5.0 out of 5 stars Information.......
Published 7 months ago by Jillybean59226

2.0 out of 5 stars Super cute, but not for babies WITH teeth.
Published on October 4, 2011 by JBoo2509

5.0 out of 5 stars Information......., August 31, 2013
This review is from: Baby Banana Bendable Training Toothbrush, Infant (Baby Product)
This item has caused somewhat of a debate between customers. It seems that many have used this as a teether and the bristles have come off causing negative reviews. These reviews have been met with some belligerence from parents who have purchased and had great experiences with this product and feel as though the problem is more in line with lack of parental guidance and understanding, rather then the product itself. Id like to add my 2 cents, as well as some new info.

First off, I have found that the defending parents are correct in their assessment that this product states nowhere in the description that this is a teether, perhaps parents are coming to the conclusion that this is a teether by the references the description makes to " soothing the gums"?

While I do agree that parental guidance is necessary with any product you give your child and do feel that this along with better understanding the design and use intended for products plays a large role in preventing injury and hazards in children. I also have to agree with the customers who feel that this product should have made with more durability, as should any product intended for babies/toddlers, as it will endure rough use.

Everyone here is missing the obvious, whether this product is advertised as a teether or toothbrush is irrelevant. Children in the age bracket this product targets do not posses the ability or understanding as of yet to brush their teethe. Any item placed in their mouth will be met with the instinct to chew and will become a teether at any rate.

This is advertised as a product that "encourages" oral hygiene and tooth-brushing skills and should have been designed and created with the durability to withstand the chewing that will inevitably take place, no matter in what fashion a parent allows their child to use it.

I have found some new info that may be of interest to anyone who is considering purchasing this item and may put any negativity or debate regarding this product to rest.

I happen to find this item and therefore all of the controversy surrounding its use while looking at it for almost 18 month old daughter. After coming to the conclusion that this product is not for us, as it is recommend until age 12 months, I found the second step toothbrush offered by this same company. It is very similar in design to this one, the only real difference being, no handles and the shape is designed in a way that allows for more real tooth-brushing.

Upon reading those reviews, it seems that some of the same problems were taking place with this one also, bristles coming off after children brushed several times with it or chewed on it a bit, as they will still do this at toddler age as well, especially while molars are breaking through.

A new review was posted and it seems that the company, upon reading and hearing of the issues and realizing so many parents were using this as a teether for extended periods, has redesigned both of these products and the new design includes reinforced bristles. They both have this new design, however this product has the strongest bristles as it is designed for children under 12 months and will probably be met with more chewing.

So it seems that all of your complaints were heard and anyone who orders this product now will receive the newer tougher design. Thanks for reading and I hope this helps!

2.0 out of 5 stars Super cute, but not for babies WITH teeth., October 4, 2011
I would recommend trying a different product instead. My 9-month-old daughter has 7 teeth and is a strong biter/chewer. We both thought this banana was the cutest toothbrush ever. We "brushed" with it for 2 days and I let her play with and chew it for a bit after each brush, supervised. On day 3 I washed the toothbrush and noticed that about 5 of the rubber bristles were partially or fully chewed off and missing. Sure enough, the bristles have since turned up in her diaper. Althought I considered sending the item back for refund, we will keep it for teeth brushing only. She is no longer allowed to use it as a teether, even with me watching since I didn't notice the bristles breaking off before. Please beware of this before deciding to purchase...I would not have bought it had I known.

2.0 out of 5 stars regular teether, November 2, 2010
It is silicone teether that is shaped as a toothbrush. My baby 1 year old and had it for few months. She is chewing on handles, toothbrush part and the other side. It is not her favorite teether, but she uses it occasionally. I gave it 3 stars because the product is misrepresented. It does not develop good hygiene, and it is not training toothbrush. Infants will not learn to manipulate it in their mouth, they will chew on it. Nor does it massage gums any better than anything else babies put in their mouth. It is regular teether, just overpriced. Whoever buys it still needs to wipe their baby teeth after meals and brush it before bedtime with finger toothbrush. The teether does nothing to clean baby teeth or to train the baby in tooth brushing.

Update: When baby began using teether heavily, she started biting off tether bristles one by one. After she bit off half of them, I cut the rest, and baby stopped using the teether shortly after that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby loves it!, April 22, 2011
Our 7 month old is teething and really digs the baby banana brush. It is pretty easy for him to hold and all of it's surfaces are good for chewing.
Good product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, April 9, 2012
David A. Sifre (Bronxville, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Our son is nearly 17 months old. He has a bunch of teeth, and he is not afraid to use them when we brush using the infant brush that sits on your finger. This has made brushing his teeth a rather challenging and painful event.

He spit out the pacifier within 8 weeks or so and never used a teether. In fact, he never really puts anything in his mouth (which while a blessing in some ways has created its own set of challenges with feeding).

