4.0 out of 5 stars Good iron
I love the size and the swivel end on the cord. It does damage your hair quite a bit, like any flat iron will. I wish I could get it closer to my roots is all.
Published on February 23, 2013 by MavinAJFan

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a kknockoff
Published 9 months ago by MahoganyChynaDoll

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a kknockoff, June 3, 2014
Bought the iron in December of 2013 and after I first used it, I thought to myself that it wasn't as good as the Babyliss my stylist used on my natural hair. With just one stroke with her iron my hair was bone straight. I told her recently that I bought one online from Amazon and she shook her head and said "Knockoff". She gave me the number to BaByliss to verify authenticity and sure enough she was correct it's a fake. This explains a lot, like it not straightening my hair, burning my hair, and the paint chipping after using it only 3X. I found out from Babyliss/Conair that it is not recommended to purchase any product with their name on Amazon or Ebay because they are normally knockoffs and neither company make sure their sellers are selling authentic merchandise. So, I got what I paid for, which was crap. Luckily, Jcpenney had the iron on sell for $105 with a 15% off coupon and I paid about $84 for a real babyliss, conair verified authenticity.
PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT A TRUE BABYLISS FLAT IRON WILL NOT CHIP OR PULL YOUR HAIR BECAUSE OF THE SPECIAL PAINT THAT IS USED AND THE TYPE OF PLATES THEY MAKE.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good iron, February 23, 2013
This review is from: BaByliss Pro - Porcelain Plate Ceramic Flat Iron - 1 Inch - model: BABP9557 (Health and Beauty)

3.0 out of 5 stars Plates Don't Touch, July 7, 2010
So, after reading all of the excellent reviews on this iron, I purchased it. The item arrived in a timely manner, and I was excited. I opened the box and took the iron out of its packaging. When 'trying out' the iron in my hands, I noticed that the plates do not close all the way when you clamp down. :/ The front end was the only spot the plates touched together. The rest of their length was left open by at least a full centimeter. I can see how it would straighten thick, coarse hair just fine. But for my own fine/thin strands, there is just no way this iron could get the job done. So sad. Especially because return shipping is going to be at least $10, so it's like paying $14 just to find out a product doesn't work for you. Ridiculous. I'm entirely bummed.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FOR ALL TYPES OF HAIR, December 1, 2011
I have thick hair and I am African American. Because of the high temps, this flat iron can tame any wild fro! I love it! It has cool tips so you can curl your hair as well as a swiveled cord so it won't get tangled.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2.5inch Iron that Perfectly Straightens Long Hair in Half The Time., April 26, 2009
Was looking for an affordable and effective flat iron that was wide and light enough to straighten my 16-18inch hair and this was what the doctor ordered.

Smaller 1inch and 1-1/4inch flat irons take forever to smooth out long tresses. At 2.5inches this iron definitely gets the work done in half the time. It

It's porcelain plates glides over ones hair effortlessly and it made my hair super straight, silky and shiny. It has different settings, so don't worry about frying your hair.

Also, The iron works really well with hair extensions( silky, wet and wavy and body waves) and all types of coarse hair.

It's a very effective and inexpensive ( well not as expensive as the Chi's and the FHI's) product and it looks more expensive than it costs and more importantly does a superb job. Don't hesitate to get it if you have long hair and cant stand using those itty bitty 1 inch contraptions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where has this iron been all my life?, August 29, 2011
I don't normally use flat irons. As a matter of fact, I rarely even use a blowdryer. I'm not what you call savvy when it comes to styling straight hair, as I stopped relaxing my naturally coarse hair (4b, I believe) back in 2007 and have experimenting with natural styles (braids, twists, etc.). So, I starting using Organix's Brazilian Keratin treatment a few months ago, and even though I was thrilled with results (super soft, very manageable hair) I could tell that the iron I was using was getting hot enough. A little searching on good ole Amazon and I found this iron for about 20 bucks. It took nearly a month before the seller finally got it to my mailbox, I did the Keratin treatment on Saturday and just flat ironed my hair again this morning. I CANNOT believe how SMOOTH and SHINY my hair is! The only time I have had similar results was when my was hot combed... I'm blown away!! Such great results for a fraction on the price! I'll be purchasing the 2" soon!

