Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Baby Blues
Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

Baby Blues (Lars E. Jacobson and Amardeep Kaleka, 2008)

I've watched a lot of movies-- probably way too many-- over the past couple of weeks, from the sublime to the ridiculous, and all points in between. Baby Blues a little straight-to-video thriller that just recently hit the shelves, may be the best of them. This is the reason I watch so many awful horror films-- because every once in a while, I find a microbudget movie that impresses me more than almost anything I've seen from the major studios in the past five years. There was Shallow Ground. There was Deadbirds. Now there is Baby Blues.

Jimmy (The Bad News Bears remake's Ridge Canipe) is a rural fourteen-year-old with problems. He's not quite the town bully, but he's not a model kid, either. His dad (Anonymity's Joel Bryant) is a long-distance trucker who's around, it seems, just long enough to get his mom (I Know Who Killed Me's Colleen Porch) pregnant every once in a while; as we open, Jimmy is one of four kids, the youngest an infant, and mom is suffering some serious post-natal depression, which is augmented by a distressingly rapid slide into full-out madness. Dad has to make a run to Tallahassee, and not long after he gets out of sight, Mom snaps for good. This, as it turns out, is a very, very bad thing for her children. Jimmy finds himself in the uncomfortable position of having to protect his younger siblings from their mother's murderous wrath.

Make no mistake, this is an exceedingly dark movie, and one that will disturb and offend many viewers, but it gets its power by the fact that it's frighteningly well-acted and very well directed by first-timers Jacobson and Kaleka, who have obviously done their homework better than most of the first-time directors working within the system these days. This is just shy of being the perfect thriller; the opening scenes are a bit on the slow side, but once Jacobson and Kaleka (who also wrote the screenplay) crank up the tension, it never once lets go. The current theory that humorous interludes punctuating the horror is certainly workable in the right hands, but this is a movie that shows that unrelenting tension can work even better under the right circumstances. These are the right circumstances. Keeping in mind my warning above-- there are many who will find the basis of the story (which is, supposedly, based on a true incident) offensive to even think about, let alone see depicted on a screen-- I cannot recommend this movie highly enough. See this, and see it soon. **** ½
on August 9, 2008
This was an amazing movie about a woman who has a complete mental breakdown after giving birth to her fourth child. The actress did an exceptional job with her role. She was very convincing! I just want to warn any potential viewers who want to watch this film. It is quite disturbing and if you have a low tolerance level for violence against children then please avoid this movie. I normally cannot stomach it myself but I found that I just could not turn the movie off because I wanted to see the ending. Personally, I think that this movie was excellent. I am probably emotionally scarred for life but it was worth it.
BABY BLUES is a horror movie that is more frightening because the monster is all too real---post partum depression. As Andrea Yates and Susan Smith have painfully reminded us, this depression is devastating and can turn an ordinary woman into a heartless killing machine.
Colleen Porch is absolutely chilling as the young mother of four children whose truck driver husband wants to go for five, not cognizant of the fact his wife is crumbling before his eyes. What transpires in BABY BLUES is disturbing and hard to watch. Ridge Canipe is heartbreakingly stunning as Jimmy, the oldest son facing the woman who once was his mother.
BABY BLUES is a brave movie but the film loses focus of the real issue and devolves into a crazy mommy stalker movie with a really disappointing ending. However, one can't deny the visceral impact of BABY BLUES nor ignore the importance of recognizing PPD.
on June 7, 2008
I was lucky enough to attend a private screening of this film (and am wondering why it didn't make it to the big screen in wide release) and was thoroughly creeped out. As far as indie horror films go, this one has a lot going for it: better-than-average acting, production, direction, and plot. There were some truly suspenseful scenes and several unexpected twists (though I don't know that "twist" is the appropriate word here). This is the type of movie that SHOULD have been playing at Horrorfest. Check it out for yourself!
on December 2, 2014
Mom (Colleen Porch) has a touch of postpartum depression. With the suspect cheating dad (Joel Bryant) traveling on the road as a gear jammer, this does bode well for Jimmy (Ridge Canipe) and his siblings as mom reaches for the pitchfork.