I washed the banana toothbrush and put a tab of the infant "toothpaste" on it and put it in our son's mouth. He grabbed the banana out of my hand and started going to town on it. I could not get it away from him. And he actually looked like he was brushing his teeth. Jammed it in his mouth along the sides, rubbing it around his mouth. I don't think he's getting his upper teeth and I would rather he let us brush them for him, but all things being equal, I am glad that he loves the toothbrush and he is doing a better job than we've been doing since we've been reluctant to put our fingers in his mouth due to the great pleasure he gets from biting our fingers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and useful, July 9, 2010
We loved this teether for about three days, until we lost it. :( My son really enjoyed it, as he doesn't care for round-shaped teethers but prefers ones he can jam into his mouth. The brush seemed soothing on his little gums and the peel handles were easy for him to grasp. My only complaint is that like all silicone stuff, it picks up lint like mad, so you can't put it down, say, on the couch, but the bag it comes in is handy as a storage bag. We held onto it just long enough for his bottom teeth to pop through, then lost it in a restaurant. Boo hoo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Calm down, February 25, 2014
Many "parents" have been complaining that the bristles of this fantastic hygiene product are falling out. Obviously you never take the time to do important things like document your child's life! Before the Baby Banana Bendable Training Toothbrush (or the BBBTT for short) I was constrained to what the mainstream dental companies told me what a toothbrush should look like.

My baby has been apprehensive about brushing her teeth for some time now. Lucky, I stumbled across the answer to my many sleepless nights. You see, if there is one thing that a true parent would know, it is that babies love oblong fruit. Now that the BBBTT has come into our lives there is nothing that my baby loves more than brushing her teeth. Sure, all of the bristles have fallen out, and she is simply rubbing plastic across her gums, but when I take pictures or home video of us brushing our teeth, she just looks so darn cute.

However, BY FAR the best aspect about this product is the message that is sends to its users. You see, when you squint your eyes while looking straight at it, you can make out the outline of a heart. As we all know, brushing your teeth has never really been about hygiene but something entirely different: LOVE. The BBBTT allows my baby to analyze the underlying parallels of life's narrative. It is not that I want her to brush her teeth because I want her to be clean, it is because of love. A family who brushes teeth together, stays together.

As you can see I have deducted one star because seeing that this is only a "Training Toothbrush" I feel that a more advance model must be released soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby's Favorite Teether!, April 15, 2011
Liz Loma (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
I bought this teether (along with a couple of others) for our son when he was 4 months old and beginning to chew on EVERYTHING! He's 6 months old now and this is by far his favorite teether of the bunch! (He also has one that looks like keys that you can put in the fridge, but it's hard for him to manipulate and despite it's many textures and colors, he loses interest in it quickly.) The Baby Banana Toothbrush is soft, flexible and easy for him to hold and get to his mouth. He likes to chew on both ends and the handles. I use one of the BooginHead pacifier clips to attach it to him when I don't want him to drop it on the floor. It's only downside is that it IS a lint magnet! The silicone picks up hair and fuzz pretty easily, but nothing a quick rinse under warm water won't fix. I love that it's dishwasher safe, but I usually just hand wash it with a bit of mild dish soap.

As far as the oral hygiene part goes, I'm not sure that it would CLEAN a baby's teeth (my son doesn't have any teeth yet), but I don't really think that's the point. Besides, most baby teeth just need to be wiped clean, so it MIGHT work. I think the idea is more to get the baby used to a toothbrush and letting a parent brush the baby's teeth and gums. We do this with our son, saying, "Brush, brush, brush," while rubbing it over his gums and he thinks it's funny. We're getting him used to the idea that someday we'll be brushing his teeth with a real toothbrush. In that aspect, this is the perfect tool for beginning good oral hygiene with your baby!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for baby with lots of teeth, March 24, 2011
Bought this to my 10-month-old who had 8 teeth and 4 molars coming in. The brush is soft but the bristles are set pretty far apart from each other, not like adult toothbrush. The bristles are more like little massage bristles instead of for cleaning. Don't like it at all. It's for kids who don't have many (or any) teeth. If your baby has several teeth, go with something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for new teeth and sore gums, September 23, 2013
Not only does the silicone texture brush prepare baby for a life long habit of brushing teeth, but my teething son LOVES to chew this brush. His gums are terribly sore due to teething. He loves to chew on both the brush part, and the banana peel part. With this brush, he is able to reach different areas that bother him. This brush is nicer than a previous one he had that didn't have the "peeled" down loops. Not only does he chew on those parts at times, but it also allows me to attach a pacifier lanyard to clip to him to prevent it from falling on the floor. And, the peels work to prevent him from pushing it too far it in his mouth. Very happy with this. I purchased a second one to keep in his toy travel "bag-o-fun". It has soothed my cranky teething baby many times at home and on the go!

*UPDATE*
Please note that the manufacturer really doesn't intend this to be a teether, but a starter toothbrush. I read a few reviews where people had problems with some of the bristles being bitten off. Though not ideal, a bristle here or there is tiny and not a choking hazard. It's also made of medical grade silicone, so it should "pass" without issue. I have not experienced any parts breaking off and my son has been using this for many months. As stated above, I do allow him to use this independently as a teether, but he has never bitten off any bristles, he's not the kind of chewer to bite off pieces, AND I watch him closely while he uses it. Please use caution with any teether or toy for that matter, and always inspect prior to and during use. (Just my extra two cents as a mom looking out for all kiddos.) Cheers!

ARRAY(0xa5b710cc)