1.0 out of 5 stars Curly hair sue, August 4, 2010
Ater reading all the reviews, I was excited to finaly buy a flat iron that worked for a reasonable price. CAUTION!!!!! After I used it a couple of times it was great but the third time I used it on my niece's hair, when I was finishing it burned a small piece of hair off and the plates melted. The flat iron was smoking!!!! I had also purchased the babyliss 2000 at the same time and noticed the blow dryer attachement piece had melted also!!! The company said they will send me a refund that the flat iron had malfunctioned by overheating and they believe it was an isolated incident. The blow dryer is still being investigated as to why it melted the attachment piece. I strongly encourage anyone who has an experience like mine to make sure they put it in writing as I did because when I initially called they simply said "oh, do u want a replacement" like it was normal for a flat iron to smoke and the plates to melt. Not to mention a small piece of my nieces hair burned off! Thank goodness I caught it in time. I don't want anyone to experince the same thing or even a worse situation!! SO PLEASE CAUTION!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars coarse tightly curly cotton- like hair!!! GONE, April 15, 2010
bought it because i saw the reviews from you guys, skeptically i got it with the understanding that i would send it back to Amazon in case it didn't work... sorry amazon, i'm keeping it... but i think its better to have someone iron your hair for you just so he/she can blow that hot steam away.

i recently decided not to perm my hair anymore, so my hair is back to natural,ie.. very coarse and hairy ha ha ha yes i'm black... i love the way my hair feels its just that combing takes time and sometimes hurts and after a while my hair gets puffy and very very curly... i look like i got a big cotton on top of my head i actually dont need a pillow ha!

i received this iron on 4/14/10 used it on the same day, wish i could send the pics to make believers out of you... dramatic differences from before..i started braiding my hair last year and just cut off all the permed hair so it was only the new hair that i had my sis ironed for me... she's going to buy one too... we were amazed: one minute it was hard to comb my hair, and the next even those small combs went through with no problem... one problem for the 400F-450F do not comb until the hair is cool (they actually said that) but i didn't listen and it melted my beautiful little comb...

okay thats it... i hope i was helpful, because you guys were very helpful to me

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the line straightener, October 12, 2011
Cypher (The Land of the Hidden Sun (Portland OR)) - See all my reviews
My hair is relatively straight (about 2b, if we want to be precise) and fairly thick, although fine. I don't straighten it fully very often anymore as Im trying to grow it out and want to baby it as much as possible. That said, when I do go to straighten my hair, its great to have such a high quality tool to use.

I love how fast it heats up. The package says it takes a minute, but usually its warm as soon as I turn it on. I keep it at a fairly low temperature though, so your mileage may vary. The plates also heat evenly, no hot spots!

I also appreciate that the cord swivels. I like to curl my hair occasionally with my flat iron and this makes a swiveling cord a must.

The controls are also very straight forward. A power button, a dial marked with the various temperatures, and a light to indicate when its on.

Really there isn't any thing I dislike about this item, especially given the very reasonable price. I would recommend it to just about anyone looking for a top quality straightener.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great before it broke, March 24, 2012
Nice straightener! It works really well just like the CHI I used to own. It heats up really quick and does the job well. The only problem I have with it is the on/off button and heat adjustment knob looks cheaply made. It's more of an appearance thing, my CHI looked top to bottom like a product made with great material. This one just appears to have more of a cheap plastic look to it, but just the button/knob part, the rest of it looks really good. I guess I was just surprised, but for the price it does just as good as those expensive CHI straighteners. If I had been able to afford a more expensive straightener by Babyliss I would hope the buttons don't look like cheap plastic. Otherwise, 5 stars still because it works great! Babyliss makes awesome straighteners, even the cheaper ones such as this one works nicely.

UPDATE***
Just a couple days after writing this review my straightener stopped working. I have only had this straightener for 24 days before it broke. I didn't drop it or expose it to water, suddenly one morning it just didn't heat up. It turns on, but the plates don't get even remotely warm. It showed no signs of failure prior, in fact I used it the day before and it was great. I just wish it would not have broken, and it still deserves 4 stars because it worked well when it was working. I noticed there was something inside the straightener that seemed loose, when I shook it a bit it sounded like a piece of plastic had broken off or something inside. Maybe something did fall apart inside and that's why it broke, I feel this straightener could have been made with better material. As I mentioned previously, the buttons and knob had a cheap plastic look to it, I was going to get an exchange but turns out fulfillment by Amazon is refund only. So I suppose I'm taking my refund and spending it on another straightener instead. I'm just paranoid even though I feel I just got a defective one.