Yup. Mom goes psycho all over her kids. That is pretty much it as it becomes of game of hide and seek to the death.

Didn't really grab me. Oh yea. Inspired by actual events.

Guide: No f-bombs, sex, or nudity.
on November 20, 2008
Stays with you long after viewing...Baby Blues is a remarkable microduget horror film that does not rely on over the top gore or supernatural events to drive it's message home. What makes this movie stand out is the overwhelmingly disturbing subject matter. The direction, acting and cinematography are top-notch and you get a genuine depiction of rural life turned upside down (and inside out). Not for everyone, but highly recommended if you are looking for a great horror flick that is outside of the norm.
on December 29, 2011
Tough one to find and it really is a shocking and interesting story. Watch this one with your friends and fam and watch them squirm...

Really tense and if you can just look past the slightly lower quality to the film it really is one to add to the collection. A little far fetched of course but still based on a very real issue...
on October 4, 2014
Jimmy(Ridge Canipe) is the eldest of his siblings, which consists of two more brothers and a sister. He comes from an average home on a secluded farm. His father(Joel Bryant) is a hard working man who's rarely home. His mother(Collen Porch) has recently given birth and she appears to suffer from some type of depression.

After her husband departs for work on another long shift; she appears to snap and the children begin to pay one at a time for her mental lapse. Jimmy must somehow protect his siblings and elude his mother's murderous rampage. Could her murderous rage be a result of postpartum depression? Or could it be the work of some type of sinister supernatural force? -summary

Directed by Lars Jacobson and Amardeep Kaleka and released in 2008. Baby Blues is a very disturbing film that covers one of the most horrible acts that can be committed by humans, filicide. The film is based on Andrea Bates; the woman who drowned her five children one at a time in Houston, Texas. The film follows the same premise, but it utilizes the slasher run and chase formula.

When coming into this film prepare yourself to be disturbed. Baby Blues attempts to cross the line and succeeds by having the murders take place with toddlers. The film works its horror edge to the fullest by utilizing its characters. The children and mother deliver some fine performances. I was actually able to feel the children's terror and the mothers insanity.

The film is low budget but it delivers where it counts. The gore isn't very graphic, and at least one child death scene is very brutal. The children are brutally killed. However, the murders are delivered off screen and the film accomplishes what it sets out for.

There's no CGI in the murders and one death takes place in the dark. I also enjoyed the set pieces which took place in high vegetation and within a barn. The set pieces delivered the right amount of lighting to display the sinister feel, which was caught by the blue moonlight. I won't say that the film was heavy on atmosphere, but the tension was higher than what it should have been. Mainly because the victims were children, and no one wants to see a child killed in any way. Had this exact same element taken place with booze drinking teens. It never would've had the same effect. Especially, during a time when the horror genre is so over-saturated with young adults being murdered, and trying to hide in the clumsiest of places.

The pacing of the film was excellent for quite some time, but this chase grew a bit too long and began to follow the typical slasher routine; such as a character whom was introduced and killed off just because. The plot really began to fall by the end and the ending itself just wasn't to my liking.

Baby Blues could have been a great character driven horror film, if only it went the route focusing on wicked human nature or mental illness. My biggest problem with the film was the writers trying to make it more than that, by presenting the possibility of a supernatural element which was delivered through visions and flashes. There are obvious references to the supernatural influence of scarecrows. I can probably explain on how Baby Blues was nothing more than 85 minutes of Jacobson and Kaleka completely missing the point, when concerning the mythology behind scarecrows. Instead, I'll avoid doing so as not to lower my rating, and completely ignore everything else the film did a great job on.

I believe the possibility of an evil outside force reduced the seriousness of the film as well. Baby Blues is a film that wants to be taken seriously. I mean after all it features children under 10 being killed. That's pretty serious if you ask me. Therefore, I feel the film would have worked out a lot better had the mothers rage been more natural instead of supernatural. This way the message to the film wouldn't be as distorted as I see it right now because let's face it, people who suffer from mental problems are among us and I seriously doubt that some demon from hell is the culprit.

