5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but too much work on the parents!
Published on November 9, 2008 by Lil Kim

1.0 out of 5 stars Get ready for another child!
Published on December 4, 2008 by Brenda L. Dowland

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but too much work on the parents!, November 9, 2008
This review is from: Baby Alive Learns to Potty (Toy)
This doll is fun to play with, and my daughter had some interest with using the potty after playing with this doll, however it is too much work on the parent. You have to mix the babies food, then you have the dishes that comes with the doll to wash, or the food will stain the bowl and spoon. You have to keep on feeding the doll its bottle till the "pee" is clear that runs out of the doll, or the food will harden inside the doll, and may break the doll down to where it doesn't funtion properly anymore. The accessories such as the babies food, and diapers are sold seperate, which gets pricey like having a real baby! I guess that is why it is called baby alive! Also, when the doll makes a "stinky" you have to wipe her down with a wet cloth or the baby food that comes out from her bottom will leave a stain on her butt, or legs if it drips down. Feeding the doll is a mess too, so you have to constantly wash the dolls bib. Overall the doll is educational, and it does help a child want to go potty, but I suggest to parents to buy a potty training doll without the mess, especially if you have other things you could be doing with your precious time then to wash a dolls bowl and spoon, and bib, and feed its bottle for like 20 minutes till its insides are cleaned out from the doll food!

4.0 out of 5 stars No mess when you use the empty spoon and bottle, and still lots of fun., December 25, 2008
This review is from: Baby Alive Learns to Potty (Toy)
My 4.5 year old daughter requested a "doll that poops" for Christmas, so I got her this doll. I thought she would be thrilled with the doll, as she's fascinated with all things to do with poops and pee. She loves, loves, LOVES this doll!!! She plays with it *all* day and has so much fun doing so. Her two male cousins (age 5 and 3) are also very taken with the doll (especially the older one).

Not wanting to deal with potential doll 'accidents' during a hectic family holiday, I didn't even show my daughter that the doll doll can eat 'real' food and water, and she has a wonderful time feeding the doll with the empty spoon (the doll moves her mouth to chew and makes appropriate noises) and the empty bottle. When the doll needs to excrete, she says she needs to go to the potty, so my daughter removes the diaper, places her on the potty, and the doll makes the sound of 'tinkle' landing in the potty. If she's not taken to the potty soon enough, she reports her accident and requests to be cleaned up. My daughter loves to clean her up (despite the lack of a real mess), by giving her a wipe with one of wipe cloths that comes with the doll and giving her a clean diaper. Buy a pack of premie or newborn diapers to have a reasonable supply of diapers. You can keep re-using them until the tabs wear out, when using my pretend food and drink strategy.)

My daughter is thoroughly enjoying having a doll that pees and poops for her, but she (and I) don't have the hassle of dealing with real dolly messes. I think we'll stick with this method for a long time. Another alternative to add more realism without the full mess is to just use water in the bottle and food bowl (call it 'soup' in the bowl). Then you'd have a doll that actually expels something, but less mess in a worst case scenario. Plus you don't have to spend any extra time flushing out the doll's insides to clean out any bits of 'food' left behind.)

My daughter needed help with getting diaper back on for a fair number of the initial diaper changes, especially when re-using a clean diaper - those tabs can be tricky when they catch on the wrong part of the diaper. I expect a younger child (say age 3) would need even more help.

The interactive things the doll does - like asking for a hug, or asking you to sing with her are quite sweet, and really make my daughter happy. The doll has a large 'vocabulary' of phrases and varies what she says quite a bit, so the doll seems more alive, rather than a robot running through a fixed script. I think this doll has real staying power. I've talked with a fair number of adults who adored the original version of the doll (during the 70s) in their childhood.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Get ready for another child!, December 4, 2008
This review is from: Baby Alive Learns to Potty (Toy)
This doll is kind of awful. My daughter got one as a gift and she was THRILLED. I hate this thing. I think it's important to realize it REALLY requires as much care and upkeep and cleaning and so on that you may start considering never having another of your own. This doll is VERY time consuming for the parent. The replacements are expensive. My daughter REALLY liked just pretending with the diapers, but they will NOT restick, so buy preemie generic store replacements with a velcro tab. That's my best advice.
For me personally, I'm THROUGH buying diapers, lol! My daughter tired of it quickly, I never bought more food, though I did diapers, because the cleaning is SUCH a pain. I put it in my attic for another time so maybe one day she'll be interested again. She was 5 when she got it. Your child may love it, but you will loathe it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Training Tool!, October 26, 2008
This review is from: Baby Alive Learns to Potty (Toy)
I also bought this to help potty train my son. The book "How to Potty Train in Less Than a Day" suggested a wetting doll. I thought the idea was ridiculous at first. I didn't know anyone else who used a doll. Well...I trained my son in two days while it took everyone else I knew weeks or months. I owe a lot to this little doll. He also enjoys playing with her now, although this doesn't make daddy too happy! She is just too much fun...

