Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LA Baby Organic Cotton 2 in 1 Crib Mattress - White
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 19, 2011
I am one of those moms that love everything healthy and organic for their baby and my friends have gone as far as to say I was obsessed with my baby only having the best. When I accidentally bumped into this crib mattress online, I was one happy mother! Organic, 2 in one and fairly priced! Surely this was too much to be true?

Imagine my surprise when it actually arrived in the mail and seemed to be everything it promised and more. The organic made me feel at ease as it was only the very best for my spoiled baby and the 2 in one toddler and baby sides meant that it would last the length that I needed it to!
There was one thing that I was slightly disappointed with and that is the firmness of the mattress itself on the baby side - I felt that it is not firm enough, especially for a newborn. So I decided to also give the Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress a try.

After trying out and swapping each mattress many times, I decided to keep the Soybean Foam Mattress, because it is firmer and lighter.

To explain firmer, first the baby sleeps deeply and fine on both mattresses, but on the firmer soy foam mattress, the baby would sleep with the face turned right or left, but on the organic cotton spring, the baby would sleep with face up making the back of the head flat, and during tummy time, the baby likes the firmer mattress because it is easier for her to push up and not sunken in.
As for lighter, I believe the soy foam is probably 10 times lighter then the cotton spring mattress. I can't change the sheet of the spring mattress on my own without a helping hand. But I was able to change the sheet on my own using the soy foam mattress.

I feel both products deserve 5 star reviews for quality, craftsmanship and value, but I'm giving it a 4 because it wasn't as firm as I was expecting. I decided to keep the soy foam for the points I mentioned and will give it a 5.
66 comments| 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2011
We purchased this crib mattress to replace an older one. It hasn't been used yet (still waiting for baby to arrive), but I'm very impressed. There was no awful plastic smell when we opened the packaging, the newborn and toddler sides are clearly labeled, and the mattress corners are square so there's no gap between the mattress and crib. Mattress seems very durable and of high quality.

Here is additional information from the label:
-242 heat tempered, heavy duty 15.5 gauge steel coils
-Heat tempered 6 gauge border rods for extra strength and support
-Added support layer for extra firmness (infant side)
-Support layer for unsurpassed durability
-100% organic cotton layers for extra comfort
-Cotton fire barrier topper
-Jacquard fabric cover- anti-bacterial and water resistant
-Air vents help to keep mattress fresh
-Cloth binding helps prevent edge seams from splitting
-Meets all federal and state flammability standards
Made in USA, 25 year warranty

**As of 1/21/12, we've been using this mattress about 6 months and love it. Mattress is very durable so far and has shown no signs of wear. The infant side is firm enough but not too firm that it appears uncomfortable for baby to sleep on. It is larger than our old crib mattress so we did have to buy some new sheets for it: American Baby Company Jersey Knit Crib Sheet, White fit perfectly and are very soft.
33 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2011
This mattress is such a meager price for what you get: First of all, it's cotton, so no plasticky grossness of the normal crib mattresses. Second of all, it's organic, which is super awesome for newborns-- especially when they spend so much time sleeping. Plus, this is 2 sided! We bought this for my daughter when she was a newborn and now we've flipped it over as she's on a toddler bed. We've bought another for her little brother who will be arriving any day now. One of my highest recommendations for baby!
33 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2013
Hi,
I called the LA BABY today because I received the mattress and there were some problems- I could feel the springs.
When I called them I also asked about some things that I was curious about when ordering the item (should have done more research before I purchased it). The waterproof backing is made of polyurethane, and they do use a fire retardant- boric acid. So, if you are looking for completely organic mattress, this has some things that might make you feel uneasy.
Amazon customer service was great though, so no problem returning it.
55 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2011
I bought this mattress because everyone had given it a five star. I received it yesterday and was thoroughly disappointed. It may well be made out of organic cotton but it cannot be good for infants. It is not firm at all (yes, I checked the infant side, not the toddler side) and I can't imagine it being safe for an infant. Moreover, when you press on the sides, you can actually feel the spring. This is going back to Amazon.
on September 21, 2012
I must be honest, I really wanted a Naturepedic mattress and just didn't have it in my budget to purchase it, so at the last minute I was on the hunt for alternatives. While there are quite a few other eco friendly options on the market, I found this one to be the best compromise for it's eco-friendly 2 in 1 design and affordable pricing.

What I like about this is that it's firm enough to be safe without it being so firm it's uncomfortable for your infant to sleep on. I like that upon it's arrival, there was NO SMELL coming from the mattress, which was important, especially since several others who posted complained that their beds had a bad/weird smell. It's a large crib mattress and has a good amount of coils, which is a feature you find in more expensive brands. The high coil count really offers good support, but it's downside is that it makes for a heavier bed. I like that there was a soft cotton cover and that the bed was made up of some organic and eco-friendly materials. The pricing reflects this and those who complain that it's not enough should be looking into more expensive options. I really like that this has a toddler side as well, which is slightly softer due to it's quilted top, which makes it feel more like a cozy, adult bed. I have the PBK Larkin Sleigh crib and it's a beast and this was one of only a short list of beds that would properly fit my child's bed frame.

