Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This router has a nice updated interface using tiles rather than a tree menu. Two things I liked most about this router is the ability to set individual controls for each device/computer and also schedule Internet time through the router rather than a desktop software program. I am able to turn off Internet access in my house at midnight, and turn it back on at 6:30 am. That keeps my kids from going on xbox all night. Also, I can block adult material from my daughters computer but allow unrestricted access on the rest. The speeds are very good and all devices connect and work properly whether upstairs or downstairs as well.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 14, 2013
Ok I feel really excited but this thing rocks. I wanted to extend from my wireless N to AC and I believe I made the right choice for the price/quality/speed/functionalities.

I got 2 of them off the Egg as I got some gift cards around so I ended up paying $150 for both.

First things first, I updated the firmware from 2.03 to 2.09 in order to have the latest. No issues there.

I set up one as a AP, the other one as a Wireless/Ethernet bridge. You just have to do the selection behind the router using the switch.

If you're using the AP mode, you'll access it using the 192.168.11.1 IP. If you are using the Bridge mode, the IP becomes 192.168.11.100.

These two routers basically are about 35 feet apart. The AP is connected to a switch on the second floor, the bridge connected to another switch on the first floor.

I set up the bridge to use 5GHz AC mode and I was good to go.

Beware though. I tried first the connection on a computer which had only a 10/100Mb Ethernet card and I was getting 9.6MB/s... this is normal. You need Gigabit Ethernet to see the difference.

As soon as I used the Gigabit Ethernet on another computer, speed went to 40MB/s with an average of 35MB/s. Not bad at all!

So why this router rather than another one?
1) it has a dual 800MHz CPU so it is fast
7) I get the same Internet speed than directly connected to the cable modem
8) 3 years warranty
9) USB 3.0 and 2.0
10)IPV6 compliant

Of course I got them a couple days ago so take that as my preliminary review.

So far so good, really pleased. When DD-WRT will be polished and working properly, I may end-up switching to it bit for now I don't have the need to upgrade.

Enjoy!
review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon September 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The actual wireless router functionality of this is outstanding. It is fast, reliable, and generally works well. It is a bit of a pain to set up, but once it is set up it works absolutely great.

My complaint is with the ability to attach a usb drive and share it on the network is very poor. First, it only supports drives formatted with FAT32 or XFS. No support for NFTS, HFS+, EXT4, BTRFS, or many other formats you would think would be supported. Since XFS is the only sane choice, even if it is a little uncommon I decided to format the drive with XFS from the router. The format failed. Upgraded the firmware to 2.08, which said it had a bugfix for XFS formatting, still failed. So I drag the drive down to my laptop and format it with XFS there. Now the router recognizes the drive and the drive shows up on the network, but I am unable to connect to it from any computer anywhere using the user I set up. Very much a failure. Later upraded to firmware 2.10 and still doesn't work. As of this writing they are updating firmware quickly and fixing a lot of bugs. This may start to work in a later firmware.

I wish BUFFALO would sell this router with DD-WRT pre-installed like they do some of their other routers. Combine the reliability and ease of DD-WRT with a simple setup wizard and Buffalo could have an outstanding product.

If you own this router I'd suggest checking every couple weeks for new firmware to fix your problems. If you don't own this router I'd wait a month or two for the firmware team to fix enough bugs.
on September 4, 2013
Verified Purchase
I bought the AC1750 to function as an access point replacing two Linksys E1200s that were not getting the job done. I have been a loyal Linksys customer for a while but have grown tired of sub-par support and, what I feel to be sub-par products lately. So, I tried out the Buffalo after reading some positive reviews of the product in some main stream publications. Other reviewers here are right when they say the setup is a little tricky, but I have only Linksys to compare this to so for me it felt different but not impossible. I have it configured as an access point, allowing another Verizon supplied modem/router to be the DHCP server. In total, it took me about 20 minutes to set it up. I am no pro, but after struggling so much with the Linksys routers I replaced, I have become quite quick at setting this configuration.

