5.0 out of 5 stars A nice compromise
I spent way too much time doing research on double strollers, and decided on the City Select. In return for the thoughtful reviews I depended on, I decided to post my own review that addressed some of the criticisms I had read, as well as add a few ideas of my own.

Published on November 8, 2010 by Bonnie J. Becker

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very city friendly - needs tweaking
Published on April 5, 2010 by Jill D

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice compromise, November 8, 2010

For context, I have a newborn and a 27 month old. I was looking for a double that could also be used as a single (so no side-by-sides, like BOB Duallie or City Mini Double, which both looked great), since in a couple of years the older one will have outgrown the stroller. Our old stroller was given to us and we HATED it (too heavy, poor steering, blocked basket), so I decided that it was crucial to get a good stroller that would last us a while. We weren't ready for a sit n' stand (would have gotten the Joovy Caboose Ultralight) since my son is too young and needs a proper seat. We didn't want a second seat that hung below the main seat, since I didn't think my toddler would tolerate it and with a bad back I couldn't get a kid in and out of it (would have gone with Phil and Ted's or Britax B-Ready)--although I should note that all of my friends who have this kind of stroller insist that it works great. We ultimately got the BJCS for the flexibility of design and the stadium-style seating.

We've had it for a month now and are happy with our choice. Here's my take on some of the main critiques of the stroller.

Chicco Keyfit 30: I was very worried that the carseat sits on the adapter and doesn't "snap" in. Turns out, if you look at your carseat, there aren't really any places for this particular carseat to snap! So any stroller that is not a Chicco will have this issue. I was surprised that the one little snap in the back DOES actually click in, and with the strap, the carseat is pretty snug. It's as good as it can be with this model of carseat and I feel comfortable that it is safe. My one complaint is that the carseat is tilted a bit forward. Not a dealbreaker, but something they could fix on the next model.

Too heavy: I was also worried about the weight of the stroller and how it would handle hills and curbs. I am not very strong and am home alone recovering from birth (as you all are too). With both the carseat and the extra seat in and full, it still handles really well. Steep hills take some oomph, but that's physics--to get weight up a hill takes some energy. But I can totally do it by myself with no problem. Curbs aren't a big deal at all, just a foot on the bar and pop! Maybe when my kids get bigger I will have an issue with this, but I really don't find I have the problems that others have described. It steers great as well. With both kids in, one-handed steering is tiring after a while, but is still doable. And usually I need to steer one handed because I'm holding a kid, which means that the stroller won't be totally loaded when I need to do it! (Note that I am configuring it the "wrong" way with the big kid in front and the carseat by me--and it still works fine for me). And keep in mind that's in a totally different category from the big Graco, which is a tank in comparison.

Too big: We have a Honda Civic, which limited ou choices a lot. We usually fold it up with the carseat adapter on but the second seat off and it is really compact. You can actually fold it with the seat on, but it isn't as compact. It's so easy to pop off the seat and throw it in the car. I love that you can easily take everything off of the frame to fold it completely down. When we go on a roadtrip, we can really break it down to pack it up.

Seats too small: My son is pretty tall and lanky, and he fits in the seat fine. The canopy at the upper setting has lots of room. The footrest is definitely too short, and he has to bend his knees to fit. He hasn't complained, but this could be improved in future models.

Additional Pros:
-The basket is HUGE and accessible from every direction. LOVE it!
-It's really sturdy.
-The break is easy and convenient.
-The handle is nice and tall.
-When in the top spot, the carseat is right in front of me. Easy to adjust baby's hat!

Cons:
-So spendy! Luckily we had help from our family to cover it.
-The shocks. I haven't seen much discussion of this, but the bumps are sort of rough. Not a dealbreaker for us.
-With my son in the front, his feet can touch the ground. Not an issue normally since he puts his feet in the footrest. But when throwing a tantrum, he stiffened up and was able to drag his feet! Could solve this in the future by putting him in the top spot, but not until my daughter is old enough to be in a seat (I'm not comfortable putting her below yet).
-Straps are hard to adjust. I love the clips that allow you to move the straps up and down But to shorten them is a big pain.

