Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Ed Sheeran egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

on April 17, 2008
My baby was initially attracted to the bright yellow fish and the music box. After 3 months, she started liking the octopus and all the different teethers and rattles on it. This activity mat entertains her. However, there are some quality and design issues - the collar on the octopus has threads coming off. One of the rings with beads also has open screws that rusted after washing the bead ring (washing is essential for the teething baby who tosses her toy everywhere). The rattle on the octopus is a bit cloudy. The mirror on the mat is not great quality. We have the Tiny Love activity mat as well, which is a better quality product. Both these mats entertained our baby from 2 months up.
UPDATE: The good news is that after contacting Kids II, which makes this mat, I was informed the toys do not contain BPA.
on February 17, 2009
I was very disappointed with this product compared to the Tiny Love gym. The fabric is cheap, the music is a dumbed-down version of the classics, and the whale pillow slides out from under the baby. The accessories on the gym leave much to be desired. Do your self a favor, don't get sucked in by the marketing gorilla that is Baby Einstein. It's just mass-produced, on-the-cheap, make a profit on new parents, mediocre merchandise.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2013
We own three of these types of mats, listed here in order from my favorite to least favorite. Tiny Love Gymini Move & Play, Baby Einstein Baby Neptune Ocean Adventure Gym, and Fisher-Price Rainforest 1-2-3 Musical Gym.

Here's my comparison: The first two, made by Tiny Love and Baby Einstein are very similar. They both come with lots of toys to dangle, and you can also add your own. They have lights and music which my son LOVES, and there is space to place other toys around my son for him to grab. Both can fold flat in half easily without taking them apart and can store in between my couch and coffee table, so they are easily and quickly put away and taken out when needed. Both are easy to wash, I just take off the arches and wash the mat part. This is important if your baby spits up a lot like mine :) I do not put them in the drier. Here are the differences: I like the Tiny Love mat better because it is much larger, so when my little guy starts to squirm around more, he will have more space to play. Also when I lay next to him and talk to him, he can see me better with the Tiny Love mat (on the baby einstein mat, the toys are lower and closer together so they are always blocking him from seeing me). Also, the Tiny Love mat is adjustable so that you can move the intersection of the two arches down so that your baby can look at the lights and music even during tummy time. Since my son is not particularly fond of tummy time, this helps a lot. The Tiny Love mat also has sides that fold up, which I haven't used yet but I'm thinking these might be useful when he starts playing with toys that can roll away but before he starts crawling. The Baby Einstein mat comes with a little whale that you can prop baby up with for tummy time. This doesn't work well for us because is is asymmetrical and he always ends of sliding to one side and becomes uncomfortable, so we don't use the whale.

The third mat, made by Fisher Price, I really do not care for at all. Is it so small that there is no space for me to place any toys around my son, nor can he move more that a few inches without being at the edge of the mat. The arch dangles too low so toys suspended from it are nearly touching is face, although the arch is not directly over his face anyways so he doesn't even really care about those toys. Although it's small, I would have to disassemble it in order to make it flat, which is not difficult but with a baby, I have better things to do, so it actually takes up more space to store than the other two I reviewed. There are no lights and minimal music. Disassembly to wash it is difficult since I have to take off the plastic sides. The only thing my son likes about this mat is the mirror, which he looks at during tummy time. (both other mats also have mirrors though) Pretty much, by son is better off just laying on a blanket.
on February 16, 2012
We recently had our 3rd child and after using the same playmat (a Tiny Love one) we decided to purchase a new one. We chose the Baby Einstein Neptune Ocean Adventure Gym because it had nice colors and looked stimulating.
The colors are a the only thing we liked about this gym once we got it set up.

The things we disliked were:
The toys are connected by tiny ribbons, making it difficult to move toys around.
The bars that hold the toys are placed so close together that there are very few places baby can lay and see the toys.
The mat has 2 plastic beams running through the bottom, which limits even further where baby cab lay.
The mirror is impossible to attach in a way that baby can see him/herself while practicing tummy time.

