the new 802.11ac standard adds mega thruput. But for a single user, or a user with just a small family, you have to ask how much difference this makes when the average US internet connection over cable modem is about 25-50 MBPS. For a corporate office, factory or business environment, where the local network connectivity between users is both more important and not impeded by Internet connection speed, and there may be dozens and dozens of users, it might be much more of a feature and selling point.

In use it worked well on both bands and I had no range problems in a medium sized house with only a couple of users and only a few competing routers nearby.

If you are looking for a dual band, 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC compatible router with 5 GHz speeds up to 1300 Mbps and 2.4 GHz speeds up to 450 Mbps, with gigabit LAN ports and a USB port, then the BUFFALO WZR-1750DHP is a unit to consider, and it has worked well for me during the time that I have been using it.
on July 3, 2014
Sadly my Linksys 54G cannot handle the higher speeds that my internet now offers (100mbit fiber connection) and I had to upgrade. I tried some other similar products first, even ones that you could root and install dd-wrt, but those inevitably had stability issues and had to be rebooted multiple times with or without dd-wrt.

Now steps in Buffalo, this has run solidly for 6 months without a reboot needed.

Update:
Now into 9 months of ownership I wanted to add a USB drive for media storage. One issue the Buffalo AirStation has is it cannot mount NTFS partitions, the standard for Windows since the days of XP. The choice is FAT32 for up to 32Gb, then XFS (a linux file system) for drives larger than 32Gb.

My solution was to switch from the Buffalo AirStation firmware to DD-WRT instead, Buffalo informed me that doing this would void the warranty on the device, but since it has ran solid for 8 months I'm not worried. So far two weeks and no trouble, works great with my NTFS partition. The DD-WRT interface can be a little intimidating to people who aren't used to setting up networking equipment, but if you are coming from a Linksys 54G with DD-WRT you should feel right at home.

Another feature that appears to be missing on the Buffalo firmware is SSH access to the device, this greatly decreases it's usefulness for those that like to tinker and roll our own solutions. Again with DD-WRT firmware loaded you now have SSH access to the device.

With both these features you can then create custom scripts to run upon plugging in a device, e.g. starting up Transmission BitTorrent when the device gets mounted, and making sure it mounts to the correct partition, have it read the torrent directory, and start up. Useful if you don't want to run your external drive all the time but want it for the occasional new linux distribution release.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 27, 2015
I had high hopes for this router, in particular because my Time Warner default one was very large, hot, and bulky (note, was a modem/router combo). I downgraded for the convenience of a smaller router on my desk, not to mention one that looks so nice. It really is one of the nicer routers I've seen while not being particularly flashy, and manages impressive range, in particular for my home where no signal seems to penetrate walls.

However, after a while of tinkering with settings I noticed the log-in info for the router settings actually CUTS THE PASSWORD SHORT to a mere 8 characters. This is UNBELIEVABLY bad security. Thankfully for the technically inclined it's possible to install DD-WRT on this router, but that's by no means an option for everyone. This is a SERIOUS SECURITY VULNERABILITY that Buffalo needs to address! Seriously! With a well equipped laptop, it would take only an hour or two of being within range to completely break the router's security. Do you trust your neighbors?

My other complaint would be that the white buffalo LED is really, really bright. That may seem kind of a funny complaint, but if your router is in your room like mine it can be hard to sleep. A little black tape fixes it, but that really ruins its great looks.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I want to temper this review with the fact that the product does work, and despite significantly frustrating configuration it has joined my home network as a useful and functional access point.

But let's start at the beginning.

What you get in the package: router, network cable, power cord, mounting screws, stands, quick start guide. You'll notice that you do not get any sort of product manual or instruction guide beyond the quick start.

For basic configuration where this is the one and only one router in your network, it's an easy and quick installation via the web interface, and like other Buffalo products you just connect to it via wi-fi or hard wire, hit the LAN IP, and follow the instructions. In my configuration, however, it was replacing another device as an access point in another room of the house and connected to the main router.

Immediately I had an issue with having no manual, because there were switches on the back of the device for access point / router, and "wb" that had no explanation on the quick start guide. Consulting the downloadable manual on Buffalo's website revealed that the switch was for access point and wireless bridge, however, there is nothing in the manual about configuration as an access point. I would have thought that a full manual would include the actual use of the product in that mode.

Alas. I was easily able to change the IP address to a different subnet to match my existing network, and then began the web configuration. The interface is incredibly buggy. Randomly the menu selections will change from what they are supposed to be to the word "undefined" and then back again. I noticed this when configuring with both IE and Chrome. It was random and I never figured out what was triggering it, but eventually was able to get the selections to show up correctly.

In the router/AP switch setting, you change between the two by pushing another button. There is no rear-indication that you've done anything except a network light on the front of the device goes on or off, and the router either disconnects the WAN port or reconnects it. I noticed that in both modes the hard wired and wireless connections had full internet access, but when in AP mode I could no longer manage the router via it's LAN IP. It showed up on the network, but would no longer respond to web requests. When I pushed the button and sent it back to router mode it was configurable again. This behaviour does not mimic other routers when put into AP mode, and since there's no manual describing AP on this device, it was all guess work.

In terms of wireless connectivity I did not have an issue setting the SSIDs for both the A and N side, and this product does provide the ability for multiple SSID and guest SSID which can come in handy. It also provides support to configure as a wireless bridge so you can extend the range of your wireless network through relaying (although in my setup, it's hard wired to the main router and acts as an access point vs. relaying the wi-fi signal).

Once I got through the trial and error of getting it setup, the final issue I discovered was that the power switch does not immediately power off the device. This is different from other Buffalo products. When you push power and the switch pops out, the router goes through some type of shutdown process wherein the lights stay on and start flashing for 10-15 seconds before actually turning off. I found an obscure manual entry that said do not unplug the device while the lights are flashing (but that was the extent of the explanation). It appears that they have introduced some sort of shutdown workflow that you need to be aware of if you're planning to pull the power plug.

Overall I find myself disappointed by the lack of clear instruction guide, the cumbersome configuration as an access point, and the very buggy web interface that went "undefined" periodically. As compared to the Buffalo AC1300/N900 I have as the main router, this one was overly complex and unintuitive to setup. Thank goodness it's fast.

3 stars out of 5 for the complexity of configuration and poor quality web interface.