Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Vinyl|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 25, 2012
This album is beautiful. Truly. It doesn't disappoint.

There's always a bit of trepidation when you start listening to a second release by a band/musician that you love- you worry that there'll be some dramatic change in musical style or songwriting, etc.

But have no worries- the classic Mumford & Sons sound is totally here- if anything, it sort of FLOURISHES on "Babel". There are the great, clever lyrics ("press my nose up to the glass around your heart"), the layered building of each song into a sort of soaring crescendo, all that good stuff. Just even better. Their sound is richer without being too polished or manufactured in any way. They are all just doing more of what they are so good at.

I love that this album is designed as a whole- there was clearly a lot of thought put in the way the songs were ordered. In this age of MP3s and individual tracks, arranging tracks for an album seems to be something some artists don't too much thought to, but there's a nice structure to "Babel", as a whole. I have enjoyed listening to it as a complete album, which is sort of rare these days. When it's over I just start it up at the beginning and play it all again. Even the more spare songs (which I don't love as much as I love when the band goes all out) appeal to me when the album is played as a whole.

My favorite thing about Mumford & Sons is that when they play, whether live or on their albums, you can almost *hear* the circle they might be standing in, hear the connection between the musicians, hear the music reverberating off the walls, hear that they are playing together as opposed to facing in one direction and playing off into the distance. There's an energy in their music that seems to be formed from the way the songs sound like true collaborations rather than "there's the drums, there's the vocals, here comes the guitar, here's some banjo..." And this sort of "connection" that they seem to have, musically, is even more apparent on this album.

As far as their cover of "The Boxer"- I have to admit, I'm a huge fan of Simon and Garfunkel and I was both super excited and super nervous to hear Mumford's take on the classic song- it's sort of one of those "holy grail" songs to me. But it's lovely version of the song- of course, it's not as epic as the original, but it has found a place on my latest playlist and if it helps expose S&G to a new generation, that would be amazing.

Bottom line- I can't stop listening to "Babel" and I don't *want* to. It's a lovely album, very moving, very clever, very sweet, all at the same time. I highly recommend it.
77 comments| 201 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2012
This is another great album from Mumford & Sons. I purchased the vinyl version and wanted to comment that it does come with a digital download card. This was a great relief since it doesn't mention anything of that in the description of the product. Great purchase, worth every cent.

I'll repeat again so people see it.

The vinyl of the album DOES come with a digital download code!

EDIT: the download is of a rip off the vinyl so it does include some sound flaws in it.
99 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Mumford & Sons 2012 effort Babel is easily one of the year's most anticipated efforts. A solid album overall, first time Mumford & Sons fan may enjoy Babel `better' than the most invested fans; more invested fans may pinpoint Babel as `formulaic' and `safe' rather than innovative. Arguments presented, Babel is sure-fire commercial hit that may not necessarily `progress' the band's artistry to `the next level' as expected. A superb group of musicians, as good as Babel is, it may be ever so slightly humbler than the hype.

Opener "Babel" is characterized by Mumford & Sons's `rhythmic machine' (acoustic guitar, banjo) and set in six-eight time. Ben Lovett's piano provides a chordal foundation, preempting contrast from Marcus Mumford's gritty vocals in favor of smoother, more melodic-centered vocals. "Babel" is ultimately well conceived; it ends with cliffhanging airy pad segueing into "Whispers in the Dark."

"Whispers in the Dark" possesses constant rhythmic motion throughout the verses, though it is softer allowing for Marcus's vocals to shine without strain. `Wall of sound' vocals aid in giving the record an inviting timbre, committed to folk. "Whispers" is less emotionally dynamic than "Babel" however.

"I Will Wait" receives valedictory honors easily. Highlights include supporting vocal harmonizations as well as sound vocal production overall. Songwriting is superb by all means. Add excellent pacing with an eventual fruition of production including piercing horns and "I Will Wait" seems a shoe-in for Grammy nominations (Record and/or Song of the Year).

"Holland Road" keeps Mumford & Sons on `autopilot.' The harmonic scheme is similar to "I Will Wait," while the pace is slower, a stark contrast. Mumford's vocals are emotional and sincere. Add a splash of brass and "Holland Road" is easily on the same plane as "Babel" or "I Will Wait."

"Ghost That We Knew" comes off shy of the level of the aforementioned "Babel," "I Will Wait" or "Holland Road," but delivers sound songwriting, most notably on the chorus: "So give me hope in the darkness that I will see the light/Cause oh that gave me such a fright..." There is not too much to trivialize, save for some `predictability' (the unwinding ending) and length at nearly six minutes.

