Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > PS3 Journey Collection forum

BUYER BEWARE: All Content is Downloadable! Disc Must Be In Drive To Play, Though.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 29, 2012 9:26:22 PM PDT
This is from a forum I'm on, and I'm glad I saw this before buying it:

So just a heads up for those wanting to have this "on disc"...it's not. The disc is just the installer files, it copies them to your hard drive, and you launch them from the XMB as if you bought them off PSN. But get this: You can't launch them from the XMB without the disc in the drive.

The soundtracks and art can all be exported to your hard drive. You get a code for 24 avatars, 8 of which are Journey and not on the store. There's 3 dynamic themes - flower, Journey, Journey concept art. First two you can buy on the store I think, but the last one I couldn't find.

The dev commentaries are just videos of the game with dialogue of them while playing and subtitles.

There manual includes about 8-10 pages of behind-the-scenes stuff too (not art, like how the GameJam happened and about the Team behind TGC).

If you don't have any of the games, then this is a really good deal. If you already have 1 or 2, I can't recommend it unless you're just a huge TGC fan/supporter.

Edit: And you get a month of PS+ too, so...there's that.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 6:06:49 AM PDT
Nathan M. says:
The Journey Concept Art dynamic theme was a bonus for PSN preorders. It may also have been available to PlayStation Plus members as well.

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 2:46:36 PM PDT
Yeah I got that one when I preordered Journey. Very disappointed the games are not on disc. Not sure why they would do that and then require the disc in there to play. I mean I get the reason to require the disc (so you can't spread it around to all your friends) but just don't see why they couldn't have been on disc. They're less than 3 gigs in total.

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 6:42:27 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 6, 2012 9:20:55 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 2:16:38 AM PDT
thatgamecompany's Community Manager here:
So, Journey is $15, Flower is $10, and flOw is $8. Buying them separately is $33.
Seeing as you get avatars, soundtracks ($5, 3, and 5), a documentary, mini-games that will only ever be available on the CE, and developer commentaries, hopefully you'd rather get the disc.

For the stuff you can buy, it's $48, so you save $18 if you get the disc and are willing to put the disc in to play.

As for keeping the disc in when you play, there are a bunch of downloadable titles that have to have the disc in to play. The LittleBigPlanet and Battlefield bonuses, for example, had to have the disc in to play, even though they were separate titles.

flOw, Flower, and Journey were all made to play off the PS3 and not on a disc, so there would have been much more work done on the games, driving up costs and delaying the release of the CE, if not preventing its release completely.

So, in order to make this happen, we, together with Sony, decided the best course of action was to have it playable only with the disc in the PS3.

(I was also upset when I found out that the CE's games had to be downloaded and you needed the disc in, but at least it packs in a ton of great content, much of it would not have been available at all.)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 3:18:45 AM PDT
Hey Aaron,

Thanks for the response. I completely agree that considering the prices, this is a heckuva deal! However my frustration was solely on the part of them being downloadable and being tied into the disc. As I said the requirement to have a disc, considering it's downloadable, makes sense from a standpoint of not wanting to allow used game sales, or people just sharing one game copy around, however it is just frustrating because I really was excited to get it because it'd be a nice thing to have on disc, and I could let a friend play it to get him interested.

He would never buy the games unseen, because it didn't seem like something he would like. However I felt the same way when seeing the trailers for flowers and that's one of my top 5 all time PSN games.

Also I would like to point out that my reasoning for the title to this thread, "Buyer Beware" was for those who were explicitly wanting it on disc. Some in other threads were hesitant to buy it because they were afraid they would be DL codes for the games (like the GOW collection that apparently some of the games were DL codes). I posted this to at least let them know so they didn't buy something they would not be happy with.

If someone doesn't have the games, and don't mind the DL aspect, I encourage people to get it, though.

BTW: if anyone is interested, here is my review of "Journey".

http://www.searchingforchetbaker.com/2012/03/review-thatgamecompanys-journey-psn.html

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 5:15:17 PM PDT
mattack says:
>flOw, Flower, and Journey were all made to play off the PS3 and not on a disc, so there would have been much more work done on the games, driving up costs and delaying the release of the CE, if not preventing its release completely.