Hope this helps. Depending on your needs and budget, this might be perfect for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars This stroller is a HOME RUN!, January 29, 2010
Wendy (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baby Jogger 2010 City Select Single Stroller, Ruby (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Baby Product)
My husband and I had been researching strollers for months, and all of the strollers that we found had something that was missing and that we would have to compromise on. And for the price of some of these strollers, there was just no way I was willing to compromise. Most importantly, we wanted a stroller that we could use as a single now, but that would convert into a double once we have our second baby. And not just any double...it would need to hold a toddler (comfortably) AND an infant carseat. The only one we could find that wasn't bulky, was the Uppa Baby Vista, but that second add on seat didn't look so comfortable. So when I heard about this stroller coming out I was PSYCHED!! I had read about it and watched a video online. This stroller seemed too good to be true! It had everything I needed, wanted and more. So as soon as it became available I ordered it. Needless to say, I had very high expectations of this stroller. And I was not disappointed. This stroller moves like a dream. It looks fantastic. It's incredibly easy to maneuver and re-configure. It has a super convenient hand-brake. And it has 16 different configuration options! I am beyond impressed. One of the things I love is that it LOOKS like a single stroller! I can use it like this for as long as I need, and then just add on another seat instead of having to buy a whole new double stroller. I would ABSOLUTELY recommend this stroller to any mom who has two children, or has one now and is looking to grow their family. It's the best investment you will make. Oh, and if you like the Diamond color - don't be intimidated by the fear of getting it dirty! I bought that color and it's actually more like a light gray. Plus, it cleans super easily.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very city friendly - needs tweaking, April 5, 2010
With an 18 month old and a 2 month old, we reluctantly retired our Bugaboo and began the search for a double stroller. After much research we, like so many others, eagerly anticipated the release of the Baby Jogger City Select. We bought it 3 weeks ago and have since sold it as it just didn't fit our needs. The stroller is so superior on so many levels that I tried to overlook the flaws as much as I could, but to no avail.

Living in Manhattan, the two deal breakers for me were:
1) as others have mentioned, the stroller is very heavy, esp with 2 kids loaded on. This made for difficult maneuvering. To be specific, if I was pushing it on a nearly perfect flat surface, it worked like a dream. However, anything with even the slightest angle to it caused the stroller to veer sharply to one side which made my arm/wrist very tired trying to keep it straight. And with most city sidewalks being anything but flat, it was very hard to overlook as I was constantly trying to correct it. I don't feel like I am a physically weak person, so I was very surprised when neither me nor my husband could easily control the stroller.

2) Again, due to the weight, or maybe the weight distribution, the stroller is heavy. So, it was very hard, if not impossible to lift it up over a curb. Needless to say, going up a couple of steps here and there was a challenge I wasn't able to take on, and thus became very limited to where I could go, what stores I would enter, etc. I had my husband also try this maneuver as well, and he had great difficutly too. He had to stand on the lower bar under the seat to lift it off the ground and it was still very hard. To elaborate, I had my 18 month old in the front seat, and my 2 month old in his car seat closer to me, so I didn't have it set up as the recommended weight distribution, but to be honest, that shouldn't matter. The company boasts of its 16 configurations, so I believe for the money I paid, that I should be able to actually use all 16 configurations with ease; there shouldn't be an asterisk. That it can serve as a double as well as accept a car seat was the appeal for us. But, if doing that costs me the ability to walk around my neighborhood comfortably even if it was $1 it wouldn't be worth it.

3) A few other less important complaints we had were that the seat height was rather short for my son who is only 18 months. We did move the canopy up to its highest setting and moved the footrest down to its lowest, but it still wasn't enough. The footrest is actually more annoying than helpful because it is so short that my son had to bend his knees to set them in there. I can't imagine this working once he is 2 or 3 years old. It does fold up well, however as another reader commented, it can't stand on its own so that made the fold rather pointless. In an NYC apartment, space is everything.

Anyway, I am sorely disappointed as we had high hopes for this stroller. I can definitely see the draw and while some may be able to overlook its flaws, I was not. If they fix these things in v.2.0, then I very well may just entertain purchasing this stroller again. But, until then, we will use our new Phil and Ted's Dash stroller, which pushes like a dream.