My daughter has been using this bed for almost 8months now and she slept in this bed since she came home from the hospital. She always seems comfortable and never fights being put to bed not even during naps and I feel it's because she LIKES her bed. She's of average weight and height and I've yet to see any wear/dents in her bed like others have mentioned. As a rule of thumb I regularly rotate where I place her to sleep so that she "wears" out the bed evenly, and I encourage all parents to do the same.

The only downside about this bed is that it not fully waterproof, but then again, neither was the Naturpedic 2 in 1 bed I wanted. I always use a orgainc waterproof mattress pad and would have done so even if this bed was fully waterproof.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with this bed, it has no foul off gassing, has the perfect balance of safe firmness and comfort, it's showing no signs of wear, and it has many of the same features of expensive crib mattresses at a much better price point. For a eco-friendly 2 in 1 crib mattress, you really can't get any better than this for the price, especially if you can get it at under $80 like I did!

I HIGHLY recommend the purchase of this crib mattress for anyone who's looking for a high quality eco-friendly crib at a very reasonable price. It's great to give as a gift and will last for many years to come.
on September 14, 2012
We've had this mattress for 4 months and love it. I noticed no smells at all. I've had 3 other crib mattresses, including the Sealy Naturalis Crib Mattress with Organic Cotton that I got for an amazing deal at Target for my previous child who still uses it. This mattress looks and feels way better in quality than any of the other mattresses I've seen, especially those covered in plastic. If you're a new mom, definitely go with this mattress for around a hundred dollars, than a cheaper or even more expensive alternative. The infant side is firm enough but not uncomfortable, and the toddler side is even more comfortable. My Sealy one doesn't have two sides of different firmnesses so it's not as good just from that standpoint. Go look at some mattresses in this price range at the store, and then order this one with confidence. You'll see when you get it that you made the right decision. And if it doesn't fit your crib, Amazon has a long free-return policy for baby items.
on December 6, 2014
Well... It is a mattress designed for someone much smaller than myself, so I can't really assess the comfort.

It arrived on time
It did not have a smell when it was opened
It fit my crib
It has two sides that are clearly marked along with plenty of safety information
It does what it is supposed to do.
on June 19, 2012
I'm about three weeks away from having my second child, the first is almost two years old. I haven't gotten to see how #2 will sleep on it yet, but I have no doubts that he'll love it as much as I do! There was no bad scent to speak of when we opened it, and Amazon had it packaged very tightly in the box, which made me feel better because I know that it couldn't have been bouncing around en route.
As for the mattress itself, I'm very particular about the things I get for my kids, even more so when it comes to the bigger and more important things that will be used daily. This exceeded all of my expectations! As opposed to other reviewers, I inspected the mattress very carefully when it arrived and can't imagine how it could be described as "lumpy". I also felt no springs or coils at all. After receiving it I was able to compare it to other mattresses at a couple of big baby stores, and I was so pleased that I got this one instead of any of the $300 or $400 mattresses that I saw which didn't even compare in any of the things I was looking for. I love love love that it doesn't have the rattling vinyl layer on top as my daughters mattress did. You can actually see the ventilation spots along the side unlike other mattresses I've seen they claim to be breathable but don't look like it at all. It's very soft, (in comparison to other crib mattresses) but not in any way that would make me question its safety at all. Personally, I was relieved that it didn't feel like a cement slab like sooo many other mattresses I've felt. You really have to feel it to understand, but it's soft without taking away from the sturdiness at all! It also fit perfectly into our standard crib. I could go on and on, but I'm thrilled to have found this and it's relieved some of my late-pregnancy nerves having this mattress for our son to sleep on when he gets here!
on September 16, 2012
We bought this mattress to replace our traditional firm crib mattress since our 19-month old sleeps much better on a softer surface. The Amazon price can't be beat and I liked the fact that it is organic (our traditional crib mattress off-gassed something terrible). The toddler side still provides support but has the 'give' that I was looking for. Yes, you can feel the springs around the sides of the mattress, but it won't be noticeable to my kiddo. She seems to like it and sleeps well on it. No smell when it came out of the package! It is a good quality mattress, but not 'great', hence the price. This fits the bill for what we were looking for, an organic yet reasonbly-priced toddler mattress, as we won't need it once our toddler outgrows it. However, if I was a first-time parent again and needed it for several years/multiple children, I would spend the extra money and buy a higher quality organic mattress.