Wait, isn't that saying that they were made to be played off of the hard drive?

>So, in order to make this happen, we, together with Sony, decided the best course of action was to have it playable only with the disc in the PS3.

If so, then this part doesn't follow from the last part.

(It seems to me just some kind of DRM scheme. Since I obviously put the discs into my PS3 to play for other games, this doesn't really bother me, but your statements don't seem to follow.)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 6:18:41 AM PDT
Yup, I completely understand. I just wanted to make sure that I gave an explanation as to why it is the way that it is.

I would certainly have preferred everything to be on the disc, but there wasn't too much leeway in that aspect.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 12:01:17 AM PST
G. Larson says:
To me there is a huge difference between an installation from the disc and a download. There are a number of advantages to playing off the hard drive rather than the blu-ray disc. If all files are on the disc, I can't see that it has any of the disadvantages of a download. The only disadvantage vs. the download is the requirement to insert the disc to play.

Are these downloads? Do they require an online connection? Or are they fully contained on the disc but require installation?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 2:20:55 PM PST
(thatgamecompany's Community manager here)
They are on the disc only as install files.
You install them on your PS3 directly from the disc.
The disc is then basically used to ensure that you don't sell the disc after installing the files. You have to have it in your PS3 whenever you want to play the games, but an internet connection is not required for anything.

That said, Journey does have online multiplayer.

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 9:35:41 AM PST
C. Puma says:
I see the Journey Collectors edition being sold as a used game in the amazon store. Would I be able to purchase the disc, load it in the PS3, and download the files with no issue? Or would additional purchases of the game be required through the PSN? If so, then I don't see any point in purchasing it used. Can anyone clarify?

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 3:22:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2013 3:24:31 PM PST
James says:
This is a really old post, but I thought I'd chime in anyway as I got the game on an Amazon discount when it dropped a few dollars.

All the games are installers ON THE DISC. It's not like you're asked to go onto PSN and enter a voucher code. Journey, Flow, Flower and the indie game extras by thatgame company are printed on the actual disc. It just asks you to install the data to the hard drive. As it was mentioned previously, the binaries were optimized to be run from the hard drive. Assuming they never remapped the files and reworked the game to load constantly off disc, they just put the installers there. I think of it akin to when you install some games and there are mandatory hard drive installs.

It's nice to know that for each of the games, you can also choose to export soundtracks to your Music folder on your PS3.

The items not included on the disc are for the PSN avatar icons - that's a paper voucher with a code. So if the game is used, the avatars might not be attainable if the previous owner redeemed that code. The themes are on the disc so you will have them to install to the PS3 at your discretion :)

I was on the fence, too. But I didn't actually own flow yet and I was curious about the other bonuses. I wasn't disappointed but I'm probably in the hardcore thatgamecompany supporter fanbase :) I already owned Journey and flower prior to buying this disc, by the way.

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 6:12:38 PM PST
I do NOT recommend buying Journey The Collector's Edition if you are looking to purchase the game Journey. This is in no a way reflection on the game itself, which has great reviews. You can save yourself hours of aggravation trying to get the game started. I never was able to get mine started. I spent hours on the phone talking to Playstation customer personnel who were clueless as to how to solve the problem. The game is NOT on the disk, it is downloaded. I plan on returning mine to get the disk version.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2014 6:17:55 PM PST
Marilyn, there is no disk version. At least not the way you're thinking. It was not a retail release. It's a small indie digital release. They released this set to combine all three of their PSN games along with a bunch of extras.

The game, should start fine, once you have it downloaded and installed.

I would suggest perhaps contacting ThatGameCompany and let them know exactly what you are doing and how you are doing it, go step by step, and I'm sure they'll be able to help you.

The game is magical, and you should definitely get the enjoyment of playing it. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2014 5:40:15 PM PST
Customer says:
Ive dl the three games from the store so does that mean I can add the dl stuff from the disc to my acct and still play without the disc as I do now? And then have the avatars I missed the day it was released. So ill have the dl version and the so called disc versions. So im hoping I get all the dl stuff from the dusc avatars etc. And the dl version supercedes the disc version as far as playability.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Aug 29, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
PS3 Journey Collection
PS3 Journey Collection by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
4.6 out of 5 stars (573)