5.0 out of 5 stars a STELLAR SINGLE and/or DOUBLE STROLLER for city or suburb, July 26, 2010
DESIREE POWELL (Santa Monica, CA) - See all my reviews
Like many other reviewers, I searched, researched, test drove, read countless reviews and agonized for months over which double stroller to buy. I went to buy a Valco Tri Mode Twin Stroller, but it didn't fit in the trunk of our Jetta. Then I went to see a Tike Trek but that too was too big. Then I went to Baby Ant in Tarzana to check out their very large selection of strollers. I was about to go for the City Mini when the City Select caught my husband's eye. For once I'm glad he questioned my judgement! The City Select is a STELLAR STROLLER.

What I LOVE:

* I'm 5'8", my husband 6'1", and the adjustable handlebar is fantastic
* The foot rest is adjustable
* The seat itself is adjustable (4 ways)
* With the MAXI COSI MICO the car seat adaptor is super easy to use, it's just two brackets and that's it (this is the car seat that Baby Jogger recommended to use and it's also the one that they show in the advertisements)
* The Sun Shade is fantastic
* It fits through the checkout aisle at the grocery store, something a side-by-side stroller couldn't do
* It fits easily in the trunk of our Jetta
* The storage space is ridiculously plentiful...I went to the grocery store today with my 4 month old and almost 4 year old. I don't use bags because I put everything in the storage space. Here's what I put in there today:

white grape juice
dish soap
taco season mix
six bagel thins
2 boxes of penne pasta
can of tomato sauce (32 oz)
bottle of mayo (16 oz)
2 boxes of cheez it's (9 oz)
box of tissue
ovaltine (48 oz)
strawberry jam
1 liter of Ginger Ale
my Petunia Pickle Bottom Clutch/Diaper Bag
my Bebe-au-Lait "hooter hider"
a change of clothes for the baby & my 4 y.o.
1 small bottle of water

* ALL of the above fit in the storage compartment, and i didn't even have to expand it w/the zippers for that purpose

* I absolutely LOVE that there is the option of a Glider/Stand On/Hitchhiker option for our 4 y.o. for when he wants to "steer"
* Our 4 y.o. CAN steer this stroller easily
* I love that there are belly bar attachments (invididualized) as well as the snack tray/cup holder attachment and parent console.
* the front wheels can be locked into a fixed position
* and lastly, I love that this can be a single stroller whenever I want it to.

What I don't love

* I wish that the storage compartment had a zipper to "enclose" or keep everything in there in there when I go to fold the stroller to place it in my trunk. If I had an SUV I'm sure I'd just have the stroller frame "standing" but I have to lay it flat in order to get it in the trunk, so sometimes, things fall out of the storage compartment, but really, this is not a big deal!

* sometimes when we're walking on the sidewalk and get to a driveway, the stroller wants to veer down towards the street and I have to reel it in, so to speak, to prevent it from going towards the street; however, i know this is because i have my 4 y.o. facing the front/outward and our 4 month old facing me, so it's kind of bottom heavy...

Clearly there are more pros than cons, and the cons aren't even that big of a deal.

I am SO happy with this stroller.

Baby Jogger has thought of just about everything with the City Select.

If you have one child and think you may have another some day, get this stroller.

If you have one child and one on the way, get this stroller.

If you have twins, get this stroller.

If you have one child and you have his/her friend over for a playdate, get this stroller.

If you have one child that is too old to sit in the stroller, get this stroller. With the glider attachment, the older child can "steer" and the younger one/infant can go for a ride as well.

Seriously.

GET THIS STROLLER!!!!!

YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the mom with 2 children, July 18, 2010
Pro's:
Versatile in so many positions.
If 1 child feels like walking or being toted in a baby carrier, you can just convert this into a single stroller and not have to push around a double stroller.
It is not obnoxiously big like other double strollers.
The snap ins are very easy compared to other strollers.
Sturdy frame
Folds compactly and seats are collapsable so they end up flat (I can fit everything into my Honda Civic with room to spare!)
Very sturdy fabric
Roomy enough seats for all ages (my 5 year old could still fit in it yet it is not super wide like the BOB where they float around)
Amazingly huge purse holder (Shop away girlfriend!)
1 hand adjustable seat recliner.
I lightly jog with the stroller on jogging paths just fine.

