Three year update: still works fine; part of my daily data back-up plan.

Two year update: still running strong.

Published on March 23, 2011 by 35-year Technology Consumer

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't recomend the LinkStation Pro Duo
I specify NAS drives for many customers. I own several Buffalo NAS drives for my own network. I thought the concept of the LS Pro Duos was sound, when set to RAID 1. So I started specifying these for my customers (I sell audio & video home network streaming systems).

Published on June 22, 2011 by FP Crazy

4.0 out of 5 stars Robust hardware. Not for the technologically faint-of-heart and DLNA not great..., March 23, 2011
This review is from: BUFFALO LinkStation Pro Duo 2-Bay 2 TB (2 x 1 TB) RAID High Performance Network Attached Storage (NAS) - LS-WV2.0TL/R1 (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Three year update: still works fine; part of my daily data back-up plan.

Two year update: still running strong.

Seven month update: rating change to 4 stars (from 5 stars) for due to support web site usability for firmware and utility software updating (the utility software is for the Windows GUI environment; the firmware is for the NAS device itself).

Solid 5 stars for backup and network data access.

As part of a recent Windows re-install on my desktop computer, I checked for updates to the firmware and user interface utilities. It was relatively easy to find that newer versions of both were available on Buffalo's support site. The discovery, however, is where the "easy" ended.

In order to download the utility software, users must provide both a model number a serial number in a web form. If you no longer have the product box, you'll have to turn the unit upside down to find the serial number sticker (and you'll certainly want to power down the machine before doing so!). There are three separate bar codes and numerical labels on the bottom of the unit:
--the MAC address (labeled as such)
--a serial number (mixed letters/numbers beginning with the model name, and labeled "F-S/N"...presumably the serial number needed for the software download
--an unlabeled bar code with 14 numbers.
Surprisingly, the *unlabeled* number is the one needed to proceed with your download.
While this is very counter-intuitive, my call to their toll-free number was answered in one ring (and with just two voice menu options) by a knowledgeable tech who clued me in patiently and quickly on which number to use (the unlabeled one, of course!).

One the firmware and software was downloaded, the updates were painless.
-Firmware: extract the zipped download file, select the only executable file present, and enter a password when prompted (after the updater discovers the NAS on your network).
-Utility software was a standard application install in a Windows environment.

Six months after this NAS arrived, I added a DLNA-compliant, Internet-enabled Sony HDTV to my hardware mix. I was looking forward to streaming video, images and music from the NAS to the TV and its connected A/V receiver. Beware: your total count of DLNA-enabled files is limited to 30,000. Trust me: exceed this and you will NOT have a happy DLNA experience. Get under that cap, and it's relatively straightforward to set-up the service on the NAS and access it via the DLNA-compatible device. The file count limit was found not in the NAS user guide (or elsewhere on Buffalo's support site that I could find); fortunately, it was clearly presented in --of all places-- the TV's embedded interactive guide.

DNLA bottom line: videos and music are cataloged and available for streaming with no problem...but it can't properly navigate designated images. Go figure. So: it works for 2/3 of the media categories its supposed to support.

Original review content:

If you take your data backups seriously, you might already have a big pile of external hard drives...and maybe some hard drive enclosures. This is probably a pile that grew as your digital music, photo and video holdings increased and the cost of mass storage decreased.

Transitioning to a Network Attached Storage (NAS) solution might help reduce your backup hardware clutter while offering access to your files from multiple computers in a wired or wireless network. Buffalo Technology's Linkstation Pro Duo WS-WV2.0TL/R1 is a strong candidate for such a backup and networked data storage solution.

But, be prepared before you plunge: this is not a choice for the technical novice. While most users can probably work through this machine's core functions without great heartache, before spelunking in even its most common options, you should already be confident in understanding how storage devices interact with wired and wireless networks, and be prepared to make fundamental decisions about disk file format and Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) setup options. If these skills aren't in your comfort zone: large capacity hard drives are very affordable these days. Just add more of the size you need to accommodate your current and near future holdings, connect them internally or externally, get them running with a decent automated backup application, and free up the brainpower you'd devote to NAS administration for other tasks:-)

If you feel you do have the technical cred to become an NAS maven, then read on.