My first speed test, using a ethernet cable, returned 83Mb/s down and about 38Mb/s up. This is virtually no loss as I pay for 75/35 service and will get the same 83/38 plugged into the main Verizon router. The 5Ghz wireless gave me the same results as the wired, 83/38. When switching to the 2.4Ghz I did slow down a bit to about 40/25, but still not bad.

Overall, I am very pleased with the speed of this access point so far and would recommend this to anybody looking to upgrade their network.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2013
Verified Purchase
This is a FANTASTIC Router. I have been using a Cisco Linksys E3000 for several years, which was "state-of-the-art" when I first bought it, but this new Buffalo AC1750 is faster, easier to configure and has superior U.S. based tech support. My wireless internet speeds are now almost identical with a wired connection. I purchased it in conjunction with the Buffalo NAS. I was not able to configure the NAS' Cloud feature with the Linksys but it was very easy to do with the AirStation. The price at Amazon made it a no-brainer compared to any other model.
on October 26, 2013
Verified Purchase
Buffalo AC 1750 is fantastic router hardware hamstrung by its firmware. As soon as DD-WRT is fully functional on the AC 1750, I'm quite sure it'll be the perfect router. Until that point, it seems to be hating life at my house due to my admittedly complex networking situation (2 long-range outdoor bridges to other houses, each with their own networks, not to mention the 15+ wired and wireless devices at my place).
on July 3, 2014
Verified Purchase
Sadly my Linksys 54G cannot handle the higher speeds that my internet now offers (100mbit fiber connection) and I had to upgrade. I tried some other similar products first, even ones that you could root and install dd-wrt, but those inevitably had stability issues and had to be rebooted multiple times with or without dd-wrt.

Now steps in Buffalo, this has run solidly for 6 months without a reboot needed.

Update:
Now into 9 months of ownership I wanted to add a USB drive for media storage. One issue the Buffalo AirStation has is it cannot mount NTFS partitions, the standard for Windows since the days of XP. The choice is FAT32 for up to 32Gb, then XFS (a linux file system) for drives larger than 32Gb.

My solution was to switch from the Buffalo AirStation firmware to DD-WRT instead, Buffalo informed me that doing this would void the warranty on the device, but since it has ran solid for 8 months I'm not worried. So far two weeks and no trouble, works great with my NTFS partition. The DD-WRT interface can be a little intimidating to people who aren't used to setting up networking equipment, but if you are coming from a Linksys 54G with DD-WRT you should feel right at home.

Another feature that appears to be missing on the Buffalo firmware is SSH access to the device, this greatly decreases it's usefulness for those that like to tinker and roll our own solutions. Again with DD-WRT firmware loaded you now have SSH access to the device.

With both these features you can then create custom scripts to run upon plugging in a device, e.g. starting up Transmission BitTorrent when the device gets mounted, and making sure it mounts to the correct partition, have it read the torrent directory, and start up. Useful if you don't want to run your external drive all the time but want it for the occasional new linux distribution release.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The BUFFALO WZR-1750DHP AirStation Extreme AC 1750 Gigabit Simultaneous Dual Band Wireless Router is a good value dual band wireless a/b/g/n/ac router. Routers are one of those items that are basically commodities, selling for about $50-$75 once a standard has been in wide use for a year or more. But whenever a standard is updated, or a new one introduced, router manufacturers rush new models to the market at premium prices, even though the real world improvement for the user may be zilch. Or zilch plus one.

All that said, we seem to be living in a golden age of hyper competent, technologically sophisticated, capable, mass produced consumer electronic devices being produced in the zillions from components made by a legion of specialty chip design and manufacturing companies that are dedicated to implementing the newest standards as quickly as possible and shipping the chips off to assemblers to be made into final, usually well designed products for sale at low prices.

The BUFFALO WZR-1750DHP is just that: competent. The differences between it and most other models with a similar feature set are like the difference between 97 and 99. A factual distinction that is largely meaningless in the real world. A review that itemizes all the functions would be like a car review saying "The new Ford has four wheels, they are round and in my test seemed to roll smoothly, although the wheels were 3mm narrower than on a Chevy.".

So, what is there to distinguish the BUFFALO WZR-1750DHP?