Overall, I recommend Baby Blues only to real horror fans and when I say real horror fans; I'm talking about those who understand that most of the point to horror films is to be disturbed. Either through atmosphere or a majority of the time through people committing heinous acts such as murder.

I've seen this film blasted only because it's disturbing and has death in it. I could never drill this into my head. Why would an individual invest time and money into a horror film only to later complain that it's disturbing? It's mind boggling and I'll never understand it. Baby Blues is a disturbing film. If you know child murder is something you can never digest, then skip this film without hesitation.

Pros: Very disturbing, good setting, solid acting, good pacing

Cons: Unrealistic ending, loses a lot of steam towards the end, very questionable plot element
on September 7, 2011
THIS PRODUCT IS GREAT ITS SO AMAZING I REALLY LIKE THIS MOVIE IM VERY SATISFIED SURPRISED ME THIS MOVIE WAS VERY SAD... AND ENTERTAINING AT THE SAME TIME THIS LADY WAS CRAZY...SHE NEEDED SOME SERIOUS HELP BUT I ENJOY EVERY BIT OF IT!p
on September 5, 2008
Lars E. Jacobson wrote this movie and the box claims it is based on a true story. Which true story its based on or inspired by is not relevant. What is relevant is that Lars E. Jacobson understands what makes a movie horrifying. The plot to this movie is pretty straightforward. A woman, known only as Mom, convincingly portrayed by Colleen Porch, gives birth to her baby boy and begins a descent into madness and psychosis created by the all too common condition, post-partum depression. She begins to see things in drawings made by the children. She believes her husband, an over-the-road trucker who is gone frequently, is cheating on her. And of course, she begins to kill her children, one by one. Ok.. enough said about the plot because too much more would spoil this movie if you haven't seen it. And from what I can tell this film isn't trying to make any sort of social statement about post-partum depression. But, many of us know the story of Andrea Yates and mothers like her that simply snapped and killed all of their children in a post-partum depression induced psychosis. Thus this story is all too real and thus all too disturbing.

My wife and I cringed and turned out heads throughout this movie. But not because it is terribly gorey or bloody, we love gore and blood. We turned our heads, much as a young child covers his eyes when the monster comes up, to avoid the truly scary parts of this film -- the mother in her madness killing her children. My wife actually pulled our 3 year old son up on to her lap and held him as this woman brutally murdered these children. The film was simply brutal and horrifying. Rarely does a film kill young children, but this one does it, does it in a horrifying and realistic manner, and does it in front of other young children.

The boy who plays the 10 year old son, Jimmy, who does everything he can to protect his siblings from the mother's rage is the actor Ridge Canipe. He is phenomenal. I can't imagine this film won't have a lasting effect on his psyche. The Mom is so believably potrayed by Colleen Porch that I'm quite sure when I see her in other movies I'll immediately have flashbacks to the terror of this film. The cinematography is phenomenal. The directors (Lars Jacobson and Amadreep Kaleka) create many very scary scenes and shots throughout the film. For example, there is one scene where Jimmy is hiding in the chicken coop and his mother, on her knees, looks into the chicken coop through the small entrance used by the chickens, and the look on her face and its framing in the doorway was most reminiscent of the classic Jack shot from Kubrick's THE SHINING.

Although I strongly recommend everyone watch this movie, we will likely never watch this movie again. The movie was simply too psychologically disturbing for the loving parents of three children to endure once more. This horror is real. There is no slasher, there is no zombie, there is no vampire nor werewolf, that is as real as Mom is in BABY BLUES.

As I don't really have a regular rating system that I use to give a film 5 out of 5 stars or whatever, I'll just say whatever rating system you want to use I give it all of them .. 5/5 stars, 10/10 skulls, 5/5 Holy Craps, whatever the case may be. The movie has it all, a great story, great acting, great cinematography, a perfect balance of blood and gore in its kill scenes, and great directing.