Hardware:
The hardware for this unit is substantial. Two SATA hard disk drives (HDD) are mounted vertically in trays behind the removable front cover; no tools are required for installation or removal. Mine arrived with two Samsung hard drives , each with 1 TB capacity (more on this later). These 54000 RPM drives have a decent reputation for running cool and quietly. The control unit runs a 1.6 GHZ processor over Linux (Samba) architecture for its combined file and print services (compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems...although some interface features may be absent in the cross-platform environment).

The enclosure includes an RJ45 Ethernet port (for connecting to a router, for establishing its IP address, for its browser-based control functions and ultimately, for its data transfer chores) and a USB port. The USB port can accept either a printer (with one-way functions for printing services only; no multi-function device support or 2-way printer utilities), an external hard drive or any USB-driven device (except for multi-port hubs or multi-slot card readers).

External appearance is clean and simple. On the right front corner are three staus LEDs (power, function and info/error). The rear contains a 3-position power switch (on, off and auto). The auto function is synched with the computer that shares a wired Ethernet connection with the router.

Setup:
The full range of available features is very dense. Prepare to spend considerable time exploring the user interface. The included (.pdf) user guide is very well written, although some of its screenshots are too small to read easily.

Initialization for first use took approximately 12 minutes. There was a firmware update available from Buffalo, which I installed before proceeding with any data transfer or disk functionality.

This NAS requires a fixed IP address on your network. Since most home routers use dynamic IP addressing by default (for both wired and wireless devices), you'll need to be familiar with how to force your router to assign a fixed IP address to an attached device.

Data transfer rates:
While any discussion of data transfer rates will represent a snapshot that includes multiple variables, data tranfer via this unit's Ethernet connection is about 10 MB/second to the desktop's internal SATA drives and an external USB 2 drive. By comparison, internal desktop SATA-SATA data rate is about 33 MB/second, and SATA-USB about 24 MB/second.

RAID options:
The default configuration for this NAS is RAID 0 (striping). RAID 0 treats the two 1 TB drives as a single volume, offering 2 TB of capacity. If one disk fails: all content is lost. In these days of cheap storage, not a choice I'd make for myself or recommend to others.

The browser-based user interface easily allows the array to be changed to to RAID 1 (mirroring). RAID 1 duplicates the contents of one drive onto the other. Effective storage capacity is equal to the size of the SMALLEST drive installed. In the event of a drive failure, replace the failed drive and the mirrored content will then be rebuilt from the good one after installation. This is the redundancy I prefer for networked storage. For this configuration, 1 TB of storage is available. Changing RAID types took less than 10 minutes. Note: make this change BEFORE adding data, which is lost in a change of RAID modes. The interface offers excellent error trapping, including written warning that you are about to lose your data AND forcing you to match a 4-digit code it displays when you agree that you understand your about to commit your bits to the deep...

In addition to the RAID options, you can configure these drives as independent volumes.

File system options:
This device supports FAT32, NTFS (only via the USB port) HFS+ and XFS. XFS is its default configuration, and the only one offering full read/write and control functionality. The XFS format is new to me, and I can't comment on the result if an XFS-formatted drive is accessed outside of the NAS environment (via a Windows system, either through either an external hard drive enclosure or an internal SATA install).

The web-based interface is simply laid out, and generally intuitive. It allows you to set up users and groups with different levels of access to directories you specify. However, the range of advance features is broad, and this is not a package for the technical novice.

The included utility disk includes programs (TurboCopy and TurboPC) designed to speed up file copying in Windows and optimize hard drive transfer speeds through RAM cache. I did not install or test either one.

It also includes a backup program, NovaBackup Professional. I have another backup program I use, but tested this anyway. NovaBackup Professional offers two methods of duplicating data: "backup" and "copy". Copy does just that, while "backup" breaks the total volume of copied data into roughly equal sized chunks of its proprietary file format (.ndb). When you need to recover them, it recreates the files in a destination location using its "restore" function. The "chunked" backup approach is primarily for users making their backups to tape instead of hard disks or solid state drives. If you're not backing up to tape, I don't see any value added to this approach (which mostly seems to add something else that can go wrong when you least want it to) and am sticking with my current backup solution (Centered Software's "Second Copy"), which recognized the NAS drives and copied data there without issue. If you don't have another backup application, then NovaBackup's copy function is easy to use for either manual or automated data archiving.