Con's:
Not a lot of fun fabric choices.
Stroller does not stand up. I just keep it in my trunk though-for the house, it might be annoying.
Side brake can be hard to stop going down steep hills. If you do a lot of walking, I recommend getting a strap for when you go down big hills.
It does not come with a child tray or parent cup holder (additional add on's...YIKES!)
I put my 5 year old in the front seat and I could not push it up a curb without putting my whole weight on the footrest. The smaller child needs to go in the furthest seat. The larger one goes in the one closest to you. It will be hard for curbs.

Bottom Line: I would not recommend this for twins. I would go for a true double stroller. I think this is perfect for the mom who has children 1-2 years apart that way they can convert it according to their needs without buying tons of other strollers. My husband and I love this stroller. Heck my 5 year old can push the stroller just fine!

5.0 out of 5 stars not perfect, but awfully close, May 13, 2011
I am writing this review for use of the stroller as both single and double, since we use it both ways. So far I have had this stroller for over 2 months and it has been to the park, on walks, to the mall, and through the airport (in a stroller bag). I feel like I can now give a full report of this stroller.
I did some serious stroller research and read hundreds of reviews. After several months I decided on the Phil and Teds. I went to a little shop where one was on display, brought my kids (ages 4 and 2), so I could try it out. There was also this stroller, as well as the Britax b-ready, as far as doubles are concerned. So I decided to try them all out.
Here's what I was looking for in a stroller: Needed to fold small, needed to turn very easily, and needed to be able to hold up to my kids getting in and out of it by themselves.
In the end, after much pondering over a few days, I decided on this stroller. And I'm so glad I did. It has been the best stroller. With the Phil and Teds and the Britax I felt like my 4 y.o. was too squished in the back seat. She is slightly less than average in weight and height. And with her in the back seat, there wasn't room for much in the basket on both strollers. With this stroller, no feet are in the basket, and the basket is huge. Spacious. Plus you can access it from either side as well as from the back.
With some other dinky double strollers I've had in the past, none of them maneuvered even half as well in the mall, with the slick floors. This is such a dream to push and turn. I can easily, with one hand, turn this stroller with my 4 y.o. in the front and 2 y.o. in the back. And since it's tandem-style, it's so much easier to go through narrow doors and aisles.
I also love how many configurations you can make with the seats.
Since size was a deciding factor for me, I couldn't get a Bob double, since they're so big and bulky (but still super nice strollers). What sold me on this stroller was that it comes apart into 3 pieces (as a double stroller, 2 if it's a single). Since our space is limited, I can put the seats and frame anywhere in the car. It's not one big piece I have to make tons of room for. If you are looking for a stroller that folds and unfolds in one swoop, this is not the stroller for you. If you are needing to constantly fold and unfold the stroller, this is not for you. As far as doubles go, this takes a few steps to assemble. If you only have one hand to open and close the stroller, this stroller won't work for you. It is easy to put together and break down, but you'll need both hands. So, take the kids out of their carseats after you set the stroller up, and put them in their carseats before you try and put the stroller back in the car.
As far as durability is concerned, this stroller seems a lot stronger than I anticipated. My initial hesitation on this stroller was that some of it is made of plastic (like where the seat connects to the frame), which makes it lighter, but also makes it easier to break. I have only had this stroller a few month, so I can't testify to how it holds up to months or years of use, but from what I can tell, with my 4 y.o. getting in and out of the stroller, it seems like it will hold up for a long time.
A note on traveling with this stroller (as a double)through an airport: I purchased the babies-r-us stroller bag and it fits that bag, but you have to break it down all the way, as in take off both seats, take wheels off, fold the frame, and take double kit peg-things off. If you've disassembled and assembled this stroller before, it's really not hard. But it takes one or two miutes. It's not a one hand thing, like a double Graco. This stroller is heavy, especially when all the pieces are in one bag. Heavy! Let me tell you, you must get a bag for this stroller if you'll be putting it through an airport. They were so rough with our bag. It took some serious beatings. The stroller ended up with a few dings in the frame, but that's all. Nothing broken or damaged. You'd think they'd have a little decency, to treat others' things a bit nicer, but not so.
