5.0 out of 5 stars My two year old loves this book!, May 20, 2006
L. Adams (Davidson, NC) - See all my reviews
If you have a toddler that loves "babies" then he/she will love this book! I checked this book out of the library for my 23 month old son last month. He has memorized practically every word ... and loves to chime in saying "up, up, up" and "bye, bye babies." This book is beautifully illustrated and my son loves to point to the pictures as I am reading. My son was so upset when we had to take this book back to the library today (he keeps asking for his "baby book") that I am now ordering it on-line for him!

5.0 out of 5 stars 15 month old demands us to read it before naps and bedtime!, May 4, 2007
JohnnyC (Arlington, VA (USA)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I agree with the previous reviewer, this is a fun little book, with very pleasant watercolor illustrations, that little ones just seem to love! We got this for our son when he was about 8 months old (ok, maybe a bit too early!), and he didn't have much interest, but about a month ago, around 14 months old, I brought it out again and he was captivated!

He likes to kiss the baby getting cuddled by mommy for bumping his behind landing off the sliding board, and points to the book while we're changing him for bedtime, well before it's "officially" story time.

We just got the book as a gift for the one-year birthday of a friend's son, and I can't wait to see if he likes it, too.

Highly recommend this one, especially if you have a baby who likes to go to the park, and likes looking at other babies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Babies can relate, January 6, 2008
K. Jenkins (Indianapolis, USA) - See all my reviews
This is my 16th month olds favorite book. At the last page, she always says "more." We read it a minimum of 3 times in a row every time.

Unlike many of her other books, it features objects and scenarios she understands: baby in a diaper, baby with a brush. The plot follows all the steps in a typical toddler day: playtime, eating in a highchair, bathtime, and then bedtime.

I need to find more books like this. Because it was clearly written with the mental life of a baby in mind. It captivates her in a way most of our other baby books do not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated, October 30, 2008
This is one of my 11-month old daughter's favorite books. At first, I was a little worried about giving her a book with pages she could tear, but she really loves the illustrations. We read it to her before bedtime and naps. If she spots it on the floor when we're in her room for a diaper change, she has to take a look at it and point out the baby's bear and ball on each page. The story is simple and echoes my daughter's own daily routine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, November 13, 2013
A really wonderful book. The pictures leave a lot of room for open discussion, which is so great for language development.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for toddlers!, March 29, 2012
I bought Baby Talk for my daughter when she turned a year old, but she really became interested in it around 22 months. She loves this book! The language is nice and simple, and it's written about things toddlers are familiar with: the park, baths, meals, and clothes.

It also rhymes, which is great for a toddler book, but many of the rhymes are a little awkward. She rhymes brush and up, coat and out, spoon and gone. It annoyed me at first, but I've read it so many times that I'm used to it.

If you don't mind a few strange rhymes, then this is a fantastic book for little ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Daughter's favorite Book, October 2, 2011
My daughter is nearly 3.5 now, and from the time she was 1-2 we read this countless times. It will be firmly embedded in my memory for many years to come, and ours is so well worn, that I need to purchase a new one for our son. At one point I could recite this while driving in the car to calm our daughter out of a tantrum, and she'd say many of the lines with me. I should probably get another just to save for when our daughter one day has kids. Its a great early book. I can't recommend it enough. We have some other ones my this author and none of the others captured her attention quite like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars We all love this book, August 1, 2011
Bought for my first child several years ago, and she loved it. My second child, a son, loved it so much the pages got worn out, and we had to buy a new one! Story is easily relatable to babies - it starts with baby getting dressed, then going to the playground, then eating, taking a bath, and going to bed. Perfect for learning everyday vocabulary. Text rhymes, and illustrations are adorable. Only gripe - I wish the book was a bit smaller, as it is a bit hard to hold the book and turn the pages with a baby on your lap.

5.0 out of 5 stars completely captivating for two year olds!, May 7, 2011
This review is from: Baby Talk: A Book of First Words and Phrases (Hardcover)
I got this book when my oldest child was about 20 months old. It was one of her favorite book until she was about 2-1/2. She was so in love with it that I went out and ordered the two other books I could find written by this author/illustrator team (which were also hits, though not to the same extent). When my second child hit about 18 months, I kept trying to pull this book out for him but he had absolutely zero interest. I figured maybe it was a fluke that my daughter liked it, or that she liked it because she had a new baby brother at this age, and that it just wasn't for every kid. Well, as soon as my son turned two he became completely obsessed with this book too, and now he tosses aside Elmo and Thomas and his truck books and begs for this book only at night, and usually he asks for repeated readings until I finally have to put it away.

I have no idea why it's so captivating for this age. The book just chronicles a day in the life of a baby boy (maybe just under 1 year old), getting dressed, going to the park, eating dinner, going to bed, but the illustrations are charming and the "story" is written in rhythmical stanzas of a sort, so it sounds a little bit like a song ("Baby in the swings now, watch the baby go; baby swinging up high, baby swinging low..."). I think the kids also relate to the activities pictured, since it is all typical for them. But, mostly I think it is this cadence and rhyming that appeals to my kids, and it also makes it strangely fun to read aloud (and believe me, I've read many books that make me want to drill holes in my head).

I wouldn't get this for a child younger than 2 or older than 3 but if you have a kid in that sweet spot, this is a definite winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book !, March 30, 2011
Babci (east coast, USA) - See all my reviews
An excellent book and wonderful illustrations. My 20 month old granddaughter wants me to read this book to her every day, and I don't mind a bit. After only a couple of readings, she began to repeat some words- which is the whole point of the book ! Events in the book are all recognizable to her, I even found her reading it to herself !!

Baby Talk: A Book of First Words and Phrases
Baby Talk: A Book of First Words and Phrases by Judy Hindley (Hardcover - March 28, 2006)
Out of stock