Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

Color: InfantChange

on January 28, 2010
I've been in the dental field for 12 years. And I have to say this is a great product and I try almost every toothbrush that comes out! I want to comment on a couple of the reviews. First of all I called the company and the bristles are re-inforced now and are a lot stronger. They've also created and improved upon the original design because so many parents were using it as a teether INSTEAD of a toothbrush. The 0-12 months has the thickest bristles because that's when the majority of teething takes place. So,use it longer if your child teeth come in latter than switch to the older training toothbrush. Remember, it's still a toothbrush NOT a teether!. I also found out that they've passed the strictest gov.t testing so if your cutie accidentally knaws one or two off it's OK because it isn't harmful in any way. Hope this helps!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2013
This item has caused somewhat of a debate between customers. It seems that many have used this as a teether and the bristles have come off causing negative reviews. These reviews have been met with some belligerence from parents who have purchased and had great experiences with this product and feel as though the problem is more in line with lack of parental guidance and understanding, rather then the product itself. Id like to add my 2 cents, as well as some new info.

First off, I have found that the defending parents are correct in their assessment that this product states nowhere in the description that this is a teether, perhaps parents are coming to the conclusion that this is a teether by the references the description makes to " soothing the gums"?

While I do agree that parental guidance is necessary with any product you give your child and do feel that this along with better understanding the design and use intended for products plays a large role in preventing injury and hazards in children. I also have to agree with the customers who feel that this product should have made with more durability, as should any product intended for babies/toddlers, as it will endure rough use.

Everyone here is missing the obvious, whether this product is advertised as a teether or toothbrush is irrelevant. Children in the age bracket this product targets do not posses the ability or understanding as of yet to brush their teethe. Any item placed in their mouth will be met with the instinct to chew and will become a teether at any rate.

This is advertised as a product that "encourages" oral hygiene and tooth-brushing skills and should have been designed and created with the durability to withstand the chewing that will inevitably take place, no matter in what fashion a parent allows their child to use it.

I have found some new info that may be of interest to anyone who is considering purchasing this item and may put any negativity or debate regarding this product to rest.

I happen to find this item and therefore all of the controversy surrounding its use while looking at it for almost 18 month old daughter. After coming to the conclusion that this product is not for us, as it is recommend until age 12 months, I found the second step toothbrush offered by this same company. It is very similar in design to this one, the only real difference being, no handles and the shape is designed in a way that allows for more real tooth-brushing.

Upon reading those reviews, it seems that some of the same problems were taking place with this one also, bristles coming off after children brushed several times with it or chewed on it a bit, as they will still do this at toddler age as well, especially while molars are breaking through.

A new review was posted and it seems that the company, upon reading and hearing of the issues and realizing so many parents were using this as a teether for extended periods, has redesigned both of these products and the new design includes reinforced bristles. They both have this new design, however this product has the strongest bristles as it is designed for children under 12 months and will probably be met with more chewing.

So it seems that all of your complaints were heard and anyone who orders this product now will receive the newer tougher design. Thanks for reading and I hope this helps!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2011
I would recommend trying a different product instead. My 9-month-old daughter has 7 teeth and is a strong biter/chewer. We both thought this banana was the cutest toothbrush ever. We "brushed" with it for 2 days and I let her play with and chew it for a bit after each brush, supervised. On day 3 I washed the toothbrush and noticed that about 5 of the rubber bristles were partially or fully chewed off and missing. Sure enough, the bristles have since turned up in her diaper. Althought I considered sending the item back for refund, we will keep it for teeth brushing only. She is no longer allowed to use it as a teether, even with me watching since I didn't notice the bristles breaking off before. Please beware of this before deciding to purchase...I would not have bought it had I known.
2929 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2015
I followed the warning of other reviewers and ordered the single (not 2-pack) to get a genuine made in USA item. It was great and my baby loves it! So much that I ordered a second. This time I got the low quality made in Taiwan version despite ordering a single item. The item appears opened and taped shut! That's unacceptable this is for an infants mouth. On top of that it seems cheaper, the volor is different, and the bristles are thinner. I can see how parents could be worried they would break off. I'm not sure if one is new and one is old, but the USA version has a patent number on it where the other says patent pending.