A few other things about the stroller I like: The wheels have the foam stuff in them, so they won't deflate, yet have the feel of inflatable wheels. Though I'm not a jogger/runner the wheels can be fixed so you can run/jog or go over rough terrain. The seats recline very nicely. Sometimes it's a little tricky to get the button in though. Scoping handle bar. I'm 5'3 so it's not a big deal for me, but my husband likes it scoped out (but he's not tall either, just likes it better). The canopies are big. My toddlers don't like the canopies down (they want to see everything) but my 2 y.o. has fallen asleep in the stroller a couple times, and the canopy keeps her nice and shaded. 5-point harness. My 2 y.o. needs that. And they are adjustable, as in you can make them go higher (by the shoulders) for taller kids and shorter for babies. The break is on the side of the handle bar, not on the bottom, by your feet. At first I thought that might be annoying. But I've found I like it better. Then, when I'm wearing flip flops I don't hurt my toes. But it would be nice if it was on both sides. The peek-a-boo window in the canopy has magnets to keep it closed, not velcro, so you won't wake baby when peeking at them. I also like the option of putting on that glider on the back for your kid to stand on. Haven't tried it, but like the option. I also love that I can use it as a single or double. It's not just a double, it's 2 strollers in one.
A few things they could improve upon: No parent console. And the one you buy separate doesn't seem to work well for the City Select (from other reviews). The seats (I have the 2010 model) are a bit small for my 4 y.o. The 2011 model seats are, I guess, a bit deeper. But there aren't many 4 y.o. that want to sit in a stroller very long. Her head isn't touching the top, yet, but it might within the year. If you have tall toddlers, you might want to try this out before buying.
Not perfect, but awfully close. This stroller isn't for everyone. The best advice I can give would be to go to a store that has one on display and try it out. Put your kids in it, fold it up, pick it up, etc. Really get a feel for it, and other strollers you are considering, before buying. This isn't a cheap stroller, so do some research and try it out if you can. In my book, it's been worth every penny. I hope this review has been helpful. I know I appreciated all the reviews on strollers, especially the thorough ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving My City Select! Perfect For Me!, June 10, 2010
Princess Jo (Beverly Hills, CA) - See all my reviews
I'm a first time mom who's done tons of research on everything I bought for my little one. I had a tough time finding a stroller that met all criteria on my "wants" list- high quality construction, excellent manueverability, rear facing seat capability, bassinet option, and not too heavy. I was also hoping the stroller could have the capability of accommodating a second seat (for the future). I considered the Bugaboo Cameleon Stroller Dark Grey Base, Red Canvas Fabric NEW! and the UPPAbaby Eco-friendly Vista Stroller, Yellow/Maya, but wasn't completely happy with those two. Then I saw the previews for the City Select, which wasn't released yet. I put myself on the waiting list and eagerly waited for the stroller. I was a bit uncertain about purchasing it online without first testing it out in person, and since it was back-ordered and sold out everywhere, I was also unsure about whether I'd get it by when I needed it. However, it was definitely worth the wait and also the cost!

It meets all my criteria (as stated above) and exceeds my expectations of a good stroller. The Ruby color is very nice, the fabric & the frame all feel top quality, and it is super easy to fold & unfold. An unexpected plus is that I have made very good use of the extra roomy basket and the adjustable handle (I'm 5'5" but I prefer the handle at the extended length). Since my little one is 2 months old, we've been using it mainly with the Baby Jogger Car Seat Adaptor and my Maxi Cosi Mico Infant Car Seat - Lily Pink (which is also a terrific car seat!). Being in LA, I drive everywhere and have not had any difficulty getting the stroller in and out of my car (even several times a day). I've used it with the Baby Jogger City Select Bassinet Kit, Ruby a couple of times, but my little one seems to like the snug feeling of the car seat instead. I just use the bassinet when she's sleeping for awhile outside of home and I'm not doing too much walking (like at church).