1.0 out of 5 stars This doll is much to complicated for a 3-4 year old, November 16, 2008
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Baby Alive Learns to Potty (Toy)
I bought this doll for my 3 year old grandaughter, beleiving all the time that the feeding, potty training, diaperchange, etc. is just a formality that she'll be able practice and enjoy by herself too.
Never tought that if she doesn't feed the doll correctly, the doll food may stain some surface , or if she forgets to make the doll drink, the food gets stuck inside the doll , or for that matter, the diapers or even the food is not reusable.
For God's sake.... this is a doll!! and the child is just 3 years old!

Why didn't you let us know that we have to keep buying the food and diapers as if the doll was a real baby???
Why are not these things resuable????

Beleive me... this doll is only fun for a 3 or 4 year old if the mom takes care of the doll - and the mom rather wants an educational toy that the child can experiment with by herself too.

For me, it was a big disappointment!

5.0 out of 5 stars You people are crazy!, December 26, 2008
This review is from: Baby Alive Learns to Potty (Toy)
I dont understand why anybody woud rate this doll less then a 5. This doll is the most amazing doll in the world. She says the cutest things to my daughter. The clean up is a little more then the average doll. But duh! The doll pees and poops. Luckily for me, my daughter is 4 and she understands how to give the doll a water bottle after every feeding. The doll did an accident on a metal chair and my daughter got some wipes and cleaned up the mess. It was very cute because she was talking to her and explaining that she needs to hold it next time. She has different play modes that are very simple to navigate through (hungry,play, potty, nap). She doesnt go to sleep immediately and it is so sweet watching my daughter shush her to bed. VERY good toy for the 4 year old in my house and she cleans up her mess!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this doll!, December 27, 2008
This review is from: Baby Alive Learns to Potty (Toy)
We received this doll for my almost 3 year old for Christmas...it is absolutely disgusting! I followed the instructions (alternate solid food/bottle) and we couldn't get the doll to poop or pee. After about two minutes of staring at the doll, poop and pee started pouring out of the diaper all over the floor....this disgusting green liquid spread out around the doll, and my daughter was horrified. Then we tried just plain water...the doll wouldn't pee, so I picked it up and it THREW UP all over the place! This thing is like the bride of Chucky!
As an added insult, the "food" stains! My hands were dyed a yellowish-green for the entire day!
My daughter was so excited to receive this toy, but ended up completely freaked out by it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, November 5, 2010
This review is from: Baby Alive Learns to Potty (Toy)
I had originally thought of buying my daughter a mommy walks and giggle doll but after reading reviews on it I realized that the doll didn't do much..Then I came across Baby Alive and I just knew it was the one. I saw product demos on youtube and read reviews on it and I knew it was worth a shot. Im soo glad I ordered it because the doll was amazing.. my daughter was laughing and feeding her it was soo cute!!! I recommend this product!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for the appropriate age, December 27, 2008
This review is from: Baby Alive Learns to Potty (Toy)
My (mature) 4 yr old LOVES this baby. She feels like a real mommy when she needs to take baby potty, feed, and clean her. I would NOT recommend this as a teach-your-kid-to-potty toy because it will require a lot of parent involvement for ANY aspect of play, considering the age (about 2) of usual potty training. You can also look up online how to make your own food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for kids and collectors alike, November 3, 2011
This review is from: Baby Alive Learns to Potty (Toy)
I brought this doll for my doll collection and don't understand why anyone wouldn't like it. She's such a pretty little doll and so much fun to play with. Baking soda and water replaces the pre-packaged food perfectly and it's possible to replace the disposable diapers with cloth ones from ebay that only cost about $3.50 and can be washed and dried after use. I've only had the doll for 24 hours, but I'm well and truly in love.

Baby Alive Learns to Potty