Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

on September 25, 2011
First, let me say I was looking forward to start using the baby bullet for my daughter at about 4 months. I knew it was going to be a gimmick, but I figured it looked pretty convenient, and my 4 year old niece saw it and wanted us to get it so she could "help" with making the baby food. It truly is easy enough that a supervised four year old can put the short cup into the unit and turn it on and off.

What is included? (in my set anyway)

Six small containers with date dials and lids
A freezer tray/lid for six servings
A batch bowl for larger batches/blender lid
A short cup for smaller batches and use with the milling blade/storage lid
A milling blade for rice/grains/oatmeal
A regular blade for fruits/veggies/protein
A thin spatula
Power Base
Pocket Nutritionist

At first, using the short cup and regular blade, everything was great. The bullet is easy to use, offers helpful suggestions for different foods for each stage, and VERY easy to clean. The storage system is cute, and the dating on the little storage cups was handy when my daughter wasn't eating as much food each day as she is now. I had thought I had found the perfect baby shower gift for my friends and family from now on. Unfortunately, the bubble burst.

When I tried to use the milling blade, it was obvious pretty quickly that when it had been manufactured the plastic on the side of the blade casing had warped and cracked. This made the milling blade unusable, and tore up the sealing gasket when I did attempt to use it.

I contacted baby bullet for a replacement. They gave me a very difficult time about my proof of purchase, as it had been purchased online. Finally I got them to agree to send me a new milling blade (after receiving a lecture about the gasket causing all the problems... what?), and they insisted I pay $3.99 for shipping to replace the milling blade. Uh... no. We discussed the value of good customer service... and let's just say I didn't pay for shipping for the blade. I did receive it about a week after my last call to them.

Now, shame on me for this... but at the time that happened, I didn't check the rest of the pieces. I was annoyed enough at that point and the runaround I was getting, and it simply didn't occur to me.

My daughter is just shy of seven months, and is eating far more food at a sitting. This morning, I decided to try to use the batch bowl for the first time. As soon as I tried to put the lid on the top of the batch bowl, I knew there was a problem: It wouldn't seal. A quick look, and sure enough, both the lid and batch bowl were warped as the milling blade had been, so the lid cannot possibly connect securely to the bowl. This isn't just annoying - it's dangerous.

They'll be getting ANOTHER call from me tomorrow. If they replace the parts, I will admittedly keep using the bullet. It earned its two stars from being convenient and easy to use when the products are made properly.

Sorry Baby Bullet... but you need to work on quality assurance on the manufacturing lines. If your product arrived in a usable condition, you'd get a four or five star review from this first time mom. But having to fight with customer service to replace what you just didn't care to make correctly the first time? Yeah... I'll take my business elsewhere, and will be instructing my friends and family not to waste their money, no matter how cute and convenient this product may seem.

New Moms: GET A GOOD QUALITY FOOD PROCESSOR AND STORAGE CONTAINERS THAT WORK FOR YOU! Skip this product. There are enough alternatives out there that will meet and exceed your expectations, don't waste your money.

If you do purchase it, check everything immediately, and before you get rid of the box. Test it all out, and if you have a problem, return the whole thing.

***Update 13 October 2011***

The day after this review was posted, and prior to my calling their customer service, I received a call on my cell phone from Baby Bullet Customer Service. We discussed this issue, as well as another I had discovered -after- posting the review: I found that a couple of lids for the dial cups were beginning to show signs of breaking down, i.e. warping (common trend...) and chipping on the inside lip. The CS rep did say that there were some issues with people putting pieces in the dishwasher, and my set had stated it was dishwasher safe (since changed), that was probably the issue? ...all of the bullet pieces I have have been handwashed only, never in the dishwasher. The product I received is just... poor quality.

We also discussed the smell of the motor in the unit that others have mentioned in other reviews, but we agreed that I should wait to have that replaced, as the motorbase is still functioning well.

The woman who contacted me was very pleasant and helpful, and kept our conversation brief, which was appreciated, as I was at work. She stated that I should receive the items (batch bowl and lids) in the mail in 7-10 days. This was September 26th. Yesterday (2 1/2 weeks after I posted the review) I received the package. The batch bowl as promised, and... TWO dial CUPS. No dial cup LIDS. Sigh. Two of my lids have broken down thus far, it's only a matter of time before more do. I suppose I'll have to wait AGAIN for the two that they've decided I'm allotted this time around, and then as I notice the others break down, contact them and wait an additional two weeks per lid for the replacements?

I will say that it's very clear the quality of the product has improved significantly from my set to the new product; the plastic of the batch bowl is firmer, and is more clear; so some quality issues have been addressed between the production of my set and the production of the replacement parts that were sent. I'd really just like to be able to trust this product and have a set that is safe and... works?

I sent off an email a few minutes ago, and am hoping this is resolved quickly. By the time I have a fully functioning set, my daughter will have outgrown the product.

***Update 7 November 2011***

Emails with Baby Bullet resulted in my receiving four new lids, in two different shipments, a few days after the emails were sent. But, as predicted... my 8 month old daughter no longer wants anything to do with most pureed or blended food. AWESOME.

At least I have serving-size containers to store her chopped & cooked food?

I now have a pretty applesauce and sweet potato maker.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 24, 2011
I normally don't write reviews, but there weren't any for this product and being a first time mom myself, I want to make sure someone finds mine very imformative.
So far, I enjoy using my baby magic bullet. I was contemplating between this product and the Baby Baeba and I am so glad I saved the extra money! (I went to Buybuy Baby and used the 20% coupon so 20% off of $59.95 is such a deal!) Granted, the Baeba is also a steamer, but I can steam my own food...the extra step is not a big deal to me as it may be for others. Besides, it's not like you have to use a huge pot...just a medium saucepan is suffice for a whole batch. The only precautions are:
1. Make sure you screw on the base very tightly. I must have not, and the bottom leaked into the actually blender. I didn't wipe it up right away and it dried up in the push-down mechanism of the blender causing it to stick easily. There are 3 "push-down mechanisms" along the rim of the bullet and the problem with it sticking is that, obviously, when you want to stop blending and let go, it can still keep blending until the "push down mechanism" slowly rises up. I just had to clean it up by using a screwdriver to push it up and down until it was "sticky free" again and now it works like new again! (I made sure it was unplugged of course while cleaning).

2. Make sure you DO NOT fill past the max line. There is not a line drawn out, but I must have overfilled it past this imaginary line and when I started to blend with the lid on, it initially spewed out the spout and the sides. this can be bad if the food is still hot. Therefore, I just made sure to wait until the food was cooled down. OR, just make sure you cut the food into small pieces (1/2" x 1/2"). I think when I cut the sweet potato, I sliced them thin rather than cubing them and perhaps that made the blades easier to cut through and causing higher speeds? I'm not sure, but cubing them worked without having to wait for it to cool down. I had a dishcloth over the top too, in case it spewed out.

FYI, for all the 1 stage food babies, make sure you strain the puree before feeding your baby. My pediatrician recommended that to me and I'm glad she did. At first, I didn't think I needed to strain it because the puree looked so smooth and perfect, but low and behold, when I did, there were strings from the pear or parts of the apple core that I though I cut out were filtered out with the strainer. (I used a small metal strainer, the kind you use to sift flour).

One last thing, although it does say that it is TOP RACK dishwasher safe, I haven't tried cleaning these in the dishwasher yet because of fear that my dishwasher will leave soapy residue as it typically does with my tupperware. Perhaps the other reviewer that complained of the materials being cheap, put their components on the bottom rack and that's why it melted? I just pre-rinse them as I put them in the sink so it's not difficult to wash.

Overall, I love this thing and I have fun making my daughter's food. She's been eating solids since 4 months and she eats all of it! I'm going to see if they sell the rubber tray separately so I can freeze more at one time.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 30, 2013
My son was diagnosed with lead poisoning,and a risk assessor was unable to determine a source in our home. Our water was tested, and we determined that to be a primary source. We tested some products used by our son with a hardware store lead test kit.

The only items to test positive were the Baby Bullet and a lead fishing sinker, which we used as a control. From what I have read, home test kits may give false positives a majority of the time and just a few times may give false positives.

The parts that tested positive were the nuts on the bottom side of each blade component (the green units that insert into the power base) as well as a space between the blades and green plastic, which may come into contact with food.

I got my BB in December 2011. I wonder if it is possible this system could have helped elevate my son's blood lead level?

I called BB and asked how I could get an answer as to whether or not lead parts are used to manufacture the system. I was told to email customer service in order for my concern to be addressed by someone who would know more about the manufacturing process. Several days later, I have not receieved a response. I have been blocked from BB's Facebook page for asking the question: does your product contain lead components?

Several moms I know are very concerned. I'd like an answer. I don't know if all these units were made the same, but I never would have used it had I have known it was made with any lead components.
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 11, 2011
Update 2/12/2012 - Ok, so I thought this was awesome when I first started making baby food, it also made me feel awesome for making my own baby food hence the lengthy original review below. However, once my son moved onto textures the "pulse" technique sucked. Now that my son has moved onto finger foods at about 7 months this thing really has no purpose any more. I now wish I had a food processor that slices or grates foods so I can make a bunch of finger foods in advance & freeze. So it really only got used a hand full of times since I made large batches & froze. & even making large batches I also experienced most of what others complained of; food always getting stuck under the blade which resulted in a big ordeal of too much liquid & trying to mix it up to get the food unstuck, even the burning smell of the motor. I'd say if you have a blender or even better a food processor just use that don't waste your money just because it has the words "baby" on it.

Tip for new moms just starting out making baby food, if you want the containers & freezing tray you can purchase them separately from their website or find other brands most baby stores but I recommend even saving your money there too. You can use ice cube trays which equal 1oz of food each cube, freeze covered in plastic wrap, once frozen transfer to small ziploc bags. I labeled each bag with food & date made & then put all the small bags into 1 large freezer bag. Stays good in the freezer about 3 months.

******Original Review*****

I never in a million years thought I'd be making my own baby food, but I'm so glad I decided too! I would deff recommend it to anyone even if your not big on cooking! I'm so glad I received this as a gift!

It works great, super easy to use, so quick & not hard at all.. the only thing that is a little bit time consuming is peeling & steaming the certain fruits or veggies that need it, some like avacados & banana's just go rite in the blender & it's done! but it's SO worth it either way bc your making enough to freeze for like a month!! Then as baby gets a older & has tried everything, you can just put what you make for your dinner in there & it's ready to serve! Plus it makes me feel SO good to know I made his food & he's getting good nutrients...

*** The one & only thing I did not like was that the batch tray had a very strong plastic/factory type odor to it... I washed it a few times & let it soak in hot soapy water the smell was less potent but still there some what, I just hope it does not make the food smell that way. & since they don't really provide enough storage space if your making a months worth, I just used an ice cube tray & covered with plastic wrap that I will transfer into a ziplock bag.

My son is currently 4 months & 1 weeks old... I knew I wanted to start him early on solids so he would be a good eater. I tried giving him the cereal that you mix out of the box last week & he did NOT like it at all, & it made him constipated. Tonight we tried Avacado made in the Baby bullet for the first time, I mixed his formula in it so it was a soupy consistency, he LOVED it & actually ate it!! I never felt so proud to know I actually made him the food he was gobbling up & smiling about!
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 2, 2012
I've NEVER written a review on a product before. I just found out AFTER feeding my 7 mo old son 3 jars of food from the last batch I made that a piece of the plastic (silicone?) blade disconnected and got chopped up in the food! He's EATEN THIS. I noticed when I was feeding him tonight there was a piece of something hard in his food and I went to check the baby bullet and the ring that connects the base to the blade was all wrapped up around the blade and chopped up. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 6, 2012
Small parts of the O-ring from inside the bullet ended up in the food. It is a clear silicone like material ring used to maintain a seal... it broke off and was diced up by the baby bullet and we didn't realize it until our kid spit up small pieces of silicone rubber. We initially assumed he had found something on the ground and put it in his mouth, only to realize that it broke off the baby bullet blender. We can't account for all the pieces, and we're hoping he just swallowed smaller pieces and did not aspirate them. Straight to the garbage! I would run it over with my car if I could-- brutal design and very unsafe. Very concerned and disappointed!

See uploaded image.
review image
on July 17, 2011
My wife and I love the idea and the convenience of the Baby Bullet system; however, the plastic is of the cheapest quality possible and after 4 months of use, the base and covers have already warped. This product is not dish washer safe, even if it claims to be. The heat from our dishwasher warped several of the jars and now they cannot close properly. The $80 we paid for a motor and some cheap plastic jars seems like a total waste. Don't fall for the cute bullet jars like my wife did, the Baby Bullet system in general is utter garbage.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 26, 2014
We recently had twins and this time around, my wife wanted to make baby food. We got one of these blenders as a gift and initially it worked much like her Magic Bullet did.

At this point, the only nice thing about it are the dated cups.

The blender, after 6 months of use is clinically on life supports. It works, so long as you do not mind that it blends in mousepower now instead of horsepower. That isn't so bad. What is bad is that it leaks oil every time it blends. I have been fearing a visit from the EPA now for the last week!

Ok, so some units are defective. We will just call the company.

"You need a receipt or proof of purchase"
"It was a gift"
"Don't matter."

[After jumping through hoops to get that]

"You are out of warranty"
"We've only had it for 8 months and only used the last 2"
"Well, for the cost of $3.99 plus shipping and handling, we can send you a new blade..."

WTH?! The blade is fine unless the new blade is magical and can stop it from leaking oil, no thanks.

Making home-made baby food has saved us a lot of money. But we will never own any type of bullet-brand blender again! If you are just starting to have kids, just do yourself a favor and get a quality blender by a company that will back there product.

BTW, I am suspecting that the Baby Bullet passed the Magic Bullet whatever disease it had because that is now dying a slow, painful death as well.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 24, 2011
I really liked the thought of this product, but once I got it and used it. I am not impressed. The freezer containers are junk and broke the very first use. The motor in the base part leaks oil or something. The base smokes. This is total junk. No one cares when you call. Don't waste your money on this garbage. Save your money and buy containers and a blender or food processor.
on March 26, 2012
After using this for 3 months, we noticed that the plastic around the blade is shredding into pieces. This is beyond disappointing-- here we were, thinking we were doing the best for our baby, making our own food, and we were feeding her plastic all the time.

We always cool down the veggies/fruits before using the machine. We use steamed, mushy vegetables, so nothing difficult to blend, that would cause the blade to overheat.

Other than feeding your baby plastic, there are other disappointing aspects:
- The 2 oz containers last 2-3 months. Your baby will soon begin to eat much more than that, so the longevity of these tiny
jars is very limited.

- The blending container is too small. To fill the (6) 2 oz jars, we need to make 3 batches in the blender.

- The ice cube tray- the cubes don't fit into the jars! Why not make 2 oz cubes? Instead, it takes ~1.25 cubes to fill a jar.

Don't bother buying this. Its very clever and manipulative marketing directed at parents who would do anything for their child.