Overall, this is an excellent stroller and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone looking for a stroller similar to what I was looking for!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it (tho it's not perfect!), April 8, 2010
C. Kaiser (California USA) - See all my reviews
We have a 2yr old and a 2 month old. I wanted a double stroller that I could switch the seats to be forward or rear-facing. The city select seemed perfect! It's not, BUT I still really like it! And don't regret spending $600+ on it. I use the 2 seats, did not get bassinet or car seat adapter.

Pros:
I'm 5'9" and love how far the handle extends.
Love the brake on the handle
I like how easily and far back the seats recline. My 2mo old is very comfortable and safely restrained in his seat (even tho they officially say that it is recommended for infants 6mo+)
Like the diamond color and it seems to clean easily. I've had to wipe up some strawberry juice and it came right off.
Like the generous sun shades. Tho I must admit I have unzipped the mesh on the back (they say not to) to give it more room (to completely cover my baby when he's reclined)
Great basket with zippers to expand.
Customer service is great - had a rip in basket. Called them and they shipped another the next day.
LOVE that I can have my kiddos facing me or turn them around. I switch them up all the time. Of course, I don't use all 20 configurations, but I switch between 3 quite often.

Cons:
I didn't want a tandem stroller and this one is a bit tandem-like with both seats on. But of course it would be when you're trying to fit 2 kids on 1 stroller!
Difficult to push up and down dips in the sidewalk with my 30lb girl in the front. Makes my outside wrist sore. I did find a configuration that I liked with her closer to me and the baby in front.
Tough to push up over curbs. It's sturdy and I can actually pop it up just by pushing down on the handle with all my weight, but it's hard.
It's heavy to get in and out of my trunk. Oh well, it's what I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny., October 9, 2010
I have a 2.5 year old and a 4 month old, so I bought this in the spring when it was backordered and really hard to get. To be honest, I can't really think of a better double stroller setup (with the exception of a side-by-side, which I'm assuming is always going to be easier to push than a tandem - but I live in the city, so a side-by-side is just too big for shopping and getting in and out of the apartment). My main concern with buying this was...will it fit my toddler? She's like 90th % for height and the seat looked slight. She actually fits perfectly and has taken some really quality naps in the unit, so it must be comfortable to her. As other reviewers have said, it DOES have a very sensitive steering situation. One slight angle in the road/sidewalk and you will have to work to keep it straight. But it's a small price to pay for having both kids being super comfy and all the options that the stroller presents. The biggest thing I love about it is that I can still just use it as a single stroller when I need to - I don't go out with BOTH kids all the time and I love being able to pop the seat and/or car seat adapter in or out as I please. Yes, the unit is heavy, but show me a quality double stroller that isn't. It needs to be heavy to support the weight of both kids. Overall, great purchase. Don't let the price scare you. If there's one thing that you shouldn't skimp on with baby items, it's your stroller - you use it all the time. This is perfect for a first time mom who is planning on more kids b/c you can have so much flexibility down the road and not have to keep buying new strollers as your needs change (as I have had to do...).

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for 2 kids, April 3, 2010
This stroller is based on some good ideas. We have a 3 month old and a 18 month old and we were excited to be able to use this stroller as the kids grew. We did buy the second seat kit right away so that we could put the car seat on the stroller. With the second kid on the front, the stroller is very difficult to maneuver over any type of bump. It works well on the flat but not well at all for curbs etc. The stroller does fold up nice and compact when you take all the additions (seat, adapters, etc) off. Even with the foot rest completely extended, the bar at the end hits my 18 month old in the back of the ankle and his head is almost at the top of the backrest. The brake that is accessible on the side of the stroller is a good idea until you have the toddler facing you (so that you can get the car seat on the stroller up front in order to decrease the weight on the front) and then it is very easy for them to get to and to want to play with. Because of the way that the stroller folds, it is next to impossible to lift the front wheels up to get over a bump. The concept is great but it needs some work in order to be a good fit for this mom that likes to walk fast in our neighborhood.