All in all this was a terrible disappointment and we got out our old Tiny Love mat.
on October 14, 2009
I chose this playmat because of the positive reviews. I was disappointed. I received a Tiny Love playmat as a gift, and I highly recommend it over this one. My biggest issue is the cheapness of the material--both the feel and the images. There's little threads hanging out all over it. It's also more complicated to put together compared to Tiny Love. The hanging toys are mediocre at best. There's one rattle my twins really enjoy so I actually tranferred it to the other playmat.
on March 9, 2009
My son adores this baby gym so much that he can go in and play excitedly for over an hour every day. It's wonderful! Lots of toys for him to reach for and grab at, and he is completely spellbound by the octopus. It's a delightful thing to have for the baby. As a comparison, I also purchased the gymini by Tiny Love, and he likes it, but does not love it like he LOVES the Baby Neptune.
on February 6, 2014
This play mat is okay,

1. Love all the different colors
2. The different toys that came with it were fun to play with.
3. Great for tummy time
4. Folds up easily if you don't have the music box on it, and you can put it away in seconds.

1. The bars sit a little low, if you have the octopus hanging it would always dangle in my little ones face and that was something she didn't like. I would have liked if the bars were a little higher.
2. The box that played music was a little heavy and didn't sit on the bars as well as I thought that it would.
3. Not the biggest play mat, it would have been nice if it was a little larger.

It wasn't that I didn't like it, but it was just merely okay. There were other mats that I thought were better quality, and had more variety than this one. If I were to do it again, I wouldn't buy this mat. It did the job, but wasn't something that I absolutely loved.
on May 10, 2012
I registered for this play mat for my shower hoping to get it, and not need to buy a cheaper one. I probably would have bought it even if I hadn't received it. This mat has been probably been one of the best things we had for my baby. Right from birth he loved to look up at the octopus and bat at it.
The development I watched my son go through with this toy was amazing. From eying up each toy to batting it. He watched the turtle forever and was so delighted when he finally hit it he screamed with delight. From watching, to batting, to grabbing and pulling this toy was so sturdy it stood up to amazing potential damage without a mark on it.
The music was fantastic too. The second I put my son on it he would immediately start "dancing" right from a few weeks old. The mat was also great for tummy time, he loved to look at all the bright colours, and flaps and coins. I watched my son learn to grab, swat, shake, pull, roll over, sit and just about everything on this play mat. Best of all, we were able to move toys around on it, and change them up with other ones at home. There are a ton of places to attach other toys. At 9 months, my son still loves his Octopus and Turtle which we have kept out for him to continue to play with.

When my son was on other play mats that friends or family owned he wouldn't even play with them, you could see him thinking how lame they were in comparison. This play mat has so much more to offer than any other play mat on the market. It has been one of my husbands and my three necessary items we tell people that we couldn't have lived without with our son. The delight and development of our son said it all!
on January 11, 2010
Wow - when we registered for this item, I never imagined my son would enjoy it so much! As a premie, it took him until he was about 2 months old to really enjoy this. Before that, he was a little overwhelmed. We did not turn on the musical sea attachment at first because we were a little worried about overstimulation. After a few enjoyable "sessions" (about 5-10 minutes at a time), we attached the musical sea attachment and placed it on the "movement" setting. Our son has to activate the music by grabbing and pulling on one of the hanging toys or kick the sea attachment directly. He LOVED it and it really helps with cause and effect. Now, at 5 months old, he still really enjoys his limited "alone time" playing with this playmat. We have slowly introduced different ones of the hanging toys and it's nice because the Einstein holders will accomodate other toys hanging from the playmat as well. This has become of the most used items we have in the house! Nice job Baby Einstein!
review image review image review image
on November 20, 2009
My son loves this gym. He squeals and chatters away while playing on it. It has been a lifesaver for me due to Jack being such a high need baby (Needs to be held most of the time, and more fussy than not). He has spent over 45 minutes playing on this mat!!! The music is really fun, and the lights are a nice touch. Jack has been using this from about 2 months of age on, and loves to grab and shake the rattle (which is not cloudy on my mat) and will grab and shake the other toys at the same time. It is so much fun to hear him having such a good time : )