For the user it comes down to styling and the firmware interface which, hopefully, the user will have little contact with after setting up the unit in the first place. In the firmware department I am a fan of the Linksys browser based interface. Also the TPLINK browser based user interface is pretty good. The BUFFALO WZR-1750DHP has a firmware browser based setup that is more like that used by DLINK, which is perfectly usable although not my favorite. Like many routers these days it also has a dumbed down setup wizard. But I have to say that I just don't like router setup wizards, and prefer to manually setup a router, so I didn't use it.

As for styling, the BUFFALO WZR-1750DHP uses the vertical firm factor that is popular these days, at least with manufacturers. But unlike some other units the BUFFALO WZR-1750DHP also has an adjustable base that will allow it to also be used in the horizontal which, to me is a more sensible orientation. For me that's a plus.

As to functionality: the BUFFALO WZR-1750DHP has, for the record, exactly the same functionality as just about every other dual band wireless router on the market at the present. The inclusion of the new 802.11ac standard adds mega thruput. But for a single user, or a user with just a small family, you have to ask how much difference this makes when the average US internet connection over cable modem is about 25-50 MBPS. For a corporate office, factory or business environment, where the local network connectivity between users is both more important and not impeded by Internet connection speed, and there may be dozens and dozens of users, it might be much more of a feature and selling point.

In use it worked well on both bands and I had no range problems in a medium sized house with only a couple of users and only a few competing routers nearby.

If you are looking for a dual band, 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC compatible router with 5 GHz speeds up to 1300 Mbps and 2.4 GHz speeds up to 450 Mbps, with gigabit LAN ports and a USB port, then the BUFFALO WZR-1750DHP is a unit to consider, and it has worked well for me during the time that I have been using it.
on October 4, 2014
Verified Purchase
This will be an ongoing review. I'm going to add more to the review over time. I've had my router now for over a month now.I think one of the most important things I should stress is that reviews are always subjective. And that from reading reviews of computer hardware, why there are usually so many issues with customers using computer hardware they may not have enough experience making advanced configurations, especially in routers.If you don't have a basic understanding of computer networking, and a basic understanding of configuring networking devices (routers, switches, etc), then new networking device will not work as advertised.

First, the price. It was a good price. I was going to get the AC 1200. But when I already placed the order for the AC 1200, I just happened to the see the price for the AC 1750, and it was actually several dollars less. My very first order was for the N600 from Quantum Wireless. But, for some reason the o0rder was not sent, and I had the 2 Day Shipping option, as I needed the router ASAP I got my refund, but I never got ANY answer to why the order was never sent, even when I asked their customer support.

I chose Buffalo because I've read about their routers and I really liked them. I had not decided definitely that my next router was going to be a Buffalo (The AC 1750 is replacing my Linksys E2000 I've had since 2010). But, when I was doing the search, for what I wanted in a new router, the AC 17501 fit what I needed, and the most important..the price much less than comparable Linksys, Belkin and Netgear routers.

I had no problem flashing it to the current DD-WRT version. I thought about using the stock firmware a while before flashing DD-WRT, but I just couldn't wait...*laughing*. So far. I have only 2 "issues". I call them "issues" because they aren't something that would be a problem at all. One issue is that I haven't been able to get my HP 2510 printer and Seagate Backup Plus 2 TB External hard drive to work through the USB ports with DD-WRT installed. I didn't check to see if it would work while the stock firmware was still installed. The Simultaneous Dual Band work great. Now, I can use use my Android tablet on the N band without having to downgrading to a mixed NG band on a lower signal in order for my laptops to connect to the network. Now, I can run my laptops to run on the AC band.

UPDATE: 12/04/2014

Well, it took me a LONG time, but I THINK I've got it ok. The second part of my review has to do with my Internet connection. My review of my Internet connection was only partial because I was expecting a major upgrade during the time I got the router. My ISP, who is also my landline phone provider had been upgrading the underground cabling to fiber optic since the beginning of the year. I think about a month before I got the router(to 2 months at the most) the lines from the road had already been upgraded, so I was already getting a big increase in speed and bandwidth BEFORE I got the Buffalo. After I got the Buffalo, about a month or more later, the phone company came to do the final upgrade with FTTH (Fiber To The House) setup and changing out the gateway router.

