4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, works fine so far
Published on June 6, 2008 by C. Chan

2.0 out of 5 stars Works, but is slightly infuriating
I bought this pump to empty a wash basin into which a washing machine drains, and to be fair, it does work. But it does it in a frustrating way -- by cycling on and off in 2-3 second bursts. I did install it exactly as indicated in the instructions -- underneath the wash basin, with the check valve in the noted location.

The problem seems to be that the switch...
Published on May 4, 2010 by David Perkowski

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, works fine so far, June 6, 2008
C. Chan (Rochester, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BUR CAM Pumps 300514W Automatic Laundry Tub Pump 1/3 Hp
I have very little plumbing experience but I found the pump to be relatively easy to install. The pump itself screws directly to the laundry tub using the supplied union coupling. Then all I had to do was connect the supplied check valve and ball valve and run PVC piping to the drain line. Installation took less than an hour. Works as described so far, just make sure your connections are tight to prevent leaks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope it Helps, November 14, 2012
This review is from: BUR CAM Pumps 300514W Automatic Laundry Tub Pump 1/3 Hp
Given: installed for laundry discharge in basement...no gravity sewer. Installed with new thermoplastic floor-mount utility tub. Discharge to gravity sewer 8' linear feet directly above tub.

Please keep in mind, I am only writing this for the potential buyer and a few comments from post buyers.

I purchased this pump because other similar systems i.e. tray pumps require a vent, which I did not have nearby and did not want to install. This was the best option. Pump was installed not directly under tub, as shown on picture for two reasons: first, I thought its mass combined with intermittent torque would eventually crack the tub; secondly, a few posts said water was standing in bottom of tub--meaning not enough pressure at switch to discharge all in tub. So, what I did was installed the pump off to the side of the tub and attached to the concrete wall (easy access for repairs)...solved mass and water in tub issue. I also, install a union before and after pump for easy of removal. I installed check valve that comes with pump right out of pump discharge line, but also installed inline sump pump check valve (vertical) about 6" above pump the reduce back pressure on furnished valve (did not think furnished check valve would last). Supplied directions for adjusting cycling of pump was correct. Please note, furnished ball valve is almost completely shut to stop cycling, but does keep-up with laundry discharge (I also got a large enough basin for that reason after reading the posts and direction before purchase.) Also, directions are adamant about using a strainer to reduce debris going into the pump. But, being used for laundry, lint is always building up in the strainer and cycling occurs. So, to eliminate this issue, I purchased a waist height footless woman's pantyhose and tied the two legs together in a knot and attached the waist with plastic zip-tie around the laundry discharge hose; catches all lint and debris, but must change every now and then based upon load count. I figured I can do about 60 loads before changing. Also, buy at the dollar store or cheap ones. I hope this helps somebody make an educated decision on buying; so much crap on the market today and misleading posts. Oh, don't forget to install with a GFCI. If somebody needs, I can take a picture and post...Good luck!

2.0 out of 5 stars Works, but is slightly infuriating, May 4, 2010
This review is from: BUR CAM Pumps 300514W Automatic Laundry Tub Pump 1/3 Hp

The problem seems to be that the switch turns the pump off once it starts to drain water -- perhaps because the pump is creating a vacuum at the water inlet, where the switch is located. The problem could be mitigated if the switch - just like my sump pump - would simply keep the pump on for 5-10 seconds each time it activated, rather than cutting off immediately when water is no longer sensed. It would also be great if the switch could be adjusted for sensitivity.

I contacted Bur-Cam about my problem. I think we had some communication difficulties -- the company is based in Quebec. Unfortunately, their only advice was to move the check valve to the top of my drain line, after the elevation gain. This would have been a lot of work for an experiment, and it seemed crazy to me so I never tried it. I can't understand how it would have any impact on the performance, and they couldn't explain it either.

I am pretty unhappy with this pump, but it does get the job done. If I had the decision to make again, I'd get a system with a holding tank and a sump-style pump for just a little more money. In fact, I am trying to kill this pump by washing buckets of mortar, drywall joint compound, etc. in the wash basin.

To its credit, it does seem to handle these things with relative ease, although my cheap sump pump can pump the same amount of water in about a tenth the time as this Bur-Cam pump. It is very slow.

3.0 out of 5 stars Once you make it through the installation it works., August 22, 2008
This review is from: BUR CAM Pumps 300514W Automatic Laundry Tub Pump 1/3 Hp
I was really irritated to find that in one part of the directions it said you needed a 1 1/2" fitting, then in another it says the pump outlet is 1", yet it's actually 1 1/4". So it took me twice as many trips to the hardware store as it should have, not to mention the fact that 1 1/4" is an odd size so it's harder to find the fittings to adapt to a standard 1 1/2" drain. Then, the ball valve that it comes with is absolute crap, it cracked while I was threading it on, before it was even snug. I noticed after removing it that the mold was incomplete so the wall was thinner on one side, and those things aren't cheap to go buy a new one. Other than that it works, now that it's in there. Kicks on when there's about 3" of water in the sink, and keeps up with the faucet until the water is turned off then it finishes draining the sink.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super powerful with great mounting hardware., November 16, 2008
This review is from: BUR CAM Pumps 300514W Automatic Laundry Tub Pump 1/3 Hp
This is one heavy duty pump. I have a pump that is about 15 years old that I thought was a workhorse, but this blows that out of the water. I mounted it in no time (all of the hard work was removing non standard pipe sizes and installing adapters to accommodate the output into the main drain line), and it works like a charm. The pressure switch works well, but I thought my pump was DOA when I first installed it because of the hum that came from the pump when only a little water was in it. Once we started using it with our washing machine, though, it kicked into full gear, and discharges ALL of the water very nicely. It even will cycle 2 more times after the water pressure comes off the switch so you know ALL of the water is pumped out! I couldn't be happier. Best investment I could have made!