"Lover of the Light," takes a subtle approach prior to Mumford `letting it rip.' The melody highlights and is clearly discernible. "Lover of the Light" benefits its chorus, much like "Ghost..." did: "But love the one you hold/and I'll be your goal/to have and to hold/A lover of the light." The instrumental timbres within the production add to a list of positives. Even so, the cut is a bit lengthy.
"Lovers' Eyes" delivers a well-paced, well thought out cut. Vocal production is clear and Mumford's lead vocals sincere as he references religion, forgiveness, and love: "Cuz I feel numb beneath your tongue/your strength just makes me feel less strong/do not ask the price I pay for I must live with my quiet rage..." Mumford's overt outro seals the deal: "But I'll walk slow, I'll walk slow/take my hand, help me on my way..." As Al Green would put it, "Simply Beautiful."

"Reminder" gives the listener a simple, brief cut at 2:04. Not among the `elite,' it is a solid and lovely showing. "Hopeless Wanderer," lacks little `unpredictability' here, which hurts its cause. With the `deck of cards' revealed, this is a solid track where one desires a bit more `shake up' within the formula.

"Broken Crown" is the best of the quartet then closes Babel. Horns tighten up sound even if it follows a similar formula. "Broken Crown" lifts some "Little Lion Man" swag by dropping the f-bomb within the chorus if nothing else. "Below My Feet" delivers nothing new per say while closing cut "Not With Haste" is solid, though average compared against juggernaut "I Will Wait." The Deluxe edition tacks on three bonus cuts ("For Those Below," "The Boxer" featuring Jerry Douglas and Paul Simon, and "Where Are You Now"), bringing the total number of songs to fifteen.

Overall, Babel is a solid, enjoyable album. It could potentially land multiple Grammy nominations (just made the submission deadline), even as lofty as the coveted `Album of the Year.' That said, Babel is not necessarily `THE best album' I've personally reviewed this year, but contains the sensibilities and `cadences' of what the Recording Academy likes for sure. The biggest quibbles personally are that the band can/should take more risks instead of clinging to safety and `formulaic' means. The perceptible predictability could be easily eradicated with minor changes and `tricks.' Babel gets it done, but album no. 3 needs to `take the next step'; 3 ½ Stars.
on September 25, 2012
This album is not bad, but it's not great either...definitely not as great as Sigh No More. The album starts incredibly strong; the first track is probably my favorite off the entire album, but after a few songs it slows down quite a bit and each song starts sounding like the last, and the question, "Is that the same banjo riff I heard in the last two songs?" inevitably creeps into the mind. Considering the long and impressive journey their first album took to reach the popularity it eventually did, the Sons had a LOT to live up to. This is a fine effort by the band, but I will admit it left me a bit underwhelmed. With that said, there are certainly some gems on this album and an overall nostalgia that make it worth picking up.
99 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2012
This is Mumford. If you loved the first album, you will love this one. They don't stray far from their excellent formula and at first listen most of it sounds very much the same. This is an album that needs to grow on you. After 4 or 5 listens you'll really begin to appreciate the subtle brilliance and creative song writing. Mumford and Sons are true artists in a sea of overproduced radio music.
on November 20, 2012
After a year of touring non-stop, people were afraid Mumford & Sons wouldn't be able to pull together another amazing album.

I am happy to report that this is not the case in any way. Babel's climbing crescendos and twangy banjo show that Mumford & Sons are the same great band. They've lost none of the energy that made them great upon the first hearing. Marcus Mumford belts out the lyrics with the same meaningful force.

If you're looking for more of the Mumford & Sons signature style, look no further. This is the album we've all been waiting for.
on June 15, 2015
I enjoy 'Babel' far more than 'Sigh No More' (I love this album, though)! Marcus' voice is just amazing. I love the emotion that you fee as you listen along. If you ever get the chance to see these guys in concert, I highly recommend that you do so! You will not be sorry... one of the best concerts I have ever been to.
on November 12, 2012
I realize you can't make everyone happy, but this sounds an awful lot like "Sigh No More". Still good, but I think they were just trying to solidify their fan base and increase their exposure, and to their credit, they did so quite successfully. By the time of this review, "Babel" has already gone platinum.
on December 2, 2013
My wife and I were really excited to hear this new CD from Mumford & Sons since their first CD just blew us away. I'm a musician in a street folk band (Don't Forget Your Shoes), and so I know how hard it is to write music and keep high standards. But this CD feels like it was just churned out to meet a record company deadline, and it lacks the innovative instrumentation and lyrics that so captivated us with Mumford & Sons first album. All the tracks are very similar sounding and are hard to differentiate with a few exceptions... Hopefully they'll be able to mix it up for future albums-- we are still fans of this band, even if we felt disappointed by this CD.
on November 20, 2012
I came upon these guys while listening to the Avett Brothers radio on Pandora. I loved them from the start. The harmonies in their blended instruments as well as their voices (at times) is very appealing. If you are a fan of alt-folk-rock in a hearty form, then you will love this album and this band. highly recommend.