Here are some of this device's other capabilities that I haven't (and probably won't) exercise:

--NAS control and data access functions via the Internet. These "WebAccess" capabilities are facilitated via Buffalo's web site. The configuration instructions include this prudent caveat:
"WebAccess allows you and other people to access files on your computer from over the Internet. If you use WebAccess, configure your folder security settings carefully so that the right people (and only the right people) can access the shared folders." I don't have a pressing need to manage my data remotely to make this risk --even if small-- worthwhile. This not an evaluation of Buffalo's security, just an assessment of my own computing needs. The configuration instructions are detailed and well written.

--Print server. I don't need this, and prefer not to give up the added printer utilities that would be lost by controlling my printers outside of their native Windows environment.

--BitTorrent Client: I don't do peer-to-peer sharing. This isn't a value judgement on the practice; I just don't. The user guide includes this advice: "Warning: Do not download copyrighted files without permission from the owner." This is good advice. Not enabled by default.

--Web server: this device supports the following web services: HTML, CGI scripts, images, and JavaScript. It is not enabled by default, and the user guide includes the following: "The LinkStation's Web server is for advanced users only. Do not enable it unless you know what you're doing." Downright refreshing!

--MySQL server: Yeah, I could use this machine for MySQL services, if it were in my technical wheelhouse...but it's not. Not enabled by default, the user guide includes this advice: "A MySQL database may be installed and linked with the web server. The LinkStation's MySQL server is for advanced users only. Do not enable it unless you know what you're doing." Refreshing again.

--This device can serve multimedia content to DLNA-compatible hardware. I don't have any such harware, so couldn't test it. Hmmm: maybe time to shop for a new TV!

--This device can deliver iTunes content (MP3, M4A, and M4P) to networked machines. I was able to access and play both audio and video content from the NAS to two computers wirelessly accessing my network. Note: no value added for me since I have DRM-free (non-iTunes store content) music residing on multiple machines. If I wanted to centralize my multimedia content, I might consider a dedicated media server instead; I'm not familiar enough with the current market for these to make a recommendation.

Bottom line: If you understand the fundamentals --and a little more-- of file format choices, RAID configurations and the interaction of storage devices with local and extended networks: this is a great choice. If any of the above scares you, this might be more technology than you really need or can effectively manage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid NAS for RAID1 backup and file streaming!, January 26, 2011
I purchased this NAS for a mirrored backup of my data and to stream pictures, music and videos to a PS3 and a couple of laptops. It works great for these tasks. Setup was easy. I gave the NAS a static IP address, updated the firmware, changed the drives from RAID0 to RAID1 and setup a media server. It only takes a few clicks to change the RAID configuration through the web interface, but the actual re-sync can take hours. You can still use the drive during this process. It took 95 minutes to transfer 135GB to the NAS using a gig network. It bounced between 20-30 MB/sec, but the overall average was about 1.4 GB/min. Single file transfer rates are much faster, less than 30 seconds for a 1GB movie. That's plenty fast for me. Noise levels were on par with two hard drives spinning at full speed. The unit is silent at idle.

The PS3 and two laptops on my network (all wireless) see the NAS without any issues. Media Player and iTunes stream music from the drive without any lag. The PS3 takes up to 5 seconds to start playing a song, but that's a well documented PS3 wireless issue. Once playing there is no lag. Auto backups from two laptops and a desktop work great using SyncBack. I didn't install the bundled NOVAbackup software so I'm not sure how well that works.

For me the Buffalo LinkStation Pro Duo is the perfect balance of price and performance. For 2 6 0 dollars you get a 1.6GHz CPU, 256MB DDR3 RAM, 512kb flash, Gigabit NIC and two 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 hard drives. Not a bad deal. The 1.6GHz QNAP and Synology enclosures are faster, but almost twice the price after you buy the hard drives. The less expensive D-Link, Iomega and Netgear dual drive enclosures are slower in the reviews I read. Similar to the older Buffalo LinkStation Duo.

Overall I'm very happy with this product and would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent UPNP/DLNA Video Server, March 4, 2011
I purchased the Buffalo Technology LinkStation Pro Duo 4 TB (2 x 2 TB) RAID NAS to stream videos to my home Linux settop boxes and remotely to my Linux touchscreen netbook via VPN. This LinkStation is DLNA certified so I felt very confident it would work with those UPNP/DLNA clients.