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, January 23, 2009
This review is from: BUR CAM Pumps 300514W Automatic Laundry Tub Pump 1/3 Hp
Well, this is supposed to empty your laundry tub sink when the washing machine discharges into the tub. It did not work for me. The first problem was standing water in the laundry tub. If you wash your hands in the sink, there is not enough water to start the pump. In fact, it takes 2" of water in the tub for the pump to turn on. How would you like standing water in your laundry tub? Next, it could not keep up with our small, stackable, washer/dryer. When the washer discharges into the tub, any lint, or dirt from pants pockets, any hair, or other normal debris that washed out of your clothes, clogs up the drain of the laundry tub. (You have to protect the pump with screens) But, that caused our tub to overflow 3 times during rinse before we gave up and realized we would have to spend $160 more for a proper laundry filter. Then, to top it off. The seller charges a 25% restocking fee. So by the time you pay for freight both ways and the restocking fee! Well, you loose bigtime. This is just my experience. Oh yeah, the manufacture was very nice, but of no real help, the product did not work for me. If you need to lift grey water, check out the Zoeller 105 laundry pump system. It passes lint and solids up to .5" without filtering. Only $70 more.

1.0 out of 5 stars Second time around worse than the first time around, July 19, 2012
dikw (Sparta, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BUR CAM Pumps 300514W Automatic Laundry Tub Pump 1/3 Hp
I installed the 300514w automatic pump for about 2 years (or so) ago......the sensing device on the pump (a diaphram and probably a micro-switch) worked surprisingly well then. The pump would go on with a small amount of water such as washing one's hands, or a plate without food chunks on it.....it drained very well and left the water line slightly below the drain opening....but the pump assembly failed due to leakage out of the seals, which froze up the pump and/or motor bearings or shafts....it lasted for a couple months after the first signs of leakage but the assembly was in such a difficult to replace area I figured I would eventually have to replace the whole assembly, rather than just the parts.....that is exactly what happened.....Now the new assembly, freshly installed, really sucks......or maybe I should say, doesn't suck. It wont turn on until there is 2 or 3 inches of water in the basin which means all the dirty stuff will lay in your sink until there is enough water to activate the sensing device....then it doesn't suck out all the water....half the time it will stop with still an inch of water in the sink......
This new unit has a screw with a triangular hole (like an allen screw, but triangular) right in the center of the diaphragm switch, so I called the company and waited for a "technician" for 20 minutes, to whom I told my story.....he insisted on telling me that the cap on the supplied ball-check-valve had to be straight up and not cocked the slightest.....I see no reason for why a half inch tilt either way would have anything to do with the pump doing what I said.....then I asked if the screw in the center of the diaphragm maybe was an adjustment, (which the old pump, same model number, did not have) and he said "definitely not, there is no adjustment on the pump assembly"......when I asked him what the screw-like object was there for, he said quote, "I haven't a clue"..........Try that on for size.....If you dont have the foggiest notion of what it is, how do you know it is not an adjustment (??)....anybody out there know what it is?? I recommend NO purchase of this pump assembly without the ability to adjust.....I may screw off the old diaphragm and replace the new one to see if that will work....Good luck to those considering the pump.........................
PS I asked three different times what that screw-like item was in the middle of the diaphragm switch....no answer from anywhere so I still don't know what it is, but neither do they apparently.....deal with a US source and be better off...........

3.0 out of 5 stars After glitches, seems OK., January 20, 2012
This review is from: BUR CAM Pumps 300514W Automatic Laundry Tub Pump 1/3 Hp
First off, the fittings are 1-1/4", not the 1-1/2" the description and instructions call for. I was forewarned about that by another review, so was ready. Then, at first, the pump would not run. It just hummed. I had to manually get it going for a while, but it now seems to start on it's own every time, as if it needed to "break in". As long as it keeps running on it's own, I have to say it does the job. I use it on a laundry tub to pump washing machine discharge water up to septic level, about a 6 foot head. The washer gets a head start, but once the pump gets going, the tub is never more than 1/2 full. It then drains the tub to about 1" of water remaining, which stays there.

5.0 out of 5 stars and it works like a charm, August 14, 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars Pump does not work, May 6, 2010
J Adams "pel" (Portage, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BUR CAM Pumps 300514W Automatic Laundry Tub Pump 1/3 Hp
This pump was easy to install but does not work well. It turns on as soon as water reaches the top of the drain which is great, but the pump will continue to cycle on/off for some time after the water is drained. I gradually closed the flow valve until the pump stopped cycling. Unfortunately, the valve has to be almost completely closed which runs the pump for an extremely long time to drain and cannot keep up with the water from the washer.

If there was a way to manually adjust the pressure switch this would be a great pump.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

BUR CAM Pumps 300514W Automatic Laundry Tub Pump 1/3 Hp
$139.00 $135.82
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
Rate and Discover Movies