Amazon quickly replaced the item for me with the correct version. It still gets five stars because the genuine item is excellent and Amazon has great customer service. Photos included showing made in USA item on the right.
review image review image
on June 19, 2014
I finally caught on after I received my package today and then went back and re-read the rest of the reviews more carefully. The single packs apparently ship from the US in standard packaging as you see in the pictures. The 2-pack comes from Hong Kong, is solid yellow, does not have any brand information anywhere on the product or packaging. All that's on the packaging is a bunch of Chinese. Not cool, Amazon. I have no reason to trust what the heck material this product is made of and you want me to put them in my babies' mouths? Huh-uh. I am returning the 2 pack and buying two of the single packs (I have twins).
on May 18, 2015
I love this toothbrush so much so that I bought another one when my daughter lost her first at a restaurant. However, this past weekend my daughter (9 months) Was playing with it and I noticed her chewing something. Somehow she was able to bite off one of the bristles! Thankfully j got it out of her mouth and took the toy from her. On further inspection I noticed that at least 13 others were ripped at the bottom and close to coming off. I was horrified. For a toy that children are supposed to be able to chew on have that happen is unacceptable. I just purchased this new one in February and it is May! In the picture you can see where I pulled a few extra off. (It did not take much effort.)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2011
This is my son's favorite teether. When I got it I expected only the top to be squishy, but the entire thing is made of silicone so it is great for a baby to teethe on. Its easy for baby to hold and the peel handles keep baby from choking themselves with it. My son is 8 months old and has 7 teeth now and he hasn't chewed off any bristles or pieces and he adores this banana. He loves to use it on the back of his gums and has never been a fan of ring teethers. We do have pets and the silicone does attract hair/fur very easily, but we make sure to keep it clean and off the floor and a good teether does wonders for my child's mood so it is all too worth it. This is perfect and cute, thanks!

UPDATE: My son is now 11 months and has 9 teeth and even with all of its use he has not bitten anything off. Its a hit and we keep buying it for friends. With a little baby toothpaste on the end he will go to town with it. He even shows his teeth for me now if I try to brush them with it. I don't think I would recommend it as your primary toothbrush, but it does help baby to be comfortable with having their teeth brushed. I can brush my son's teeth with a soft bristle brush now with no problems because he has been used to me brushing his gums with the banana for so long.
on August 6, 2015
Despite the "made in the USA" branding all over it, this arrived straight from China when I ordered it. 1 star for dishonest advertising.
on January 28, 2010
I have this toothbrush and my son loves it but when I saw the review about bleeding I became concerned. So I asked my dental hygienist who told me that bleeding is a normal part of teething whether an infant is chewing on something hard (like a cheerio) or soft (like the banana brush). In fact it helps the teeth work through the gums faster and generally provides relief to the infant. I feel much better now and will continue to use this toothbrush.
on April 9, 2012
Our son is nearly 17 months old. He has a bunch of teeth, and he is not afraid to use them when we brush using the infant brush that sits on your finger. This has made brushing his teeth a rather challenging and painful event.

He spit out the pacifier within 8 weeks or so and never used a teether. In fact, he never really puts anything in his mouth (which while a blessing in some ways has created its own set of challenges with feeding).

I washed the banana toothbrush and put a tab of the infant "toothpaste" on it and put it in our son's mouth. He grabbed the banana out of my hand and started going to town on it. I could not get it away from him. And he actually looked like he was brushing his teeth. Jammed it in his mouth along the sides, rubbing it around his mouth. I don't think he's getting his upper teeth and I would rather he let us brush them for him, but all things being equal, I am glad that he loves the toothbrush and he is doing a better job than we've been doing since we've been reluctant to put our fingers in his mouth due to the great pleasure he gets from biting our fingers.