Pros:
- About the footprint of a small toaster and half the height.
- Cool temp and quiet operation.
- Consumes just 45 watts so a UPS on it will last a long time.
- Gigabit ethernet (my home net is Gigabit).
- Web Interface does almost everything.
- Preconfigured for Raid 0 (optimized for speed) and the XFS filesystem.
- Lots of built-in software to support squeeze and even a MySql server.
- Excellent streaming performance with Boxee Box and XBMC.

Cons:
- Drive noise is sometimes audible.
- Can't be initially setup without Proprietary client (see below).
- Settings not restored after a drive check.
- Start up and shutdown are a little slow.
- Sometimes "sleeps" so initial connections can take slightly longer.

Getting the LinkStation operational was a little challenging. The initial setup client is a Windows program. I keep a sacrificial Win XP box around for just such situations. I switched on the NAS for the first time, and installed my windows client on the same network. Unfortunately, the NAS defaults to an IP/Mask not compatible with my home network which made it unreachable. But the Windows client allows you to temporarily "zap" the IP to whatever you like, so that was the first thing I did - assign it an arbitrary unused IP on my home net (like 192.168.1.30 or something).

Next, I connected to its Web console and gave it a permanent static IP address and mask on my LAN so that I could always locate it easily.

Now that it was reachable, I downloaded the current rev of the firmware along with the Windows loader program. It found the NAS and upgraded it without incident. I was then able to connect from my Linux desktop via the web interface, and had no further need for the Windows client.

The web interface is excellent with lots of well-organized pages and menus to control every aspect of the NAS. The first thing I did was change the admin password, of course, and add a user account. Set the Windows Share workgroup. NTP time sync is oddly set to a DNS name in Japan which won't work. I reset it to the IP of an NIST server in Chicago (yes, it expects an IP address -- not a DNS name). It synched up fine. Then I went to the system menu and performed a disk check to auto-fix any drive anomalies. After that completed, I was ready to load data.

When you turn on the drive it doesn't start immediately. It must boot/shutdown like a pc does. Be patient. When the blue light on the front of the drive stops flickering, it's ready to use. The on/off switch has a 3rd position called "auto". This allows the drive to hibernate and to wake up when it senses a connection from the proprietary Windows client. This feature is useless to me as a Linux user, so I only use "on" and "off".

You can load data using a USB drive or the network. The USB interface loads all the data from the drive to a preset location. I chose to use the network because I wanted to organize and weed the data as I loaded it, and some of my files were too large to fit on my FAT32 formatted USB drive.

I can connect to the NAS using Samba from OpenSuse, Ubuntu, and Mint (and of course, Windows). But only after I figured out that I must use the Share Name "share" in the connection arguments, otherwise the connection hangs after the password prompt. File transfer is fast and flawless.

One minor annoyance, if you perform another disk check (I do this at least once a week), the Media Server is, of course, disabled. It must be enabled manually again via the Web console when the check completes. The Media Server gets an error on startup telling you to update something that always fails. You can ignore this -- it works fine without it. Shares are auto-enabled by default.

UPNP/DLNA video streaming is excellent. The LinkStation advertises itself via UPNP as expected. My video content is encoded as H.264 Mpeg4 with metadata interleaved every 500ms. I have a mix of resolutions at 480p, 720p, and 1080p. Both Boxee Box and XBMC play all perfectly. My Nokia N900 phone can see the LinkStation too, and play the 480p when connected by WiFi. The LinkStation does not do transcoding.

For remote access to my home network, I use NeoRouter Pro. I have 60Mb/sec down 5Mb/sec upstream service. The LinkStation doesn't have a client for NeoRouter and so cannot be exposed directly to VPN. UPNP/DLNA port forwarding is notoriously finicky, so I use a different approach. On my home NeoRouter gateway machine (Linux), I simply connect to the NAS using Samba (mount it as a Windows share), then expose it with rygel. UPNP/DLNA works great this way. Just for fun, I was also able to set up my trash Windows box as a NeoRouter client and did the same thing using the excellent tVersity server. Both rygel and tVersity are free.