Once that was done, everything has been great Everything was great UNTIL, I started having a problem with the IPTV setup. My plan is to move the 2 IPTV connections from the new gateway router to my Cisco SG200-18 Gigabit Smart Switch. I only want to do that since the Switch can handle it, plus have different subnets(subnetworks) to manage everything, so I can try to set up streaming and and forth from my computers to the IPTV set-top boxes. One box would alway loose the IP connection like after a 5-7 days. I had to keep restarting both the gateway router and the Buffalo router to fix the configuration, since the gateway router is running in Bridge Mode and the buffalo is handling the actual computer Internet connection access, and the phone company gateway only handles the IPTV connections. This had been going on for at leat a month Then somehow, it kind of came to me WHY the IPTV connections where dropping.

In the LAB settings section for the gateway router, the main settings are for configuring the DHCP service The DHCP service is what does the IP address management on a modem, switch, router, basically assigning an IP address to any device on the network. In a "simple" setup, there is usually one DHCP server assigning IP addresses., But a typical "not-so-simple" setup can have multiple DHCP servers. With the setup I have, there's one DHCP server on the gateway router for the IPTV access connections, which has one IP address and the DHCP server on the Buffalo router for the main Internet connection access has another IP address. What I was doing was DISABLING the DHCP server on the gateway router, which is a BEC 8920NE Multi-Service Gateway Router, thinking that the Buffalo router was going to handle the DHCP setup for both the main Internet access and the IPTV access. It would happen for a while, the set-top boxes would be picked up by the Buffalo, the set-top boxes would show that they were connected to the network. Then after a few days, it would show that it WAS NOT connected, the IP addresses that were originally assigned from the BEC were changed to IP addresses assigned by the Buffalo. Then, the full channel guide would not show or update as it was supposed to and the Caller ID stopped working through the TV. Well, after it occurred to me in a kind of a-ha moment, during the last reconfigure of the gateway router, I kept the DHCP server enabled setting on.

Well, so far, so good. No changes, no dropped connections. I don't know when I'm going to fully move the IPTV connections to the Cisco switch. I have the instructions for ot, plus the DD-WRT wiki pages for setting IPTV connections through DD-WRT. So far, no problems, no major problems with the Buffalo router. With the main DD-WRT firmware (I have v24-sp8-06/24/2014), you can overclock the router. I change it from 1200 MHZ to 1400 MHz to 1600 MHz, no problems. The only problem, that can be a minor or major problem, depending on how you view it, is that a power surge makes very..very easy to mess up the configuration. I don't really know what fixes it, but after restoring the saved configuration and if that doesnt work, I unplug the Cisco Switch uplink cable from the ETH 1 port of the Buffalo for a few seconds and plug it back in, the network settings either restore or update. Or I have to unplug the uplink cable from the WAN port of the gateway router and the switch uplink cable and the Buffalo router and turn it off. Then, I connect directly to the gateway router,let it configure, then, connect to the Buffalo and configure, then uplink back to the Cisco switch. So far, don't know what of all of that is what is working to restore. But so far, this is my only issue have od concern. Both routers are plugged into a good power suppressor. It's kinda funny to me because my Linksys E2000 that the Buffalo replaced could handle power surges no problem, it would be the old gateway router that would get messed up.

The Buffalo AC1750 is a great router. You just have TO KNOW how to use it. And if you don't have any beyond basic networking knowledge, it's a very hard task of working with it. I WOULD RECOMMEND using the Buffalo-installed DD-WRT firmware to get used to configuring a home/small business router before going to using the full version of DD-WRT.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 25, 2014
Verified Purchase
I needed a new dual brand router and this was recommended to me. The speed is very good and the set up is very easy. I has almost no technical skills at all and I was able to do it. It generally works well. It doesn't need rebooting very often. But the range is not what I expected or needed. I placed it in the center of my single level home, and I have almost no signal 2 rooms away (40 feet and 3 walls away). Should have gone with the ASUS RT-AC68U router instead.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations