Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 5, 2005
First of all, let's clear up one misconception that some other reviewers seem to have -- Just as the Baby Einstein videos are not designed to replicate the directing genius of such Hollywood masterminds as Scorsese or Coppola, the Baby Einstein CDs are not designed to replicate the great symphonies and orchestras of the world! The CDs do indeed utilize great pieces of classical music as their base, but they are not meant to sound as if they are performed by a 120-piece orchestra.

In point of fact, the CDs are meant to work in conjunction with the Baby Einstein video series' various imageries and sounds, meaning they are designed to appeal in simplistic ways to the senses and interests of developing children. They take classical music (which is complex in nature) and replicate it in much simpler ways (via synthesized methods). This allows young developing ears to "tune in" to the various individual sounds and to identify simplistically with the overall melody. And isn't a toddler who wants to hear repeats of Pachebel's Canon or Vivaldi's Four Seasons a far cry more tolerable to Mom and Dad than one who wants to hear constant repeats of some big silly purple dinosaur singing?!?

My husband and I love classical music and have many of the great classical works performed by the world's best symphonies and orchestras. However, attempting to draw side-by-side comparisons between Baby Einstein CDs and the great orchestras of the world is like attemtping to compare apples and oranges!

The Baby Einstein CDs are a wonderful medium with which to introduce your child to classical music.

After literally SUFFERING through several other "classic lullaby" CDs that were given to us as gifts and being very disappointed, my husband and I were thrilled with the musical content and performance quality of the Baby Einstein CDs. We have most of them now and have found them all to be of superior quality.

As soothing baby lullabies and infant/toddler audio stimulations go, Baby Einstein CDs are positively enchanting! My husband and I have drifted off many times ourselves to the BE Lullaby Classics CD. We enjoy and appreciate the classical music experiences Baby Einstein provides for our child!
11 comment| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2006
My 8-month-old son and I listen to this CD every night, and by the Pachelbel Canon (track 7) he's usually sound asleep. It is NOT ALL SYNTHESIZER. The jacket clearly states that the "Music Box Orchestra" includes flute, piano, cello, percussion, english horn, and oboe. As a musician, I am not offended by the "easy-listening" versions of these classics. In fact, I enjoy them. They introduce my son to the timeless melodies WITHOUT OVERSTIMULATING HIM at bedtime. I find them relaxing too.
on February 16, 2005
I was really disappointed to discover that every track on this CD is played on a synthesizer and not by the authentic orchestral instruments for which it was written. Mozart's Minuet in G sounds like it's being played on a (faux) marimba. A recording of actual instruments would be much more beautiful and better for a baby's developing ears.
22 comments| 187 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2006
I played this vd for my daughter when she was still in-utero, and she would always move to it. Now, at 8 months old, we still use it to put her to sleep every night. She just loves it. And, so do we!!!
on January 21, 2006
My son absolutely loves this CD. We have a CD player in his room and when he is acting tired or fussy we lay him in his crib and turn this CD on. The music helps him relax and before you know it...usually 3 songs into it...he is sleeping "like a baby!" We love, love, love this CD. We find ourselves humming classical music throughout the day...catchy tunes!!
on September 5, 2005
This CD is not "sleepy" slow lulliby music.
It kept my 6 mo old awake instead of putting her to sleep.
Also very dissapointing was the "elevator music quality".
If it was possible to rate this a zero, I would.

I was very dissapointed in baby einstein for calling this a lullaby album. This synthisized music was anything but lulling to my baby - some of it was too upbeat. This is not an album to sleep to, not relaxing at all. Okay for play time, if you don't mind that there aren't "real instruments" playing. For better songs for baby to sleep to look for "disney baby lullaby" and "on a starry night" albums.
on December 27, 2005
We've had this CD since our son was a baby, and now at almost 3, he still loves it. All of the songs are soft and relaxing, so it's the perfect CD for naptime and bedtime. We still play it almost every night when he goes to bed. Of all his many classical CD's, this one is by far his favorite. We all love it so much I'm ordering another one for our next baby.
on January 31, 2006
My baby girl got this CD for Christmas and it's such a pleasure to listen to! I wish I had it when she was born! You'll recognize the classical pieces but they're played with the gentleness, for lack of a better word, that your little one will be sure to enjoy it. :)
on December 15, 2011
If you want your child to grow up thinking that classical music, or any music, is made by perfectly symmetrical beats with almost no change in volume or human expression, then this CD is for you.

If you want your child to think that musical instruments sound like your PC starting up, then this CD is for you.

Lazy music made in a studio. Apparently there's a flute, piano, cello, horn, and oboe in there somewhere but all I hear is cheap midi noises.

If my children can sleep to the sound of their Dad's grinding teeth then this CD might work.

Save your money and stick on classical radio or simple real music like piano sonatas, string quartets etc... !
on November 19, 2006
My son LOVES the Baby Einstein Videos. We bought a couple of CD's for him to listen to when he goes to sleep. This CD is by far the one that puts him down. We joke that it is the soundtrack to our life right now!

True all the music is played in a more musicbox style, but I think it is more pleasing to a baby's ears. I'm a piano teacher and my son really did not like to hear the piano when he was younger. He's now 13 months and he does like it, but it did not start that way.

I also like the arrangements. They feature the main theme of the piece and then move on to a new song. Just right for a little one's attention span (at least my litle one's attention span).

This is in no way "serious" classical music, and if that is what you want for your child, don't buy it, you will be disappointed. It is, however, very musical, and interesting. For someone who is looking for pretty music that is calming and soothing, this is great!