I would have given this NAS 5 stars if it had more up to date documentation, was more Linux friendly (after all, the NAS runs Linux), and the Media server glitches were addressed.

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't recomend the LinkStation Pro Duo, June 22, 2011

So far, I've either purchased or sold 4 of these units. 3 of the 4 (including my own) has failed. 2 of them ended up with a corrupted RAID arrays, and all data was lost. Fortunately, other backups of the data existed, but still a huge time vampire for me and my business. The 4th LS Pro Duo ended up with some sort of unknown error that has yet to be resolved.

Granted, 4 units is a small sample size. All units were using firmware 1.41. And that may have been the problem but 1.42 has not been out very long so, at the time of this review, I don't currently know if 1.42 will solve the problems.

Until I've had enough time to gauge 1.42's effectiveness, I have to give this product a huge thumbs down. And that's a shame, as this particular product has so much potential, if it would only stay working.

Tech support has been pretty darn good though and except for 2 instances, wait times were <5 mins. And for these 3 failures, I've spent multiple hours on the phone with tech support.

So for now, I'm back to specifying the single (non RAID) Buffalo LinkStation Pro NAS drives, which have been pretty reliable for me (when the proper firmware is installed on them).

1.0 out of 5 stars PRODUCT IS SPOTTY AND TECH SUPPORT IS SHADY., July 16, 2011
I chose the NAS because of the speed and the option to put my own drives in the chassis if something happens.

I received the NAS and set it up in RAID 1. Got all my info on it and used it for streaming to my TV thru PS3. I was very happy with the NAS until one day I get a message that my drives were offline. I ran diagnostics on the NAS and disk 1 came online. I did a reset and disk 2 would not come online. I checked for new firmware and tried that. I was still not able to add disk 2 back into the array.

I called tech support and was told I should replace the drive since my data was not being protected. I told them it was 2 months old. Now they wanted me to run a bunch of test and did not want to send a drive out for the system. All of the sudden they felt the drive was ok even though at the beginning it was recommended to replace. After a couple of hours troubleshooting I was finally given an RMA # for a new drive. I sent in the bad drive and received a new drive 2 weeks later. I put the drive in the drive in the NAS and it will not let me add it to the system. I call tech support and they have me update the firmware the NAS. NAS still will not see the disk. Tech support wants me to try the drive on something else. I explain that I do not have a system that supports the drive. Tech support tells me to call back during the day to see if they can help me. I called back the next day and go thru the test again. They still want me to test the drive. I explain I have no way to test the drive. Finally they agree to replace the system.

3 weeks later I finally get the refurb NAS. It has a 90 day warranty so lost 7 months of warranty when they replaced the NAS. I start it up and it will not let me set in RAID 1. I reformat it and still not luck. I notice the firmware is old and go the 1 I put on the last NAS. It finally lets me setup RAID 1. I then get messages that both disk cannot mount and RAID 1 is not sync. The great thing is every 2 minutes or so a message will come up saying that you have NAS issues. So off to buffalo software downloads. I find out there is a newer firmware. I then proceed to do a new firmware update again on a drive that is supposed to be factory refurb and working. Finally everything looks good so proceed to restore all my data to the NAS.

Well go into the NAS to getting settings back to normal and Media server option will not come up. I reboot hoping that will fix it, no go. So another call to tech support. I call and they want me to edit the firmware file and say it must of loaded wrong. I proceed to do what they say and I tell her I do not have the option. She says are you running XP. I tell her no I have Windows 7. She tells me oh we do not support Windows 7. She says you will need to get Windows XP or Vista. I tell her I only have Windows 7 systems. She says well you could return the unit and we might be able to fix. I explain I just go this one from factory 3 days ago and do not want move my data. She says there is no other choice.

I decide I will call back later to see if I can find a better tech. 2nd call I get a different tech and she says I will have to get XP or Vista. I explain that XP and Vista are no longer options for systems. She then argues with me that XP and Vista can be purchased many places. I explain that unless I buy a used system it has not been on the market for over a year now. Still I am just blow away that they think I am going to install a new OS just to fix their firmware issue. Tech support explains that they do not support Windows 7 and will have to call Microsoft if I need help. I tell them I am not going to spend $50 calling Microsoft to trouble shoot Buffalos firmware issues. Windows 7 has been out for almost 2 years and has a service pack 1 they should be able to work with it since it the current shipping OS.

So after a month and half I have a refurb unit that is missing a major feature and have the choice of sending it back or finding someone with XP and borrowing their system to troubleshoot Buffalos firmware.

If you like having your data maybe sort of protected, missing features, tech support that is shady, and spending lots of time talking to people stuck in the past, then this is your device.

4.0 out of 5 stars UPS and Jumbo Frames - Warning, August 29, 2012
Corey (South Florida) - See all my reviews
BOTTOM LINE: When I bought the Pro Duo for my home office, I thought I might regret not getting a faster (but more expensive) Synology NAS. But so far, I am quite pleased with the Pro Duo. It has performed very well. I bought the diskless version and installed my own drives, and it was a snap.

--------Update: 09/23/2012
Watch issues with JUMBO FRAMES when updating the firmware of the Pro Duo.

I recently upgraded the firmware of the Pro Duo to version 1.62, and my THROUGHPUT PLUNGED!! It went from 50MB/sec (as noted in the original review below) to less than 10MB/sec. The culprit (after two hours of trouble-shooting) was JUMBO FRAMES. My original configuration (with firmware v1.60) was:
* the Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller on my laptop set to Jumbo Frames of 9KB MTU,
* the Pro Duo was set to 9,694 bytes

After upgrading the firmware, I had to change the configuration (by trial-and-error) to:
* my laptop set to Jumbo Frames of 9KB MTU (unchanged),
* the Pro Duo was set to 7,422 bytes

I'm knocking a star off this review for this. Neither the release notes for firmware version 1.61 nor 1.62 mentions any changes to the jumbo frames implementation. I spent two hours testing my Ethernet cables, my gigabit switch/bridge, my laptop NIC, and even running a 18-hour RAID check to see if the Pro Duo firmware upgrade had corrupted the RAID 1 array. Indeed, I was about to pull out the two Western Digital Red drives to test them for potential S.M.A.R.T warnings/errors.

--- Original Review ----
If you intend to use a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) with the Pro Duo, MAKE SURE that you review Buffalo's UPS Compatibility List first!

I recently purchased a CyberPower 600W UPS CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD PFC Compatible 1000VA 600W Pure Sine Wave Tower UPS for my home office. However, the Pro Duo would not synchronize its power management with the CyberPower UPS. At first I thought that the provided USB cable might be faulty. After some research, I discovered that the CyberPower UPS is not (as of this writing) "compatible" with the Pro Duo.

For me, that's not a deal-breaker, as my concern is momentary power fluctuations, which are frequent in my area. So I can get by without the power management synchronization. But for others who must have the power management capability (for the UPS to signal the NAS to shutdown during a prolonged power outage), this might be an issue. There is a "UPS Compatibility List" from Buffalo, but (as of this writing) the links to the PDF document return HTML 404's. Perhaps one of the CyberPower representatives will kindly provide a working link in a comment to this review.

That said, I found the Pro Duo easy to set up and administer. I bought the diskless version, and separately purchased two 3-terabyte Western Digital "Reds" Western Digital 3 TB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare or OEM Drives WD30EFRX from Amazon. Disclaimer: although Western Digital designed the new "red" series drives specifically for SOHO NAS devices, these drives are NOT (as of this writing) on Buffalo's list of supported drives for the Pro Duo.

The drives were easy to install into the Pro Duo. As a side note, the Pro Duo defaults to RAID 0, so you must first "delete" the RAID 0 array, then create the RAID 1 array. For my 3-terabyte drives, it took the NAS nearly 18 hours to prepare the RAID 1 array. (The user manual says to expect this process to take about 6 hours per terabyte, so I was forewarned.)

The throughput to the Pro Duo has been better than I expected (for the price). As a test, I copied a 5GB encrypted file from the Pro Duo to the SSD on my laptop, and vice versa. My laptop and the Pro Duo are connected via Cat6 Ethernet cables to a D-Link DAP-1522 (Gigabit) bridge D-Link DAP-1522 Extreme 4-Port Gigabit Dual-Band Wireless-N Bridge/Access Point. Jumbo frames are enabled on both my laptop and the Pro Duo. When copying the 5GB file, Windows Explorer shows a throughput of slightly more than 50 MB/sec. That holds for both copying the 5GB file to the Pro Duo from the laptop, and vice versa. (Keep in mind that I bought a diskless Pro Duo and installed 3 terabyte WD "red" drives. So if you buy a Pro Duo that includes drives, your mileage may vary.)

For large file transfers from the Pro Duo to an external USB 2.0 drive connected to my laptop, the throughput has been roughly 42 MB/sec. (This is the more "real world" scenario for me concerning large file transfers.)

The web management console is functional. Not pretty or slick, but functional. I was able to find everything I need. I uninstalled the included "NAS Navigator" software after the initial setup.

I don't use the other features such as DLNA, iTunes server, etc.. so I cannot comment on those. Perhaps someday...

When I bought this drive, I thought I might regret not getting a faster (but more expensive) Synology NAS, but so far, I don't regret buying the Pro Duo. If having the absolute fastest throughput is not a concern, this is a great LAN for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Beginner's NAS, March 5, 2011
I looked long and hard at NAS boxes. I read the reviews and the forums at smallnetbuilder.com. I looked at all the manufacturers... Synology, Qnap, Netgear, and D-Link just to name a few. You had you usual great and bad reviews. When I started to compare ease of use and cost though, the Buffalo Linkstation started to rise to the top. Buffalo's NAS boxes had issues in the past, but this was a new version with pretty great specs. Comparable models from other companies above were over $150 more and most didn't come with the hard drives... so add another $140 for that.

When I got the unit it was much smaller than I expected, which was great. It fit nicely in my setup. Installation was simple. Plug it in, install the software, all done. A few more minutes to configure and I was good to go.

I have 3 desktops (1 vista and 2 Win7) and a laptop (WinXP) sharing all my media files from the LinkStation. I also have a Xbox 360 that can see and stream the data.

All in all, it was a great buy and a great value.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: Saves in XFS file system. Do yourself a favor and only buy NTFS or FAT32 file systems, December 15, 2013
DO NOT BUY THIS --- the problem is the data is saved in XFS format .... instead of the normal NTFS or FAT32 file system. What does that mean? The brains of the Linkstation translates your prized data into a format that is otherwise unreadable by Windows or Mac operating systems. And when the brains of the Linkstation fail, you are out of luck, as you will not be able to recover the data.

SAVE YOUR SELF, ONLY BUY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES THAT SAVE IN NTFS OR FAT32 FILE SYSTEM.

Please don't make the same mistake that I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Link Station standby, February 12, 2011
D. Olson (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
I am pleased with the Link Station in so far as it is a RAID device that provides me with 1TB of storage on my LAN. The device is not very Linux friendly however. It can be managed via a web browser under Linux but the unit will not awaken from a "sleep" mode unless the accessing machine is running a Windows application that wakes it up. There is a built in timer but that did not work well either. I scheduled it to turn off at night and it turned off but would not power back up at the scheduled time. My only choice is to let it run 24/7.

I also have an older Western Digital Network Addressable Storage device and it spins down after no disk accesses for a while and automatically spins back up when accessed. Seems so simple, wish Buffalo had done that.

If you run Windows and don't mind dedicating memory for the resident utility to turn the Link Station on/off it is a good unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Put your $money on another horse!, March 30, 2011
I bought this is an upgrade to an existing Buffalo Link Station which ran for years w/o issue or complaint. It seemed a glowing endorsement. But no ....

With less than 12 hours on the unit I had a disk error and RAID failure. Phone support was useless, endless time on hold only to be disconnected. An email to tech support resulted in a response a day or so later with reply to rebuild the array. A subsequent inquiry failed to properly provide this procedure which was not covered in the user manual. I eventually figured it out for myself. The unit ran for another 12 hours or so and has failed again. In the meantime I have waited for days to secure software upgrades from their website. Apparently I am one of MANY people who can't authenticate their S/N to the web site. A review of the forum show a lot of self help form other forum members, but little concrete support from Buffalo other than vague promises about an proposed firmware update that will fix everything and another promise "that our webmasters are working on it."

What's so frustrating is the lack of ANY concrete response.

So I've invested in the wrong horse and have spent $$ on hardware I can't rely on.

Rate and Discover Movies